Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Heh. Heh. Heh.
Four hehs.

This is the January 2014 chat thread, bring all derails in here, don't be a lovely poster, etc. December thread was here! (1562 posts that time, we are pushing records.)

So, here is a topic to start: it's a new year! What are your plans? (Actual plans to do things this month, not resolutions.)

Ettin fucked around with this message at Jan 1, 2014 around 03:35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

So I've got webspace and a domain and a wordpress install set up but no idea how to make the thing not look like rear end. I assume wordpress is sufficient to most needs.

Syrg Sapphire
Mar 27, 2007

You were right about me all along, Mr. Kent. I am the villain of the story.

Ettin posted:

November thread was here!

You're not getting away that easily, even I take better steps to hide my copy/paste shenanigans than that.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Right now, I plan on getting some sleep.

I've got an auction to do tomorrow, and then actual other work all the rest of the week. My plan for this month largely revolves around getting my boss to hire one other person. This reason is twofold: 1) To replace the one who was done at the end of 2013. 2) to be able to give me more time off so explore other options, like writing or otherwise being creative, without trying so while putting in 6 day 54 hour weeks. Hopefully by next month.

Good night and Happy New Year!

(Also, this -40 or worse weather needs to loving quit it.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm planning to play in a bunch of games. I'm in 3-4 right now, and apped for another.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

GOOD GOD
MY POSTS ARE TERRIBLE

SWEET POSTING FREEDOM

I plan on maintaining posting in my FAE and MH PbPs, helping out Mystic Mongol with running PbP Battlecon, and taking steps towards getting my storygame published.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

I plan to buy a LGS!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012

I am currently in the process of poring over my advance copy of the Inverse World pdf looking for typos and formatting bugs. I'm about a third of the way through the book right now, though I don't know if I'll get finished before it's officially 2014 over here on the west coast.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I am currently in the process of poring over my advance copy of the Inverse World pdf looking for typos and formatting bugs. I'm about a third of the way through the book right now, though I don't know if I'll get finished before it's officially 2014 over here on the west coast.

What are we even paying you for if it's not finished 24 hours after the pdf arrives, gosh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012

Sorry, I was simply overcome by the magnificence of the move "Verbal Fish-Slap."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I plan on unpausing my Excelsior! Pbp, aften going on extended finals/holidays/ superstressful family break.Also, taking up some relaxing hobbies to calm myself down after the last two weeks. Ilove my family, but I need to make sure my stays never go past 72 hours, otherwise I start going bonkers.

TurninTrix
Feb 28, 2011

don't lose your waaaaaay

Ettin posted:

So, here is a topic to start: it's a new year! What are your plans? (Actual plans to do things this month, not resolutions.)

Start a pbp that I won't burn out on after a month.

Also get to work on some programming stuff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You pick up the nugget of URANIUM and...

Oh that was so stupid. Why would you do that?

I have narrowly avoided playing Cards Against Humanity, and got to play Kings of Tokyo, which is really fun.

Happy New Year, you loving nerds.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

You're the right kind of dreamer to release my inner fantasy.
The invincible winner, and you know that you were born to be!

Tollymain posted:

SWEET POSTING FREEDOM

I plan on maintaining posting in my FAE and MH PbPs, helping out Mystic Mongol with running PbP Battlecon, and taking steps towards getting my storygame published.

I should probably finish those games.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Life-wise, be a better person and less terrible all around.

TG-wise, stop apping to games because I have a idea and try to get my drat FATE Ace Combat hack off the drat ground.

Happy New Year to everybody east of CST at the moment.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Jan 1, 2014 around 06:08

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Happy new years everyone! I'm home, with kids. Such is life when you're old.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Heh. Heh. Heh.
Four hehs.

Mikan posted:

What are we even paying you for if it's not finished 24 hours after the pdf arrives, gosh

Need a PI?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Happy New Year's!

I'm totally going to keep Fear of the Dark running.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You pick up the nugget of URANIUM and...

Oh that was so stupid. Why would you do that?

Greetings from the distant future of 2014!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

There's a warmachine journeyman league starting at the end of the month, so time to get 15 pts of something new painted...

Also more torchbearer.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

Self Impaled King of Hearts And Storytelling

Kai Tave posted:

Sorry, I was simply overcome by the magnificence of the move "Verbal Fish-Slap."

I had almost as much fun writing that as I had with the move "Cantankerous Jerk".

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Happy New Year fuckers!
I'm gonna wrangle a bunch of squirrely players into making characters for the 13th Age game we've been talking about for one drat year already.
I'm also going to edit and post the 5 audio Actual Plays I've been sitting on.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade

I don't get the hate for Cards Against Humanity, it's only bad if you play with boring people who go for the cliche choices every round.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SageNytell posted:

Happy New Year fuckers!
I'm gonna wrangle a bunch of squirrely players into making characters for the 13th Age game we've been talking about for one drat year already.
I'm also going to edit and post the 5 audio Actual Plays I've been sitting on.

Is that a way of saying you're recruiting for a game or a way of saying you just have dodgey players? Just asking because I only ever end up running that particular system and would be interested in playing in it.

Happy New Year!
My resolution is the same as its been every year: don't die. So far, doing pretty good at it, but I have a feeling I might eventually slip up on this resolution.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Happy New Year goons.

This is the year my entire gaming crew has decided to go to Gencon. It's an 18-hour drive from Miami to Indy...6 nerds, 1 minivan. God help us. And anyone that GMs for us.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ettin posted:

Need a PI?

I'm a licensed PI, let's get investigating.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012

Whatever you do, please don't tell all my potential employers that I spend most of my free time talking about pretend-elf on the internet. I could never live down the shame.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Whatever you do, please don't tell all my potential employers that I spend most of my free time talking about pretend-elf on the internet. I could never live down the shame.

I dread explaining the last two years next time I apply for a job. "Well, you see, I spent my time writing about Godzillas and getting yelled at by morons because they got stuck in a time loop that never progressed past 1970. Here is what I'd like for a starting salary."

This month I'm going to release the Last Stand Companion (backers get pdf free, print copies at cost) and ramp up production on Nocturne (previously Nightfall). II'm also releasing another small game through Patreon and polishing up a few others for the tablehopping collection, which might be out as early as February.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012

I dunno man, you could probably get a job at Cracked pretty easily with a pitch like that. The downside would be working at Cracked.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mikan posted:

I dread explaining the last two years next time I apply for a job. "Well, you see, I spent my time writing about Godzillas and getting yelled at by morons because they got stuck in a time loop that never progressed past 1970. Here is what I'd like for a starting salary."

This month I'm going to release the Last Stand Companion (backers get pdf free, print copies at cost) and ramp up production on Nocturne (previously Nightfall). II'm also releasing another small game through Patreon and polishing up a few others for the tablehopping collection, which might be out as early as February.

It's all in the wording. Just emphasis the "ran your own small business selling a self-made product" part and try to sweep the whole "dumb internet tabletop drama" part under the rug.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

Covok posted:

It's all in the wording. Just emphasis the "ran your own small business selling a self-made product" part and try to sweep the whole "dumb internet tabletop drama" part under the rug.

This is actually what I already do - when people ask what I do, I just tell them I'm a writer and I run a publishing company. The details are usually unnecessary.

That's not as funny, though.

Swagger Dagger
Dec 13, 2010

You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate, only the unloved hate. Only the unloved and the unnatural.

neongrey posted:

So I've got webspace and a domain and a wordpress install set up but no idea how to make the thing not look like rear end. I assume wordpress is sufficient to most needs.

Wordpress themes are pretty good, and a lot of them are easy to customize with no knowledge other than how to put images in the right directory. Plugins are dead simple too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012

Hey, look at that, done with 18 minutes to go. Posted to the Kickstarter comments as requested. Now I'm going to go do something that doesn't involve poring over a pdf reader in great detail for a while.

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

Someone bold, someone blue, someone borrowed, someone new...

whydirt posted:

I don't get the hate for Cards Against Humanity, it's only bad if you play with boring people who go for the cliche choices every round.

We sat down and played with five players, one drop-out and one drop-in, with a dummy card we named Rando. It was a little rough at first because the first guy had no discernible sense of humour and his replacement didn't seem to get out much, but we played for something like six straight hours and went through all of the black cards-- maybe a hundred? It was fun, and Rando 'won' twentyish hands.

I don't know that I want to play it again soon, but we definitely had a good time.

Resolutions? Eat better, and write more and better. I'm sorely out of practice on all fronts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I hope (tough to say plan on this one) to get a new job which I don't hate! In order to accomplish it, I plan to send off the application I've been havering on before I go back to work tomorrow, and then be working on more.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

My plans are to do a set of short stories I've had planned. Ideally I'd like to finish all three this month, but I'd settle for having the first two written, and the first one out into the wild. Depends on how many hours I can finagle into putting into the things.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

TG-wise, stop apping to games because I have a idea and try to get my drat FATE Ace Combat hack off the drat ground.
Does your Ace Combat hack come with made-up countries, anime drama and superweapons? If yes, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

who's this LITTLE SPAGHETTI?? ??

Kai Tave posted:

Hey, look at that, done with 18 minutes to go. Posted to the Kickstarter comments as requested. Now I'm going to go do something that doesn't involve poring over a pdf reader in great detail for a while.

You are a good person and I appreciate you, Kai Tave.

My plans for this month: Do that editing/formatting job Rulebook wanted me to do about 2 months ago, publish a bunch more Mages on my DTRPG, and finalize the Inverse World PDF. I am officially a college dropout now, so I should have time, right?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Heh. Heh. Heh.
Four hehs.

Ettin posted:

I am an idiot so I let Chrome eat my post judging the remaining November contest pitches

I actually saved my progress in a text file on my desktop but didn't notice because I overwrote a Double Cross character sheet I changed my mind on doing and forgot to change the filename.

That is worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrg Sapphire
Mar 27, 2007

You were right about me all along, Mr. Kent. I am the villain of the story.

I'm officially going to rescind my poo poo-talking about copy/paste errors because jesus christ, Ettin.

I feel like I'm some kind of gremlin just pointing and laughing at you by this point.

It probably doesn't help that I keep coming in minutes later to do so.

«27 »