Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahhh Jet Moto, I played those too. Wonder if those were still up. Stinks they don't have Parappa up, but they probably want to sell the PSP version Thanks for all the recommendations goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Abu Dave posted:

Ahhh Jet Moto, I played those too. Wonder if those were still up. Stinks they don't have Parappa up, but they probably want to sell the PSP version Thanks for all the recommendations goons.

You could get the pseudosequel, Um Jammer Lammy

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Abu Dave posted:

I never liked the artstyle when they made it more anime-ish, if that makes sense.

Has Dino crisis 1 or 2 aged well at all?
As someone who just popped in Dino Crisis 1 the other day to try and play it again, it really hasn't aged very well at all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zenintrude posted:

You could get the pseudosequel, Um Jammer Lammy

I actually bought a brand new sealed copy of that a couple months ago, but it's unplayable on PS3 because of lag from HD. Sucks :(. Wonder if theres any lag on the Vita cause of the OLED

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Abu Dave posted:

I actually bought a brand new sealed copy of that a couple months ago, but it's unplayable on PS3 because of lag from HD. Sucks :(. Wonder if theres any lag on the Vita cause of the OLED

... are you sure? Those games have always had the trickiest timings to them, and it has nothing to do with lag or perfect inputs. In fact, the more off beat your inputs, the better you'll do.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

univbee posted:

Me too, although I think there was a problem because the original release hosed up and forgot to translate some of the extra content and Sony has a strict policy about that sort of thing with digital releases. :negative:

It's the only PS1 game that costs more than $40 off eBay, right?

Suikoden 2's slap-dash localization only exists on the North American release. The European release fixed most, if not all of these problems with the caveat that it's supposedly even harder to get than the NA release. It'd be nice if Sony actually used the PSOne Imports program for something other than letting Human/Hamster dump their lovely Japanese SRPGs and dating sims onto the Western PSNs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not 100% sure, just playing the PSP version of Parappa on PSP I was doing fine, COOL-ing every song, then I went to PS3 Unjammer and couldn't pass a song :(. Maybe the timing was just much more strict

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm out of town, so I'm wondering if it's possible to add DmC to my download queue and then it would download during it's nightly sync. I didn't leave my PS3 on when I left, so the only way it would download is if it did it when it automatically turns on at 3am tonight.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pegnose Pete posted:

Is there a list of PSP/PSone Classics that require a PS3 transfer in order to get them working on Vita? I won't have access to a PS3 anymore after a few months so it would be handy to pick up some of that stuff ahead of time.

NA region list. From that list, these PSone games need a PS3 transfer:
Arcade Hits: Shienryu
Arcade Hits: Sonic Wings Special
Art Camion Sugorokuden
Blockids
Burst Angel
Castlevania Chronicles
Cho Aniki
Cool Boarders
Dezaemon Plus!
Dezaemon Kids!
Finger Flashing
GaiaSeed
Galaxy Fight
International Track and Field
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legend of Dragoon
Lup*Salad
Makeruna Makendo 2
Metal Gear Solid
Money Idol Exchanger
Pandemonium
Rapid Angel
Silent Hill
Suikoden
Tall Unlimited
Unjammer Lammy
Zanac X Zanac

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The lag for Um Jammer Lammy is 100% not the PS3, it's your TV.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

I'm not 100% sure, just playing the PSP version of Parappa on PSP I was doing fine, COOL-ing every song, then I went to PS3 Unjammer and couldn't pass a song :(. Maybe the timing was just much more strict

Don't play Unjammer on PS3. I've been told that the input lag found in the PS3's emulation on top of the regular background latency on your HDTV will make it nigh impossible to play.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm out of town, so I'm wondering if it's possible to add DmC to my download queue and then it would download during it's nightly sync. I didn't leave my PS3 on when I left, so the only way it would download is if it did it when it automatically turns on at 3am tonight.

Yes, this works. If you have a huge queue of games to download/install I've noticed it sometimes won't complete all of them in one night, but your queue has to be pretty big.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Policenaut posted:

Don't play Unjammer on PS3. I've been told that the input lag found in the PS3's emulation on top of the regular background latency on your HDTV will make it nigh impossible to play.

It's pretty hard even without kneecapping yourself by playing it on an HDTV.

Buy a Trinitron, join the cool kids in the retro games thread.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone tried it out on the Vita at all?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Abu Dave posted:

I never liked the artstyle when they made it more anime-ish, if that makes sense.

Has Dino crisis 1 or 2 aged well at all?

For some reason this is currently being discussed in the RE thread, where it seems to be regarded more favourably.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Any Dino Crisis fans up in here? Figured there would be a lot of overlap here since the series was basically Resident Evil with dinosaurs (a good thing if you ask me).

I recently replayed DC1 for the first time in over fifteen years and loved it. Straight up LOVED IT. Really wasn't expecting to with childhood nostalgia being what it is, but the game was just fantastic and held up really well. I didn't remember how strongly it emphasized the puzzles or how I got through those as a kid (no way I didn't look up some of those solutions on gamefaqs), but those were really enjoyable and occasionally challenging without ever being absurdly cryptic enough that you couldn't solve them by thinking for a few minutes about variations (mostly those last few door combos). The ending was sort of weak without a "real" bossfight but I looked it up and turns out I stumbled upon the 3rd "secret" ending which didn't have the fight I remembered.

Started on DC 2, and it looks like I remembered even less about this one. The emphasis on action is a bit disappointing, but it's still been pretty good so far. The character switching is nice (thought the first one had that but I guess I got some memories crossed). I'm not that fond of Dylan yet, but Regina still owns. Such a great protagonist I always forget about. Its a shame this series hasn't been followed up on after the second game already had a shift towards RE4 style gameplay with points/merchants five years before that game even came out.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 8, 2014

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Counterpoint - UmJammer is so good that even a bit of lag won't take away from the need to play it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If you check your download list on the webstore, there should be a "download to PS3" button which will push the game through to your PS3's download queue. Then it should download when it turns on for the nightly auto updates. It may even install it automatically for you, but I don't know of it does that straight after downloading or if it does it in the next auto-update cycle.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Parkingtigers posted:

If you check your download list on the webstore, there should be a "download to PS3" button which will push the game through to your PS3's download queue. Then it should download when it turns on for the nightly auto updates. It may even install it automatically for you, but I don't know of it does that straight after downloading or if it does it in the next auto-update cycle.

It will install it if it has time I think. In my experience, a "2am-4am" power-on will turn it off at 4am, meaning it may take a few days to download and install.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Policenaut posted:

Wish I saw this - I never loving understood what the hell I was doing wrong by failing the first song over and over again.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

zenintrude posted:

As someone who was an adolescent during the PSX era and has recently been trying to play FFIX again, I'd have to disagree with this recommendation. The random battles in FFIX are possibly the worst of the PSX generation and there are annoying difficulty spikes (i.e. the battle with Beatrix if you don't know to grab Quina early) while FFVII is pretty much a walk in the park.

I'm in this boat too. FF9 is the only FF game in the entire franchise I couldn't finish (and that was when it was new and still in its prime), because every 4 steps was a random encounter that took like 25 seconds to load. I'm a patient man too. I mean christ, I even managed to finish FFII. The random encounter rate combined with how long every battle took to load was just the worst thing ever. I remember every battle started with a panoramic view of spinning cameras and everyone involved in the fight. That got old so fast. Maybe fast-loading option on ps3/vita(?) helps with that?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 8, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Policenaut posted:

I've only been able to play it on my PS3 with my Asus V238H monitor, because the lag is horrendous.

It plays awesome on Vita though!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just played through Lammy over the weekend with two players. It's definitely different than not playing on an HDTV, but you can still finish it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

With practice, you could adjust your timing so you press the button a tiny bit before you're meant to.

Unfortunately, I'm still terrible at Parappa and Space Channel 5 because of how unforgiving their timing is. I have to watch videos of them to listen to all the catchy music.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I'm in this boat too. FF9 is the only FF game in the entire franchise I couldn't finish (and that was when it was new and still in its prime), because every 4 steps was a random encounter that took like 25 seconds to load. I'm a patient man too. I mean christ, I even managed to finish FFII. The random encounter rate combined with how long every battle took to load was just the worst thing ever. I remember every battle started with a panoramic view of spinning cameras and everyone involved in the fight. That got old so fast. Maybe fast-loading option on ps3/vita(?) helps with that?

No, fast-loading doesn't help. You can't even fast forward that poo poo on an emulator!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF9 is my favorite Final Fantasy I can never replay and it's almost entirely because of that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, I really want to replay FF9 because it's my favorite of the PS1 trilogy but holy poo poo the loading.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It's even worse on the PAL version, since the entire game runs at 5/6th speed on top of the awful loading screens. It doesn't help that the maximum battle speed is so slow compared to Final Fantasy VII, so the entire game feels like moving through treacle.

I want to like it, since I'm almost at the end of disc one, but holy poo poo. I wish I had something like enc-none just so I don't have to put up with this unbearably slow battle system and load screens.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The last time I played FF9 I transferred my save between a homebrewed PSP and the PS3 and the loading didn't bother me much. I'm not sure how much faster it was on the PSP compared to the PS3.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Policenaut posted:

I tried playing PaRappa on my PS3, and this explains everything!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I never had any problems with FF9s load times, even when I replayed it a few months back. Plus, even with the load times it's still the best one of the PSX-era. FF7 has not aged well and FF8 was horrifically flawed.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
EU store update

Link to all new releases in webstore
Link to PS Blog post with more details

All links go to UK webstore unless otherwise noted. Log in with your regional EU PSN account to switch to your local region and currency.

New PlayStation Plus Offers

quote:

Free
PS4 game Don't Starve: Console Edition

PS+ Discounts
Additional PS+ discounts in new sales in the January Sale, listed below

PS+ offers going away next week
▼ Additional PS+ discounts in sales going away next week in the January sale, listed below

New Games, Bundles, and Demos

quote:

PS4 Game
Don't Starve: Console Edition £11.99/€13.99/AU$20.15 / ✚Free

PS3 Games
AFL Live 2 AU$49.95 3.1 GB (link to Australian store, Australia and New Zealand only)
Call of Duty Ghosts and Season Pass Bundle £93.99/€109.99/AU$156.95 11.3 GB
MotoGP 13 Compact £11.99/€14.99/AU$21.95 4.1 GB
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief £19.99/€29.99/AU$39.95 8.3 GB

Vita Games
A-men AU$17.95 (link to Australian store, now available in Australia and New Zealand)
Furmins + StarDrone Bundle £7.29/€8.99/AU$13.25 172 MB
International Snooker €2.49/AU$3.65 (link to Australian store, now available in Australia, New Zealand, and Switzerland)
King Oddball £3.69/€4.49/AU$6.65 20 MB
Mahjong World Contest £3.99/€4.99 /AU$7.35 148 MB

Vita Demos
A-men 202 MB (link to Australian store, click on Try Free Demo button, now available in Australia and New Zealand)
King Oddball 20 MB (click on Try Free Demo button)

Other games now available in other regions, from the blog:

quote:

Alien Spidy (Now available in Denmark, India, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, South Africa, Turkey)
Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (Now available in Russia)
Dollar Dash (Now available in Denmark, India, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, UAE)
International Snooker 2012 (PS3) (Now available in Switzerland)
Mugen Souls (Now available in Russia)
Port Royale 3 (Now available in Russia and South Africa)

New sales in the January Sale, from PS Blog. (link to sales section in webstore: PS3 Games | Vita Games):

quote:

DuckTales Remastered Was €14.99/AU$21.95/£11.99, now €8.99/AU$13.17/£7.19 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members, sale ends on 15 January

The rest of these games will be on sale until 22 January:
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist – Classic Edition Was €44.99/AU$66.95/£36.99, now €19.79/AU$27.69/£15.39 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members
DRIVER San Francisco – Not available in Bulgaria/Hungary/Qatar Was €14.99/AU$17.95/£10.99, now €4.94/AU$5.92/£3.62 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members
Far Cry 3 Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €14.99/AU$19.97/£9.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members
Rayman Legends (PS3) Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €20.09/AU$26.76/£13.39 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members
Rayman Legends (PS Vita) Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£24.99, now €20.09/AU$26.76/£16.74 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members

And these sales will end next week:

quote:

Dead Rising 2 Off The Record (Not available in Germany) Was €14.99/AU$17.95/£10.99, now €5.99/AU$7.18/£4.39 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Devil May Cry HD Collection Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €12.89/AU$17.17/£8.59 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
DmC Devil May Cry Was €24.99/AU$29.95/£19.99, now €12.49/AU$14.97/£9.99
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €14.99/AU$19.97/£9.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Lost Planet 3 Was €59.99/AU$89.95/£39.99, now €19.79/AU$29.68/£15.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Okami HD Was €13.99/AU$20.45/£10.99, now €9.93/AU$14.51/£7.80 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Remember Me Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €14.99/AU$19.97/£9.99
Resident Evil 6 Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €14.99/AU$19.97/£9.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Resident Evil Revelations Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €17.99/AU$23.97/£11.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Was €14.99/AU$17.95/£10.99, now €7.49/AU$8.97/£5.49 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3) Was €19.99/AU$29.95/£15.99, now €9.99/AU$14.97/£7.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS VITA) Was €44.99/AU$62.95/£39.99, now €19.79/AU$27.69/£17.59 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS Vita) Was €34.99/AU$47.95/£29.99, now €17.14/AU$23.49/£14.69 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus subscribers

Freebies for this week:
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag PS3 version: Initiates Reward (no PS4 version available)
WWE 2K14: Virgil 4 MB

Notes:

The blog post lists 2-game bundles of Rockstar PS2 Classics, but the store rep says that those have been cancelled for this week and will be released at a future date.

LittleBigPlanet games: New Year Fireworks Costumes were suppose to come out this week but didn't.

Odd pricing on an add-on in the UK store: For Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag: Illustrious Pirates Pack, the prices are £5.49/AU$10.35 for the PS3 version, but £5.99/AU$10.05 for the PS4 version. :confused: Both are €6.99.

This is the last week to pre-order the PS3 game Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD before it comes out next week. Pre-order prices are £11.99/€14.99/AU$22.46. The game might already be up for pre-load, as the listing is giving a file size of 2 GB.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 9, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some news found:

A bunch of places think that this site is where you sign up to get in a beta for PlayStation Now. I think it's just a sign-up form for emails for update news, but you never know if they'll slip in PSN codes for it or not.

For PS Now gameplay on a tablet or smart device, you'll still need a DualShock 3 to play. A DualShock 3 is also required for PS Now on supported Sony Bravia televisions.
From the same interview, there are no plans to make a streaming version of a game free if you own a disc or download version of the same game. It also sounds like they won't put up streaming PS4 games until they get PS3, PS2, and PSone streaming working.

WWE Network, which is actually a streaming network with video-on-demand, will be available as an app for PS3 and PS4 on or after February 24. The subscription is $9.99/month. All 12 WWE pay-per-views are included in the subscription, along with a bunch of specialty shows and tons of video on demand. For now you'll have to be in a 6-month commitment, probably to prevent people from subscribing a month, then cancelling afterward.

Slender: The Arrival will be released for PS3 on PSN this winter.
The press release also mentions online co-op for Double Dragon Neon, but this is only for the upcoming PC version, not the PS3 version.

There will be a PS4 version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2015, says the game's official Twitter account.

As posted in the NA store update, the new Aliens game Alien: Isolation, a first-person survival horror game, will come out on PS4 late this year.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 9, 2014

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Yechezkel posted:

NA region list. From that list, these PSone games need a PS3 transfer

You are awesome, thanks.

Also, I replayed FFIX on PS3 about a year ago and had no issue with the load times. FFVII is the big nostalgia one for me, but I genuinely think IX is the best and is probably my favourite in the whole series.

But then again I really like XII so what do I know.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Pegnose Pete posted:

Also, I replayed FFIX on PS3 about a year ago and had no issue with the load times. FFVII is the big nostalgia one for me, but I genuinely think IX is the best and is probably my favourite in the whole series.

But then again I really like XII so what do I know.

There is nothing wrong with this at all. Especially since there's a chance of a FF XII IZJS HD Remaster coming out if FF X/X-2 does well enough.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Volfogg posted:

There is nothing wrong with this at all. Especially since there's a chance of a FF XII IZJS HD Remaster coming out if FF X/X-2 does well enough.

I'll probably be picking up FFX/X-2 purely for nostalgia's sake (and because I never actually played X-2), but my real hope is that it leads to a remaster of XII. That was a genuinely fun game and one of the few previous gen games that I played multiple times on my PS3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

We're pretty much guaranteed to get FFXII International HD. The game is selling like crazy in Japan, the director behind the project has said he wants to play it on Vita, and the entire FFX/X-2 HD staff said they would love to do it. It's more or less just waiting until E3/TGS later this year to hear about it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
From Coupons:
Trade in $20 worth of games to Amazon, get a $20 bonus credit usable on PlayStation Digital Content on Amazon

The bonus credit will work on digital games, add-ons, and PS+ subscriptions. The bonus cannot be used on funding cards.

Promotion ends January 31.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ugh. Even for free, DmC is just bad. 30 minutes investment left me hating practically everything about it. Done, thanks.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Do we know anything with regards to how long PS+ for PS3 will be promoted (i.e. free games) now that the PS4 is released? I finally upgraded my hard drive and I'd hate for all that space to go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

me your dad posted:

Do we know anything with regards to how long PS+ for PS3 will be promoted (i.e. free games) now that the PS4 is released? I finally upgraded my hard drive and I'd hate for all that space to go to waste.

For as long as they want to support/produce the PS3, I'd imagine.

• Locked thread