Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really hate the smug tone of these "global warming, eh?" cartoons and their portrayal of people concerned about it as hippie fun-hating assholes. Look, I deeply wish global warming was a hoax. This isn't some justification we've created so we can be mad at SUVs and oil companies just because we hate them, it's worrying about the literal future of the human race.

I think it's illustrative of the difference of mindset between conservatives and liberals in a way, because conservatives often seem to be driven more by spite of the opposite side rather than true devotion to their own beliefs. And because that's the way they perceive the world, they project that same mindset onto their opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do Israelis commonly use the justification that "God promised us this land thousands of years ago" to support occupation or is there a more modern political justification they use?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What's that in reference to anyways?

Not occupying Iraq and Afghanistan for eternity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

The whole question of a Jewish homeland in Palestine was still sort of hanging around in British politics, since in 1936-37 the Peel Commission recommended a partition of the British Mandate of Palestine into Jewish and Muslim zones. The Commission also gave me one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes:

I always heard that a major motivating factor in the Allied powers creating the Jewish homeland after WWII was trying to avoid a massive influx of Jewish immigration. Is there truth to that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sockser posted:

Melting polar caps means more water in the oceans/rivers/lakes etc. You've heard of the lake effect? Water holds more heat than air or land, so more water = less heat. Also it means more water so you can have crazy loving hurricanes like Sandy. That's why 'global warming' is kind of a bad term. There's a lot more than that going on.

Actually there isn't a demonstrable increase in the number or intensity of weather events that can be attributable to global warming. For the same reason that "it's cold, no global warming" is a bad argument, "it's Sandy, therefore global warming" is a bad argument. Descrete and local weather phenomenon are not proof of anything, and by the time the planet is warmed enough to positively correlate such things, we'll have much bigger climate-related problems to deal with. Famine due to climate change in breadbasket regions and the spread of tropical diseases, not to mention rising ocean levels are the real bad outcomes of global warming.

Also you don't have to point to hurricanes or tornadoes or whatever, because we have the actual temperature data that proves that the planet is warming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Does anybody remember what the reaction was to the big push to do away with CFCs? I remember it being a big thing that CFCs were bad and we needed to replace all the appliances that used them, but was there a similar pushback of,"Lol how do refrigerator make sunburn :laugh:" thinking?

It probably wasn't as bad as it didn't require us to basically modify almost every aspect of our lives.

Actually, I want to elaborate on this a bit, because it goes back to what I said earlier about spite being the primary motivation for your average conservative. Reducing energy consumption is a net positive for almost every American. More fuel efficient cars save you money. CFLs save you money. Any kind of conservation effort is going to save you money. But because environmentalism has become conflated with liberalism in American culture, people take a perverse sort of pride in driving big, fuel-inefficient cars and scoffing at conservation efforts, even to the detriment of their own wallets. You've probably seen bumper stickers, and we've all seen cartoons that extol the kind of conspicuous consumption that owning a Ford Behemoth owns, and it doesn't stem from any sort of rational self-interest (sorry Austrian economists). It's more to thumb their noses at the enemy, the idiot libtards, at their own literal monetary expense. It's ironic that the same voices that say the government should be run like a home or business fiscally at the same time ignore this idea when it comes to their own pocketbooks, and not for any good reason other than "gently caress Obama."

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 7, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The arguments from the 1930s are:

-Weed makes blacks violent and rowdy.
-Weed makes them want to rape.
-Weed is consumed by blacks.
-If you consume weed you are like the blacks.

And other various classist and racist reasons.
Not until the war on drugs would you find reasons other than vague discriminations.

Don't forget all the arguments that replace "black" with "Mexican"!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So rather than the 1930's arguments, we go to arguments based in 19th century tsarist Russia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Dueling scars were traditionally horizontal (in most instances), and on the side of the cheek. They were a big status symbol for German men in previous centuries, as it marked whoever had one as a part of the upper class, and usually as having attended university back when that was much more exclusive of a thing.

Yeah apparently when a young German nobleman got a cut on the face they would do things like pack the wound with horsehair to make sure it was big and nasty :gonk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shoot coward, I am only a man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This guys got some talent for sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Furthermore this rules and is also correct.

It must suck so hard to be a native American, you have almost no voting power and you've seen your culture denigrated and your race nearly wiped out. So many native Americans live in abject poverty but no one talks about their problems really. It's hard to believe that slavery is only the second worst thing this country has every done.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do many natives vote Republican?

There aren't many native Americans to vote period. 2010 census put their numbers at 5.2 million, but if you limit that to people that reported native as their sole race, that number is just over 3 million. Nearly a third of those report Cherokee. For a college journo class I did a piece on this native American groundskeeper who was super active in the native rights movement, and he told me that people that claim Cherokee are kind of ostracized by other tribes because they have such a low threshold for membership in the tribe (I think it was like 1/32 bloodline).

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's pro-Democrat as that roll is hung in the proper, underhand manner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obama's poll numbers are positive right now, but whatever JR!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

The...cartoon didn't imply they weren't positive?

I mean, it's just a tepid "nobody likes politicians" joke that you'd expect from JRRose!

Temperatures haven't been exactly tepid this week mate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is going to be carved on JR's headstone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's definitely Ramirez. It could not be more Ramirez if he drew him running around literally labelling random things "DEBT". Which he did. This is the sine qua non of Ramirez.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rushputin posted:

Thanks, I was wondering where that debt-gorilla avatar was from.

I'm slightly disappointed, because in typical Bors fashion, it would probably have been funnier if it was just a single panel joke with what's shown in the last two ones.

It's kind of an esoteric joke if you don't follow political cartoons from places other than your own newspaper. Most people who read op-ed pages probably couldn't tell you the name of their own syndicate's cartoonist much less anyone else's. I almost feel like it was a special Bors just for us :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That is becoming the matroska doll of posts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wasn't that like, the first year of his presidency?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

It's actually because we have significant numbers of different races, unlike in most countries in Europe, but hey!

It's even more than that, we have a relatively large population of former slaves and then a deep history of institutional racism after that. The relationship between African and Anglo Americans is almost unique in the world, and I don't think it has a comparable analogue outside of maybe South Africa.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rodbeard posted:

Actually the first slave ship to come to America was Dutch.

Following the slave blame game leads you to "B..bbut it was Africans who sold other Africans to white slavers so slavery is black people's fault :byodood: ".

This is a popular opinion among racists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JR Rose has a serious Pun Problem, we need to set up an intervention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oh man one of the comments on this is spectacular

This is in reponse to this: "You'd be an even bigger fan of the taxes you'd have to pay to educate, feed, clothe, house, etc , all those kids if they had been born, and gotten on welfare."

I'm absolutely certain every social ill on earth would be solved by the magical baby taht someone aborted.

Counterpoint: 100 of them would be Hitlers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something more thoughtful about that quote: the conservative mindset is that all problems have a single, easy solution that someone just hasn't come up with yet and aren't a result of widespread systemic problems that need painful and difficult reforms to overcome. I see it all the time here in Texas; the state is constantly getting sued by school districts for violating their constitutional requirement to provide "equal and effective education to all children". So every other session they come back in under a court order to fix the education system and they shuffle around this dollar here and that dollar there and come up with some new accountability standards that don't solve the root problem of education inequality, that is, wealth inequality. The solution to Texas school problems is more loving revenue but they would have to raise taxes!!!! to get it. So rather than face that difficult reality they just assume that one day, someone is going to stumble upon the one surprising trick to providing fair and good education (liberals hate him!!!) and that easy solution will let them keep taxes criminally low, their wealth intact and their selfish constituents happy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Little Blackfly posted:

Chechens don't usually wear bright white keffiyehs. Listen I know how hard it is to keep track, but could you at least try to vary the colouring a bit, instead of making every terrorist look like Yasser Arafat?

Odds that Gorrel even knows that the word keffiyeh even exists or applies to that style of head scarf?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eschers Basement posted:

OBAMACAREWERE (WOLF) (WILL ATTACK KILL POOR TEENAGERS (FORCED TO NECK IN ABANDONED PARKING LOTS BUY INTO IT (BECAUSE OLD PEOPLE NEED THEM TO))) (BY DEATH PANELS)

Somebody needs to warn JRR that someone's broken into his Pun Depository.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

You cant decide to "not be a father." I don't know how that works.

It starts with going to the store for a pack of smokes...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's with all the Koch Bros. cartoons in the last few days? I mean, they've been the shadowy puppet masters behind the Tea Party for like five years at least? Why now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Apparently they're trying to take over the GOP itself, including creating a think-tank to push their own Koch-trained candidates into the party.

Oh no! If this works, does that mean that the GOP will become a backwards, tone deaf party of oligarchs that ignore the plight of all women and minorities!! :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BlueBlazer posted:

The thing about the oligarchs is that whenever they raise someone to figure head status they get destroyed.

Since when?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Playing Golf. The one unforgivable Presidential Sin that Obama is the first president ever to indulge in. Also teleprompters, taking vacations and giving speeches somewhere other than DC. OBAMA!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But if presidents playing golf is bad, then how come

Oh right, that drive sliced a bit to the right and struck and destroyed Communism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never really understood why presidents publicly play golf. Or, is it just me who sees it as a game that exists to keep rich people away from normal people?

It's kind of cool to see Obama playing golf, given the history of exclusionary country clubs. Probably really riles up your more affluent southern gentlemen.

But yes, since every President since, uh, forever has been a member of the oligarch class, it is in no way surprising to see them play their traditional game. And remember, people see golf as aspirational, that one day they too will be rich enough to participate. Americans could see a rich man literally holding food out of the reach of a starving child and think "one day, I hope I am that rich man."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lemming posted:

The post office is amazing. How the hell did they get the correct address from that letter?

I imagine they just know that illegible angry scrawl in the Chatanooga area is going to Bennett's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Heh, "science". :smug:

I cannot find a single reputable source on his claim. I think it's referencing a report from a geology professor at the prestigious Western Washington University. But I'm getting a bunch of links to nutbag 1990's style websites so it's probably true.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

What on earth makes you think they look for anything other than someone in a lab coat that agrees with them?

I don't it's just irritating that they can dismiss literally thousands of scientific studies and analyses that show a strong anthropogenic warming trend and then find one study that says differently and suddenly they believe in studies, well that one at least. Yes yes, my deep cynicism should inoculate me from that but sometimes it doesn't work ok!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fandyien posted:

I know this is more or less the height of lazy craftsmanship but this might be my favorite Gorrell ever. I loving despise that statue of Robert E. Lee because I have to drive by that traitorous ratfuck all the time so it's nice to see an otherwise poo poo-for-brains conservative replace him with a black feller. Plus since it's about football it's way less offensive then Gorrell's usual dreck.

If he did local political cartoons I think I'd die of a rage-induced stroke.

Is there an RE Lee statue in Seattle or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The best thing about JRR is the ! at the end of his signature.

"Here goes Obama blaming Bush again. All that stuff is way in the past!!"

"BILL CLINTON! CHAPPAQUIDICK!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fandyien posted:

What? Why?

Because winter is cold! And JR Rose don't like it!

He's the Pluggers of the political cartoon world.

• Locked thread