Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They haven't announced the full cast yet but I have faith that they'll have an actual asian dude voicing Hiro since Disney is pretty good about not whitewashing the casts of their movies (see: the entire cast of Mulan).

I had to go look this up because I didn't believe it. Because right away I think of Shang, Shen Yu, and the small guy with the black eye and they were all white dudes. But looking it almost the entire cast is asian, and Eddie Murphy obviously voices Mushu. So I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Is it weird that the thing I really noticed from the Big Hero Six trailer was how well the eyes were animated on the kid? I mean I know how important it is to make sure you don't screw up when it comes to the eyes anyway, but the shots of him from behind his laptop where you only see his eyes look really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well that looks wonderful

edit: The reviews are coming in already and they don't sound promising:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also released today, a teaser for Song of the Sea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ejpl3QFuU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

johntfs posted:

The second part of the scene, the dragon-flight, is also really interesting because it can't really occur in the way the it appears to play out. Toothless can't just disobey Hiccup and take off on his own. Dragon and rider have to function in concert for there to be flight. The movie has fully established that fact previously. So, Toothless is not really out of control. Which means that Hiccup is in control and all his "No! Stop! We need her to like us! Thanks for nothing, you useless reptile!" are just cover for a fairly masterful bit of psychological manipulation. By having Toothless "go crazy" Hiccup forces Astrid to cling to him as her own stable point during the chaos of the flight. Then, after squeezing the adrenaline into her system, Hiccup whipsaws the mood of the flight from terror to peace and beauty, letting Astrid feel the wonder of dragon-flight the way he feels it and thus persuading her not to betray him. It's a masterful piece of seduction all the more for not being sexual in nature.

Eh Toothless is capable of SOME flight on his own. Just not for very long and not very gracefully (he manages some flight when he saves Hiccup from the monstrous nightmare. That particular arena is on a little part of the island Toothless wouldn't have been able to just run to). And his little joyride where he's loving with Astrid is anything but graceful. I can't read that scene as Hiccup doing that intentionally cause I don't think Hiccup would've been that manipulative. Toothless just wants to gently caress with Astrid for a little bit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I'm guessing that either Hiccup's dad, Hiccup's mom or Astrid is gonna die.

Irisi posted:

Am kind of sad they don't seem to be heading down this route with the sequel (as far as I can tell from the trailer). Vikings on dragonback versus the might of the Byzantium Empire would have been a hell of an entertaining movie, though probably a lot less kid-friendly than Dreamworks is aiming for.

I dunno, in the trailer it looked like the dragons and vikings were going up against a huge army led by that dreadlock'd fellow

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Maleficent... DOESN'T turn into a dragon? What? :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

In Atlantis Milo cuts Rourke's arm with the piece of glass that has Kida's crystal energies in it. It turns him to crystal and kills him.
Hercules punches Hades into the river of souls, though I guess it's shown that he dies.
Wreck-it Ralph deliberately gets the volcano beacon going to kill King Candy/Turbo.
Mulan shoots fireworks into Shan Yu blowing him up
Jim pushes Scroop into the flag that gets cut and he goes flying off into space in Treasure Planet.

K. Waste posted:

You have the climax of The Little Mermaid.

The Rescuers is also a wonderful and atmospheric film. Me and my friends were watching it after we had just gotten done with the tremendously mediocre The Great Mouse Detective, and it instantly stood out as so stylish and unique.

Oh HELL no, The Great Mouse Detective is awesome :colbert:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 9, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

raditts posted:

I can't remember how the main bad guy dies in Oliver and Company, but I think his dogs die from deliberate action? I just remember them bouncing down an electrified rail and thinking what an unusually violent death that was for them.

Yeah the dogs get thrown off the car into the electrified train tracks and go bouncing down the tracks. The main bad guy gets hit by an oncoming train in his car

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Timon and Pumbaa show as so funny. Up there with Angry Beavers back in the day

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man I'm not gonna lie. That stupidass bit with the penguin eating the cheeto while the wolf is trying to talk to him made me cry laugh.

If this movie had come out years ago I'd be so hating on it (and seeing as how this movie has been announced for so long I rolled my eyes at the news of this initially). But I have more faith in Dreamworks than I've ever had nowadays. And I thought Madgascar 3 was great, and the penguins were the funniest part of all 3 movies. So I'm totally down for this movie already.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

The Lilo and Stitch cartoon always freaks me and my wife out. There's something very wrong/unnatural about that kid.

Stitch is slightly off model and it's just enough that it bothers me to even look at him. I understand Chris Sanders has a pretty unique style, but ugh the TV show is loving butt ugly.

Stitch has a Glitch looks great though. You just have ignore Dakota Fanning going a little overboard with her acting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm assuming that Home "trailer" isn't really an indication of what the movie is gonna be like, beyond who the characters are. I imagine it's kind of like the Pixar shorts where it doesn't always give a good idea of how the movie is gonna go. Case in point is Ratatouille. The first teaser you get in NO WAY indicates it's about a rat that wants to be a chef (and eventually becomes one). It makes it out to be rat that wants better food than trash and the whole thing might be a tome and jerry-esque thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

K. Waste posted:

Speaking of DreamWorks, let's get some weigh in on Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ALMl1nTPdA

So I didn't click this link earlier, and didn't realize it wasn't the teaser released a while ago and is instead a full on trailer. The teaser/animated short sure painted the movie out to be pretty loving different than what the trailer showed. I wish the aliens had better designs though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

By the way am I the only one surprised that Kowalski ISN'T voiced by Diedrich Bader? It's a voice actor named Jeff Bennett but it sure sounds a LOT like Diedrich Bader

edit: Looking it up on youtube, he has a totally different voice on the TV show? :confused: Or maybe I have the wrong penguin name. One of the penguins sounds like Diedrich Bader is what I'm saying

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Genesis version is the better version

Phylodox posted:

Why would he have had to go back in time? Who's to say The Lion King doesn't already take place in antiquity?

Um well the Timon and Pumba TV show takes place in present day unless you're claiming Timon, Pumba and the Hyenas have immortality which is just ludicrous and furthermore

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

Ayyyy, so now there's a trailer for the new spongebob movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3I4C7i3pi8

The 3d stuff looks p. good but I can't help but feel like the 2d stuff is just kinda...flat. Also they have bLatantLy done the "spongebob on land" thing on multiple occasions so it feels like treading old ground.

The 2D stuff does feel a little flat, especially compared to the first movie. On the other hand, it doesn't look like too much of the movie takes place under water so I imagine they just didn't want to bother putting as much effort into the hand drawn stuff.

The CG stuff looks great though. It looks absolutely goofy and silly so I'm interested in seeing it for all the ridiculous looking super hero stuff. It doesn't look bad. I feel like this movie is a bit late though. I haven't watched Spongebob in years at this point. The show kind of peaked at the first movie, and it seemed to go downhill after. The marching band episode to this day is still one of the funniest episodes of any TV show I've ever watched.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

redcheval posted:

but he (Stephen Hillenburg) came back for this.

I actually didn't know that. That makes me more excited for the movie then!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man whatever. We're Back! is awesome and the song is awesome. Both times. :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man, I like American Tail, but it's not anywhere near THAT good. The animation is... fine, but it has the weird Don Bluth issues that plague all of his stuff. And if the "one of the most tear-inducing songs in children films history" song is Somewhere Out There, then I suppose the tear-inducing part is the high pitched screeching the main character does trying to hit the high notes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Two exceedingly average Disney movies?

Oh drat shots fired pew pew pew pew take that disney

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I just got finished watching I Know That Voice. What a fun little documentary. I even hesitate to say documentary, because what it really is, is John DiMaggio interviewing all of his peers in the voice acting industry cause he loves them all so much :3:

I suppose it's nothing TOO crazy insightful, but it is a lot of fun to hear all these voice actors basically say why they love doing what they do so much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Robin Williams as Wax Teddy Roosevelt was actually really inspired casting, and if those otherwise-mediocre films got any kids interested in museums OR Robin Williams, they were worth it.

I'll defend both of those movies to death cause they are very fun and remind me of Jumanji. And him admiring Sacajawea from was very "awww" if you don't agree, you're a jerk!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Sweatbox 9 hour director's cut

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

K. Waste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME4yxyGZNS4

Test footage for an un-produced version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

CG interacts with real life all the time in movies now, but there's just something about a hand drawn character interacting with a real life person that still feels like magic to me. Even the pencil tests in this video are cool, and I'm still mesmerized by Roger Rabbit to this day even though I know how they did everything.

There's a part in Enchanted where the evil queen reaches from her toon world into the real world and grabs an apple in a boiling pot, and then messes with it. She then lets it go and it floats from her toon world back up to the pot back into the real world and it's SO COOL. That's why I was disappointed when I found out Enchanted wasn't about an animated princess in live action new york (luckily the movie turned out to be amazing anyway) but man I'd really like another Roger Rabbit/Space Jam/Back in Action. It's just really not the same with CG characters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is that an queued up April Fools post that got accidentally posted very early or what

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Level Slide posted:

I finally watched Kung-Fu Panda 2 a few days ago. I love how Lord Shen essentially fell on his rear end when he tried being all theatrical with Po. And the same when Po tried being badass at the canal.

"GREETINGS PANDA! WE MEET AT LA-"
"Hey how ya doin"
"H... Hey..."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This legit owns

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sony Pictures Animation giving Dreamworks and Pixar a run for their money animation-wise IMO. Goddamn.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hungry Bit posted:

Are those still in movies? :aaa:

To be totally fair to the movie, the entire point of the hotel is a place for Monsters to get away and relax/have a good time, and it just happens to come around during the daughter's birthday. So a dance party actually kind of makes sense this time.

What's horrible is the singing. And even then it's like okay I get it, Selena Gomez, Ceelo Green, Andy Samberg... fine, they are singing, it's bad but whatever.

But then Dracula, thus Adam Sandler, starts rapping. And oh god. Oh yeah then he sings with an autotuned voice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Part of me is thinking had he not died people probably would have been petitioning for Robin Williams to have done the voice.

Um I think you're forgetting about a little superstar named Dave Coulier :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

New trailer for Big Hero 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IdMPpKMdcc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

a homosexual relationship ), it did have something else that might make a few heads spin: an instance of transvestitism, by the villain no less. What's most interesting about it is how completely acceptable it is to everyone involved: to the villain, it's just another mask he uses it get what he wants (which thematically ties in to the point of the film that it's not your clothes or societal trappings that determine who you really are) and although some humor is made when the truth comes out, it's not actually treated by the film or anyone in it as shameful in any way. That's pretty awesome, I think.

I've actually seen a lot of people view that as transphobic. Not a celebration of trans people. I haven't seen it so I actually have no idea, but what I've read, people took away the complete opposite of what you did.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Remember when you watched "9" and were loving baffled that certain things didn't happen, because they were the obvious way for the movie to go, and instead something less predictable but worse happened?

I liked 9 a lot, and the animation was stellar. But man did that movie need even just like an extra 30 minutes to pad out the story some more. Everything happened way too quick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Or there's the feminizing of Tweety, though he was already shown to have an androgyny complex and depended on his mother (caretaker). Porky Pig didn't seem to show any traits, but often was paired with Daffy Duck and sharing a bed together. In one, Tick Tock Tuckered, Daffy wakes up to find the bedsheets damp near Porky and gives the audience a disgusted look. Bed wetting or something else?

Tweety and Nermal were breaking down gender walls before it was cool!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I just watched the Peabody and Sherman movie, and they really could have done without the thing where the child services lady was trying to take Sherman away.

They had enough to go on as a movie already. The entire story with Sherman, Penny and Peabody's time travel shenanigans and then them having to fix the screw up in time they made was more than enough story for the movie. The entire father/son adoption story was fine on its own too, and basically the resolutions of both of those stories had nothing to do with the child services lady. It was like a weird extra conflict that had no real barring on the movie. It also resulted in that really weird and bad (even for a kid's movie) "I'm a dog!" scene.

It's annoying cause otherwise the movie was pretty alright but it had this really bad third story attached to it. Like you could literally take out any scene involve the the woman wanting to take Sherman away and nothing in the movie would change.

edit: Oh I also saw Boxtrolls and that movie was awesome as gently caress and the animation is ridiculous and yeah the "transphobic" or whatever complaints I saw were pretty unfounded besides a single throwaway joke at the end I guess

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 30, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

quote:

he stumbles upon a secret plot by the CEO of Puppy Co

I'm so down for whatever the gently caress this movie is

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I kind of like their designs. I didn't understand how they were going to translate them into a movie considering they didn't have wings but they just straight up gave them actual bodies based around their game designs.

I don't understand why Smosh of all people on youtube are providing voices though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well I just mean there are tons of youtubers I would say are actually legit good voice actors that I think deserve a real shot in animation.

Also it appears the Tetris Movie is going to be made by the dudes behind Foodfight. Get hyped! :woop:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So this Simpsons did a Treehouse of Horror episode where at the end, all these different animated versions of the simpsons show up. It's fun seeing all the different styles together, but it took me a few viewings to notice something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGVaN8FPYw

That's totally John Ratzenberger voicing homer when the CG Simpsons comes in isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Sweatbox is a nice inside look into how The Emperor's New Groove came to be. It's not hard to find anymore either! For a documentary that seemed like it wants to be about Sting it sure focuses a lot on every part of the movie.

Also Waking Sleeping Beauty is pretty good

• Locked thread