Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really hoping the Ratchet & Clank movie does well, at least in terms of being a good movie if not in the box office. The characters and writing were so good in the recent games, but it's really a toss-up as to whether that'll translate well to film.

And if they don't have Dr. Nefarious in the film, they'll be doing a serious disservice to the audience. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Its an adaptation of the first game with Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark fighting Ultra Supreme Executive Chairman Drek.

Huh. I guess it'd be interesting to see their take on the beginning with a non-rear end in a top hat Ratchet.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Pretty certain this will happen. Ever since Tools of Destruction started aping animation movies (they actually had background music in cutscenes for the first time), I feared this would happen. Too bad R&C is not only badly written, but also always had incredibly bland and uninteresting characters, aliens, enemies and whatnot.

Seriously. Like, 90% of all enemies are robot torsos. The true stars of the series have ALWAYS been the weapons, and I highly doubt they can make the entire movie about that.

Also, the very first teaser actually made a god-awful "hur hur, don't piss off the animators, 'cause they are GODS" joke. Not a good sign, if you ask me.

I'm afraid to start a derail with this, but have we been playing the same games? I mean it's probably a difference in taste, but the way I saw it, everything in that series (the main series at least), from the weapons to the characters to the aliens, had this goofy charm that was always fun as hell.

I remember seeing some behind the scenes footage where the developers designed several enemies in A Crack in Time to reflect stereotypical high school cliques, like with the big scaly warrior-race aliens acting like jocks that pushed around the big-headed, nerdy aliens. Stuff like that is why I love the series. Sure the aliens tended to be generic with less depth than one would find in, say, Star Trek. But it was always good light-hearted fun regardless.

Hell, I thought A Crack in Time had some pretty decent writing and humor for a video game, especially with the plot surrounding Dr. Nefarious and Azimuth.

I mean, I'm not expecting Pixar-level stuff from this movie, but if it's as fun as the games are, then that's fine by me.

Plus I the trailer got a laugh out of me, as corny as it was. :shobon:

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
I think the last game's return to form wasn't too bad, short as it was. I thought the writing was fine in the PS3 games, especially A Crack in Time. Plus I'm pretty sure the double-entendre naming is still going on? "Full Frontal Assault" and all.

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but I don't think R&C is as dead as you guys are saying. I dunno. I'm cautiously looking forward to the movie, at least. v:buddy:v

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played the Sly Cooper games so maybe you have to just be used to it over the years of playing them, but I can't stand the turtle's voice at all.

I honestly like it. I'd agree it's probably an acquired taste. v:shobon:v

It was really hard to sit through that trailer, though.

EDIT: I really hope they decide to redo it in the more cartoony art style because Jesus Cristo it looks bad.

A Meatslab fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 31, 2014

• Locked thread