Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hopefully this makes it into the OP of next year's thread: American Sharia. A bad comedy (is there anything more unwatchable?) featuring a Muslim guy doing his best Chris Tucker impression.

It's also transparently meant to be set in LA but I'm like 90% certain it was shot in Albuquerque based on some of the shots in the trailer.

edit 2: IMDB says it was shot in and takes place in Detroit? What?

It looks like it was shot and takes place in a strip-mall.

And it's really close to just being the "Black & Tan" movie from Clone High.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alan Smithee posted:

Dearborn has hella Muslims and Detroit is cheap because the American dream died there and now they are paying filmmakers to be their friends

Also we're giving out a ton of tax breaks because omg Hollywood please come and spend all your money here we really need it. :( (But then we also used it all up on Batman vs Superman and so there wasn't any money left when Vince Gilligan wanted to film his new show Battle Creek in uh...Battle Creek.)

Lost River was also shot in Detroit, which you probably already guessed from watching the trailer.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

LesterGroans posted:

It looks like it was shot and takes place in a strip-mall.

And it's really close to just being the "Black & Tan" movie from Clone High.
Saaaaay whaaaaaaaaaat?!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sleeveless posted:

To be fair this has as much to do with the failure of the Nielsen ratings system as anything else.

No, it doesn't. Outside of rare calculation fuckups, the Neilsen ratings are very good at what they get paid to do, which is calculate the number of eyeballs watching a television program (on a television) as it airs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sleeveless posted:

To be fair this has as much to do with the failure of the Nielsen ratings system as anything else.

Never underestimate the amount of people that will religiously watch absolute poo poo television.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I know people who were born and raised in large cities who, nonetheless, proclaim themselves "country" and wear riding boots, Stetsons, ranching shirts, and camo. It's complete bullshit. There's no moral superiority to living rural, suburban, or just regular urban. We're all poo poo.

Like, I also have no real identity beyond my own day-to-day actions as a result of living in a government city of a million people, but I just embrace the entropic suffering of this existance and consume for emotional sustenance my own apathy and rage in a hideous cycle while obsessing over the women I work with and imagining the hate-filled sex we could should be having. I don't talk with an affected drawl and plaster "Thank God I'm a Country Boy!" stickers on my car, because that's just dumb.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know people who were born and raised in large cities who, nonetheless, proclaim themselves "country" and wear riding boots, Stetsons, ranching shirts, and camo. It's complete bullshit. There's no moral superiority to living rural, suburban, or just regular urban. We're all poo poo.

Like, I also have no real identity beyond my own day-to-day actions as a result of living in a government city of a million people, but I just embrace the entropic suffering of this existance and consume for emotional sustenance my own apathy and rage in a hideous cycle while obsessing over the women I work with and imagining the hate-filled sex we could should be having. I don't talk with an affected drawl and plaster "Thank God I'm a Country Boy!" stickers on my car, because that's just dumb.

what the hell's going on in this post

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Where did this come from?

If you don't believe those from rural areas are morally superior, why does it bother you so much that city folk try to emulate them?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Calm down, y'all

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

When I read this out loud to myself how much passion am I suppose to use?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pretend the voice you hear reading the post is The God Warrior.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm from a big city in a really cowboy state, am I allowed to say yall

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am very confused right now y'all

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

This city is afraid of me. I have seen its face, y'all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Pretend the voice you hear reading the post is The God Ultimate Warrior.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This city was and always will be a cattle town. The modern cattle drive is done by the bus drivers instead of cowboys now, and the cows are office workers slaving in their cubicles waiting to be slaughter.

Its just a little bit harder to tell the good guys from the bad now, because there ain't no white cowboy hats or black cowboy hats. No, because ya see all these fedoras only come in black.

Yee har

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I understood this clearly and can only assume the rest who are confused aren't nearly as observant as they think they are

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol as if you could fit a bumper sticker on that lil smart car, city slicker.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

wrong thread!

Yaws fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 1, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JohnSherman posted:

No, it doesn't. Outside of rare calculation fuckups, the Neilsen ratings are very good at what they get paid to do, which is calculate the number of eyeballs watching a television program (on a television) as it airs.

Nielsen isn't a measurement of who watches TV, it's a measurement of who watches broadcast TV live and is willing to fill out an exhaustively detailed pen-and-paper TV journal for every program they watch. Nielsen themselves have admitted that it's inaccurate, which is why they're starting to include DVRs and Twitter info in their ratings and even then advertisers and networks are starting to ignore them in favor of other metrics.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Nielsen isn't a measurement of who watches TV, it's a measurement of who watches broadcast TV live and is willing to fill out an exhaustively detailed pen-and-paper TV journal for every program they watch. Nielsen themselves have admitted that it's inaccurate, which is why they're starting to include DVRs and Twitter info in their ratings and even then advertisers and networks are starting to ignore them in favor of other metrics.

No, the journals are never used for actual ratings collections. Nielsen uses boxes hooked up to the tv for that.

Here's the thing, advertisers, you know, the people for whom ratings matter. don't give a poo poo about the Twitter following of a show. All they care about is how many eyeballs are watching their ad during the original broadcast of a show. For that, the Nielsens metric works great.

I always love the people who think a decades old organization on which tens of billions of dollars is staked is incompetent because someone can watch tv on their laptop.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just saw a preview for an interesting looking movie about an ai woman robot and a man that lives with her. Looks like a neat thriller, but previews can be deceptive. Forgot the title though, but it was before I saw Fury, if that helps. (It was good too)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

effectual posted:

Just saw a preview for an interesting looking movie about an ai woman robot and a man that lives with her. Looks like a neat thriller, but previews can be deceptive. Forgot the title though, but it was before I saw Fury, if that helps. (It was good too)

Ex Machina.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JohnSherman posted:

No, the journals are never used for actual ratings collections. Nielsen uses boxes hooked up to the tv for that.

Here's the thing, advertisers, you know, the people for whom ratings matter. don't give a poo poo about the Twitter following of a show. All they care about is how many eyeballs are watching their ad during the original broadcast of a show. For that, the Nielsens metric works great.

I always love the people who think a decades old organization on which tens of billions of dollars is staked is incompetent because someone can watch tv on their laptop.

They tend to track Twitter activity, mentions of the show, etc. during the original broadcast, not how many people are following the official show twitter or the actors or whatever. Im sure for certain demographics thats at least as good a metric as anything else and I'm sure its not the only method theyre using either. Presumably if youre tweeting show when it airs on network TV you're not pirating it the day after/streaming it on Hulu, and therefore your eyeballs are also on their ads.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JohnSherman posted:

I always love the people who think a decades old organization on which tens of billions of dollars is staked is incompetent

You could say the same thing about the MPAA and literally every major movie studio in existence but it doesn't stop this thread from existing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JohnSherman posted:

I don't see what's the issue considering that are centuries old organizations on which trillions of dollars are staked and are also incompetent.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's from Alex Garland who wrote 28 Days Later and Dredd so I have high hopes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corek posted:

It's from Alex Garland who wrote 28 Days Later and Dredd so I have high hopes.

Why'd you leave out Sunshine?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Travis343 posted:

They tend to track Twitter activity, mentions of the show, etc. during the original broadcast, not how many people are following the official show twitter or the actors or whatever. Im sure for certain demographics thats at least as good a metric as anything else and I'm sure its not the only method theyre using either. Presumably if youre tweeting show when it airs on network TV you're not pirating it the day after/streaming it on Hulu, and therefore your eyeballs are also on their ads.

Yeah, they've been doing that for the past two years or so, especially since people on Twitter are usually young people with lots of spending money, aka who advertisers want to reach. The problem is not everything that is huge on social media is as huge in real life, and there isn't a real way to turn social media mentions into money, despite the awkward attempts from companies the past two years. Media companies want to factor the amount of mentions into the cost of commercials, but then again are people even paying attention to commercials (much less the show) if they're blabbing on Twitter every three seconds? Also stars with large followings can use that as an asset and factor in tweets as promotional material (hence that Sony email leak where they were upset that Kevin Hart wanted money to tweet about a film)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why'd you leave out Sunshine?

Never seen it, and never heard about it anywhere.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Corek posted:

Never seen it, and never heard about it anywhere.

I've heard it's very good, except for the end.

And as such haven't bothered to watch it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you go into Sunshine expecting it to fall apart and become a different movie in the latter half, it's a pretty good movie.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't see what's the issue considering that are centuries old organizations on which trillions of dollars are staked and are also incompetent.

You can certainly claim they are, but in none of these discussions has anyone managed to come up with a more biting criticism of the Nielsens than "I watch all my shows on my laptop, which means ratings are outdated."

Baronash fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 1, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JohnSherman posted:

You can certainly claim they are, but in none of these discussions has anyone managed to come up with a more biting criticism of the Nielsens than "I watch all my shows on my laptop, which means ratings are outdated."

The only people who are Nielsen families are those willing to put the boxes in their homes, and that skews the data because it's no longer a true random sampling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
As someone who called it chav James Bond I shamefully kinda want to watch Kingsmen even though it's clearly going to be bad. It's still chav James Bond and remind me of Stormbreaker which I saw on an airplane and made me wonder if Brits had gone from complaining how much better their stuff is than America's to actually trying to emulate its trash

axleblaze posted:

If you go into Sunshine expecting it to fall apart and become a different movie in the latter half, it's a pretty good movie.

Sunshine is overrated as gently caress. Yeah I said it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh god I have been waiting to kill this thread FOREVER.

Try not to poo poo up the new one too bad, okay, guys?

• Locked thread