Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Yechezkel posted:

USA:
The $10 PSN code from adding $50 to your PSN wallet through PayPal should come sometime today, most likely in the late evening.

Done : http://psnupdates.wordpress.com, RSS links on the side.
Please be gentle. :ohdear: I will fill it up as the week goes on. It will just be a copy of all of my important posts in here, along with any other significant updates posted by others. I'll post here first, then copy if over to the site.

Thanks! Subbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
DmC is the free PS+ game tomorrow, along with Don't Starve for PS4.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

DmC is the free PS+ game tomorrow, along with Don't Starve for PS4.
The PS2 version or the DmC reboot for PS3?
I seem to recall the reboot got less than stellar reviews.

DmC = Devil May Cry right? :confused:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

DmC: Devil May Cry

(It's the reboot)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I didn't mind the reboot. But then again, I could never play the old ones well.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

at least its not loving bioshock infinite

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

What's wrong with Bioshock: Infinite? I never played the original but enjoyed the sequel.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I liked DmC, but I also hated all the pre-reboot DMC games despite liking that style of action game, so....

Also, if nothing else, DmC is worth playing for this one boss fight that happens about 2/3rds of the way through the game. That bit is loving amazing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah bro gently caress that I don't want no free copy of the best game of 2013 gently caress the man

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Robawesome posted:

What's wrong with Bioshock: Infinite? I never played the original but enjoyed the sequel.

the art and stuff in infinite is cool, but its just a really bland and uninteresting shooter game.
I haven't played DmC yet, but the gameplay at least looks engaging.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the art and stuff in infinite is cool, but its just a really bland and uninteresting shooter game.
I haven't played DmC yet, but the gameplay at least looks engaging.

I don't think it's fair to call Bioshock bland and uninteresting when games like Duke Nukem: Forever exist.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Full NA PS+ preview for tomorrow:

quote:

Free
PS4 game Don't Starve: Console Edition. Reminder: you don't need a PS4 to claim the free PS4 games. You can claim them through the webstore.
PS3 game DmC: Devil May Cry 6.5 GB

PS+ Discount
PSP Game Streetkix: Freestyle $11.99 $10.79

PS+ offers going away tomorrow
▼ Free - PS4 game Contrast 2.2 GB (no cross-buy, PS3 version not included)
▼ Free - PS3 game Grid 2 5.8 GB
▼ Discount - Vita version of Runner2 $9.99 $7.99 (no cross-buy, PS3 version not included)
▼ Discount - Runner2 Vita version: Good Friends Character Pack $2.99 $2.09
▼ Discount - Vita version of Terraria $14.99 $13.49 (no cross-buy, PS3 version not included)
▼ Discount - Ethan: Meteor Hunter $7.99 $6.39
▼ Discount - Draw Slasher $4.99 $2.99
▼ Discounts - Additional PS+ discounts in Zombie Driver stuff

Next week, Galaga Legends DX will be rotated out of the free section. It's a good chance that Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons will replace it, since both are PSN-only games.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 6, 2014

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Robawesome posted:

I don't think it's fair to call Bioshock bland and uninteresting when games like Duke Nukem: Forever exist.

That may be true, but at it's core Bioshock Infinite is the same corridor shooter everyone's played a million times before. The guns are your standard pistol, shotgun, machine gun, and you can only carry two guns at a time. Halfway through the game it gives you "upgraded" versions of the same weapons that are really no different other than they might do more damage and have red highlights on their textures. And all the plasmids or whatever are all the same but with different visual effects. Press one button to shoot a fire/ice/lightning ball, press the other to drop a fire/ice/lightning trap.

So yeah, the art is the only thing it has going for it. The rest is really unimaginative.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

That may be true, but at it's core Bioshock Infinite is the same corridor shooter everyone's played a million times before. The guns are your standard pistol, shotgun, machine gun, and you can only carry two guns at a time. Halfway through the game it gives you "upgraded" versions of the same weapons that are really no different other than they might do more damage and have red highlights on their textures. And all the plasmids or whatever are all the same but with different visual effects. Press one button to shoot a fire/ice/lightning ball, press the other to drop a fire/ice/lightning trap.

So yeah, the art is the only thing it has going for it. The rest is really unimaginative.

Nobody loving cares. It's a free game. It's not bad half-bad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Honestly the shooty bits in Bioshock Infinite have just been getting in the way of me exploring the world and taking screenshots (dumb gun taking up so much of my screen!) and loving the music and whatever is going on with the story but to this point I'm loving it.

To reduce all that to "the art" is pretty overstated.

edit: this is underrating the pleasure I get from no-iron-sightsing four straight headshots with the pistol

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 6, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Nohman posted:

Nobody loving cares.

Yeah let's go back to talking about how anime is anime.

epitasis posted:

Honestly the shooty bits in Bioshock Infinite have just been getting in the way of me exploring the world and taking screenshots (dumb gun taking up so much of my screen!) and loving the music and whatever is going on with the story but to this point I'm loving it.

To reduce all that to "the art" is pretty overstated.

Bioshock Infinite does have this issue where the first 20 minutes and scattered setpieces across the rest of the game are a league better than the actual gameplay. I wouldn't pay money for it, but it's worth a rent/burrow/free and play on easy to just blitz through the shooty grind. Kinda like Uncharted but worse, since all the Bioshock gameplay is bad whereas Uncharted has exploration and puzzle solving.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 6, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I didn't particularly care for Bioshock Infinite either, but hey it's free for all the people that haven't bought it when it came out, rented it, picked it up used or bought it on an insane Steam/Amazon deal yet so like, all 7 of those people, should be pretty excited I guess.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm more excited over DmC, because I've seen clips and they are spectacularly dumb.

So dumb, I want to play it and find out how much dumber it gets.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Robawesome posted:

Bioshock Infinite is a fairly decent shooter with reasonably satisfying gunplay and interesting offensive strategies by way of all the plasmids vigors. It also has quite excellent level design that employs verticality with interesting spaces. Combat becomes quite fun when you start figuring out approaches that you like. This is offset somewhat by kinda wonky AI that's easy to trick into getting stuck on level geometry. It's also offset somewhat by the fact that the combat is not staggeringly innovative, although it does bring together a number of systems that work. Things only really fall apart in a few very specific encounters, although you can cheese those if you want so eh.

Bioshock Infinite is also so far up its own rear end that it can't quite see what a mess its overall plot and progression are. The first hour is amazing. It cribs liberally from several previous videogame openers (most notably Bioshock) but it cribs well and has learned the right lessons. I loved that first hour so much it took me most of the next fourteen to realize how much the rest of the game failed to really deliver on its promise. But I digress. You'll have an excellent time, and then you'll kill police officers for about five hours, and then things really go to poo poo. Most of the mid-game plot twists border on offensive once you start applying any level of thought to them. Where I will give the writers credit is that they managed to foreshadow most of the real twists quite effectively in ways that actually do border on clever, and once the game gets past the middle of the plot and starts leading into what it's really about you may find yourself actually legitimately interested for a while. If nothing else, the game brings it all together in a fairly entertaining fashion and it takes a bit of afterthought to realize how much of a clusterfuck it actually was.

Where the game shines is in its setting; it's immediately compelling, richly detailed, highly fleshed out and dripping with delicious anachronisms. It's also beautifully realized.

For a free PS+ game, Bioshock Infinite is not loving bad. Really, the worst thing about it has nothing to do with the game itself, but more how a bunch of gamers (and, worse, game journalists) are hailing it as the second coming of Christ that will reestablish the status of videogames as high art that we can show to our ever-skeptical elders to finally convince them that we're doing more than having some fun with these things. gently caress that poo poo. It's just a videogame, people - albeit one with a $100,000,000 development budget. It's a pretty OK game, and such commentary as it makes on the world it makes with the effortless grace known only to AAA action-adventure studios with 9-figure budgets and 100s-strong teams. It's here, it's on our PS3s, and it's alright.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
If I was bummed about anything in DmC it was that they keep showing off "look at this smug rear end in a top hat you're playing as" and in the end he never really gets that bad.

Strange thing to be bummed about I guess.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

This game got great reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry

Also goons would have you believe it's terrible. I can't speak for them. I personally enjoyed it a lot. I'm sure the people who played the previous Devil May Cry games on the hardest difficulties will hate this one. I played it on Normal and then when I replayed it on the harder difficulties I found it to be too frustrating and quit. I bought this game at full price and didn't regret it so definitely check it out.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

superh posted:

If I was bummed about anything in DmC it was that they keep showing off "look at this smug rear end in a top hat you're playing as"

me

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
NA region:
Today is the last day to get The Walking Dead: Season 2: Season Pass for $14.99. After tomorrow's update, it will go up to $19.99.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Updates by email:

Very posh, I do like this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I talked about this in the other PS thread, but DmC is a good, not great game. For free though, you can't go too wrong. It helps to go in expecting something more like a GoW type of game then an actual DMC game. There is alot of complexity to the fighting system but you never need any of it because the enemies are slow and project their moves so hard that it's almost funny. On that note, start the game on the hardest difficulty it allows you to. The game will still be far too easy, but it'll be a little better. The best thing about the game is the art direction. Ninja Theory still know how to make a pretty game and some of the visuals are pretty jaw dropping. Also, while most of the boss fights are nothing special, it does contain one of the better bosses I've seen in quite some time.

Also, it's a DMC game, so of course the plot it awful so don't expect anything else.

As I said, it's a good game and if you go into it with the right attitude you should not regret the spending the short time it takes to beat it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

axleblaze posted:

Also, it's a DMC game, so of course the plot it awful so don't expect anything else.

The difference is this one tries so loving hard to make you care and be edgy.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sony just had its CES press conference. Summary: :itwaspoo:, nothing new was mentioned related to PSN or PS devices. There were mentions of the 4K Video Unlimited store, some free movies and PS Mobile games with one of the Sony phones, and a phone coming with PlayStation App pre-installed on it, but that was it.

Kaz Hirai will do a keynote tomorrow morning at 9am Pacific. There might be something mentioned there related to PSN, but I doubt it.

Another pack of super-hero costumes for LittleBigPlanet games: DC Comics Costume Pack 2, will come out this week in both regions. They are free if you bought the DC Comics Season Pass.
Also coming out this week is the re-release of the free costume New Year Fireworks Costume, free and only available for 1 week after the store update.

Even more games were pulled from PSN: All of the MLB 2K games and add-ons were pulled from the store. I think 2K only put up the PSP versions of the games on PSN. 2K didn't renew their license with MLB and deleted all references to it from the digital stores and on their website.

The upcoming PS4 game Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will not be cheaper to buy if you own the PS3 version:

quote:

Will there be a discount available for those who purchased Tomb Raider (2013) and want to upgrade to Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on next-gen?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not participating in an upgrade program. The game will retail for $59.99 in North America. Check with your local retailer for price points across Europe.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I don't want to spam up this thread with too much praise, but holy poo poo getting these updates by email is the best drat thing. For me, email is the one thing I find impossible to miss, so it's this thread's final evolution as far as I am concerned.

Can a responsible adult please start up a collection to buy Yech a PS4? I'd definitely contribute towards that fund.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, please. Money is not a problem. When the time is right, I'll get one on my own.
Now I'm worried about spamming you guys. I didn't know Wordpress had an email option.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yechezkel posted:

No, please. Money is not a problem. When the time is right, I'll get one on my own.
Now I'm worried about spamming you guys. I didn't know Wordpress had an email option.

Honestly, your updates are better than anywhere else I've looked at on the internet (Sony's official blog included). Don't worry about spamming.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

This thread is always awesome, and the blog and RSS feed is even nicer! Now I can get your great updates when I'm not on my home computer. Thanks for everything you do, Yechezkel!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Yechezkel posted:

It is literally an option you have to choose to sign up for, knowing in advance what you are doing. It's the very opposite of spam, it is condensed awesomeness delivered by email without needing to do anything. Anyone who uses that option does so totally in the knowledge of what they will be getting.

Can you at least promise that the next time you want a cool looking game from the Hong Kong region that you let me hook you up? I will send you the doodad, thingamajig or exclusive to here thing of your choice any time you ask for it. I firmly believe in tipping my goddamn waiter.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
So I was excited to find out work was cancelled tomorrow due to snow, which means I'll get to play Don't Starve! But I have to ask, still being a PSN noob, is there a time when the updates usually happen? Need to plan my day accordingly, if possible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pews posted:

So I was excited to find out work was cancelled tomorrow due to snow, which means I'll get to play Don't Starve! But I have to ask, still being a PSN noob, is there a time when the updates usually happen? Need to plan my day accordingly, if possible.

It's always pretty up in the air. It can happen as early as noon or as late as Wednesday. Usually it happening around 5pmish EST though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Too bad tomb raider won't have an upgrade. I totally would have gone for it if it was something like $10-20 bucks to upgrade to it.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm thinking/hoping eventually pretty much everything will have an upgrade. It's a sure fire way to breath new revenue into older games whose sales have slowed down. Much easier and cheaper for developers than making a completely new game I expect.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thank you so much for this thread. I'm super excited for Don't Starve and a little less so but still for DmC. Can't wait for Brothers. Lots of games I missed that I'm slowly catching up on with PS+.

I want to have Tomb Raider for my PS4, but man at $60 I might as well wait.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ularg posted:

Thank you so much for this thread. I'm super excited for Don't Starve and a little less so but still for DmC. Can't wait for Brothers. Lots of games I missed that I'm slowly catching up on with PS+.

I want to have Tomb Raider for my PS4, but man at $60 I might as well wait.

Considering how it's an early release, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go on PS+ or on sale for $10 later this year. Honestly, unless you really need something to play right now, or have never played tomb raider before, just wait until it goes free on PS+

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

This has all been incredibly relevant to the discussion

• Locked thread