Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you can't even make the meme look good, then why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part of me hopes Psy actually appears in the movie, and another part of me wants them to have literally modeled a Psy for no other reason than to dance in the commercial.

Edit: I honestly expected there to be a lovely animated movie that used Gangnam Style a lot earlier though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It in fact is, and the animation looks astounding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems like The Nut Job commercials are now Psy-free. I think it was just for New Years/Psy's birthday which is on NYE.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Big Hero 6 has directors attached.

Chris Williams and Don Hall are co-directing and Roy Conli is producing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm gonna say for certain that Wind Rises, Frozen, and Monsters are gonna make the noms, with my money going to Wind Rises to win.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey guys, there's gonna be a preview of The Nut Job on Cartoon Network tonight. Can't wait to see how awful this really is.

Edit: It was just on. The answer is very.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 14, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel bad for all the parents who took their kids to see Despicable Me 2 and probably had to deal with them going BEE DO BEE DO. Got enough of that in the commercials, thank you very much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yessssss! Can't wait for Jay Dub's inevitable review.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jay Dub posted:

The Nut Job ends with every single character doing the Gangnam Style dance with an animated Psy over the end credits. The whole goddamn song.

:yotj:

This is gonna be the best Current Releases ever. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Nut Job 2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pick posted:

Disney's Enchantress.

Nah, we gotta follow the title formula now.

Disney's Refused Shelter By An Eleven Year Old.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The cast of the Captain Underpants movie has been announced.

quote:

Captain Underpants is based on Dav Pilkey’s popular book series and centers around two scheming fourth graders, George Beard (Kevin Hart) and Harold Hutchins (Thomas Middleditch) whose personal missions are to play pranks, hide in their secret treehouse and write comic books. But when they accidently bring their favorite comic book character, Captain Underpants, to life through a hypnosis accident involving their megalomaniacal principal Mr. Krupp (Ed Helms), their elementary school life becomes anything but elementary. Rounding out the cast will be Jordan Peele who will voice Melvin, the nerdy nemesis of George and Harold, and Nick Kroll as the insidious villain, Professor Poopypants.

Seems like a decent cast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

How are the actual animated segments? Could Disney release a truncated "tales of brer Rabbit" DVD without too much controversy, are the stories themselves offensive, or is it just that their association with the live action parts has tarnished them? As far as I know most brer rabbit stories are adaptations of Anansi stories and other African trickster myths transposed into the American setting and with allegorical aspect relating to slavery and power. Even the tar baby is VERY closely related to an Anansi tale, and it's status as a racial slur obviously came later than the original African stories

Well, I believe the characters are still in use on Splash Mountain, which was partly inspired by Song of the South.

Edit: Reading up on it, it seems like some of the animated portions HAVE been released on their own as like bonuses in other DVDs. Plus, Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear appeared in the Kinect Disneyland game and that was three years ago.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 4, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

couldcareless posted:

So I've been thinking this over for awhile now and I can't come up with a good answer myself since I'm not well versed in music theory, but what is it about the Frozen soundtrack that makes it sound so "broadway" vs music from any other Disney classic like the little Mermaid, beauty and the beast, etc?

I would think it's because of the Broadway talent behind it. Not only do you have Idina Menzel from Wicked and Josh Gad from The Book of Mormon, the songwriters are also Broadway songwriters, having worked on shows like Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Echoing the praise for Lego here. I never expected a silly toy movie to make me cry, holy crap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A blindbag is a small collectable toy in an opaque bag, so that you don't know which one you're getting in it. The aim is to buy a lot so you can collect them all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That was a "behind the scenes" ad, which was mocking b-roll press kit featurettes, and each of the characters said who was playing them.

Along with Morgan Freeman attempting a Batman voice. It was adorable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got in the theater right at the end of the Boxtrolls trailer. On the bright side, Planes 2 and Oz! Ergh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

effectual posted:

I'm pretty sure there's been one for months.

There isn't, I checked.

Edit: Just read something about the Lego Movie that blew my mind. You know how they had "8 1/2 Years Later" at the beginning? They had that because Lord Business/The Man Upstairs started the whole Lego world before Finn was born and everything changed when he came down to play with them, and Finn looked about 8.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 10, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Traxus IV posted:

I'm glad you guys have so much good stuff to say about the Lego movie cos I mentioned that I wanted to see it to a friend and she went OH MAN ME TOO and started listing off a poo poo-ton of pop culture characters that were in it like it was a Family Guy episode or something and it made me not want to see it again.

Thank you for restoring my hope. Also the Clone High and Cloudy dudes did this? gently caress yes I am so down for this movie.

The majority of the licensed characters only appear in one scene and are used for quick jokes. The only licensed character with a really significant presence in the movie is Batman and he's the best cinematic Batman we've had.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Corek posted:

If only there was some kind of name for this stroke-like face particular animated characters have, perhaps localized to a studio wherein they are located.

I think I would strike that sort of face with a form of footwear, perhaps for an indeterminate amount of time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God dammit, guys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

Dreamworks made a short introducing the aliens that will star in Home.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/home-exclusive-introduction-video

Gotta say, not jazzed about it. Something about the Boov's design irks me.

I love that the article actually acknowledges the existence of Flushed Away, which I had forgotten was a thing until this moment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes! I am so happy right now!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of Ghibli, I was able to see The Wind Rises last night. Granted, it was in a tiny screening room in a locally-owned theater and it was the subtitled version, but still. Saw it. Not Miyazaki's absolute best, but still a real fitting capstone to an illustrious career, if this is truly the end of it. There were times where it felt like Miyazaki was looking back over his entire career and what came of it. The dream scene with Caproni talking about his final design and how artists are only creative for ten years especially felt like Miyazaki was talking directly to the audience and saying goodbye. The film really touched me as an artist, being about the beauty of inspiration, and I feel that Jiro was chosen as a subject because Miyazaki related to him a fair bit. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I cried at the end. It seems like the only movies I cry at nowadays are cartoons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait, WHAT?!

They're making a PEANUTS movie?!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sequels to The Incredibles (Yay!) and Cars (Of course) are in development.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Seth Macfarlane could also be described as The Guy With The Episode About Domestic Abuse Which Was Played Uncomfortably Straight Except They Still Had Some Jokes Which Made It Even More Uncomfortable And Literally Ended With Murder.

But that's a bit long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was also incredibly heavily advertised on Cartoon Network. Almost every commercial break on the network last summer had the full 2-minute trailer, it seemed like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also by the director of Summer Wars, which while being basically a full-length version of the second Digimon movie (also by the same director), is super good in its own right.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

raditts posted:

Do they wear the term "otaku" as a grease-covered badge of honor over there like they do in the US?

Well, for one thing, over there, otaku is used to describe an obsessive fan of anything, not just anime. You can be a train otaku or a movie otaku or a game otaku.

Secondly, it is very much a derogatory term.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

raditts posted:

When did everyone come around to Tangled? I've always liked it but when it first came out I remember people here making GBS threads all over it.

Saw it on a plane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

^^ It was okay, but I could not take Mila Kunis seriously as the Wicked Witch, because when that woman yells, all I can think about is her yelling at Kelso on That 70s Show.

Robindaybird posted:

Speaking of Ads, anyone feel like the Oz one is basically screaming "This is going to be awful"?

When is Hollywood going to stop loving around and give us a Wicked movie already? I know Universal has the rights and they mentioned it as recently as last year, so what's the hold-up? In the meantime, we've gotten an inferior Oz prequel in Oz The Great and Powerful, this dumb Oz sequel, and Wicked But About Sleeping Beauty with Maleficent. Just....give me a Wicked movie. I want it.

The musical, not the book, because the book has a lot of weird unnecessary sex stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I finally got around to seeing Frozen, and while I liked it, I'm actually super regretting not seeing it when it was still fresh. The magic was a bit ruined by its ubiquity in the cultural zeitgeist.

Basically, everyone spoiled it for me because I took too long to watch it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AnimeJune posted:

Edit: I am TOTALLY down for the Malificent movie, though. Angelina Jolie looks amazing.

I'm really not. It feels too much to me like Disney is trying to ride Wicked's success, combined with the fact that they did their own Oz prequel as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Disney and the directors of Frozen have explicitly stated that they want to work on a Broadway musical before they even think about a sequel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So Legends of Oz is a musical. I mean, I read that on Wikipedia the other day, and it's not like I mind since I'm not seeing it anyway, but I only just saw the first commercial that included this fact, and there have been Oz commercials on Cartoon Network all the time. It just seems like such a weird detail to leave out until two days before release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I never watched Glee, so when they kept advertising that Dorothy is voiced by Lea Michele, I had no idea who the gently caress that was and had to look her up.

Thanks, Legends of Oz. Now I feel like an old person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Lea Michele was a brilliant up and coming Broadway star who got ruined by mainstream success. She is now known for performing autotuned-to-hell covers of bad top 40s pop.

This is exactly why I don't like Glee.

• Locked thread