Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My resolution: Turn the Studebaker into a good driver. Get the idle speed and mixture set right, fix rust spots, get the radio working, maybe fit a transmission with overdrive.

And then drive somewhere with goons at 55 mph (because my car likes that a lot more than 64). Seriously any San Francisco area goons, let's roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

This is the year I stop buying rusty shitbox projects that end up going nowhere. It has happened way too much recently, and when it got to the point a few years back where I had five cars crammed into a 1.5 car driveway / carport, I said enough is enough. Then recently the Valiant and the E30 came along and welp... So my 2014 resolution comes down to being a very good boy and not spending anymore money on bullshit I don't need over the next six months or so. This is the year I buy what I've wanted for many, many years. A US classic of some kind. I even have a plan!

The current plan:
Replace my current VZ wagons rear shocks, exhaust, coils, harmonic balancer, crank angle sensor and sell the fucker before it blows something major again and goes over my self imposed 'half the purchase price' limit. It's already eaten about $4000 in non service / workshop repairs over three years and cost $11,500 initially to buy, so it's nearing it's sell point for me. A polish, bay detail and above repairs and I should be able to snag 5-6k for it quite easily.

Sell the E30 before it's exhaust deafens me / the racing seats break my spine / the pedal position destroys what's left of my knee cartlidge.

Do my best to get debt free throughout this period. Only ~$6000 of combined debt to blow through! Go me! Most likely using the sale of the two cars to cover that and pay out all my debt in one hit, leaving me with a fair chunk left over to put into 'initial car repairs fund' if anything needs fixing / replacing in the first six months, or if I need to replace things when the car lands.

Once debt free, bug the bank again for a $12-14k loan which should be easier to wrangle from them thanks to previous one.

Buy a cheap local / go through a broker and import and finally live my dream of buying a US built classic.

Rules for choices I'm sticking to trying to stick to probably going to completely ignore and end up buying a totally unparkable 60's Caddy / Lincoln because holy poo poo fins / suicide doors:
No Mustangs - Can't fart without hitting one these days, and parts are overpriced because the aftermarket knows this. Also overpriced for a good example to begin with so not bothering with 90% of them unless the price is good enough.

No Corvettes - Same as above with a few cheap diamonds in the rough, but mostly overpriced half finished bullshit. Maybe a Stingray if price is right?

Nothing 6 volt - $3000+ job to rewire for hassle free motoring. Also very hard to find major electrical parts for so trying to steer clear.

Must have service parts commonly available - Pretty wide open thanks to the aftermarket, but any of the more common engine sizes is good for service / interchangeable bolt on parts [289, 350, 440 etc can pickup or order most service stuff from local auto shop].

Nothing much bigger than the Commodore [~5033mm] - Holy poo poo it's built for Aussie roads, and yet I still feel like I'm in a cruise ship in carparks, especially multistory which becomes a goddamn nightmare. This may be the hard part in regards to final choices, but I'm sure I can adapt to whatever I buy and LHD will be a new thing to me, so since it will be like learning all over again, it may not be so bad.

Nothing made after about the mid 70's - Because nearly everything gets super ugly and weird. Except maybe a mid 70's Grand Prix because they have a certain ugliness that just looks so ni NO!

The biggest challenges are not spending money I don't need to and if I do an import, it could be up to six months before the prick of a thing lands onshore, which means if I sell the VZ and E30, I have to drive the other halves 90's Camry around for that entire time :suicide: Importing also brings the wrath of ASIQ such as quarantine and if it's not cleaned properly, it has to go through again and again until it is, costing around $400 a hit, as well as all sorts of stupid registration issues which boil down to govt. paperwork nitpicking, but I'm sure I can get through all that with research.

This is the year I make this poo poo happen. :getin:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

H1KE posted:

So my 2014 resolution comes down to being a very good boy and not spending anymore money on bullshit I don't need over the next six months or so. This is the year I buy what I've wanted for many, many years. A US classic of some kind. I even have a plan!

Get a Studebaker and we can be Studebros :getin:

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Get a Studebaker and we can be Studebros :getin:

A Golden Hawk or Daytona would be hot poo poo. Just the right size and still fairly easy to maintain. Or a Scotsman with tartan seat trim. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Avantiiiiiiiiiiiii

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Trade the Prius in for a Fiesta ST, preferably the one I ordered.
Sell all the parts I have for vehicles I no longer own.
Move the E30 from storage to my new place and yank out the destroyed M50.
Either pay someone else to swap in the M50B25Tu I have sitting around or set time aside to do it myself.
Fix and sell my R6.
Sell the F250.
Don't buy more vehicles.
Do more track days.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Learn to TIG weld
Kill off at least one more student loan, catch up on another, pay off remaining back bills (long story short, my finances were hosed for a year and a half, then I got an awesome job)
Super secret engine swap on ACEofsnett's truck
Harass Rhyno into buying an awesome old AMC and then putting some retarded drivetrain swap in it. Egg him and BoostCreep on in a race to the starting line.
Get the XJ up to snuff, new rear suspension, 5 speed swap, fix rust, rally raid the poo poo out of it
Maybe buy the rocky land behind my property and start planning a shop build. Who knows. I should probably finish my house first, but logic and reason never stopped me before.

(at least two of the following)
Hack the MJ back together, log at least another 30 seconds of flight time, collect more parts for its reincarnation
Get the 5.9 MJ project started for real
New engine and/or trans and/or tires/wheels/paint for the 5 ton, because I officially have less than a year until it's eligible for antique registration!

sharkytm posted:

1. Work more normal hours (never gonna happen)
2. Be more patient
3. Sell/give away lathe
4. Maintain my vehicles a bit better
5. Keep plugging away on the house and garage, install new gas heater before spring
6. Fix wife's boat
7. Sell civic
8. Simplify
Edit:
Do more metal working
Go to more #neai meets
Prep for three months in the sandbox (departing sometime in May)

we miss you :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have low aspirations. Changing the original timing belt on my 14 year old 128K miles miata, or selling it and buying one that doesn't need a timing belt. I don't which one is more trouble.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The timing belt on a NB is not bad. Just don't try to cheap out and do the belt only like I thought I was going to get away with at 100k; I ended up paying a lot more to buy the idlers and water pump locally than if I had bought a kit.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Current plans for my 1982 Volvo 245:

In order:

* Repair the drivers door
* Repair the reverse switch so my reverse lights work
* Repair / replace interior
* Repair the headliner
* Replace interior and exterior lights with LEDs
* Repair exhaust
* Begin gathering parts to +T the brick

Once the rain season winds down, I'll be hitting up more junkyards again.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
-Get the wife a new (to her) vehicle. Something like a Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, or CRV type vehicle.
-Use her old car as a DD
-(Much later in the year) Consider swapping my truck for either a 7.3 diesel or a Jeep. Would really like something with a manual transmission, though I've been told for both diesels and jeeps this is a Bad Idea™.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

QuarkMartial posted:

-Get the wife a new (to her) vehicle. Something like a Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, or CRV type vehicle.
-Use her old car as a DD
-(Much later in the year) Consider swapping my truck for either a 7.3 diesel or a Jeep. Would really like something with a manual transmission, though I've been told for both diesels and jeeps this is a Bad Idea™.

I drive a manual Wrangler and it does fine rock crawling and driving on the road. Most OTR trucks are manual transmissions with a ridiculous number of gears and a big fuckoff diesel.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
* End 2014 with the same serviceable, boring, cheap vehicles I currently own. (A 2004 Rav4 and a 1996 Kawi Ninja 500.)
* Keep them exceptionally well maintained, don't cut any corners.
* Eliminate desire from my heart.
* Seriously, don't buy anything else you idiot.

edit:

* Get Ninja 500 in shape for trackdays. Do trackdays.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 8, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I think I need to add "find Matra Murena and apply Inspector Gadget livery", but that might more of a life goal than a 2014 one.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

EightBit posted:

I drive a manual Wrangler and it does fine rock crawling and driving on the road. Most OTR trucks are manual transmissions with a ridiculous number of gears and a big fuckoff diesel.

See, that's my thinking. Supposedly manuals are weaker in diesels and the mfg won't service them or they wear out sooner or some other bs I've not gotten to look into. In a Jeep, all I plan to do is some mild offroading; I don't want to rock climb or anything like that. Just wanna go out in the woods to camp or fish and not worry about getting stuck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

2014 Goals...
-Sell the 928
-Do 5 ChumpCar/WRL races, don't wreck the car
-Finish the E21
-Pull the rest of the stuff I want from the parts E21, scrap the rest
-Do all the maintenance I've been deferring on the TDI
-Sell the two project bikes and DO NOT pick up other project bikes
-DO NOT buy any more vehicles

Bonus Goal...
-Do a Below Zero driving school - http://www.belowzeroicedriving.com/

Super Bonus Goal...
-Build a shop

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 9, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
New plan, provided I have a job by tax time:
Trade in wife's car plus tax return on a Mazda tribute/Whatever
Grab a cheapo 5spd Civic (or other 4cyl) as a beater DD
Save for my Jeep/Diesel
Enjoy life :whatup:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

QuarkMartial posted:

New plan, provided I have a job by tax time:
Trade in wife's car plus tax return on a Mazda tribute/Whatever
Grab a cheapo 5spd Civic (or other 4cyl) as a beater DD
Save for my Jeep/Diesel
Enjoy life :whatup:

I've been looking at cheap 4 cylinder beaters to put a million miles on and right now the Focus and Cobalt both have my eye. They're both dirt cheap used and both seem to be fairly bulletproof.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

8ender posted:

I've been looking at cheap 4 cylinder beaters to put a million miles on and right now the Focus and Cobalt both have my eye. They're both dirt cheap used and both seem to be fairly bulletproof.

I see a lot of them at work and they seem pretty cheap nd easy to work on. They're everywhere, so I'm sure junkyard panels would be a dime a dozen, too. Honestly, a car I give no fucks about at all sounds like a lot of fun.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Altering AI resolution. Buy some kind of old iron.

It would be nice to keep a good list of all this then see who crosses poo poo off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I need to get my Miata up to par maintenance wise, it needs a ton of poo poo done. and if I can afford it I'd like to add a Ground Control setup.

Also would like to sell the Crown Vic and get newer low mileage Caravan, or dump some more money into the CV to keep it going another 100k. Nice Caravans can be had cheap though, so I'm tempted to trade up to something that doesn't need a load of poo poo done to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Altering AI resolution. Buy some kind of old iron.

It would be nice to keep a good list of all this then see who crosses poo poo off.

Repeating my previous post, assuming I understand your "old iron" correctly:

Become a Studebro.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Repeating my previous post, assuming I understand your "old iron" correctly:

Become a Studebro.

As sweet as a Studebaker would be... I have found my lust.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4266523761.html

Uses the same engine as Land Rovers, so it would be easy to pop out the old 215 (3.5L) and put in a 4.6 Rover motor in its place and run fuel injection with a tune. CSB has already provided me guidance on what I want to do. If I don't want to dick with the fuel injection, all I have to do is strip the intake, distributor, and a few other things off the old motor and put it in the 4.6 short block motor. If not, I can easily make it a stroker motor with a crank out of a Buick 300.

I am hoping tax time provides a decent return!

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 12, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

As sweet as a Studebaker would be... I have found my lust.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4266523761.html

Uses the same engine as Land Rovers, so it would be easy to pop out the old 215 (3.5L) and put in a 4.6 Rover motor in its place and run fuel injection with a tune. CSB has already provided me guidance on what I want to do. If I don't want to dick with the fuel injection, all I have to do is strip the intake, distributor, and a few other things off the old motor and put it in the 4.6 short block motor. If not, I can easily make it a stroker motor with a crank out of a Buick 300.

I am hoping tax time provides a decent return!

1962, has "lark" in the name, 2 door... Close enough to my Studebaker, buy it and consider yourself an almost-Studebro

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Miata:
- AIM Solo

I wouldn't. A high rate GPS + an android phone will be better. Bonus points for being able to review poo poo in the paddock in your hand instead of on a laptop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

I wouldn't. A high rate GPS + an android phone will be better. Bonus points for being able to review poo poo in the paddock in your hand instead of on a laptop.

I have Trackmaster and a Qstarz 818XT. It's a piece of poo poo.

It's better than using GoPro video and guesstimating laptimes; however, the Google Docs backend is loving terrible.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Try RaceChrono. It's the bomb.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
1) Hit 400 AWHP
2) Do at least 3 track weekends without having to work on the car every weekend.
2.5) Only drop the transmission once this year. :sigh:
3) Actually enjoy the car instead of hating it with every fibre of my being.
4) Repaint it and get the front bumper mounted better.

I'm going to guess I'm going to hit at least ONE of those goals. I hope.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

13 INCH DICK posted:

Look the key word is that it has potential okay

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/4262559362.html

Here, I even found you a parts car! (I'm kinda curious how much moving it from Tampa to Seattle would be now)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Get the 56 running. That's it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fart Pipe posted:

If you don't I will sneak in sometime in January 2015 and EFI swap it :unsmigghh:

(If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

If you don't I will sneak in sometime in January 2015 and EFI swap it :unsmigghh:

(If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.)

It is cause thems fightin words. I'm down for an FI toxx though.

e: I will fund it and do all the bitch work if kastein does the smart guy work

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 14, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a 242ci inline 6 right, I know how to deal with those. I'll use RENIX just to make sure it works :banjo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

It is cause thems fightin words. I'm down for an FI toxx though.

e: I will fund it and do all the bitch work if kastein does the smart guy work

Well that's one Toxx clause we won't get to see.

IOwnCalculus posted:

1. Get the GMC back into roadworthy shape and keep it there.

The next two are going to be a one or the other sort of thing, depending on where I want to spend money. I need to do number 1 first, then go test driving.

2. Replace the Ranger with something not lovely (current short list is Toyobaru, Abarth, or Fiesta ST, not that I've actually driven any of the three)

3. 5-lug swap the GMC, including proper wheels, rear discs. Maybe a trailing arm conversion, maybe some significant front suspension work. Build the LS1 to somewhere around 450hp at the crank. Possibly replace the Ranger still, but with something much cheaper than my shortlist above.

4. Clean the drat garage.

1. Still in progress :sigh:

2. Still haven't driven any of those, but I ended up replacing the Ranger with a WJ which is not lovely at all, so that's a win!

3. :lol: nope.

4. Done it twice over now! Two out of four ain't bad, right?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 1, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fucknag posted:

Get the loving Protege on the road again.

Get a job that doesn't give me nightmares about work/want to kill myself/treat me like subhuman filth (I am but that's beside the point).

Finish the goddamn automotive degree I started in 2009 that's been dragged out waaay longer than necessary.

Maybe, if I get a civilized job that gives me a decent paycheck while somehow leaving Saturdays open, start autocrossing (contingent on the 1st).

Murder my depression somehow and go back to the gym so I can be under 300lbs again.

Well I managed 1 and 3, as for the rest hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

buy another bus.

gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Finish the Audi, roll cage it, and finally race it.

And, and this is a big MAYBE, install the 20v head and pistons and turbocharger....once I get money to do so.

Didn't finish the roll cage, DID install the 20v motor and parts. Still not done, but I got the motor :unsmith:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

Aww yea, nailed it. Fuckers all legal for the road and everything.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Terrible Robot posted:

1) Actually get some work done on any of the cars.
2) Specifically get some work done on the '86 Celica, it's been almost 3 years since I drove it.
3) Try to be a more upbeat person; mostly this is for my daughter, nobody should grow up with a grump for a dad.
4) Start a project thread and actually stick with it instead of letting it die after 2 posts. (possible tie-in with resolution number 2?)

1) Well, I got the engine on the 855 taken apart enough to know it isn't worth saving. The 245 got moved 20 feet but no progress was made.
2) The engine is now out of the Celica, currently waiting on more funds to re-seal/overhaul it so I can start putting this car back together. Spring project, hopefully. Still waiting to hear about some body panels from another goon.
3) I'm still pretty drat unhappy with my life/self, but I try not to let it affect family time.
4) Never did start that project thread, because I realized that I don't make enough money to keep a steady stream of updates going on projects and it would just depress me more trying to come up with things to post.

2014 can suck my loving cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

1. See how long I can go without buying a car this year.
2. Buy another car.

HA!

• Locked thread