Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They also add dialogue where there was none previously. "Whaaat, Haku's a dragon!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Qindarka posted:

I like Summer Wars quite a bit but everything to do with the virtual world just comes across as being really, really dumb.

Summer Wars was such an incredibly dumb movie. It's basically someone going "how can I have this movie appeal to every Japanese in existence" and just throwing it all in. I kinda liked the contrast with the rural landscape and the garish, confusing, facebook-y cyberspace, and some of the crazier scenes were great... if anything, I'm sad they didn't let even more craziness spill over into the real world.

I also laughed out loud at grandma saving Japan with motivation speeches. There's even a magical girl transformation sequence in there, for ABSOLUTELY no reason (and to absolutely no effect)! And I can just IMAGINE some viewer feeling confirmed in his view that his videogame skills are highly relevant and might save the world. It's such a feel-good, dumb, occasionally obnoxious movie.

I definitely do not regret watching it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pick posted:

They also add dialogue where there was none previously. "Whaaat, Haku's a dragon!?"

Yeah, I saw the Disney sub of Totoro which just uses the dub script, and there are a bunch of lines over silence.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I could have sworn Miyazaki had a strict "don't mess with my movies beyond lip syncing" rule with Disney localizing his films, guess I was misinformed.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Das Boo posted:

Confession one, I kinda like Jack Black.

Confession: When watching The Holiday, I decided that I'd ultimately choose Jack Black over Jude Law. So, there you go.

Miscellaneous 14, thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't heard of either of those movies!

I've seen Howl's Moving Castle probably three times, and there are parts of the ending I still don't understand. I chalk some of it up to "symbolism n' poo poo."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't think any of them are on VOD services like that, but for future reference, there is a site that tells you what VOD services something is available on.

http://www.canistream.it/

I don't think it makes a difference for any of the Studio Ghibli films, but http://www.moreflicks.com checks across all countries. No alert service but it's useful if you can use a proxy service such as Hola Unblocker.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I noticed Tarzan 3D wasn't in the OP :colbert:

In the related videos, I spotted Khumba. Did anyone else happen to catch this or watch it? I'll admit I laughed a bit at the Zebra Crossing gag.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Pyrotoad posted:

I love how halfway through you have this sudden shift from "Tarzan with creepy Robert Zemeckis uncanny valley CG" to "THE ALIEN METEOR CRASHED INTO THE FOREST AND WE GOTTA FIGHT THE MILITARY". For a second I thought they had just started showing a different trailer.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I've seen Howl's Moving Castle probably three times, and there are parts of the ending I still don't understand. I chalk some of it up to "symbolism n' poo poo."

Try reading the book. It won't make the plot of the movie any easier to decipher, but it might help you tease out which bits are lifted straight from the book but not fully contextualized in the film, thus making them confusing. Also it is good.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

In the related videos, I spotted Khumba. Did anyone else happen to catch this or watch it? I'll admit I laughed a bit at the Zebra Crossing gag.

You son of a bitch I finally forgot about Tarzan 3D and you just bring that piece of poo poo back into my life!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

miscellaneous14 posted:

I could have sworn Miyazaki had a strict "don't mess with my movies beyond lip syncing" rule with Disney localizing his films, guess I was misinformed.

As I understand, some of those are actually necessary, such as Chihiro in Spirited Away identifying the bath-house as a bath-house, since an international audience probably wouldn't recognise one.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

achillesforever6 posted:

Jack Black is kind of underrated sometimes, especially in his voice roles, I mean sure I know its Jack Black, but he's voiced some great characters in the last few years like Po and Eddie Riggs.

I would recommend checking out Dreamworks other 2D movies, I know some might disagree, but I found that they are pretty enjoyable, especially Road To El Dorado and Sinbad
I don't actually mind Jack Black in and of himself. I like him in the majority of his movies (the scene in Tropic Thunder where he shoves heroin into the faces of the guards who laughed at his farts is one of the most satisfying and hilarious scenes in the whole movie), it's just I usually flinch whenever an easily recognizable celebrity voice is used for the protagonist of a movie. For some reason, I give a free pass to sidekicks and villains played by famous people (Robin Williams' Genie, James Woods as Hades hell to the yes), because a lot of sidekick and villain humour involves breaking the character of the setting to make some crack.

A lot of times when a famous person plays an animated character, it doesn't always jive with the setting. It pulls me out of the movie. MY IMMERSION, if you will. You'll notice that the protagonist voices of most of the Disney films of the Renaissance are almost exclusively Broadway or TV stars. Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, the boyfriend from Full House, Ming Na, Tony Goldwyn etc. And where are the big names in How to Train Your Dragon? Gerard Butler's the biggest and that's it. And the exceptions are when the famous people are capable of disappearing entirely into the character - Tom Hanks as Woody is iconic, and I never think of Splash or Big or Saving Private Ryan when I watch Toy Story. Will Ferrell as Megamind was the same way - I stopped thinking of him as Will Ferrell. And of course Steve Carrell as Gru.

The times where it doesn't work are when the voice actor essentially plays an animated version of himself. It's especially bad in movies where the settings are historical and exotic and the protagonist is voiced by someone Recognizably Modern and American. Brad Pitt in Sinbad, Owen Wilson in pretty much any animated movie he's in, Chris Rock, Ben Stiller, etc. And when I saw the trailer for Kung Fu Panda - it showed Jack Black playing a panda version of a role he's recognized for - the loveable fat screwup. But maybe the marketing was unfair. I might give it a shot now because i Have heard a lot of surprisingly positive feedback for it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kung Fu Panda is the best thing Dreamworks has ever done so yeah I'd probably give it a shot if I were you.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
While there are a lot of recognizable names in Kung Fu Panda and not all of them can vanish into their characters it was never a distraction to me. Honestly the most obvious "Oh, it's that person!" voice for me was James Hong and that's because I smile every time I see or hear him in something.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Honestly the most obvious "Oh, it's that person!" voice for me was James Hong and that's because I smile every time I see or hear him in something.

James Hong has a drat firm monopoly on Hollywood's generic old Asian guys. I was just playing Sleeping Dogs, and OF COURSE the old Triad boss is loving James Hong. He's great in it, of course he is, because he's James Hong, but I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing somebody else for a change. Someone else needs to grow old so he gets some competition.

Also holy poo poo he has 385 credits on IMDb, which is over a hundred more than Christopher Lee.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Veib posted:

James Hong has a drat firm monopoly on Hollywood's generic old Asian guys. I was just playing Sleeping Dogs, and OF COURSE the old Triad boss is loving James Hong. He's great in it, of course he is, because he's James Hong, but I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing somebody else for a change. Someone else needs to grow old so he gets some competition.

Also holy poo poo he has 385 credits on IMDb, which is over a hundred more than Christopher Lee.

He was the dub voice actor for both Ogata and Serizawa in the original Godzilla, The King Of Monsters U.S. release. That should tell you how long he's been at this.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like The Nut Job commercials are now Psy-free. I think it was just for New Years/Psy's birthday which is on NYE.

They've still got that horrifying twerking pug though!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

miscellaneous14 posted:

That's kind of the funny thing about Summer Wars, it's relatively the same plot as the Digimon Movie with even a few of the same beats (e.g. everyone on the net around the world helping them in the finale), though with a stronger focus on the real world conflict.

Okay I've seen the Digimon movie, always loved the "Our War Game" part, and less than 5 minutes into Summer Wars HOLY poo poo SOME OF THE ANIMATION BITS ARE loving PLAGIARIZED.

I love this.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My friends had me watch the Digimon movie and I'd never seen the show before.
Let's just say Jules Winnfield would've blown my head off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just bought the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs artbook, which I'd been eyeing for a while. It got delivered today but I can't read it since it was on the porch and now it's so cold it hurts my fingers :(.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

just finished watching KFP2, really enjoyed the fight scenes, especially the Jackie Chan-like antics with the one-eyed wolf, and the way Shen's animated, but I feel some of the jokes fell flat compare to the first (though I enjoyed the jail cell switcheroo).

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Robindaybird posted:

just finished watching KFP2, really enjoyed the fight scenes, especially the Jackie Chan-like antics with the one-eyed wolf, and the way Shen's animated, but I feel some of the jokes fell flat compare to the first (though I enjoyed the jail cell switcheroo).

The thing I enjoyed most about it was Jean Claude Van Damme as the fat crocodile guy.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

My one disappointment with the KFP films so far is that I want to see the Furious Five fight on their own (like you get a little taste of in that special about their backstories).

I hope in the next one the villain has a bunch of lieutenants and each of the Five takes one one while Po fights the main guy or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DNS posted:

The thing I enjoyed most about it was Jean Claude Van Damme as the fat crocodile guy.

The thing I enjoyed the most was how stoked Po looked each time he fought along side the Furious Five, calling out all his martial arts moves. The jubilation in his face, where he excitedly looks to his left and right, realizing he's about to wreck poo poo with the Furious Five, when all of them are flying towards the village that the wolves are attacking early on in the film is such a small little detail that makes me chuckle every time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Pyrotoad posted:

Damnit gently caress you. I thought this was another old Disney animation redone in 3D thing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

U.T. Raptor posted:

My one disappointment with the KFP films so far is that I want to see the Furious Five fight on their own (like you get a little taste of in that special about their backstories).

I hope in the next one the villain has a bunch of lieutenants and each of the Five takes one one while Po fights the main guy or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Panda_(franchise)#Short_films

Those aren't farmed out like the TV show. All done in house by DW.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Panda_(franchise)#Short_films

Those aren't farmed out like the TV show. All done in house by DW.

They're actually really gorgeous. The latest one about the Masters is just beautiful to look at.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Secrets of the Furious Five is the all-2D one, right? The content is so obviously kids'-show level but I can't help watching it occasionally because the animation is so nice. I really love that style. Is the Masters one done in the same fashion?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

redcheval posted:

Secrets of the Furious Five is the all-2D one, right? The content is so obviously kids'-show level but I can't help watching it occasionally because the animation is so nice. I really love that style. Is the Masters one done in the same fashion?

Yeah, it's got a 3D opener with Po and the Five, then the main body of the story is 2D. It's very pretty.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Weirdly I looked it up a few hours after I posted it and I have seen it before somehow. I know I've watched the Furious Five one on Netflix before but I don't remember seeing this one! The character designs are fantastic though. The animation is great, I would love to see a movie that looked like that.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I just saw Persistence of Vision, the doc about the making (and subsequent disaster) of The Thief and the Cobbler. Really excellent insight into what happened to that movie, I really recommend it if it's playing nearby.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HellOnEarth posted:

I just saw Persistence of Vision, the doc about the making (and subsequent disaster) of The Thief and the Cobbler. Really excellent insight into what happened to that movie, I really recommend it if it's playing nearby.

It's an odd film because you expect to go in hating the studio for ruining the film and you end up admiring Richard Williams but also thinking that everything that happened was his own damned fault. He's brilliant but it's really hard to feel sorry for him.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Since the Academy Award Nominations will be coming out in a few days, I figure this is the last chance to take bets on which films are going to get nominated. 5 out of 19. For the lesser well known films getting a nomination would be a big deal, since it would guarantee distribution when otherwise these movies might be near impossible to find localized.

CBS News posted:

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2"- Further adventures featuring giant food.

"The Croods" A prehistoric family goes on a road trip of sorts.

"Despicable Me 2" -- He may no longer be a super-villain, but Gru (Steve Carell) still has his minions along to possibly save the world, in this computer-animated comedy.

"Epic" -- Another tale of a world threatened with destruction, in this case, a forest inhabited by magical beings. Voices by Colin Farrell, Amanda Seyfried, Christoph Waltz and Beyonce Knowles.

"Ernest and Celestine" -- Hand-drawn animation of the unlikely friendship between a bear and a mouse, from co-directors Stephane Aubier and Vincent Patar of Belgium and Benjamin Renner of France. Winner of the Grand Jury Prize for family films at the Seattle International Film Festival.

"The Fake" -- The second feature by South Korean animator Yeon Sang-ho tells of a charlatan minister scheming against his rural church's congregation.

"Free Birds" -- Turkeys don't have it so good on the fourth Thursday of November, so two birds travel back in time to the first Thanksgiving celebration to try to change the menu. Voices by Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson and Amy Poehler.

"Frozen" -- This new 3-D Disney adventure is a somewhat loose adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale, "The Snow Queen."

"Khumba" -- This 3-D tale from South Africa, of a zebra lacking some stripes, features voicework by Liam Neeson, Laurence Fishburne and Steve Buscemi.

"The Legend of Sarila" -- This computer animation concerns young Inuit natives and their journey to save their clan from famine.

"A Letter to Momo" -- Hand-drawn animation from Japanese director Hiroyuki Okiura, about a young girl and three goblins whose trouble-making gets her in a fix.

"Monsters University" -- In this prequel to Pixar's 2001 "Monsters, Inc.," Mike and Sulley (again voiced by Billy Crystal and John Goodman) attend college majoring in Scares.

"O Apostolo" -- This supernatural stop-motion animation from Spain won the Audience Award at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival.

"Planes" -- A Disney/Pixar spin-off from the "Cars" franchise.

"Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie - Rebellion" -- The third in a series of Japanese animated films about magical girls, based on characters from a TV series.

"Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury" -- A romance spanning 600 years between immortal lovers is set against six centuries of Brazilian history, from colonization by European powers into the future,

"The Smurfs 2" -- The little blue people are back.

"Turbo" -- Dreamwork's 3-D animation of a racing snail . . . yes, a racing snail. In animation, anything is possible.

"The Wind Rises" -- Hayao Miyazaki's sweeping epic tells the story of Jiro Horikoshi, the aviation engineer who designed the Zero, and is set in the turbulent years leading up to World War II.

fake edit: That description of The Fake is filled with lies. It's obvious that whoever wrote it hasn't seen the movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna say for certain that Wind Rises, Frozen, and Monsters are gonna make the noms, with my money going to Wind Rises to win.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think Monster's University, The Wind Rises and Frozen are pretty much guaranteed a nomination, simply because of the studios which made them. That leaves two open spots. Ernest and Celestine might grab one since it received quite a bit of international attention. I wouldn't be surprised to see Despicable Me 2 as well. It was a big commercial success and of the remaining American releases it's probably the most well-regarded. Not exactly a stellar year.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The nominations will be The smurfs 2, Epic, Planes and Turbo :v:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

How does Smurfs 2 even qualify anyway? If we're just talking ratios of CG wouldn't that also put Gravity on the list?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There might be an actual technical reason, but I think perception is the biggest factor. Gravity is a serious film for serious people, and therefore live-action. The Smurfs 2 is for little kids so it must be animation.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

There might be an actual technical reason, but I think perception is the biggest factor. Gravity is a serious film for serious people, and therefore live-action. The Smurfs 2 is for little kids so it must be animation.

I disagree that Smurfs 2 is for kids on the grounds that it has no audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Despicable Me 2 as well. It was a big commercial success and of the remaining American releases it's probably the most well-regarded. Not exactly a stellar year.

I just don't get what made people go absolutely ape poo poo for this movie. Like I enjoyed it, it was a cute little movie, just like the first one. But drat man. No one at work seemed to give a poo poo about Monsters University (which came out around then) but everyone was talking about Despicable Me 2. And I even understand why people love the minions so much but come on people it wasn't THAT good!

• Locked thread