Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Financier is adaquate but there are no reports or scheduled/reoccuring transactions. It's only $12 a year (which lets you save your budget online and sync it), otherwise it's just in the browser cache).

there's also a mobile site now (https://app.fmobile.io/), which you need the paid plan to really make use of.

Also it'll probably never be updated. It's feature complete enough for the dev's personal use and he's basically said he's done workin on it, so the cost pretty much just cover the server costs and maybe a smidge extra.

It's probably not goin anywhere but it's probably not going to get any new updates either.

quote:

There has been a lot discussion on this, mostly in the forums. Here is a summary:

The developer created Financier for himself and released it to us as an alternative to nYNAB etc. For him, it has the features he needs.

The front end is open sourced so anyone can develop features for it. The developer may do that but more likely someone else will (@asromzek).

Features that you may be missing from nYNAB (Some workarounds/external options exist):

Recurring Transactions - More complicated that meets the eye but most likely to developed

Robust reporting - also likely to be developed and workarounds exist by exporting data and utilizing external apps (Excel, Google Sheet, Google Data Studio)

Auto import of transactions - expensive. Very unlikely.

Import of financial files - possible though I haven't heard of anything in the works

Goals - possible though I haven't heard of anything in the works

yNAB Colour Scheme - Stylish: (https://userstyles.org/styles/155955/financier-nynabish)

Age of Money - NEVER!

Personally, I tried nYNAB a few times and hated it. I stuck with YNAB4 in parallel with Financier but made the transition, full time, to Financier almost 2 years ago. Of the features missing, Recurring Transactions would help me the most though I don't really think about it anymore.

Financier has been incredibly stable and has everything I need to monitor my finances as is. I don't see myself go anywhere else in the future. Even the wife is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the mobile site will cache offline and sync when you're back online, I'm pretty sure. just bookmark it on your home screen

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'll probably jump to Budgetwise once they add in the stuff in this upcoming update. I've been using Financier for over two years now and I miss having reports.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
back when I wasn't paid twice a month I just budgeted based on two paychecks a month and then the three paycheck months were a bonus

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still haven't been able to finagle my financier export to get it into budgetwise, its driving me nuts. I thought i had it last time but it like broke the importer completely and i never even got an email.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Financier for free is exactly the same as paid, except there's no online syncing, it's all saved locally and if you clear your cache your data is gone. It's also just 12 bucks a year and probably isn't going to get any more updates unless someone takes initiative to dig into the open-sourced frontend.

Financier should work locally as long as it's all in cache.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
financier is adaquate, it doesn't have bank sync or scheduled transactions and the reports are lackluster. everything else is as good as ynab. I'll keep using it cause it's cheap

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
for me it was extra student loan payment

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Budgetwise keeps improving and while not automatic 99 for lifetime is not a bad deal or $4/Month.

is it? last time I checked they hadn't updated in months and were bogged down in some major rewrite of their import system.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have been manually inputting my transactions since 2012 and I don't intend to stop now. I Will Never Use Autoimport.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
don't gotta log your partner's expenses if you don't have a partner

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still use financier.io, which is 12 bucks a year but probably won't ever be updated again because it hasn't been in quite some time. it's fine, I haven't bothered looking for anything else for a while.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I want to run a docker instance of Actual now that it's open source and free but I currently don't have any way of importing all my data from Financier and I don't really want to start over and lose 10 years of budgeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

Financier lets you export everything as csv files, and you should be able to import the transactions into Actual with that. I don't think you can import the budget, but I'm not really sure if importing past budgets would even be all that useful?

problem is currently you can't include categories in a csv import and I'd rather not recategorize like 7000 entries in my register