Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

So all this talk has made me check out "Actual", any reason it's not a good YNAB4 replacement yet? I don't really need the reporting these days (Tho I have always liked it), so if that's the only thing stopping anyone from switching, I think I might make this a project soon.

They stopped development on it like 2 years ago I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

doingitwrong posted:

They stopped development on it like 2 years ago I thought.

And released the source. The version we are talking about is a self hosted continuation from that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just FYI, you can get one year of Quicken Simplifi for free by doing an 'import from Mint'. If you don't want to import your entire Mint history all you have to do is add a single transaction in Mint (eg, charge $420.69 on 4/20/69 to a manual account) and export that transaction as a csv to get the formatting, then import into Simplifi.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just FYI, you can get one year of Quicken Simplifi for free by doing an 'import from Mint'. If you don't want to import your entire Mint history all you have to do is add a single transaction in Mint (eg, charge $420.69 on 4/20/69 to a manual account) and export that transaction as a csv to get the formatting, then import into Simplifi.

I hear Simplifi is good, just it’s not available in Canada.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I used YNAB4 for a couple years around 2013-2015 before falling off the wagon. Then they went to the web only subscription model and I figured I wasn't interested. I tried out some alternatives and they never fit.

But I've been using the trial version again for the last week and it's honestly still the smoothest and most convenient tool for my needs. So I think I'm just gonna pay for it going forward, and not get hung up on whatever my earlier objections were.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

rollick posted:

I used YNAB4 for a couple years around 2013-2015 before falling off the wagon. Then they went to the web only subscription model and I figured I wasn't interested. I tried out some alternatives and they never fit.

But I've been using the trial version again for the last week and it's honestly still the smoothest and most convenient tool for my needs. So I think I'm just gonna pay for it going forward, and not get hung up on whatever my earlier objections were.

this is where i landed even if i am still irritated that the competition can't get their act together, especially once you add in all of the features from the toolkit for ynab team

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, it's kind of annoying that the web version is still somewhat less featured than old YNAB4, yet costs a subscription, and for one, none of the myriad projects that spawned from that change over really went anywhere, and for another, the competition also still sucks.

Even that Actual Budget project is finally getting somewhere, after it went open source like a year ago, despite also having spawned when nYNAB came up years back and everyone was pissed.

If Lunch Money had envelope budgeting, I'd have switched to that in the past. But then again, I haven't used it enough to get annoyed at its caveats.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, it's kind of annoying that the web version is still somewhat less featured than old YNAB4, yet costs a subscription, and for one, none of the myriad projects that spawned from that change over really went anywhere, and for another, the competition also still sucks.

Even that Actual Budget project is finally getting somewhere, after it went open source like a year ago, despite also having spawned when nYNAB came up years back and everyone was pissed.

If Lunch Money had envelope budgeting, I'd have switched to that in the past. But then again, I haven't used it enough to get annoyed at its caveats.

Sirotan posted:

You can pry YNAB4 from my cold, dead hands.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ooh, dang. I didn't realize I needed to get my things set up somewhere else now that Mint has closed. Looking forward to see what people switch to in this thread. I am not excited to have to pay for something I use very rarely but I like doing an end of the year recap.

edit: okay, moved over to Monarch to see if it's something I can use. argh.

moana fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2023

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

It acts like Mint with a sleeker and hopefully updated UI.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to trial actual quicken without paying first? All I see is a 30 day refund.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Every year in January, I do a "make a fresh start" and archive the previous year's YNAB setup

I guess that feature is just broken now, as the fresh start only pulled over like 1/3 of my account balances, and in one account brought over three transactions from 2022, which ... yknow, wouldn't even be in my 2023 budget

So glad they raised the price to meet the value of the product they provide

e: oh, the balances it brought over aren't even correct. One of my 401k's came over with a balance that would be correct somewhere around March of last year? I have no idea how the gently caress it did any of this. Awesome and cool and a very good app.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 1, 2024

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm still using YNAB4 and will continue to do so until it just no longer works. Their SaaS product has seemingly not gotten any better since the last time I looked at it, so onwards I go using YNAB4 for another year.

Also they launched a new newsletter called "Loose Change", lmao.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm still using YNAB4 and will continue to do so until it just no longer works. Their SaaS product has seemingly not gotten any better since the last time I looked at it, so onwards I go using YNAB4 for another year.

Can you still download ynab4 anywhere and if so, can I just use it in my iPhone? I don’t care about importing.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

nwin posted:

Can you still download ynab4 anywhere and if so, can I just use it in my iPhone? I don’t care about importing.

I think it's gone from their website but it still might be available here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190122064610/https://classic.youneedabudget.com/

And as long as you've downloaded/installed the YNAB4 app on your iPhone at some point before it was deprecated from the App Store, it should still be available.

If you're on a newer Mac, you can run this git repo to download/install it: https://gitlab.com/bradleymiller/Y64/-/tree/master

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

YNAB4 works on Linux with wine/proton, so even if Microsoft decides to completely screw all old software support, you will probably be able to use it forever.
Syncing and the phone apps will probably stop working completely at some point though (the Android one only works with an unofficial patch now and see the above point for iOS)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah I have no idea if phone synching works anymore, I stopped using it years ago due to random issues and just enter all my purchases/etc every few days or so. Not being able to enter purchases/look at my budget on my phone isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

*furiously knocking wood* I still have no issue synching entered transactions through my iPhone YNAB4 app. Every once in a while (maybe once a month?) it’ll require me to re-sync the current cloud budget, but I don’t lose any data.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
YNAB book is on sale for $2. I know nothing about it, but figured I'd share.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y2XSFN?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=f15c5916a98011ee96d40675b876cbfa0INT

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Sockser posted:

Every year in January, I do a "make a fresh start" and archive the previous year's YNAB setup

I guess that feature is just broken now, as the fresh start only pulled over like 1/3 of my account balances, and in one account brought over three transactions from 2022, which ... yknow, wouldn't even be in my 2023 budget

So glad they raised the price to meet the value of the product they provide

e: oh, the balances it brought over aren't even correct. One of my 401k's came over with a balance that would be correct somewhere around March of last year? I have no idea how the gently caress it did any of this. Awesome and cool and a very good app.

How fucky is YNAB when importing balances? It's my first time using automation after years of manual importing transactions, and while it was able to pull in my credit card transactions from the last month, the final amount owed is completely off

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

adnam posted:

How fucky is YNAB when importing balances? It's my first time using automation after years of manual importing transactions, and while it was able to pull in my credit card transactions from the last month, the final amount owed is completely off

It will prob be a little "off" for the first bit. I would just maybe do weekly reconciliations until you trust the data. I use automatic transactions for about 85% of my YNAB usage.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
With Mint shutting down I'm back in the market looking at options. Last time when I was looking at YNAB, what was a deal killer for me was the lack of automated import and classification. I'm not going to be manually typing in purchases, it's just not realistic for me. Hell even if I have to whip up my own OSS based solution with some regex or repurpose an existing ML classification model, I'll probably do that before ever manually curating records.

Does YNAB have anything like that yet? I want to be able to setup envelopes for my different purchases but I don't want to manually enter in every purchase, and doing it in monthly bulk exports defeats the tracking utility for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

YNAB syncs via Plaid and iirc others now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's synched for years now. Some banks take longer to import than others. My wife used to have a CC that would only import once a month and that sucked rear end.

Side note: after a decade of YNABb'ing, and 18 months of getting sick of 4000 Amazon charges confusing me, I did a clean start for the first time. Sucks losing the history, but it's better than reconciling the past 2 years of me being lazy.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's synched for years now. Some banks take longer to import than others. My wife used to have a CC that would only import once a month and that sucked rear end.

Side note: after a decade of YNABb'ing, and 18 months of getting sick of 4000 Amazon charges confusing me, I did a clean start for the first time. Sucks losing the history, but it's better than reconciling the past 2 years of me being lazy.

This is my only pain point in budgeting, especially given the way Amazon arbitrarily splits charges ($C Total Sum=$B Charge 1+$C Charge 2) and isn't accessible except via going deep into Amazon's orders menu :arghfist:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
X-posting from a discussion about iOS automations. When I use ynab, I don't sync with my bank but instead enter transactions manually and then reconcile periodically by downloading exports from my bank. This iOS automation triggers when I tap with apple pay and it helps me stay on top of things. The only annoyance is it defaults fields you don't fill in with the last one you used so it might be worth putting in a category you use most often for example. The main goal here isn't to save work (although it does that) but to remind me to enter the transaction in the first place.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't seem to be able to share automations and the shortcut action is built into the automation but if you want to replicate:

1. go to automation tab under Shortcuts
2. click plus, choose personal automation if it prompts between that and home automation, then choose "Transaction ex. 'When I tap a Wallet Card or Pass'"
3. Choose your card or cards, choose run immediately near the bottom, turn off notify when run as it's obvious when it works
4. tap next and select New Blank Automation and you'll have a new automation with "Receive Transaction as input"
5. Click Add Action, tap apps, select ynab
6. Fill in as you like - here's how I set mine up:

e: if you've never worked with shortcuts you can get a value from the input (eg from apple wallet) by long pressing on a blank field, selecting "Shortcut input", and then short pressing "Shortcut Input" after it fills that into the blank to pick a specific field from the input like Merchant or Amount.

also this only works if your phone is unlocked so it took me a bit to get used to unlocking my phone before doing the double press to start an apple pay tap

e2: automations can call saved shortcuts which i could share... but i can't figure out how to create a shortcut that receives an apple wallet transaction outside of the automation screen so this is basically unshareable outside of giving a step by step like i just did, thanks timb apple

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

That's really cool. Anyone know if there is an android equivalent? Maybe something with tasker?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Started using YNAB, it’s my first budgeting app and I feel like I’m already messing things up. I have a target to pay off a certain amount of CC debt per month. In addition, whenever I use my CC I transfer money from my checking account to pay off whatever I bought. This results in the original CC payment being categorized into whatever category it should go, like hobbies, AND the checking payment is categorized under the monthly CC payment category. This results in basically money getting taken out twice of my “ready to assign” money. This means I can’t trust any of the numbers I see… so what’s the point of this app if it can’t handle this?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You must be doing something wrong, if you are transfering money from checkibg to the cc it should not be on the budget

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I might be! The way I see it, a CC transaction has three parts represented in YNAB:

- The initial CC charge (let’s say -100)
- The payment from checking (-100)
- The checking payment going into the CC account (+100)

I think my confusion comes from the idea that every transaction needs to be put into a category. The initial CC charge can go into whatever category it’s actually for (Hobbies,Groceries,etc.) . But where should the other two go? The closest I have is the CC Payment category, but that’s supposed to be for monthly payments to the debt, not for transactions like this. And then, if I do put the later two transactions into the CC Payment category, then the app asks me to put 100 more into the category I put the initial payment into. But that makes no sense because the money to cover that payment is already used and done, I don’t need to cover it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The latter two should not have a category, because they are transactions between accounts.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When I try to do that, I get this big yellow alert that says "UNCATEGORIZED TRANSACTIONS", and points to them. Which indicates to me that I'm doing something wrong?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The initial CC charge can go into whatever category it’s actually for (Hobbies,Groceries,etc.)
Correct. You budget $100 for candles and when you buy candles with your credit card, you categorize it as candles. That's all you have to do and nothing more.

- The payment from checking (-100)
When you added your credit card account YNAB will have created a category for that credit card payment. When you make that transaction for candles, YNAB will automatically move money from candles to the credit card payment. If you want to pay extra money towards the credit card, like if you had existing debt on it, then you budget money directly to that credit card payment category.

- The checking payment going into the CC account (+100)
When you make a payment there is a record payment button.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

When you make a payment from your checking to your credit card, it should look something like this:

I've noticed if I let this transaction auto-import, I have to manually change it to a transfer.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

When you added your credit card account YNAB will have created a category for that credit card payment. When you make that transaction for candles, YNAB will automatically move money from candles to the credit card payment. If you want to pay extra money towards the credit card, like if you had existing debt on it, then you budget money directly to that credit card payment category.

So from my experience, what I feel like what happens is that I put the initial CC transaction in candles, then I log the checking payment to CC into the CC Payment category. It then asks me to fund the CC Payment category… but I’ve also funded the candles category. I’m now funding the same $100 transaction twice, resulting in YNAB’s perception of my available balance being off. Am I seeing this wrong?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
In this case I would assign $100 to "candles" and then log a $100 debit in the CC account, which I select the candles category for. If I then pay the credit card off, I log a $100 transfer from checking to the credit card. So basically the $100 is deducted from the candles category via the credit card purchase, then $100 is transferred from checking to the credit card for the credit card payment.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

So from my experience, what I feel like what happens is that I put the initial CC transaction in candles, then I log the checking payment to CC into the CC Payment category. It then asks me to fund the CC Payment category… but I’ve also funded the candles category. I’m now funding the same $100 transaction twice, resulting in YNAB’s perception of my available balance being off. Am I seeing this wrong?

The budget screen can be a bit confusing when it comes to debt. You only need to assign money to a credit card under payments if you are paying off pre-existing debt that's not accounted for by ynab budgeting eg your opening balance in your first month. When you assign money to it you are increasing the amount of money owed, which then shows up under "available" but means "available for payment" not "available for spending" which (understandably) confuses the hell out of people.

If you are paying of a larget CC debt the available for payment can be reduced into payments over a number of months but I haven't explored that or know how it works.

Many people just create a "credit card" account using the "chequing" type and run it into the negatives. It just means your budget screen doesn't show your debts, you only see them in your account listing on the left side of the screen. Less confusing for many people but I prefer seeing the debt on my budget screen so I just got used to the weirdness with cc account types.

An aside: CC accounts also get annoying if you have a rewards card that gives you cash back. If you do this I recommend you categorize the cash backs as a refund to a normal budget category (I have one for general household spending I use) because trying to treat it as income and then fixing the CC balance via budget assignments gets frustrating fast.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So from my experience, what I feel like what happens is that I put the initial CC transaction in candles,
You can stop right here. There’s nothing more you need to do.

quote:

then I log the checking payment to CC into the CC Payment category.
YNAB does this automatically (without letting you know) when you do the first part. When you manually do it you’re double counting.

Budget $100 to candles. Buy $60 worth of candles recorded on the cc. YNAB will now reflect that you have $40 left for candles and $60 allocated to pay the new debt you just created.

If you now try to manually move $60 from candles to credit card then you end up with -$20 in candles and $120 set aside for the credit card.

Just record the transaction at point of sale and again when you pay the bill by recording a payment.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 21, 2024

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for all the help everyone! I feel dumb, because there's still something I'm not getting here. Take this as an example...

I have a small savings account (not my actual savings, this was one with a very low APY that pretty much just came with my checking account). I decide to make a CC Payment, not attached to anything specific, just a payment against outstanding debt, of $20. I go to the +20 transaction on my CC Credit, and file it under the CC Payment category. This then correctly identifies the -20 on the savings account as the "Sending money to the CC" part of the transaction, which is good. But now in my CC Payment category, it is asking me to cover the -$20 by moving some kind of money to it -- this is part I don't get. I should not have to move any money to cover this, the money went from Savings to the CC so it should balance out, right? I don't see why I would need to pull money from my checking to "pay" for a movement of money that is already covered.

Apologies if this example is wildly different than the one before, but it speaks to my main problem -- whenever I try to log a CC Payment, I wind up with YNAB seemingly asking my to cover the payment again when I feel like the transaction history should prove out that I already did by moving money into the CC in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
tl;dr, but the regular answer to anyone being bamboozled by all this is to just make a regular account for credit card stuff. Record your bills onto that account like normal, and transfer money from whatever account you pay it off with when you actually do.