Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mustach posted:

Goddamn, one guy did the same thing for less

One Grandpa's Secret for Saving Money When the Apocalypse Strikes - Ark Builders Hate Him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Strange Matter posted:

Someday I will write my Back to the Future Reboot Script and email it to him and Bryan Cranston, then let the magic happen...

Everyone knows that reboot will star Jaden and Will Smith. He will drive a Tesla to 1985 and the doc played by Bryan Cranston will be astounded the burnt out time circuits require 1.21 Jigabytes of RAM. Jaden will have to perform Smells Like Teen Spirit at the high school dance to make sure will marries Jada Pinkett. In the third one they'll go to 1915 and need the help of the real Tesla.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

greatn posted:

Everyone knows that reboot will star Jaden and Will Smith. He will drive a Tesla to 1985 and the doc played by Bryan Cranston will be astounded the burnt out time circuits require 1.21 Jigabytes of RAM. Jaden will have to perform Smells Like Teen Spirit at the high school dance to make sure will marries Jada Pinkett. In the third one they'll go to 1915 and need the help of the real Tesla.
I was outraged at this post until the last sentence, at which point I am modestly on board.

Also Will Smith would ever deign to lower himself to play George McFly.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Noah should partner with this Noah's Ark, which also is in danger of ending disastrously! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-03/noah-s-ark-risks-collapse-without-bond-buyers-by-february.html

For a second there I thought that was the water park here in Wisconsin. Of course it is the meddling atheists causing problems and not the people in charge siphoning money to their own bank accounts.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Strange Matter posted:

Also Will Smith would ever deign to lower himself to play George McFly.

Yeah, he'd be the coolest George McFly ever, way cooler than anyone would ever expect a total flake to be.

The only benefit would be to throw him back in his pedostache/hightop fade combo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was going to joke that the Ark theme park should just kickstarter it, but they did the bond equivalent of just that. :v:

Young Freud posted:

Ham's blaming it on "atheist disruptions" but we know the real reason, he just didn't pray enough.

Actually, the reason they can't build it is Obamacare.

Letter to investors posted:

In large part because of AiG’s [Answers in Genesis’] strong biblical stand against the Obamacare legislation’s mandated coverage of abortion-causing drugs, AiG pursued a change in the Ark Encounter funding structure that now includes a bond investment opportunity for you to consider.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Noah should partner with this Noah's Ark, which also is in danger of ending disastrously! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-03/noah-s-ark-risks-collapse-without-bond-buyers-by-february.html

Has any of these Ark replica's ever actually been finished? There's one of these things in West Virginia that I pass by every time I visit my relatives there. It's just some billboard on the side of the road saying "Noah's Ark Being Rebuilt Here!" with some metal poles in the shape of a boat. It's got to have been there for at least 20 years by now; I'm not sure why it hasn't been torn down yet.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Coffee And Pie posted:

If anyone right now can come close to Murphy's career, it's probably Donald Glover. He's a talented writer/actor with a few great standup specials, a fantastic run on Community, and a music career that I think will age better than Party All The Time. This is assuming he can successfully make the leap to film, which I think he can.

Man are you trolling me. Glover doesn't have 1% of Murphy's talent or charisma. Peak Eddie Murphy would make you laugh until you were crying and he was so magnetic that he was barely out of his teens when he was the only reason people were watching SNL and starring in hit movie after hit movie to boot. The guy was a phenomenon. Donald glover's an unfunny 30 year old who makes bad music, always talks about how depressed he is and perpetually looks like he ran out of shea butter.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DNS posted:

perpetually looks like he ran out of shea butter

What does this even mean?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sir Kodiak posted:

He's got dry skin problems?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

He looks mad ashy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

greatn posted:

I have no doubt about any of this happening. However, he'll instead perform "Parents Just Don't Understand". Leading to a guy backstage going, "Hey, Will! This is your cousin, Carlton! You know that sound you're looking for?!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hey, Will! It's your friend, y'know, DJ Jazzy Jeff? Yeah there's this kid rapping just like you and he looks exactly like you! Get down here so we can stomp his rear end or you're not going to have an act!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

He's got dry skin problems?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He looks mad ashy.

I guess I never noticed. Thanks for the clarification!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lobok posted:

Hey, Will! It's your friend, y'know, DJ Jazzy Jeff? Yeah there's this kid rapping just like you and he looks exactly like you! Get down here so we can stomp his rear end or you're not going to have an act!

But there is no one now to toss DJ Jazzy Jeff out of the house :(

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 3, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

But there is n oone now to toss DJ Jazzy Jeff out of the house :(

There's always Geoffrey.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Phylodox posted:

There's always Geoffrey.

Jeffrey v Geoffrey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That kickstarted Veronica Mars movie has a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhgd9T86Gk

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Skwirl posted:

That kickstarted Veronica Mars movie has a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhgd9T86Gk

I always forget Schmidt was in Veronica Mars. :allears:

Honestly it looks kinda interesting, and far better than I thought it would.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Even if the rest of the movie sucks, Dick is in it so I'm there.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

wyoming posted:

I always forget Schmidt was in Veronica Mars. :allears:

Honestly it looks kinda interesting, and far better than I thought it would.

This is honestly the first movie of the year I know I'm going to see in theaters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Other than a severe lack of "We Used to be Friends" in the trailer, that got me really pumped.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Is Divergent actually a good novel or is it just Hunger Games + Twilight = YA monies?

The trailer looks like orange-filtered barf. It got screams and applause from a full house when I saw it attached to The Hunger Games double-feature.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Will Smith would have made a great Marty McFly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dan Didio posted:

Will Smith would have made a great Marty McFly.

And they have to have an updated Delorean.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Hell, just pull a This Is the End and have a fictional portrayal of Jaden Smith go back in time to help out fictionalized Will Smith learn to rap and be the Fresh Prince.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regarding Noah; I've posted about this before, but seeing as discussion keeps happening and little bits of what I reported get repeated I might as well do so again. Basically last March-ish I worked for a small film festival dedicated to films about faith. One of the guest speakers was from a company who liaisons between religious groups and production companies, so when you hear reports of people disliking Noah he's the one who takes those reports back to the people in charge. To everyone's surprised he had brought an INCOMPLETE cut of Noah.

Now because I was part of the crew and, I suspect, because of the small audience (only around 20 or 30) I never signed any disclosure agreement.

The first two acts of the film roughly follow the story as laid out in the bible, with some minor differences from my understanding of it; firstly the village that Noah lives near attacks him to claim possession of the Ark and nearly succeed, so Noah seeks the help of angel half-breeds. These are CGI creations that look half Lord of the Rings Cave Troll and half Guillermo Del Toro style monster. They are good guys and act as the security guards of the Ark. Other things of note in this half are brief flashes of the war in heaven and an encounter with a pure blood angel, which is basically a massive monster with multiple wings, thousands of eyes and several heads - pretty cool design but the CGI was nowhere near finished. A lot of the bigger sections in this where still animated storyboards.

The third act is entirely on the Ark, with Noah and his family held having been overthrown by the villagers and the Ark in their hands. Eventually Noah gets free and, having realized God isn't listening anymore and having seen awful things done to his family by the villagers he decides to just straight up murder everyone. He frees some of the predators on the Ark (all of the animals by the way are CGI, and are designed to look like less evolved modern animals and dinosaurs; theirs a couple of featured ones that are basically massive tigers and velociraptors; again cool designs but unfinished CGI) and improvises some weapons for finishing off the rest.

The one thing I thought was kind of weird is that the village Noah left runs on oil and Noah decided to take his family and move because he didn't agree with the villagers mining the Earth, but it's such a minor (if heavy handed) plot point that I can over look.

Basically though it's actually a loving awesome film and I really, really don't think any of the content is particularly out of place (unlike in Sunshine). None, how much of this remains intact is anyone's guess - mine would be not much of it. It's pretty gory, very expensive looking and really dark once everyone is on the Ark.

I don't expect to ever see this cut of the film again though.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Regarding Noah;
I don't expect to ever see this cut of the film again though.

But what would it take for them to positively respond to the word of mouth, kind of like with Snakes on a Plane, and go back and re-shoot everything to be even more intense. Must have ghost whales and tsunami during the flood. Going to be a great film about films that go too far.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 4, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Nesetril posted:

But what would it take for them to positively respond to the word of mouth, kind of like with Snakes on a Plane, and go back and re-shoot everything to be even more intense. Must have ghost whales and tsunami during the flood. Going to be a great film about films that go too far.

Maybe Noah notices some gay unicorns and decides not to let them on the ark as a consequence, and then is overcome by deep regret once on the ark?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

PriorMarcus posted:

Tantalizing details regarding an early cut of "Noah".

:stare:

That sounds like a Jaradrowski's "Dune" level of improbably ambitious crazy-awesome and it is a God-damned tragedy that this film is probably going to be executive meddled and focus grouped to death.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That actually seems pretty drat conventional compared to what we all originally understood "Noah decides to kill everyone" to mean.

The villagers weren't meant to be on the Ark to begin with, so honestly, it's kinda Noah's job to kill them. They were supposed to be wiped out by the flood, otherwise the whole story is an exercise in futility. When it sounded like the third act was going to be "Noah tries to kill his family", then that's some serious Last Temptation of Christ poo poo, where it can be understood in a way that's theologically conventional, but is guaranteed to raise hackles anyway.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Maybe he'll really wow me in a movie, that would be nice

Have you not seen Mystery Team? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1237838/?ref_=nm_knf_i2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLONhcF5Jc

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Is Divergent actually a good novel or is it just Hunger Games + Twilight = YA monies?

In my view, no, it's yet another half-baked distopian setting, given a paper thin plot, and told poorly. If I was twelve I'd probably like it because it's simple and exciting. If you found The Hunger Games to be weak then you'll probably find Divergent to be even weaker.

(BTW, that "if I was twelve" thing isn't an insult. I know I'm not the target audience and I could tell that it was something the target audience would eat up.)

The details of that Noah plot are interesting since it's only theologically objectionable in the broadest sense (which I think we were all suspecting would be the case). I bet that if we saw that cut there would still be a lot of angry people about it but thematically it fits nicely with the original story. Well, except the ecological message which sounds incredibly clumsy but I'd want to see it before judging.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

turtlecrunch posted:

I've not read them yet and probably won't have time before they come out, but I did like the Hunger Games books and if they are similar to that, then they'll be good.

PriorMarcus posted:

Regarding Noah;

I want to see this cut soooo bad.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
While it's probably just riding the YA dystopian crazy, I'm kind of excited for the adaptation of The Giver coming out later this year. Jeff Bridges as the Giver, along with Meryl Streep, Alexander Skarsgard, Katie Holmes, and Taylor Swift (who probably won't be a great actress, but could be a pleasant surprise).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lady Gaga did a great job in Machete Kills, but yeah, I doubt Taylor Swift will have nearly as much of a screen presence.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tars Tarkas posted:

Need for Speed - Can a guy from Breaking Bad make this bad idea less bad? With Fast and Furious 7 delayed, maybe this car racing film will get more love. They can always kill off an actor right before it opens if they want more money!

What in the hell is wrong with you?

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
You might say he needed to use that joke as quickly as possible.

Also, NFS is supposed to have a gimped production budget of $66 million (compared to Fast and Furious at $85 and the latest FF at $160). What this probably means is that more interesting and expensive cars won't be shown, which kind of undermines the whole adaptation angle that the title is supposed to suggest.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Nesetril posted:

You might say he needed to use that joke as quickly as possible.

Also, NFS is supposed to have a gimped production budget of $66 million (compared to Fast and Furious at $85 and the latest FF at $160). What this probably means is that more interesting and expensive cars won't be shown, which kind of undermines the whole adaptation angle that the title is supposed to suggest.

They also don't have to pay out their rear end to have stars on the screen. $66 million doesn't seem so bad really. The first FF movie had a budget of $38 million, adjusted for inflation, NFS still has a higher budget.

• Locked thread