Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

With a poster like that you know the actual movie is going to be boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Greg Land does movie posters now?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Greg Land does movie posters now?

Glad I'm not the only one seeing it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I'm really torn between reading the spoilers for Noah and waiting to go in blind. If I knew without a doubt it wouldn't get chopped, I would definitely wait; as it is, I kind of want to know more just to understand everyone's reactions, but I kind of want to go in unprepared for what I get.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Random Stranger posted:

The details of that Noah plot are interesting since it's only theologically objectionable in the broadest sense (which I think we were all suspecting would be the case). I bet that if we saw that cut there would still be a lot of angry people about it but thematically it fits nicely with the original story. Well, except the ecological message which sounds incredibly clumsy but I'd want to see it before judging.

Yeah, the using non-renewable energy is bad detail is the one element of the plot I think they can safely get rid of. And it's more because that's the kind of thing stupid people would get super hung up on and distract from the far, far more fascinating things worthy of discussing in the movie.

I mean, holy poo poo, we've got text-accurate really alien-looking angels, giants, an Ark hijacking, and prehistoric beasts including, if I'm reading those spoilers right, accurate Maniraptors. Be still my heart. :syoon:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 4, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Is Divergent actually a good novel or is it just Hunger Games + Twilight = YA monies?

The trailer looks like orange-filtered barf. It got screams and applause from a full house when I saw it attached to The Hunger Games double-feature.

I read the first book and the trailer definitely shows a lot of the neat scenes from it, and the casting seems pretty spot on. The book is explicitly set in dystopian Chicago, so it's a little less generic. But the overall plot is weak, especially the ending, so I don't have high hopes for the movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Noah spoilers, about the major villains downfall; The oil subplot does come back in the end because Noah has Ray Winstone defeated in combat and kills him by dousing him in oil and setting him alight, which leads to a really cool shot of Russel Crowe, covered in blood and dirt, watching this man burn while prehistoric predators prowl on the edge of the fires light. Then, I imagine more controversially, God speaks to Noah through the burning body - like a gory burning bush, basically.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the gore isn't extreme or anything.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 4, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Noah spoilers, about the major villains downfall; The oil subplot does come back in the end because Noah has Ray Winstone defeated in combat and kills him by dousing him in oil and setting him alight, which leads to a really cool shot of Russel Crowe, covered in blood and dirt, watching this man burn while prehistoric predators prowl on the edge of the fires light. Then, I imagine more controversially, God speaks to Noah through the burning body - like a gory burning bush, basically.

Goddamnit PriorMarcus, you better not be lying about this because, holy poo poo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

smackfu posted:

I read the first book and the trailer definitely shows a lot of the neat scenes from it, and the casting seems pretty spot on. The book is explicitly set in dystopian Chicago, so it's a little less generic. But the overall plot is weak, especially the ending, so I don't have high hopes for the movie.

I do think that it bears repeating that the author made the intelligent faction the bad guys because she was mad at a professor in one of her classes who said some bad things about some popular best selling books or something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Goddamnit PriorMarcus, you better not be lying about this because, holy poo poo.

I'm accurately describing the film that I saw early last year (2013). Even back then there was a lot of talk about how controversial it was, so how much of it remains intact I've no idea. I hope all of it.

Also back then the temporary score was music from The Fountain and it fit in really well to give you all an idea of the overall tone and rhythm of scenes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm accurately describing the film that I saw early last year (2013). Even back then there was a lot of talk about how controversial it was, so how much of it remains intact I've no idea. I hope all of it.

Nah, I'm just voicing a concern, because the internet and all.

Most of what you've stated kinda jibes with previous reports from pre-screenings (such as the third act which I thought had Noah killing his family members, hence the Sunshine reference, because I hadn't known that the villagers take the Ark), so I'm willing to take it as the word of God.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Nah, I'm just voicing a concern, because the internet and all.

Most of what you've stated kinda jibes with previous reports from pre-screenings (such as the third act which I thought had Noah killing his family members, hence the Sunshine reference, because I hadn't known that the villagers take the Ark), so I'm willing to take it as the word of God.

There's a lot of stuff I'm kind of unclear on because some of it was still storyboard shots. The battle that allows the villagers to take the Ark, for example, was mainly a mix of CGI and hand drawn storyboards, and the way that Noah builds the Ark looked rough as hell in the cut I saw. Basically he's given a single seed from the garden of Eden, because the Earth is a barren wasteland all around, and uses it to grow a massive forest that he uses for wood. I'd bet it looks awesome in the finished film but for me it was just a bunch of people standing around watching nothing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Do we hear the voice of God? Because it would be pretty wild if Crowe just rolls his eyes back into his skull like he's having a seizure and starts foaming at the mouth while muttering 'yes lord yes I will' every time God talks to him.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

So does anyone else get the feeling that Lone Survivor will be jingoistic trash and that the new Paranormal Activity is going to be super racist?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Do we hear the voice of God? Because it would be pretty wild if Crowe just rolls his eyes back into his skull like he's having a seizure and starts foaming at the mouth while muttering 'yes lord yes I will' every time God talks to him.

God speaks to Noah three times in the film, once in a dream that shows him the story of creation, once as a burning bush; the flames are CGI wisp of energy, and again at the end in the bigger spoiler I detailed, again turning from practical fire into CGI energy. We hear him speak, Noah doesn't have seizures or anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FuzzySkinner posted:

All it is, is him making funny faces, with funny voices, and discussing his own personal childhood. Not in the Eddie Murphy, "YOU EVER HAVE A MOM THAT MAKE YOU A HAMBURGER"-type way, but to him, and him specifically.

If you're trying to say something bad about that bit from Raw then you can go straight to hell. I guess I'm partial to that one because it described my mom perfectly, down to putting onions in the house burger. I never knew other people actually did that.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

At least Eddie Murphy had the decency to be goddamn hilarious if you chose to ignore his homophobia, which is absolutely a product of the time (doesn't make it right in any way whatsoever, of course).

There's absolutely no excuse for these unfunny bastards.

Yeah, at the very least you could reasonably expect Eddie Murphy to not say stuff like that now.

greatn posted:

Everyone knows that reboot will star Jaden and Will Smith. He will drive a Tesla to 1985 and the doc played by Bryan Cranston will be astounded the burnt out time circuits require 1.21 Jigabytes of RAM. Jaden will have to perform Smells Like Teen Spirit at the high school dance to make sure will marries Jada Pinkett. In the third one they'll go to 1915 and need the help of the real Tesla.

If you take the Smiths out of the equation I'm legit on board with this concept.
What happens in the second one though? What's the current-day equivalent of the sports almanac?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

raditts posted:

What happens in the second one though? What's the current-day equivalent of the sports almanac?

Wikipedia. He downloads a future copy of the Wikipedia website.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

door Door door posted:

So does anyone else get the feeling that Lone Survivor will be jingoistic trash and that the new Paranormal Activity is going to be super racist?

The trailer to Lone Survivor gave me that feeling, yeah. Besides the premise, the "God is on our side" line seemed pretty indicative.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It sounds like Aaronfsky is going full-on John Milton or Dante Alighieri with Noah, taking a basic story and fleshing it out until it becomes almost Biblical apocrypha.

door Door door posted:

There's already been discussion about Lone Survivor among military critics. A lot of the stuff in the book is inaccurate from what actually happened in Operation Red Wings. I'll crosspost from the TFR movie thread to get you up to speed...

Bored As gently caress posted:

I was really, really disappointed to learn that the book Lone Survivor is full of inaccuracies, as I thought it was fantastic aside from his LIEBERALS ARE THE DEVIL bullshit. As a result of the inaccuracies, though, the movie, based on the book, is probably going to be highly inaccurate at best. The book itself was ghost-written by a British military *fiction* writer while Luttrell himself was in Iraq, so that should give you some clue as to how well the book portrays reality.

The inaccuracies of the book range from the benign (the naming of the operation - it was Operation Red Wings, not Redwing), to the extremely important (the number of enemy wasn't in the hundreds, or even dozens - the number of enemy in Luttrell's After Action Report was 20-35, though later intelligence imagery analysis put it more at 10-15. However, the book states *hundreds*, which is wildly inaccurate [and really isn't even possible in such a remote area of Afghanistan, especially for a low level guy like Ahmad Shah aka Ben Sharmak], and the number seemed to increase with every appearance he made afterwards). There are plenty more errors in the links below, such as stating that Operation Red Wing was entirely a SEAL / SOF operation (it wasn't - it was mainly a Marine one), saying that their target was a "mid level commander," and knew bin Laden, when he was a low level guy with 8-10 men under his command in an extremely remote part of Afghanistan, and more inaccuracies listed in the links below.

He also said that the Taliban and Al Qaeda were in league with Saddam Hussein - which is completely, verifiably, and demonstrably false. Also, "Throughout his text he confuses, Taliban, Al Qaeda, Shia, Sunni, and other groups, while ignoring the other militants in Afghanistan." - See more at: http://onviolence.com/?e=234#sthash.3qYpw3Ej.dpuf

Those errors, plus his bullshit politicization of decent-sized portions of the book, makes this book pretty much worthless as far as a tale of what *actually* happened on those mountains. Personally, I don't really think we'll ever know what truly happened on that mountain. The best information we have to go on are the official after action reports, interviews from other military members involved in Operation Red Wing (such as many of the Marines involved and the findings of the rescue/recovery teams), and the intelligence reports written after the mission.

Those three other SEALs died heroically, to be sure - but I just don't see how we can trust Luttrell's account in his book (once again - Ghost written by a British military *fiction* writer), given the massive disparities between his account in his book, and his own official After Action Reports, as well as other accounts from other forces involved with Operation Red Wing.

First link: 6 Errors with Lone Survivor: http://onviolence.com/?e=234

Ed Darack, author of Victory Point, a book about the overall Operation Red Wing, not just the SEAL part: http://www.darack.com/sawtalosar/misinformation.php

So, yeah, expect the movie to be a game of telephone with the real incident with some added exaggeration of events and jingoism.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 4, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

It sounds like Aaronfsky is going full-on John Milton or Dante Alighieri with this, taking a basic story and fleshing it out until it becomes almost Biblical apocrypha.

If you want to know anything else just ask. I've avoided mentioning a lot of the weirder/cooler details about the world the story takes place in because I think it's one of the really unique Aronofsky aspects of the film that really sold me on it but it would be more interesting to go in fresh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My god, Noah sounds like the best biblical movie since Last Temptation of Christ. :allears:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Wikipedia. He downloads a future copy of the Wikipedia website.

I'd like to see that flopping around in Biff's car.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Young Freud posted:

It sounds like Aaronfsky is going full-on John Milton or Dante Alighieri with Noah, taking a basic story and fleshing it out until it becomes almost Biblical apocrypha.

...almost? Whatever its appeal might win up being it sounds like Noah: The Theme Park Ride.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

PriorMarcus posted:

God speaks to Noah three times in the film, once in a dream that shows him the story of creation, once as a burning bush; the flames are CGI wisp of energy, and again at the end in the bigger spoiler I detailed, again turning from practical fire into CGI energy. We hear him speak, Noah doesn't have seizures or anything.

Disappointing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IUG posted:

Obviously, it would just be printouts of Category: World Series Champions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IUG posted:

That's just the Anime portion of Wikipedia right?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IUG posted:

So, how much of that is devoted to Star Wars, My Little Pony, and anime?

That's a joke edition, because the real Wikipedia without pictures, circa 2006, would be 1,954 500-page volumes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

raditts posted:

If you're trying to say something bad about that bit from Raw then you can go straight to hell. I guess I'm partial to that one because it described my mom perfectly, down to putting onions in the house burger. I never knew other people actually did that.

Yeah, at the very least you could reasonably expect Eddie Murphy to not say stuff like that now.

No, No, that's the point.

It's a relate-able bit that is very MUCH a shared experience, thus making it all the more hilarious for the audience.

Kevin Hart has never even remotely stumbled upon that.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 4, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

The chase now takes place in a warehouse so Biff can lug it around on a fork lift.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

door Door door posted:

I didn't find it racist at all.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 4, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IUG posted:

Or he could get one of these:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I more had in mind that he downloads it into a USB; most likely a novelty one shaped like an American football.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Or he could get one of these:

Actually, I was thinking about a iPad or Nexus or something similar tablet or netbook. Enough memory on it and it'll store a backup of Wikipedia, with pictures. The October 2013 dump, with no talk, user, or history pages, is something like 9.5GB compressed, 44GB uncompressed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

This post doesn't belong here, you're looking for "PYF Ridiculous 90s Video Game Cover".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Squallege posted:

The chase now takes place in a warehouse so Biff can lug it around on a fork lift.
Actually the warehouse IS the almanac, considering how massive that would be

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
So is he a person that used to be a cyborg or is he a cyborg that is also a mutant?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Cyborg going through divorce proceedings.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Why are you posting Fallout 3 screenshots in Who Greenlighted?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Slasherfan posted:

I didn't find it racist at all.

I haven't seen it, but the only full length trailer I saw made it look like all the characters would be pretty big stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Not gonna lie, for a second I thought that woman had a crotch-gun.

Like, on the one hand why would you ever need a crotch-gun but on the other hand who wouldn't want a crotch-gun.

• Locked thread