Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

New Year. New Chat Thread. New Posts.

This was the OP of last years thread.

quote:

Last year was the year of Brandon Graham. I think building of off Hawkeye 2013 will be the year of Matt Fraction. Also everybody will realize they should have been buying Glory all along. Pretty Deadly will end up being book of the year.

And I stand by it :colbert:

Things to look forward to in 2014?

Southern Bastards, MiracleMan, seeing Marvel print THE ORIGINAL WRITER, more great Image books, BATMANBATMANBATMAN, A Talking Raccoon!?!,Stray Bullets, Nonplayer!? Orc Stain?? Some more good Kickstarters??? Post some thing's you are looking forward to this year.

Also The Comics Reporter are running a series of all the good things that happened in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm looking forward to Charles Soule writing all the big two books.

2014 - The Year Of Soule.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I want to read more Hawkguy in 2014. Okay.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
2014 will be the Second Year of Hawkguy.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm thinking of making the Wonder Woman thread since WW fans (ARE YOU EVEN HERE) have the Azzarello run, Superman/Wonder Woman, and Gal Gadot's casting to discuss re: current WW news. Standard discussion thread with reference poo poo from classic past runs for haters or people who can be converted. I actually can't tell if this is just my annual single day of enthusiasm for doing anything in the universe, though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'd love if you gave a brief primer on some worthwhile runs and stories with Wonder Woman. Rucka and Azzarello's stuff is really been my only great experience with her.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

2014 will be the Second Year of Hawkguy.

2014 is going to be the year Hawkguy gets revamped because either Fraction or Aja won't be able to keep schedule with the workload :getin:

Swillkitsch posted:

I'm thinking of making the Wonder Woman thread since WW fans (ARE YOU EVEN HERE) have the Azzarello run, Superman/Wonder Woman, and Gal Gadot's casting to discuss re: current WW news. Standard discussion thread with reference poo poo from classic past runs for haters or people who can be converted. I actually can't tell if this is just my annual single day of enthusiasm for doing anything in the universe, though.

Yeah sure make a Wonder Woman thread but please don't start arguments over how much body mass Gadot needs to tack on.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

gently caress no, I got class. As much class as you can have spending as much money on picture books as I do.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

2014: The Year of Pretty Good Superman Ongoings

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

2014 is the year of the BPRD. Mignola and the rest of Hellboy crew are just going to keep the apocalypse rolling this year. By the way, did the old BPRD thread slip into archives?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dr. Hurt posted:

2014 is the year of the BPRD. Mignola and the rest of Hellboy crew are just going to keep the apocalypse rolling this year. By the way, did the old BPRD thread slip into archives?

I'm not at a jumping off point on BPRD yet, but they should really think about some kind of conclusion at some point. The apocalypse has been rolling for an anticlimactic length of time

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Waterhaul posted:

Also The Comics Reporter are running a series of all the good things that happened in 2013.

One of the good things is "more comic book professionals will have health insurance finally". :(

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm not at a jumping off point on BPRD yet, but they should really think about some kind of conclusion at some point. The apocalypse has been rolling for an anticlimactic length of time

I thought it was getting a little bit bleak, but Wasteland really is the gloomiest point in the series. I feel like the end of Wasteland and Lake of Fire has begun to show a turning point in the war. There really is a light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully), of course things are probably going to get worse. I think it'll end in the next two years?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
2014: Year of continuing to wait for Multiversity

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

It has only gone on half the time as War of the Frogs. I also assume that they have to be on a sort of holding period for Hellboy in Hell. There is no way that its not going to end with him returning to help them end it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My year has started off wonderfully with a friend arguing on facebook that married heroes don't sell books, so it was okay that DC didn't let Batwoman get married. When I countered with the FF, Spider-Man (pre OMIT) and Superman (pre nu52) he responded that all those books dropped readers after the marriage. Does anyone have actual numbers for this?

He did concede that MAYBE Batwoman would have bucked this trend after I pointed out that it's one of the most high profile LGBT books being published.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
2014 The year of Madman. We are getting Madman 3D this year!!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Soonmot posted:

My year has started off wonderfully with a friend arguing on facebook that married heroes don't sell books, so it was okay that DC didn't let Batwoman get married. When I countered with the FF, Spider-Man (pre OMIT) and Superman (pre nu52) he responded that all those books dropped readers after the marriage. Does anyone have actual numbers for this?

Well, correlation is not causation. Even if after a wedding, a comic drops in sales, that doesn't mean it was necessarily caused by the wedding. For example, the Superman Wedding Album was the 5th best-selling comic of 1996. If there were hard feelings, they didn't show when Superman became the Man of Teal in Superman #123, the 2nd best selling comic of 1997, though it plummets downward in 1998. Was it the marriage, or were people not thrilled with Superman's new look and powers? Or was the creative team just bad? Or maybe it was just that books like Darkness, Heroes Reborn, and the Onslaught storyline drew sales away from it?

If Spider-Man sales dropped after the wedding in 1987, the drop was modest before it rockets up to getting its best sales ever in the early nineties. If the wedding had an impact, it was only for two years at most, and was very small.

The weird thing about bringing up those books is at the time it's not like there was any question that Reed and Sue or Clark and Lois would get together someday in the books at the time. It's not like either character had major romantic subplots outside of that pairing (I mean, what else do you have? Sue and Namor? Superman and Maxima?)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Aww sweet. This looks like a good jumping-on point. Hopefully this reboot won't go sour.

Seriously though, I think 2014's going to be The Year of Catching Up. Well, it will be for me. Still have to read my Hawkeye HC, planning on picking up the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus when it hits, and I've still got to read those Runaways HCs I picked up a while ago. Not to mention anything else that's actually good. And to kick it off, I'm probably going to dig myself ever so slightly deeper by buying some of the issues in Comixology's Marvel Now sale before it ends tomorrow. Goodbye money. :retrogames:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Volfogg posted:

I'm probably going to dig myself ever so slightly deeper by buying some of the issues in Comixology's Marvel Now sale before it ends tomorrow. Goodbye money. :retrogames:

You know about Marvel Unlimited? Depending on how much you were wanting to pick up, and how much reading you could cram into a month's subscription, and if you don't mind not actually owning the digital comics, it'd probably be a much cheaper prospect.

e: Marvel's reader at least on Android and computer browser is much worse, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 2, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do we have any kind of a release date for Southern Bastards yet?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Marvel's reader at least on Android and computer browser is much worse, though.

Yeah, I was wondering if it'd changed. I'd be a subscriber, but it was a pain in the rear end to read comics on my laptop when the first launched it since there was no way to truly fullscreen a comic, the interface insisted on taking up a portion of the bottom screen. If it was perfectly fullscreen it'd be readable, but as it was I had to scroll up and down if I wanted it at a viewable size.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Cover for Detective Comics #27. Holy gently caress that cowl.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The big ears, gloves and gun have to be a reference to the comic's origins, but the concept is pretty lost in every other way he's presented.

e: Yeah. They're re-doing the first story.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/brad-meltzer-remakes-history-in-detective-comics-27/2/

How many covers has this thing got anyway?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 2, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Teenage Fansub posted:

You know about Marvel Unlimited? Depending on how much you were wanting to pick up, and how much reading you could cram into a month's subscription, and if you don't mind not actually owning the digital comics, it'd probably be a much cheaper prospect.

I actually came to ask about Marvel Unlimited - their site isn't very precise on what you actually get. I couldn't really get comics very often before trade paperbacks due to the price, but I read the start of the X-Men recently and a couple of older Iron Man comics and I'm quite interested in reading the older issues.

They say there's a lot of archived comics, but they don't really go into detail if it's just certain issues, certain titles, certain characters, or anything. If I subscribed could I like, for instance, just read X-Men all the way from amoral manipulative Xavier to terrible company event Xavier? Or is it more focused on digital versions of six-month old comics?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if there's a big list of what's on there. I think all you can really do is look up a series and see if there are the little 'U' icons.
It's pretty broadly comprehensive. Some stuff is definitely not there, usually obscure series' but also the odd isolated issue could be missing while the comics around it are available.
Not sure what eras of Prof X you mean, but I know Uncanny is there from Vol 1. #1 to the current series six months ago (new releases don't appear for several months) so you should be able to find what you want. I'm going through Claremont's run myself.

There's a digital comics thread we should probably move the convo to.

irlZaphod posted:

2014 - The Year Of Soule.

This and fingers all the way crossed for Lemire to do something interesting with his JL book. JLD was dull as dishwater, but I'm fairly certain that book is cursed. Moving a team to Canada with Animal Man points to good things, I bet!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 2, 2014

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Since the holiday and being out of town I haven't picked my books up in two weeks and I'm thinking of taking this occasion to purge most of my purchasing habits. Maybe dropping down to just Hawkguy and 1 or 2 really good image/independent books.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

Since the holiday and being out of town I haven't picked my books up in two weeks and I'm thinking of taking this occasion to purge most of my purchasing habits. Maybe dropping down to just Hawkguy and 1 or 2 really good image/independent books.

I did this for DC when they did villain month and it was wonderful. There really aren't many, if any, Marvel books I'm reading out of habit instead of enjoyment, though. Same with Image and the other indies except, maybe, Walking Dead.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Alien Rope Burn posted:

One of the good things is "more comic book professionals will have health insurance finally". :(

One of the other points is people finally starting to talk about the issue of sexual harassment in comics so at least there were a lot of baby steps done last year.

Literally The Worst posted:

Do we have any kind of a release date for Southern Bastards yet?

Not yet but Image Con is next week so I'd presume more details will come out then.

Also with talk of books that'll eventually come out.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 2, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

One of the other points is people finally starting to talk about the issue of sexual harassment in comics so at least there were a lot of baby steps done last year.

Not yet but Image Con is next week so I'd presume more details will come out then.

Please tell me that's going to be the actual title that actually appears on the page with all the credits. :allears:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

I am honestly more excited about Hickman and Fraction writing some episodes for Da Vinci Demons, that show is a very exciting and mad trainwreck, while S.H.I.E.L.D. is a boring slog with pretty panoramas.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 2, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"You're reading...Moon Knight?"
"Yeah. He was sort of like Marvel's attempt to do Batman."
"Is he a rich orphan?"
"No. He was a mercenary who--"
"Oh God, what Marvel character isn't a mercenary these days?"

I tried to bring up Werewolf by Night, but she'd already gotten off the couch and left the room.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/08/30/faceless-rose-tyler-doctor-who-the-idiots-lantern-cosplay-picture/

Someone in the last thread was asking about how to go about making a good faceless Question mask a while back. This doesn't show instructions and is Dr. Who, but that looks a hell of a lot better than a nylon stocking.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Has anyone here read the Aldebaran series? I've heard good things about it, but now that I'm finally reading it, it's honestly one of the most terribly translated comics I've ever read, and really just one of the most boring, oddly creepy comics I've ever read, too. Unnecessary nudity, creepy comments including way-too-frequent discussions of rape, a sexualized thirteen year old girl, an annoying teenagery protagonist, etc. Every sentence of dialogue is painful, too. It reads like a really, really, really bad manga fan translation.

Unfortunately I still find it interesting and I want to read the whole series. :downs:

I know we had a Bande Desinee thread around here but I'm guessing it went to the archives.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel will be publishing Star Wars comics starting in 2015, as expected.

http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Wonder if Dark Horse will have one last digital fire sale of there SW comics.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Somewhere, a Dark Horse exec is feverishly drawing up plans for 17 more Hellboy ongoings

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
They'll still be able to sell their old/current output, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

They'll still be able to sell their old/current output, right?

I think Lucasfilms owns all the comics, so it would be on Marvel/Disney to reprint anything, though I guess Dark Horse can continue to sell through their remaining stock following the loss of the license but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

And the wait for Angela's new origin to come from a Galaxy Far Far Away begins :getin:

• Locked thread