Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Well goodbye Dark Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

redbackground posted:

They'll still be able to sell their old/current output, right?

I don't think so. Comics licenses have tended to come with the rights to reprint previous companies' comics using that license. See: Marvel reprinting Boom! Disney comics, IDW reprinting DC's Star Trek books, Marvel's Transformers, and Topps' X-Files, and of course, Dark Horse previously reprinting Marvel's Star Wars and Indiana Jones books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

They'll still be able to sell their old/current output, right?

Can Marvel reprint ROM?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Well goodbye Dark Horse

They should spend the next 12 months trying everything. Throw poo poo at the walls and see what sticks. If they can convince some respected creators to come there with new series ideas rather than Image then they could start building so it's not such a shock to the system when Star Wars stops.

Develop IP. Do it now.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

This really is the critical moment for Dark Horse, especially since Hellboy/BPRD won't be there forever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

This really is the critical moment for Dark Horse, especially since Hellboy/BPRD won't be there forever.

Can they move to Image?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dr. Hurt posted:

The also don't have their fall back of "Whedon shows" anymore since Marvel took that.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
All Dark Horse needs to do is get Adam Warren to start doing a monthly Empoweahahahahahaha. Can't even finish the thought.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Can they move to Image?

I'm not sure but it's not going to matter much longer. The story's only going to keep going for 2-3 more years anyway, so that's not really good for long term Dark Horse survival.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CaptainApathyUK posted:

They should spend the next 12 months trying everything. Throw poo poo at the walls and see what sticks. If they can convince some respected creators to come there with new series ideas rather than Image then they could start building so it's not such a shock to the system when Star Wars stops.

Develop IP. Do it now.

They should have been spending the last 12 months doing this when the inevitable may not have been so obvious to everyone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I cannot wait for the Expanded Universe to get loving dynamited into dust and never spoken of again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I cannot wait for the Expanded Universe to get loving dynamited into dust and never spoken of again.

That's understandable in most cases, but Dark Horse's comics are unquestionably the best EU stuff out there. Legacy is like the best Star Wars-related thing in the past decade or so. It's a shame they're losing the license, but I'm also kind of excited to see what Marvel's going to do with it.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

CapnAndy posted:

It will always live on in all of the time I wasted as a youth reading horrible, horrible books.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
EU is literally poo poo spun to gold. It will never die.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not sure why people are so rabidly anti-EU. Most of it is dumb, but such is the case with every piece of licensed fiction. Some of it is also pretty good, particularly the comics. Either way, it's mostly harmless, and has done way less damage to that franchise than Lucas himself has.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope DH does another omnibus sale before this all disappears.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I asked this in the DC thread but I guess it also applies to the Marvel NOW! stuff as well but: I was thinking about the "The New 52!" (or "Marvel NOW!") tagline on all these books. How long will something like that stick? How many years will it take for these books to just be regular continuity and no longer the supposed big deal as it is?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sundowner posted:

I asked this in the DC thread but I guess it also applies to the Marvel NOW! stuff as well but: I was thinking about the "The New 52!" (or "Marvel NOW!") tagline on all these books. How long will something like that stick? How many years will it take for these books to just be regular continuity and no longer the supposed big deal as it is?

The New 52 is probably permanent,(until the next reset, I suppose.) but Marvel Now! doesn't actually change anything continuity wise. It was a pure marketing move.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Marvel NOW! branding is over. Now it's All-New Marvel NOW! In six months they'll start Even More Marvel NOW!
You Thought It Was Over But Oh Lookie We Got You Some More Newer Marvel NOW!

Sundowner posted:

You really think The New 52 thing will be permanent? I figured it would stick around for a few years as promotional and eventually be phased out.

Are we talking branding or continuity? I bet those three words will be phased out next year.

Marvel NOW! and The New 52! badges serve the same purpose to be pointed at when someone is asking about getting into comics and not wanting to read years and years of stuff.
Once these volumes get into 30ish issue runs, that'll start to get meaningless and I'm guessing it's then they'll be gone (at least from DC. Marvel are going volume reset crazy right now. We might never see high issue numbers again from them.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 4, 2014

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
You really think The New 52 thing will be permanent? I figured it would stick around for a few years as promotional and eventually be phased out.

Edit: I quite literally meant the New 52 logo and the general idea of it being "The New 52" and not just regular comics. (I know they are just regular comics but from a marketing and branding view point)

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

That's understandable in most cases, but Dark Horse's comics are unquestionably the best EU stuff out there. Legacy is like the best Star Wars-related thing in the past decade or so. It's a shame they're losing the license, but I'm also kind of excited to see what Marvel's going to do with it.

Republic is better than Legacy. It's from the same creative team.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Republic is better than Legacy. It's from the same creative team.

I disagree, but yes, Ostrander/Duursema do quality work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I really wish Legacy got a proper ending instead of a "To be continued". I don't have high hopes of Disney/Marvel picking it up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I disagree, but yes, Ostrander/Duursema do quality work.

Legacy isn't a bad series by any means. I like Republic better because a) it was the favourite comic of my early adolescnce and b) I generally prefer the material that's reasonably close, chronologically speaking, to the setting of the films.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Dr. Hurt posted:

I'm not sure but it's not going to matter much longer. The story's only going to keep going for 2-3 more years anyway, so that's not really good for long term Dark Horse survival.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. I might be misremembering, and I can't find the article now, but I'm pretty sure within the last five years or so, Mignola has said he's only about halfway done with Hellboy, meaning we probably have at least another ten years of stories.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sundowner posted:

Edit: I quite literally meant the New 52 logo and the general idea of it being "The New 52" and not just regular comics. (I know they are just regular comics but from a marketing and branding view point)
I'm surprised the New 52 branding is still there, Marvel tends to have branding/banners on their book for maybe 5-6 months. I think, though, "The New 52" will be forever what this DC continuity will be referred as, even though it's not really "new" (and there aren't 52 books anymore), in much the same way people referred to pre-Crisis and post-Crisis etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This Star Wars poo poo reminds me of a question I had: has anyone read John Wagner's Boba Fett comics? We've got 'em at my library and both John Wagner and Boba Fett are rad so I assume said comics are rad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This Star Wars poo poo reminds me of a question I had: has anyone read John Wagner's Boba Fett comics? We've got 'em at my library and both John Wagner and Boba Fett are rad so I assume said comics are rad.

I've only read "Enemy of the Empire" but I think it's good fun. They have two things going for them, namely a) they came out before Episode II, so there isn't any clone baggage at play and b) they came out before Karen Traviss started writing EU books, so there's no Mandalorian fetishism either.

I think he writes Fett kinda like Dredd (though I've not read much 2000 AD, so maybe someone better versed in both series can correct me) insofar as he's portrayed as being highly competent and very determined, but the writer and the plot aren't necessarily in complete awe of him.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Anyone have any strong feelings about Matt Wagner's Mage comics? Saw the trades in the store cheap, and realized it's one of those series I never really heard anything about, other than basic premise. I remember enjoying a couple of his Grendel books back in the day, though I'm not sure how well they hold up. Worth picking up?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Madrox posted:

Anyone have any strong feelings about Matt Wagner's Mage comics? Saw the trades in the store cheap, and realized it's one of those series I never really heard anything about, other than basic premise. I remember enjoying a couple of his Grendel books back in the day, though I'm not sure how well they hold up. Worth picking up?

I only read the first part but it was really good, if it's cheap and you like Grendel I'd say definitely snag it.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
I like Matt Wagner's Mage a lot, though I haven't read them in like, god, over a decade now. The first one is slightly dated, though not in a bad way-- it just reads like what it is, a super early work by a really talented writer/artist who's still kinda growing into himself (which is actually what the series is metaphorically about). It's definitely less rough than the early Grendel, and if you dig urban fantasy then by all means go for it.

The second series is much more polished artwise (though I still love the sorta-grafitti-ish character of the first series' art), but way more meandering in story, and it kind of peters out. To a degree this is intentional, since Mage is sort of a magical realist autobio the same way Scott Pilgrim is for Bryan Lee O'Malley, and this one is "about" Matt Wagner's career in comics (literally every character I can think of is visually based on and often named in homage to someone he's worked with or is related to, which is a fun bit of trainspotting for industry supernerds), which, obviously, was far from over when he wrote it. It's an interesting read, but overall weaker than the first, and I have no idea where it'll go whenever he gets around to doing a third.

So definitely check out the first series, and if you like that certainly don't avoid the second, but temper your expectations a bit going in.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I was just checking what's coming out this Wednesday and I see Avengers World #1 and Black Widow #1 are coming out. I am not reading any Marvel books right now and I thought it would be nice to start reading some from a #1 so are either of these two looking to be good? I love Phil Noto's art work so I think I'm sold on Black Widow regardless but I'm still curious.

Edit: Oh also, what about All-New X-Factor #1 coming out too?

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 5, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you really want to start at the beginning of stuff I'd suggest tracking down the start of the recent volumes of Avengers and New Avengers instead of starting at Avengers World. Those series both are starts of all new story arcs that are being continued in Avengers World.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The series will probably be spinning heavily out of Infinity, so I'd recommend reading all of Hickman's MARVEL NOW!! Avengers stuff to start, which is a pile of great comics.
The crossover event was even pretty good, and those things are never good.

e:

Sundowner posted:

Are there enough trades out yet to get me caught up?

It looks like the latest Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity trades are all out by mid-feb.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 5, 2014

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Are there enough trades out yet to get me caught up? Avengers was the one I was interested in the least of the 3 I mentioned mostly because I just can't work up the initial interest in reading Avengers. Maybe the movies spoiled it for me (everyone kinda annoyed me) or whatever but I was willing to give it a shot because there's a #1 coming out this week and I still have a bit of a complex with not wanting to read books mid-run even though that'll probably change soon with a lot of DC stuff I'm outright missing due to it.

In any case, I think I'll definitely go for Black Widow and I'll flip through All New X-Factor in the shop to see if it looks interesting at a glance. I'll probably just catch up on the Avengers stuff mentioned above via trades whenever I can muster up the motivation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Well goodbye Dark Horse

They're not worried. The single best selling DH comic ever was Buffy Season 8 #1. They'll survive just fine.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

They're not worried. The single best selling DH comic ever was Buffy Season 8 #1. They'll survive just fine.

Until all the Whedon stuff moves to Marvel too. Wouldn't surprise me much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Until all the Whedon stuff moves to Marvel too. Wouldn't surprise me much.

Doubt it. Joss doesn't own Buffy, Angel or Firefly.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I am not a Whedon fan but I am currently really thankful for his rabid fanbase. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
While of course I'd prefer Dark Horse to go through something like the Image Renaissance, I think they really should look towards the success Boom has had. You probably can't pick up something with the fanbase of Star Wars, but getting a few other solid licenses should help a lot. They should get creative and try to forge a relationship similar to Boom's relationship with Cartoon Network, something that fosters a few solid properties.

On the sadder end of things though, if Dark Horse did go under, it would be a loving coup if Image became the home of Hellboy stuff.

• Locked thread