Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Croisquessein posted:

I cop to the sperg, I'm just curious! I like the idea that the earth was already old at the time of the Flood, since the usual idea is 1100 years or so. I have no attachment to a particular version of the story, I just hope the oil thing is addressed :crossarms:

Did you read the spoiler I posted, maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining? Evolution is a stated fact in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
How would the 'oil' element be anything other than intensely symbolic. Of all the nitpicks of rumored future movies that's about the silliest.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

PriorMarcus posted:

Did you read the spoiler I posted, maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining? Evolution is a stated fact in the film.

Sorry, I just looked through it and couldn't find the part about evolution, but do you mean they establish an old earth? That's all I was wondering.

Danger posted:

How would the 'oil' element be anything other than intensely symbolic. Of all the nitpicks of rumored future movies that's about the silliest.

May not seem like a big deal, but I personally know lots of people who would work themselves into a froth if they saw this movie as described. have a weirdo religious background and creationism makes up a big part of that, so I'm always paying attention to things like that.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 6, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Croisquessein posted:

Sorry, I just looked through it and couldn't find the part about evolution, but do you mean they establish an old earth? That's all I was wondering.

It's not old or new, or past or present. They don't live on Earth as we understand but instead a sort of meta-Earth. They have oil because a week from now all of the animals except for what's on the Ark will die, but that happened a long time ago as well. And Noah fought for the US army but guns have only just been invented. When talking about Noah taking the animals onto the Ark God says that "They are the first form and the last form. All of them will become more, and more will become two." If you've seen the Fountain it kind of feels like that, though it's a minor part of the overall story. Even the Garden of Eden seed is portrayed less as a magic plant and more as a weird form of localized time displacement. Which now that I've typed it sounds dumb as gently caress, but the film portrays it really well and not at all as directly.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

It's not old or new, or past or present. They don't live on Earth as we understand but instead a sort of meta-Earth. They have oil because a week from now all of the animals except for what's on the Ark will die, but that happened a long time ago as well. And Noah fought for the US army but guns have only just been invented. When talking about Noah taking the animals onto the Ark God says that "They are the first form and the last form. All of them will become more, and more will become two." If you've seen the Fountain it kind of feels like that, though it's a minor part of the overall story. Even the Garden of Eden seed is portrayed less as a magic plant and more as a weird form of localized time displacement. Which now that I've typed it sounds dumb as gently caress, but the film portrays it really well and not at all as directly.

OK! I had totally the wrong idea.

Now tell me...are their centaurs and mermaids? This is important.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Croisquessein posted:

OK! I had totally the wrong idea.

Now tell me...are their centaurs and mermaids? This is important.

Haha. No, and no. But their are Mammoths and a kind of Velociraptor.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

One of the fun explanations for oil is that oil is created by the Earth and not by decaying carbon matter. A version of this theory exists outside of creationism that is used by some nutters as an excuse for drill baby drill, because we'll never run out of oil. Someone makes money by peddling it, so it is successful enough to keep going as one of the hundreds of conspiracies that show that average dudes know more than scientists and doctors and the government.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Noah sounds loving incredible. I really hope we get to see it in a relatively non-butchered form.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Haha. No, and no. But their are Mammoths and a kind of Velociraptor.

Aww, so its not nearly as insane as the version I got :)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

OP now updated with all the prior Greenlit threads

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Sir Kodiak posted:

Noah sounds loving incredible. I really hope we get to see it in a relatively non-butchered form.

It is definitely one of those times where the studio needs to release two versions, cut and uncut if you would.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There must have been some serious rewrites to Noah because that poo poo is not in the screenplay I read. It is a bananas script and I look forward to seeing it. 9-foot tall hyperviolent angels with 6 arms? What?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

solovyov posted:

If you're a fan of Mark Wahlberg talks to animals

I am actually, could you recommend any similar movies?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jesus loving christ, Noah sounds like the kind of insanity everyone was hoping for from Jodorowsky's Dune. Here's hoping it remains in some sort of viewable form once it inevitably gets butchered.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mr. stefan posted:

Jesus loving christ, Noah sounds like the kind of insanity everyone was hoping for from Jodorowsky's Dune. Here's hoping it remains in some sort of viewable form once it inevitably gets butchered.

I figure we'll get to see the 'real version' either A.) on a special edition Blu-Ray release years from now or B.) never. Fingers crossed!

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

fyodor posted:

There must have been some serious rewrites to Noah because that poo poo is not in the screenplay I read. It is a bananas script and I look forward to seeing it. 9-foot tall hyperviolent angels with 6 arms? What?

The whole angels being nonhuman is straight out of the Bible though. The books of Isaiah and Ezekiel both talk about multiwinged, multifaced angels, angels as burning wheels, angels as giant thrones, and eyes, eyes loving all over these things. Basically they're Lovecraftian horrors, crafted by divinity so that our little mortal brains can't even comprehend them properly. The Bible is kind of crazy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really REALLY hope that if the studio does butcher Noah, they wait until after Aronofsky's done his edit or at least all the renders are done. I have a feeling that if the studio does decide to heavily edit the movie down, they will never, under any circumstance, ever release a director's cut. However, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Aronofsky went ahead and did his own director's cut and leaked it to the internet himself a few years later.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If there is any chance that the studio can make any money off a directors cut they will release it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, and they might figure they don't stand to make any money off of it, at all. Especially if that Director's Cut happens to cause mass protests in the flyover states.

The studio only ever put out one DVD version of The Fountain, and it was a horribly dark transfer that Aronofsky hated. They refused to let him do a commentary track for the DVD so he recorded one himself in his living room and put it on his website.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mass protests over a DVD release?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Mass protests over a DVD release?

Mass protests in the bible belt put on by a bunch of offended religious people, yes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Mass protests in the bible belt put on by a bunch of offended religious people, yes.

Has this ever happened over a DVD release?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This thread has both sold me on Noah and caused me despair when I realized it would most likely never get released as is. Unless Aronofsky manages to pull out a Brazil.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Has this ever happened over a DVD release?

Not with a DVD release, but Last Temptation Of Christ engendered enough moral outrage that fundies sent out death threats to video store owners when it came out on home video. This was before you had Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, so your mom & pop video store was pretty much it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Not with a DVD release, but Last Temptation Of Christ engendered enough moral outrage that fundies sent out death threats to video store owners when it came out on home video. This was before you had Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, so your mom & pop video store was pretty much it.

This is about the closest thing we've had to something like Noah as well. It's been a while since there's been a biblical movie that wasn't just catering to the fundies, so who knows how they'll react this time around.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Video stores that carried it... which don't exist anymore. I'm talking about something that a studio would care about, e.g. directed at them.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

One could argue that Innocence of Muslims film killed a whole bunch of people, and it was just a YouTube trailer. I don't think a DVD release (or vhs) has caused violent protests, though theatrical releases have sometimes had bad thing happen, such as the firebombing in France during The Last Temptation of Christ's theatrical release.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Video stores that carried it... which don't exist anymore. I'm talking about something that a studio would care about, e.g. directed at them.

These days people are more aware of what studio is responsible for what, and organizing boycotts and letter writing campaigns is much, much easier. Like I said, it's been a while since it's happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if some fringe group like the PTC latched onto this and decided to wage war on the studio for it if it happened. Whether or not the studio would care is unknown, but other places have buckled to that kind of pressure.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to be really fun watching all the people who got huffy about the Duck Dynasty guy being "censored" because he offended people turning around and demanding that they change Noah because it offends them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's going to be really fun watching all the people who got huffy about the Duck Dynasty guy being "censored" because he offended people turning around and demanding that they change Noah because it offends them.

Cognitive dissonance isn't really something those kinds of people care about.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Here is a movie called #iKllr
which is "Based on an actual Twitter account." (???)
written by "I. Nonymous"
and there is one message board comment: "director is a scam artist" (that has since been deleted)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2477324/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The director may have earned the right to that scam money by virtue of writing one of the funniest and most bewildering tag lines in history.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here is a movie called #iKllr
which is "Based on an actual Twitter account." (???)
written by "I. Nonymous"
and there is one message board comment: "director is a scam artist" (that has since been deleted)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2477324/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

That makes sense I guess, it's a logical progression past feardotcom and Smiley (the 4chan/Chatroulette one).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skwirl posted:

Cognitive dissonance isn't really something those kinds of people care about.

Hahah, not really the place, but this is pretty funny.

quote:

“We are locked in a struggle with powerful forces in this country who will do anything to destroy the Second Amendment,” said Richard Venola, a former editor of Guns & Ammo. “The time for ceding some rational points is gone.”

(Mr. Venola had murder charges against him dismissed in Arizona last year. He said he was defending himself after fatally shooting a neighbor during an argument.)

Anyway, Noah is just a sad situation all around and I just want to see Aranofsky's version and not get something akin to Lynch's Dune.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hahah, not really the place, but this is pretty funny.
I don't really care that much, since I didn't even know he existed until now, but I get a little pissed about how the second amendment trumps the first (what I linked is not in any way a first amendment issue, a guy with a tv show said something that I agree with, but it pissed off his advertisers so he got yanked, that's television. I can't tell from the article, but I assume it's a cable show, and that's how cable works). Also the complete lack of understanding about what the first amendment means. Having a for profit tv show cancelled because you pissed off advertisers isn't a violation of your rights. Being on television isn't a right, If it was more of you would know my face.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Reminder that right-wing political cartoonists drew the Duck Dynasty guy with a crown of thorns

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Marvel has the rights for Star Wars comics back after 20 years with Dark Horse. Let's hope that Walrus Jabba and Skinny Yoda return with them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mustach posted:

Reminder that right-wing political cartoonists drew the Duck Dynasty guy with a crown of thorns

Caring about political cartoonists is about the same as caring about the dude with the weird sign next to a public transit nexus.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Corek posted:

Marvel has the rights for Star Wars comics back after 20 years with Dark Horse. Let's hope that Walrus Jabba and Skinny Yoda return with them.

Green rabbit aliens in Episode 7, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The MSJ posted:

Perhaps not everything in the movie follows the Christian Bible 100%. Actually, I don't really have an idea about the timeline in the Bible. How long ago was it supposed to take place?

With all this talk about how weird the Noah movie is, is there any hope for a giant snake vs demon snakes battle in the climax of Ridley Scott's Moses movie?

edit:
A picture from Exodus. Looking at that statue in the background, Scott out of nowhere reveals that the movie is actually a prequel to Prometheus.

I don't know why I was surprised that the main cast of this film is a bunch of white people and Ben Kingsley, but somehow I still am.

• Locked thread