Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked Kung Fu Panda 2 MORE than the first to be honest! Lord Shen was awesome, and the cannonball and raindrop scenes were so good

Plus I love the character designs and Tigress kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rahonavis posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. Also for having three or four subplots and eight or nine characters too many. (The bird animation was excellent, though. Shame.)

This kind of thing is Blue Sky's curse (though I loved Horton Hears a Who and the first Ice Age). "Mediocre movie but pretty animation" should be their official slogan.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

9 could've used more story but dang is that a pretty film :swoon:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think it's generally accepted around here that the Kung Fu Panda movies (alongside How To Train Your Dragon) are some of the best stuff Dreamworks has done. Seriously go watch it, it's a great movie.

The celebrity voices I forgot were even celebrities pretty quick. As recognizable as Jack Black is, I hear him as Po, and not Jack Black. Same for all the other characters with maybe the exception of Seth Rogen as Mantis

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think the Lego trailer looks pretty great and the people and voices behind it is just icing on the cake V:shobon:V I was surprised by he negative description in the OP as well

Probably the only joke I didn't like was the girl going "That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard" and then Morgan Freeman Lego going "Let me handle this. That idea was just the worst" but it was clearly not in response to the bunk-couch and was just cut weird

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Despicable Me 2 as well. It was a big commercial success and of the remaining American releases it's probably the most well-regarded. Not exactly a stellar year.

I just don't get what made people go absolutely ape poo poo for this movie. Like I enjoyed it, it was a cute little movie, just like the first one. But drat man. No one at work seemed to give a poo poo about Monsters University (which came out around then) but everyone was talking about Despicable Me 2. And I even understand why people love the minions so much but come on people it wasn't THAT good!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

^^^ That's a pretty low bar you're setting

Cloche posted:

I haven't seen Despicable Me 2, but that's actually sorta sad. The first one was really nice and cute in that respect. Are there many animated kids' movies that specifically deal with similar themes and an unconventional family structure, and end the movie unambiguously saying "you know what, this is just as okay as anything else"? The only thing that immediately comes to mind is Lilo & Stitch, I guess.

A Goofy Movie and its sequel never even brings up Max's mom I think. So I guess that kind of.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tartarus Sauce posted:

For me, the REAL unresolved conflict is that, for most of the characters in the KFP-verse, Po's the only panda they know. This isn't just about his mom and dad, but rather, his entire species!

Yeah this is the main point of the thing at the end, not so much the dad reveal. The movie seemed to imply that Po was the last remaining Panda after Shen destroys them. But that turns out not to be the case and I'm really interested in seeing where they go with it in KFP3. Plus that final shot of the camera flying all around until you get to the little Panda place is just a cool shot in the movie.

I'm sure there will be something where Po's dad and Po's biological dad will have to put aside their differences or some poo poo to help Po/The Five out (maybe Po's real dad doesn't like noodles idk) but I'm pretty confident it'll be handled just fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I feel like I am the only one geuinly looking forward to Mr. Peabody and Sherman. I love pretty much all the Jay Ward cartoons, and this looks like a much better take than the Brenden Fraiser movies. Also, the bit in the trailer about DiVinci trying to build a mechanical child had me in stitches.

I've heard some people complain about the punny jokes in the trailer but, uh, did they even watch the cartoon? Puns are like half of the writing.

I think it looks fun! It doesn't look like it's going to be HTTYD or Kung-Fu Panda good but doesn't look bad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

To be fair to... a fictional dragon centipede, her kicking Sully and Mike off the scaring program seems like it'd have happened even if they hadn't destroyed her scaring record container. Like she said, Mike wasn't scary himself and there was no getting around it so he was going to fail. And Sully was going to fail because he didn't think he had to do anything other than roar. And by the end of the movie, because of those same two students, she was willing to start looking for "surprises" in the scaring program instead of just going by who is like... normal scary.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Syndrome's plan is more though than just making everyone super. In order to get there he has to: kill off tons of superheroes to test his robot, kill the Incredible family, and put an entire city at risk just so that he can swoop in and be the hero. And then he even says "and when I'm old and had my fun, I'll sell my inventions" so he isn't even doing the "everyone is super no one will be" thing until after he's had years to be a "hero". Though they do make him a little sympathetic since it's (kind of) Mr. Incredible's fault Syndrome is a villain at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Morning Report isn't just bad because it totally changes that scene. It's a bad loving song in general. Like wow Zazu did not need a song and even Simba's part is done terribly. I'm glad the DVD let me pick a version of the movie without it cause christ. The Pocohontas song goes beyond bad to just bewildering really. It probably wouldn't be a bad song if they got someone who could actually sing. Human Again was actually a pretty good song but it didn't really fit in the movie and I don't like how they "cleaned up" the whole castle.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Wonder where Long John Silver from Treasure Planet fits in to this?

God I love Long John Silver. He's definitely one of my favorite Disney characters of all time. I even felt kind of bad that he had to give up his treasure to save Jim. He lost his arm, leg, and eye trying to find it! "You give up a few things, chasin a dream"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I feel nothing for the Bambi II sequel story wise but it is a VERY nice looking sequel. Bambi 2, Stitch has a Glitch, Lion King 1 1/2, and Brother Bear 2 all look pretty good for being straight to DVD.

Also how in the world did Brother Bear 2 get a sequel? I always forget that movie even existed. At least I remembered Home on the Range happened

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well that was a better teaser than Ratchet & Clank got I'll say that.

I hate the design of the hippo though. I have no idea if he looks like that in the game but I do not like it!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Why didn't they just go for smoother versions of those designs? :confused: The hippo especially looks perfectly fine there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxwqG3Tyao

Behold, the winner of the 1971 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film :downsbravo:

This owns. I love when it takes forever to get to one stupid joke at the end. Award earned.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Eh it came out in September so that seems about right. I mean Frozen comes to DVD in March so about 2-3 months sounds right

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I haven't played the Sly Cooper games so maybe you have to just be used to it over the years of playing them, but I can't stand the turtle's voice at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Senior Scarybagels posted:

that's what Frollo said to the Gargoyles right?

In an ironic twist of fate, Frollo found the Gargoyles humorous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

redcheval posted:

Nothing particularly helpful to add to this discussion but I actually find the racism in Disney chat a very interesting read.

And I'm happy the Lego Movie is getting good reviews. The more I see of it the more childish and kind of dumb it looks but for some reason I'm still super hyped for it.

I think the "for some reason" is because of who is behind it.

The first Cloudy, Clone High and 21 Jump Street were all hilarious so I have high hopes. I mean every clip that's available on youtube has made me laugh.

I do like in one of the videos for the Lego Movie it starts off with "FROM THE CREATORS OF 21 JUMP STREET AND 22 JUMP STREET" and then there's a loving Lego man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I imagine most people, especially the younger generation, associates Brer Bear and Brer Rabbit (as well as the songs) with Splash Mountain more than Song of the South at this point. It's one of the most popular rides at the park, and any merchandise with them is usually centered around Splash Mountain. It's all pretty far removed from Song of the South at this point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So the Lego movie was great. The spaceman finally getting to build his spaceship and the next part "SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP. SPACESHIP" was hysterical. I'm a little surprised this loving song is stuck in my head still.

Everything is awesome!

edit: Oh yeah and someone else mentioned this, but they seriously don't say "lego" at any point during the movie that I can remember. Even the live action part near the end, they never refer to "legos" as a product. It's like the exact opposite of something like transformers.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 9, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

We didn't get a Boxtrolls trailer :( We got a trailer for that lovely looking Oz movie though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

effectual posted:

Who's will fort? And the 21 jump guys were in Lego? As what?

Good movie, I just saw it. Now I'm at the pub and some football player cam out? Great day.

Will Forte is this guy:

And Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill were Superman and Green Lantern

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There was a new Boxtrolls trailer like 2 days ago and no one posted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_geARV7b4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hey, was there ever any info about why Roger reacts the way he does to Jack Daniels (or whatever it was) in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Cause I guess it could be as simple as cartoons react weird to alcohol cause they're cartoons but maybe it's some other thing like what's in it, kind of like how The Dip was just paint thinner?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh wow that does look really nice. It's a really nice hybrid of the Peanuts style and CG.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whenever I see a long roll of cuban or whatever bread, I always think of the Charlie Brown where he's trying to get the bread through the door and it keeps breaking in half and he has to buy a new one. I mean I must have seen that Charlie Brown France movie like one time when I was 5 but that scene still sticks out to me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I loved Monsters U and Toy Story 2+3 (and the shorts it spawned) and felt like Cars 2 would've worked if they hadn't included Mater and Lightning at all and just made it a spy movie. However I don't like them planning even more sequels. The only reason I'm interested in Finding Dory is because the first one is loving gorgeous and I can't wait to see how much better the environments can look nowadays. But do we need another Cars movie? I was excited for an Incredibles sequel back in like 05 or whenever it came out, but now I'm fine with just letting that be.

Or maybe they're doing this on purpose so WDFA shines even brighter :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wellp. Definitely interested in that. The animation is nice, and the facial expressions look really good even though it doesn't seem like they should?

They left the momma at the farm though :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

sbagliom posted:

So there's no hope that we'll ever see another animated film that's drawn and painted by hand, is there? Even though that Peanuts trailer was a relief (I was expecting an abomination), I think there's still a quality to the old stuff that they'll never recapture - and it apparently isn't feasible to try.

I dunno, Paperman looked really really good and when they do a whole movie like that it's going to be amazing.

There's obviously a certain charm you lose by not having hand drawn animation, but I'm not really lamenting the loss of it as I once did. Some of the stuff people are doing now is really impressing me as far as pushing the boundaries for computer animation. Like Hotel Transylvania

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

A new cars sequel leaves me feeling :geno:. I liked the second, but it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of the other Pixar efforts.
I really wanted a sequel to the Incredibles, so I look forward to it. But I expect it to become standard superhero fair, I just can't see it becoming anything else.

This part confuses me. So you didn't like Toy Story 3 as much as the first because the movie drew you in too much?
While I understand that people have different ways of viewing movies, I really have to ask you what you felt after watching Toy Story 1 the first time. It seems to me that any movie that enraptures you and "forces" you in a different watching behaviour is worth it's weight in gold. (if movies weighed anything that is)

I know some people thought the Toy Story 3 was rather emotionally manipulative (which I don't agree with but I can see why they'd say it). Maybe that's what she meant by abused?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

It's definitely sexual innuendo but it could also be taken literally. It's a general cartoon gag.

An excellent film. I've always liked the relationship between Jessica and Roger.

Well it is taken literally since they are literally playing pattycake :v:

I agree. A cute little line is when Eddie asks her why she likes Roger and she says "Because he makes me laugh" :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah story wise I just thought it was super mediocre. I dunno. It was just like "eh that was alright" but the animation was pretty sweet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Disney literally can't keep the shelves stocked with enough Frozen merchandise for everyone

http://blog.disneystore.com/blog/2014/05/disney-store-frozen-merchandise-announcement.html

quote:

Dear Disney Store Guests:

You may have noticed a few changes this weekend at your local Disney Store as it relates to purchasing Frozen products. We are thrilled that the story of Anna and Elsa has touched the hearts of so many, and we have been working around the clock to get product back on shelves as soon as possible. At Disney Store, we strive to provide an exceptional Guest experience for everyone and creating an equitable way to purchase Frozen product is part of our ongoing effort to deliver on that commitment.

With limited quantities of Frozen product beginning to flow back into Stores, we have developed a new in-store purchase method that aims to make the process predictable and fair for all our Guests. Highlights of the process are as follows:

All Stores will be replenishing Frozen items as shipments are received. Select product, including dolls and plush, will only be available for sale on Saturdays at Store opening.

For the Elsa Costume, opportunity drawings to purchase one costume per Guest will be held on Saturdays. Drawings are determined by individual Store inventory, so please check back here on Fridays for a complete list of participating Stores. At participating locations, Cast Members will be explaining the rules in full detail Saturday mornings, prior to the opportunity drawings. Please note, drawings are conducted by size, and Guests can only enter for one opportunity drawing.

The 2 item per Guest limit remains in effect for select Frozen merchandise both in Stores and online. As stated above, the Frozen Elsa Costumes will be limited to one per Guest.

This process pertains to Disney Store locations in U.S. and Canada until further notice. Please note, Outlet locations do not have the Elsa Costume in their inventory, and therefore will not be participating in the opportunity drawing process.

We anticipate Frozen product being back in stock in Stores come July/August and will continue to evaluate the need for these purchase methods to ensure the best possible Guest Experience.

In addition, or for those Guests who prefer to shop online, please continue to check DisneyStore.com as Frozen product is replenished weekly.

We thank you for your continued support and loyalty, and we hope you have a Magical day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mistaya posted:

You do have to admit that Elsa's snow queen dress is pretty boss and if I was still a 7 year old girl I would trade both my little brothers for one.

It is kind of crazy that they can't keep stock though, when there's no actual holiday around to drive sales, but I have seriously heard little kids singing the 'In Summer' song just walking around town. Frozen absolutely owns its target audience.

I was in little pizza place recently with a friend and Let It Go came on the radio there. And there was at least one person in every table singing along (ours included)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

I've actually read that the composer of Wreck-It Ralph said something about being called back for another one, so I dunno...

Wreck-it Ralph lends itself way more to a sequel than Frozen does I think. I think you could do a lot of things with the Wreck-it Ralph world but Frozen should just get the Tangled treatment of doing a short based on it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Sleeping Beauty truly is a visual spectacle and, in my mind, little else.

Sleeping Beauty was gorgeous, but I loving hated those stupidass fairies and overall the movie was boring.

But Snow White is also boring and the worst princess. Also Cinderella. I want to see none of those movies re-released.

The guy who said Cats Don't Dance: YES please. Then re-release it on DVD in loving WIDESCREEN. This full screen bullshit has gone on LONG ENOUGH

AnimeJune posted:

Edit: I am TOTALLY down for the Malificent movie, though. Angelina Jolie looks amazing.

I am just so NOT excited for that movie at all, and Angelina Jolie being the one playing Malificent (who I already am not a huge fan of villain wise) just makes me SO uninterested. I'd rather see like, the chick who plays Regina on Once Upon a Time take on the role instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I like Fantasia 2000 more than the original V:shobon:V

• Locked thread