Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Crowned posted:

Or Deep Blue Sea

Well, that shark ruined the day instead of saving it. Though it did save the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Or Deep Blue Sea

The greatest focus group influenced re-write of all time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

There's been reports from pre-screenings of Aaronfsky's film that the third act goes all Sunshine: Noah begins to feel that none of humanity should be spared, including himself, and attempts to kill off the survivors on the Ark.

That honestly sounds amazing. Just because it was dumb in one movie doesn't mean it can't work in another context with another story and another director.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

re: Ride a long.

I'm sorry, I still don't see the appeal of Kevin Hart.

His stand up doesn't have anything that's either a.) relate-able, b.) has an element of truth to it, c.) funny.

All it is, is him making funny faces, with funny voices, and discussing his own personal childhood. Not in the Eddie Murphy, "YOU EVER HAVE A MOM THAT MAKE YOU A HAMBURGER"-type way, but to him, and him specifically.

"Grudge Match" I think could have been an appealing movie if they had put anyone else in that cast for example. Bull Durham V. Rocky Balboa intrigues me like all hell, but drat if they didn't jar-jar binks it up by casting him in that movie.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 2, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm sorry, I still don't see the appeal of Kevin Hart.

I think I started watching one of his specials once. It was kind of middle-of-the-road stand-up stuff up until he said something like, "Look, I got no problem with gay people but no son of mine is gonna be gay? Okay? Alright? I'm just sayin', sleep with whoever you want, but my son's gonna want the pussy!" I shut it off after that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HorseRenoir posted:

Same here. Everyone in the theater was dead silent and engaged, and then everyone laughed the trailer off when they found out it was for Godzilla. I blame the cheesy rubber-suit Toho films more than I do the Emmerich remake.

I don't think this should surprise anyone. If you tell the average, non-nerdy person "there's going to be a new Godzilla movie!" they're probably going to not even think of the original Godzilla, its sequels, or the Matthew Broderick shitfest. They're going to think of the hundreds of Godzilla references and parodies in popular culture that have mocked it, and laugh.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Phylodox posted:

I think I started watching one of his specials once. It was kind of middle-of-the-road stand-up stuff up until he said something like, "Look, I got no problem with gay people but no son of mine is gonna be gay? Okay? Alright? I'm just sayin', sleep with whoever you want, but my son's gonna want the pussy!" I shut it off after that.

Didn't that 30 Rock guy say the same thing in his stand up?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Phylodox posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggAjqk2Bc3M

The bit in question?

I saw once, someone called him the "Black Dane Cook". Kind of sums it up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FuzzySkinner posted:

The bit in question?

Yeah, that exact one. I love the part where he implies that being a heterosexual male automatically implies you want your son to be one, too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Didn't that 30 Rock guy say the same thing in his stand up?

No, he said if his son was gay he'd have to kill him.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

greatn posted:

Thanks for the rectification. I'd hate to mischaracterize the man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Thanks for the rectification. I'd hate to mischaracterize the man.

He said it in a funny voice though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

greatn posted:

would he have to take him out behind the middle school to kill him?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Young Freud posted:

There's been reports from pre-screenings of Aaronfsky's film that the third act goes all Sunshine: Noah begins to feel that none of humanity should be spared, including himself, and attempts to kill off the survivors on the Ark.

The article implies that the studio is having a tough time figuring out how to cut the film so they have a functional third act without that. If you were planning a standard Biblical epic from the beginning then this wouldn't be a problem because you'd make the flood the climax of the film.

I don't know if Noah would be good, but it would have been interesting. I was going to add that people would be talking about the film for years, but as it is I think that's going to happen anyways.

No matter what happens with this film, it probably won't be as disastrous as the 1928 Noah's Ark. It killed three extras during the deluge scene. Infamously, a crewmember asked director Michael Curtiz before shooting the scene how the extras would avoid the thousands of gallons of water being dumped toward them and he said, "They'll have to take their chances."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Young Freud posted:

This is just crazy enough to work :suspense:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phylodox posted:

I really miss Dave Chappelle whenever I see these Comedy Central specials

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda sad that all I can think when hearing about these homophobic jokes is "well, at least we've still progressed since the days of Eddie Murphy".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

It's kinda sad that all I can think when hearing about these homophobic jokes is "well, at least we've still progressed since the days of Eddie Murphy".

So, I'm guessing we can expect Kevin Hart to be picking up T-girl prostitutes in about a decade or so?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Young Freud posted:

So, I'm guessing we can expect Kevin Hart to be picking up T-girl prostitutes in about a decade or so?

Have you seen Hart? They'll be picking him up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barudak posted:

Have you seen Hart? They'll be picking him up.

Heyo!

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Young Freud posted:

I feel like I have read that sort of thing before, Noah going mad during the voyage so they had to restrain him or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FowlTheOwl posted:

I feel like I have read that sort of thing before, Noah going mad during the voyage so they had to restrain him or something.

You might be thinking of the real biblical story where Noah gets poo poo-faced, passes out naked, and two of his three sons cover him up and he gets pissed at the third one for letting him lie there like that. Later, he curses a heretofor undiscussed 4th son and boy the bible is a mess.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I am sincerely hoping that Noah succeeds, because I like Aronofsky and I'm looking forward to seeing batshit Bible-accurate portrayals of angels outside of Japanese video games, but it is in a tight spot. Even if it is a good movie and isn't butchered in the editing room it's probably not going to do well financially because it's a Biblical adaptation that isn't explicitly Christian and religious people who went to early screenings are already decrying it because it's ambiguous and has an environmentalist message.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

The bit in question?

He's not Dane Cook bad. He's similar in that he's not very funny and he tries to make up for it with energy, but he's more willing to let himself be the butt of a joke and that makes him a lot more ingratiating than the likes of Cook. Really, guys like Cook or Dunham or Cable Guy illustrate how much worse we could have it than Kevin Hart.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Isn't someone who's not a super-christian perfect casting for a role in the Left Behind movie? Fundamentalist's criteria for judging films are screwed.
Also when you're describing an actor with such a large body of work, it must be a real challenge to pick the 2 films to identify them by. I think Nicola Menzie showed good judgment in labeling Cage "the "Leaving Las Vegas" and "Ghost Rider" star".
Cage at least has lots of name recognition still, he's done a bit of damage to that through choosing to star in bad movies or being forced to through bad financial decisions. Most of the movie-going public doesn't know that Kirk Cameron lost his mind 20 years ago, they just know he's a failed actor and aren't going to flock to see a movie he's starring in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

smackfu posted:

I wonder at what point in Pompeii the volcano erupts. Probably should be at the end, and then everyone dies, but I feel like that is one movie that is going to play pretty fast and loose with the science.

Didn't the pyro clastic flow that killed everyone within an hour happen when the dome collapsed almost two days after the initial eruption?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

He's not Dane Cook bad. He's similar in that he's not very funny and he tries to make up for it with energy, but he's more willing to let himself be the butt of a joke and that makes him a lot more ingratiating than the likes of Cook. Really, guys like Cook or Dunham or Cable Guy illustrate how much worse we could have it than Kevin Hart.

When you see Kevin Hart in a movie, you could at least see how he could be funny, even if you don't find him funny. No dice with Dane Cook.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
In the bit where Conan, Ice Cube and Kevin Hart get a Lyft car service thing Hart was definitely the 3rd funniest person in the car.

The driver just seemed a bit overwhelmed. Poor comedic timing.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When you see Kevin Hart in a movie, you could at least see how he could be funny, even if you don't find him funny. No dice with Dane Cook.

Yeah. I'm open to enjoying Hart in a movie someday... maybe even in Ride Along.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn't the pyro clastic flow that killed everyone within an hour happen when the dome collapsed almost two days after the initial eruption?

Yeah, there was enough time for Pliny the Elder to assemble a fleet and start an evacuation operation and supposedly there was a relief effort run by Titus Flavius.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, there was enough time for Pliny the Elder to assemble a fleet and start an evacuation operation and supposedly there was a relief effort run by Titus Flavius.

I was actually reading some of Pliny the Elder's writings last night. He didn't write anything about Vesuvius since he didn't survive the rescue attempt (is that spoilers for the upcoming movie?), but his nephew did and Pliny the Younger's account of eruption is worth reading for anyone interested in the topic (obviously not Young Freud since he's already read them).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh, well then, the stuff in the trailer makes a lot more sense then.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

axleblaze posted:

At least Eddie Murphy had the decency to be goddamn hilarious if you chose to ignore his homophobia, which is absolutely a product of the time (doesn't make it right in any way whatsoever, of course).

There's absolutely no excuse for these unfunny bastards.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I was actually reading some of Pliny the Elder's writings last night. He didn't write anything about Vesuvius since he didn't survive the rescue attempt (is that spoilers for the upcoming movie?), but his nephew did and Pliny the Younger's account of eruption is worth reading for anyone interested in the topic (obviously not Young Freud since he's already read them).

Didn't the Discovery Channel once do a TV movie that was half drama based on that and half documentary/science stuff about the explosion? I feel like I remember watching that about ten years or so ago.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

At least Eddie Murphy had the decency to be goddamn hilarious if you chose to ignore his homophobia, which is absolutely a product of the time (doesn't make it right in any way whatsoever, of course).

There's absolutely no excuse for these unfunny bastards.

Absolutely.

He also built himself up quite the resume during that era as well.

SNL bits (Mr. Robinson's neighborhood, etc), 48 Hrs, Trading Places, The Golden Child, and ESPECIALLY "The Beverly Hills Cop" series.

Kevin Hart just doesn't have "it". Where as Eddie, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor and Dave Chappelle all had HILLARIOUS observations from their POV, Hart just continues to go back to the whole "MY MOM DID THIS BACK IN THE DAY"-type of crap.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
But his act isn't anything like that at all. Like not even close.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't the Discovery Channel once do a TV movie that was half drama based on that and half documentary/science stuff about the explosion? I feel like I remember watching that about ten years or so ago.

Pompeii: The Last Day most likely. The only thing I remember about it was a scene where someone washed their clothes in a tub of piss because that was apparently the closest thing they had to detergent in ancient Rome.

Getting back on topic, how's 47 Ronin been doing at the box office so far? Judging by it's metacritic score I'm guessing "not so great."

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Getting back on topic, how's 47 Ronin been doing at the box office so far? Judging by it's metacritic score I'm guessing "not so great."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=47ronin.htm

26 million domestic in a week, reported budget of 175 million. Another 22 overseas but who knows how much of that matters. Overall not so great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=47ronin.htm

26 million domestic in a week, reported budget of 175 million. Another 22 overseas but who knows how much of that matters. Overall not so great.

On the plus side, you'll be able to make the world's easiest Director's Cut out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I think Devil's Due is gonna suck because there's just something loving magically TERRIBLE about movies that involve demonic possession that come out in January. Case in point, 2012's The Devil Inside.

Speaking of "bad movies" and "January", I'd like to throw into the ring that (justifiably) forgotten Texas Chainsaw 3D, a movie where a boring, bland girl realizes that MOB JUSTICE IS BAD and that your mentally damaged, totally ignored, possibly gay serial killer uncle should be allowed to murder people indiscriminately as long as it's done for the good of the family.

• Locked thread