Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to 2014 or as it will become known to all future generation: the year Pixar didn't manage to make a movie. This is the thread where people can discuss animated films. This basically included any animated features or short films but let's keep the discussion of animated TV shows and web series to other threads. This is CineD, so if there's no chance that it might make it onto a movie screen, there's probably better placed to discuss it. 2013 was a pretty slow year for animation overall (at least in my opinion). We got some good films (Monsters University, Frozen) and a bunch of mediocre to bad (Turbo, Planes, Epic, Despicable Me 2). As I mentioned, this year we aren't even getting a Pixar film, so what do we have to look forward to? Well we have:

The Nut Job (January 17th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFOEItiry8
This one does not look very good. I'd love to be proven wrong but pun titles are never a good sign and ads with a computer animated version of a year old Meme are an even worse sign (I don't think it's in this trailer but the TV ads have a computer animated Psy). On top of all that, Januaury is where studios put movies they think are terrible. So yeah, probably gonna be pretty bad.

The Lego Movie (February 7th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I
I don't think this looks that great but alot of people seem to be really looking forward to this one. To be fair it's made by the creator of Clone High, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street, so it has a good pedigree and maybe it'll prove me wrong. The animation style looks great at least.

Edit: I was wrong. This movie ruled.

The Wind Rises (February 21st 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q
The final film by Hayao Miyazaki about Jiro Horikoshi, designer of the Mitsubishi A5M. If you're in this thread you probably want to see this.

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (March 7th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-SwZfRd4U
I fear I'm coming off as overly negative now but I also don't have high hopes for this one. I love the original cartoon but this seems to not really have any interest in that beyond the basic concept. I guess what I'm saying is unless half the dialogue are puns so bad that I wish for the death of everyone involved, I'm not interested.

Rio 2 (April 11th)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZM1Zc0mBU
I really know nothing about this one way or the other. I didn't even see the original.

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (May 9th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DzZMOoegQ
...moving on.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (June 13th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3D-vvVli5g
Finally a movie I can get behind. Easily one of the best looking movies coming out this year and if it's half as good as the original (which Dreamworks sequels usually unfortunately are), it'll still be worth seeing. I only posted the teaser trailer because the full trailer apparently has some pretty major spoilers that the creators themselves didn't want in the trailer.

Planes 2: Fire and Rescue (July 18th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8dneO2-Xcs
Well we might not be getting a Pixar movie but we get this! I don't actually know why this exists...oh right. Money.

The Boxtrolls (September 26th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKou-3TuVQ
My most anticipated animated film of next year. It's by Studio Laika who made Coraline and ParaNorman and that's all I really need to know.

The Tale Of Princess Kaguya (2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDrkokymLQ
Because Pick told me to put it here. Another Ghibli film, this one by Isao Takahata, director of Grave of Fireflies.

Ratchet & Clank (2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqqGXH83qA
A movie based on the popular game series. This could go either way. Game movies tend to be pretty bad but this series does seem like a natural fit.

There's also more stuff coming like Big Hero 6 (a Disney/Marvel animated film), Minions (a Despicable Me film without all that stuff that wasn't marketable) and of course the two Pixar movies: The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out but that stuff doesn't even have proper trailers yet and info is slim. Keep following this thread and it'll come up eventually.

So get posting about cartoons and feel free to tell me all the errors (spelling and otherwise) I just made in this OP. I'll add to it as we go on.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

Oh boy. Oh loving boy.

There's no way Clumsy isn't going to let you avoid seeing this, is there?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

And also, considering I'm hearing nothing about Walking with Dinosaurs, is it safe to assume it bombed?

Yeah, it's only made 20 million so far and had an 80million budget. It's funny that with all the giant bombs last year, it's not even coming up as noteworthy though. Hell, a movie came out around the same time that's bombing way worse.

Pick posted:

I just noticed the title references the "Dreamworks face". And here we were complaining about memes.

I don't' believe it's a thing but I just thought it was a funny title :(

It's not like it won't come up again and again and again anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think KFP2 was awful but other than the animation itself I found it rather unremarkable and no where near as good as the first one on pretty much any level.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Livingtrope posted:

I noticed there was anime in the op, does that mean I can talk about how pretty Evangelion 3.0 is when it gets released in the US for theaters?

Yeah, that should be fine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

turtlecrunch posted:

Isn't there an entire forum for anime?

If it's a movie, I don't think it matters what style it's made in. If Vargo disagrees, that's fine but I just don't see a good reason not to talk about a movie just because it's Anime. I mean if we can talk about Ghibli, I don't see why not. I know Ghibli is way better than average but quality isn't what this thread is about as the OP clearly shows.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

This kind of thing is Blue Sky's curse (though I loved Horton Hears a Who and the first Ice Age). "Mediocre movie but pretty animation" should be their official slogan.

It always pains me to see great animation wasted. I remember seeing Shrek the Third and wishing that any of the writers had a tiny fraction of the passion that any of the animators had.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Senior Scarybagels posted:

What I meant is that they caused the perception of 2D animation being for kids, where as 3D Animation has the perception that it's for children as much as adults.

I don't think this is a change at all. During the 90s Disney films were critically acclaimed (Beauty and the Beast was nominated for an Oscar) and anyone that saw them knew they were in for something they would enjoy as much as their kids. If there was any shift, I think it has more to do with kids that grew up with Disney tapes becoming adults that still wanted to watch animated films than a change of style of animation.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

Has there actually ever been CGI films for adults only?

Final Fantasy is the closest I can think of.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

Avatar, but for whatever dumb reason people don't count that.

Because it deals with less adult themes than the average Pixar film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think it really does depend on how the movie itself wants to be perceived.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Speaking of perception and ratings, does anyone else think it's weird that Hunchback of Notre Dame has a "G" rating but Frozen got a "PG"?

I think in those days Disney wouldn't accept anything above a G and they had the pull to make sure that happened. These days I just don't think they care as much about getting a PG.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think that has less to do with Disney getting out of traditional animation and more to do with the rise of indie films and it becoming easier to make an animated movie on a lower budget.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kung Fu Panda is basically a really good Kung Fu Movie starring Jack Black in a capacity where even if you don't like him, he's still pretty likeable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Why is the tone for the Lego movie in the OP so negative? I love the pseudo-stopmotion animation style, the cast is talented, and all of the marketing points to an over-the-top comedic romp--something the director does well. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is hilarious.

Because I've found all the trailers to be really unfunny and obnoxious. As I said in the OP, only the pedigree is giving me any hope at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HellOnEarth posted:

I just saw Persistence of Vision, the doc about the making (and subsequent disaster) of The Thief and the Cobbler. Really excellent insight into what happened to that movie, I really recommend it if it's playing nearby.

It's an odd film because you expect to go in hating the studio for ruining the film and you end up admiring Richard Williams but also thinking that everything that happened was his own damned fault. He's brilliant but it's really hard to feel sorry for him.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Also the whole hey dad needs a wife and girls need a mom in their life sour'd me on that movie.

What kills me was how lazy they were about the whole thing. The basic premise is slightly annoying but I can deal with it but the movie made no effort to justify it. The girls are shown to be lacking nothing in their life. Gru is shown as being an amazing single Dad that tends to all their needs. The movie just assumes that they need a mom because that's the way things are and we will agree with that.

The scene where that plotline is introduced is the worst too. The youngest has to make a speech about how great mothers are in a mothers day pageant but she can't put any emotion into it because she doesn't have a Mom. What the hell? First off, what the hell is a Mother's Day Pageant? Second of all, why isn't the plot that the school is wrong for making a girl without a mother perform a speech about how great it is to have Mom? That seems pretty hosed up to me. Third of all, what is so unique about having a Mom that she can't transfer what Gru does for her into an understanding of Moms. Wouldn't it have been a far better plot to have her understand that the feelings she supposed to be feeling in the speech she can get from her Father? Not to mention the actual Mother character isn't really shown as being more than a fun playmate that in no way fills a need that they are shown as having.

As I said, the idea that kids would want a Mom isn't outrageous, but this movie is so positive that this is the way things have to be that it puts no effort into justifying it and that's really more offensive to me than the actual basic point.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

Don't forget that Despicable Me 2 literally just ignores that the girls HAD a grandmother figure in the first movie. (Gru's mom.) They just drop her entirely without explanation so that they can put this "girls need a maternal figure" bullshit in there.

She mysteriously shows up at the end too. It's like after everything is solved they're just like "OK, you can come out for one scene because at this point maybe no one will notice".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

I don't even remember this.

She's pretty easy to miss. If I recall correctly, she's (probably don't need this spoiler but whatever) at the Wedding at the end. I don't think she has any lines or actually does anything, but she's still there.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Can someone explain to me why the minions became so popular after the first Despicable me?

The reason the Minions are popular is because little kids like them and find them funny. That's really about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Urdnot Fire posted:

Feral
Get A Horse!
Mr. Hublot
Possessions
Room On The Broom

I mentioned this in gen chat but Feral is so loving good and I'm glad it got nominated. Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIKK-8Uuy4
This was somehow made in flash.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Despicable Me 2 made a poo poo ton of money (way more than MU I believe) and wasn't hated by critics and that's usually enough to get a nomination. If Disney didn't have a stronger film, MU would have gotten nominated but it they have Frozen so they won't feel snubbed and Croods is there so Dreamworks won't feel snubbed. Really it all makes sense as to why stuff was nominated.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also having Dean Hardscrabble be pointlessly petty and cruel to the point where she would ruin the lives of two students for offending her was like something out of those "and then the professor made them bow down before Karl Marx and revoke Jesus and expelled the student for disproving evolution" e-mail forwards your grandma sends you. It was really uncharacteristically shallow characterization from Pixar, almost as if they needed to manufacture some conflict in the name of re-using their existing IP in a genre pastiche for marketing purposes instead of letting a story rise organically from something new and exciting.

I like the Dean in the movie actually. She's completely right about them for the most part. At the point in the movie where she ruins them both are so single minded in how they're going about their lives, that if they continue on their path they will fail. Mike will never be a good scarer and Sully just assumes he's better than he actually is. As they are, both of them don't really have a chance of making it. When they unexpectedly overcome their flaws, she admits that she was wrong about them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It looks like Ratchet and Clank isn't the only game Sony is making into a movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzX4zr5c-l4
:suicide:
I actually really liked the game this was based on and even liked the plot but this looks awful. On a purely visual level it actually looks worse than the game. Not the game's cutscenes mind you, but the actual in game graphics.

It doesn't help that in the game that the main villain was played by Andy Serkis and in this...well that's clearly not him.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 18, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone ever complain about Werner Herzog being in something?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey Animation Thread, I'm a big enough man to admit I was wrong and the Lego Movie was in fact pretty fantastic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Well, the couch gags are officially better than the actual show now.

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1iplQQJTo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bill and Ted was already a kid friendly Bill and Ted.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Flushed Away was pretty alright. It's Aardman's weakest but it still has alot of their charm and I still found it pretty entertaining.

Also those aliens from that Dreamworks movie are incredibly generic. They look like colors with faces and that's about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

sbagliom posted:

So there's no hope that we'll ever see another animated film that's drawn and painted by hand, is there? Even though that Peanuts trailer was a relief (I was expecting an abomination), I think there's still a quality to the old stuff that they'll never recapture - and it apparently isn't feasible to try.

The problem is new people just aren't really learning in cell animation anymore. I remember on one of the Simpsons commentaries they said they held out on animating it on computers for years, but the new animators they were getting simply just didn't have experience working with cells rather than drawing on computers so they eventually had to make the switch.

I think part of the problem is just cost. It's pretty much infinitely cheaper to store cells on computers rather than needing thousands upon thousands of physical cells. It is also way easier on the actual animators because editing and fixing things just becomes insanely easier. Advantages like that really can't compete with an undefinable charm that only the most die hard of fans of the medium give a poo poo about.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think most of what I was saying applies to both the animators and ink and paint though. It does provide far more benefit to the ink and paint side, but all the conveniences that apply to ink and paint still apply to animation (no material costs, easier to correct mistakes, easier to go back and change things completely).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTnaS8xKwS8
There is no god. :smithicide:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm rarely as mixed about a movie as I was about Secret of the Kells. The movie was absolutely gorgeous but the writing was pretty much garbage supporting an extremely generic plot. I think I like it overall but I also think that I could watch it on mute and pretty much get the same experience.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the movie that well anymore but I just remember the dialogue being abysmal and maybe "generic" isn't the right word for the plot as much as "dull".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Late to this discussion but Panty and Stocking kind of violently went between being brilliant and being absolutely awful. It also brutally made fun of anime while also just sort of doing the things it was making fun of. It was an odd series that, as was mentioned, at the very least has the best most trollish ending ever.

The only episode I ever really go back to is the Seinfeld inspired one though.

Unrelated, this apparently exists and looks amazingly ugly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXEKZVonko&t=27s

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 2, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly shudder to think what Carmelita is going to look like.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's still odd to me when people speak doom and gloom about Pixar. They had one bad movie (which really isn't as bad as people say it is), one film that was really good but had some internal troubles and a perfectly good sequel that gets lumped in as being bad for no reason I can really see other than it being a sequel. They've stumbled a bit from the absurdly good streak they had going but they still aren't exactly a name that doesn't mean anything anymore.

Also it should be noted that Planes isn't Pixar, it's Disney.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I played the SNES version so I don't know (is that a Genesis-exclusive level?).

The SNES and Genesis version were completely different games made by different companies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing that puts Roger Rabbit above alot of current computer animated stuff is effort. In Roger Rabbit they tried so hard to make it look natural. So much effort was put into it, even in areas where it really probably wouldn't have mattered. All you need to do is look at something like Cool World to see what traditionally animated mixed with live action without that effort looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Animated movies have big star talent for the same reason any movie does: it gets more people to see your movie. This has been the way it's been since there's been the concept of celebrity so getting bitter about it seems weird. Besides, these movies are still expensive as hell to get out in a timely fashion with good visuals. Pixar often doesn't rely on celebrities but that doesn't really make their movies much cheaper. Animation can be cheap if you have lots of time, people willing to work for not much money and don't mind losing some visual complexity but it's mostly expensive as hell to do a big animated production and saying the only real cost is the voice talent is just silly.

Also I haven't checked this thread in like half a year. What's been happening? :)

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 25, 2014

• Locked thread