Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I don't like the rest of the sequels, they're just... smarmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on studios that still seriously explore animation as an art form? I mean, Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks all put out quality work still, but it's been so long since I felt anyone produce anything of note in terms of the physical medium itself.

http://www.sciencesaru.com/

I love pretty much anything and everything they've worked on.
Mindgame and the new Ping Pong anime.

Basically anything done by Masaaki Yuasa. That's probably one of the few good things about Ghibi's twilight is that Yuasa will become more well known.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
Honestly, it seems to me like if Ghibli was complaining about crappy box office receipts, they really only had themselves to blame. Just about everything post-Spirited Away has felt really paint-by-numbers. Really, nothing since Princess Mononoke has really demonstrated any real daring on their part to make the kinds of big pictures that make big money. They certainly had the talent and the distribution to keep making movies like that, but their producers meekly kept making movies like Arriety over and over when really they needed someone more like Cecil B. DeMille at the helm.

deetron69 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 7, 2014

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I am glad that I am not the only one with fond memories of Fieval Goes West.
Fievel Goes West is a lot like Rescuers Down Under in that I liked it a lot better than the original movie.

Also, the part where Tiger is training to be a dog is still great :colbert:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-director-jennifer-lee-to-adapt-a-wrinkle-in-time-for-disney-exclusive-1201275488/

Not sure if anyone's heard yet, but apparently Jennifer Lee's next project will be an adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time. Considering her record so far, that alone is enough to make me excited, but I imagine we're a long ways out, so anything can happen.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

U.T. Raptor posted:

Fievel Goes West is a lot like Rescuers Down Under in that I liked it a lot better than the original movie.

Also, the part where Tiger is training to be a dog is still great :colbert:
When I was a kid the Lazy Eye was probably the funniest thing in the world.

The dog sherrif was also Jimmy Stewart's last role.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm kind of ambivalent on A Wrinkle in Time - it's christian allegories especially later in the series felt even more heavy-handed then Narnia at times, but it's definitely got potential for great visuals and would be entertaining in the right hands.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope they shorten the title to Wrinkled.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And give it a big musical number that's really just kind of a typical musical theater song, but people go loving nuts over it anyway because apparently nobody's seen a play.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sarrisan posted:

Considering her record so far,

Two exceedingly average Disney movies?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Irish Joe posted:

Oh drat shots fired pew pew pew pew take that disney

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I'm kind of ambivalent on A Wrinkle in Time - it's christian allegories especially later in the series felt even more heavy-handed then Narnia at times, but it's definitely got potential for great visuals and would be entertaining in the right hands.

Also, Barlowe's already done some concept art! :buddy:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Pick posted:

Also, Barlowe's already done some concept art! :buddy:

gently caress yes, Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just animate this for a Wrinkle in Time animated movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhsCCQrCNAs

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I liked them both a lot. :saddowns:

Waffleman_ posted:

And give it a big musical number that's really just kind of a typical musical theater song, but people go loving nuts over it anyway because apparently nobody's seen a play.

Funny you should mention. Let It Go was my first exposure to Broadway-style music (Or at least my first exposure that got me interested), and now I own the OCR's of Wicked and If/Then, with more on my wish-list. I find I really love the stuff.

So I guess what I'm saying is; yes, please.

Also, Broadway is really expensive, and not everyone lives in New York. I'm crazy excited that the Wicked tour is coming back to my town, and on my loving birthday, too.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 7, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Get the OCRs to Avenue Q and Book of Mormon. They're by the same songwriters as Frozen and they're hilarious.

Edit: What do ya do with a BA in English?~

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sarrisan posted:

I liked them both a lot. :saddowns:

I was mostly joking, but I grew up with traditionally animated films and still have a hard time judging the quality of Disney's 3D output. I have yet to see a Disney film that looked as good as one of Dreamworks pictures or have the inventiveness of Pixar's classics, so I tend to judge them much more harshly than someone who grew up with 3D animation and compares them to the likes of Madagascar and Ice Age.

quote:

Funny you should mention. Let It Go was my first exposure to Broadway-style music (Or at least my first exposure that got me interested), and now I own the OCR's of Wicked and If/Then, with more on my wish-list. I find I really love the stuff..

Wicked :ughh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Defying Gravity, if nothing else, is loving incredible.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry to jack the thread, but what would you recommend if Wicked is ugh-worthy? Keep in mind I've yet to actually see any of these things, since the only avenue for that is illegal bootlegs.

Waffleman_ posted:

Get the OCRs to Avenue Q and Book of Mormon. They're by the same songwriters as Frozen and they're hilarious.

Edit: What do ya do with a BA in English?~

Those are on my list, but thanks. I don't make nearly as much money as my music to-buy list demands.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh no someone likes a musical :ohdear:.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Oklahoma is a little old fashioned, but it is still the best Broadway show ever put to film, and has an amazing soundtrack to boot. Soundtrack-wise, I'm partial to Cabaret (film version), Evita, L'il Abner, Company (a version of this show is available on Netflix) and La Cage aux Folles, but ymmv.

DoctorWhat posted:

Defying Gravity, if nothing else, is loving incredible.

Idina kills it on that song. Like, if she never did anything else for the rest of her career she would be remembered for that song.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

Sorry to jack the thread, but what would you recommend if Wicked is ugh-worthy? Keep in mind I've yet to actually see any of these things, since the only avenue for that is illegal bootlegs.

Wicked is popular, but it's very radio-pop and the lyrics are often clumsy so it's not well-regarded by musical fans. Here's some super-intro recommendations of modern musicals for people who liked Disney movies:

If you like:
Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules -- Little Shop of Horrors. By the same songwriters, Motown pop sound, darkly charming and humorous. There is a very good movie adaptation; you want the director's cut since the theatrical version was heavily focus grouped and has a different ending than the stage version.
Frozen -- Phantom of the Opera. Over the top, kitschy, melodramatic, not very critically well-regarded but loved by a lot of people. Poppy score takes advantage of the power of a full orchestra, so this is a good one to see live if it's touring near you. Full stage recording on Youtube. There's a movie which is kind of mediocre.
Comedic songs -- The Music Man. Purposefully retro, campy, and purehearted, catchy songs. Excellent movie adaptation.
Just plain beautiful music -- A Little Night Music. The most accessible work by cult-favorite Stephen Sondheim; you may know this one for "Send in the Clowns." The movie for this one is unwatchably bad, but there's a quality 2009 cast recording. If you want something by Sondheim to watch, a performance of Company is available on Netflix & Youtube.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Oh drat shots fired pew pew pew pew take that disney

Agreed, why make fun of Disney for sameface when Studio Ghibli has been even worse about it for much longer :troll:

Sarrisan posted:

I've only read the book but it was the definition of tryhard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Saeku posted:

Comedic songs -- The Music Man. Purposefully retro, campy, and purehearted, catchy songs. Excellent movie adaptation.

I was in The Music Man in high school, and I can't even see a Wells Fargo bank anymore without that drat song coming into my head. loving wagon :argh:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

K. Waste posted:

Alice vs Fievel

Just wanted to say I found this fascinating and thanks for posting it.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Another trailer for Book of Life is out.
http://youtu.be/VIjLLwf88cE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

thelaughingman posted:

Bummer, that's a far worse trailer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Daduzi posted:

Just wanted to say I found this fascinating and thanks for posting it.

Oh, why thank you. Lol, that's what happens when an anonymous poster accuses a pedantic narcissist of not paying attention. My only defense is wall-of-text.

Seriously, though, I haven't seen Fievel Goes West in years, but An American Tail is just one of those movies that's so profoundly bad that I'm not sure a sequel has anywhere to go but to improve upon it. You also have to respect the audacity of the people behind it to retroactively set their sequel even further back in America's mythic past, which I think at least partially suggests that they knew what was up. This also makes it all the more offensive that later sequels treated it as a dream. But there's the Alice in Wonderland thing, again.

Also, the wikipedia page summarizes the plot like this: "In the film, Fievel Mousekewitz is separated from his family (again)," with "(again)" hyperlinking to the article for the first movie. Bravo, anonymous wiki-ites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fievel_Goes_West

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Wikipedia article about Bluth studios (not involved in Fievel Goes West at all, by the way) is actually really detailed. What stands out to me is just how rapid the decline was: from the big gross of Land Before Time to the poor theater showing but big video gross of All Dogs Go To Heaven to the banktrupcy-inducing bomb of Rock-A-Doodle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Bluth_Studios

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I haven't seen it in years, but I loved Fievel Goes West as a kid and watched it all the time. I thought the gold lighting was gorgeous and I loved all the :cabot:CATS:cabot:. I don't think I even saw An American Tail until I was much, much older. I seem to remember wondering why it wasn't as pretty as the FGW.
Come to think of it, this was largely my experience with Rescuers Down Under. Even down to my fondness of gold lighting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thelaughingman posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Ice Cube prominently saying Today Was A Good Day.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Saeku posted:

Wicked is popular, but it's very radio-pop and the lyrics are often clumsy so it's not well-regarded by musical fans.

Neah, I disagree. Wicked is far from my favorite musical- I'm more of a Sondheim or Ashman/Menken man, myself- but it absolutely has its own distinct sound, and the lyrics are beyond functional. Those triple rhymes, man.

It's the dialogue scenes I can't stand :ssh:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Oh, why thank you. Lol, that's what happens when an anonymous poster accuses a pedantic narcissist of not paying attention. My only defense is wall-of-text.

Seriously, though, I haven't seen Fievel Goes West in years, but An American Tail is just one of those movies that's so profoundly bad that I'm not sure a sequel has anywhere to go but to improve upon it. You also have to respect the audacity of the people behind it to retroactively set their sequel even further back in America's mythic past, which I think at least partially suggests that they knew what was up. This also makes it all the more offensive that later sequels treated it as a dream. But there's the Alice in Wonderland thing, again.

Also, the wikipedia page summarizes the plot like this: "In the film, Fievel Mousekewitz is separated from his family (again)," with "(again)" hyperlinking to the article for the first movie. Bravo, anonymous wiki-ites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fievel_Goes_West

Corek posted:

The Wikipedia article about Bluth studios (not involved in Fievel Goes West at all, by the way) is actually really detailed. What stands out to me is just how rapid the decline was: from the big gross of Land Before Time to the poor theater showing but big video gross of All Dogs Go To Heaven to the banktrupcy-inducing bomb of Rock-A-Doodle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Bluth_Studios

Yo so having never even heard of it before this thread, I found a two dvd pack of Rock-A-Doodle and something called "The Pebble and the Penguin" in the bargain DVD bin at a Family Dollar. Is it the kind of bizarre awful that's worth my $4?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The owl in Rock-A-Doodle alone is worth $4

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Seeing Don Bluth deteriorate is worth the 4 dollars.

I post a lot about Don Bluth in this thread :sigh:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

Yo so having never even heard of it before this thread, I found a two dvd pack of Rock-A-Doodle and something called "The Pebble and the Penguin" in the bargain DVD bin at a Family Dollar. Is it the kind of bizarre awful that's worth my $4?

Like dirksteadfast said about a page back, Rock-A-Doodle is worth seeing just because it's so bizarre that for anyone who saw it as a kid it feels much more like a "mass hallucination" than an actual movie. According to the wiki article Corek posted, and the corresponding article, it was basically test-screened into poo poo in a desperate attempt to avoid the domestic bomb of All Dogs Go to Heaven. Thus, while the movie is 'weird,' it's relatively lacking in the darker and more suggestive content that had come to distinguish early Bluth/Sullivan films. This plan backfired and not only did Rock-a-Doodle bomb, but it didn't even manage to become the home video sleeper that All Dogs Go to Heaven did.

The Pebbles and the Penguin (which I haven't seen), was only finished after Bluth and Sullivan had already abandoned their company because of increasing oversight and lack of creative control in the wake of two more bombs, Thumbelina and A Troll in Central Park. It's basically a Bluth/Sullivan film in name only, and the nail in the coffin of their relatively independent productions before the box office and critical success of Anastasia. After that there was the direct-to-video spin-off Bartok, and Bluth/Sullivan's final enduring bomb, Titan A.E.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Titan A.E. is such a gorgeous movie with a few great characters, but a kinda crappy plot. I still love it though.

Travis343 posted:

The owl in Rock-A-Doodle alone is worth $4
The bad guy has such a great name. THE GRAND DUKE OF OWL.

And the theme song with like 20 total words in it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0x6EJd4-0

I love Bluth's animation skills but it feels like every movie he touches is flawed at best. A real shame.

edit: wow, in the related videos. I haven't even thought about A Goofy Movie in like, at least a decade. I must've watched that movie a dozen times or more as a kid. So 90's :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcqCFva-Gc

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 8, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I saw a whole lot of Don Bluth films as a kid and there was something that always disturbed me about them on some level. Mostly because they all had this grimy darkness in parts. All Dog Goes to Heaven is mostly the one I remember. I enjoyed the movie (enough to watch it more than once) but it always creeped me the gently caress out. Same with Rock-a-Doodle at parts (although that was never a favorite because even as a kid I was like "something isn't quite right") and even the American Tail films.

What I am saying is Don Bluth makes creepy loving movies.

I remember liking Titan AE though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh yes he always includes some kind of creepy or unsettling, kid-unfriendly poo poo in his movies, but I've always loved the...cartoonishness of his animation, I guess, compared to Disney works. He's also kind of a big ol' pervert, too, he can't resist his cartoon animal cleavage it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Captain Invictus posted:

I love Bluth's animation skills but it feels like every movie he touches is flawed at best. A real shame.

It's important to remember that Bluth and Sullivan made big names for themselves during a period when Disney was in decline but were still basically the only game in town. Feature-length animation is a very difficult industry to break into, and so their early projects really stand out as what's possible when a group of artists actually manages to break the dominance that a single company had over the entire industry. There even seems to be a significant amount of Bluth-influence on Disney's mid-'80s features The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver & Company. But as soon as the company hit its stride again in the Renaissance, there seems to have been a direct effect on the feasibility of Bluth and Sullivan's ventures.

The next company to pose a significant challenge to Disney's dominance of the marketplace was, tellingly, another Spielberg venture, DreamWorks Animation. But, really, The Prince of Egypt was their only significant success, and while that film has its pro's and con's, too, there's just not the same idiosyncratic feel that Bluth and Sullivan brought to their projects. All DreamWorks had to do was throw its weight behind the rise of CGI animation to attempt to compete with Pixar, and in the last two decades the gates have really flung open for 20th Century Fox to become the second major player in a slightly more diversified marketplace.

• Locked thread