Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The PS3 is supposed to last 10 years sooo November 2016 MARK IT DOWN

Giving out 2 PS3 games is probably a lot cheaper than a PS4 game (even if those are ~only indie titles~ right now) so they'll be around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Playstation 2 production only stopped this month after being made for 13 years. PS2 did not have a digital store that could be expected to generate revenue even after the PS3 came out.

I think you're safe with PS3 for a while, generally, and that PS+ promotion would be a dumb thing for them to cut off prematurely.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I wonder if, once Playstation Now is up and running, they'll start transitioning the free PS3 games to be through that rather than through the store so PS4 users will be able to play them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope they still do both. I'm still not sold on streaming games.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Armor-Piercing posted:

I wonder if, once Playstation Now is up and running, they'll start transitioning the free PS3 games to be through that rather than through the store so PS4 users will be able to play them.

Dear God no, the last thing I want is for them to replace Plus games with lagfest streamed games.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A question: since PS+ is required to play on-line on the PS4, would one need it to play FF XIV on top on the actual subscription? I do have PS+ anyway, so for me personally it's a moot point (no to mention PS4s are still nowhere to be seen here), but it'd be a bit weird to have one version having essentially two necessary subscriptions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subscription MMOs and F2P don't require Plus.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Szurumbur posted:

A question: since PS+ is required to play on-line on the PS4, would one need it to play FF XIV on top on the actual subscription? I do have PS+ anyway, so for me personally it's a moot point (no to mention PS4s are still nowhere to be seen here), but it'd be a bit weird to have one version having essentially two necessary subscriptions.

No.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ussed-and-more/

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
An FFXII International HD Vita release would make me cry. I gotta believe!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Thank God. I believe the Xbone/360 does require you to have a Gold account for anything online, so it's good to know that Sony didn't follow suit.

(You even need a Gold account to watch Netflix :wtc:)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

robodex posted:

Thank God. I believe the Xbone/360 does require you to have a Gold account for anything online, so it's good to know that Sony didn't follow suit.

(You even need a Gold account to watch Netflix :wtc:)

You can play FFXI on 360 without Gold.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

Not a chance. Free PS+ games are downloaded once and then available to the player at no additional cost to Sony, streaming those same games produces a constant cost. It just doesn't make any business sense.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks, that's good to know.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

To the people back a few pages wishing for Suikoden PS1 classics, Suikoden 1-2 has a PSP re-release package so it seems unlikely that they would release PS1 classics versions.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Ara posted:

To the people back a few pages wishing for Suikoden PS1 classics, Suikoden 1-2 has a PSP re-release package so it seems unlikely that they would release PS1 classics versions.

Except the PSP re-release is in Japanese.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ara posted:

A version that has no English release, and of which Suikoden 1 is already on PSN? What?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ara posted:

Also they already did put Suikoden 1 out on the PSN.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Ah sorry, I thought it came out in English.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I definitely notice a difference in load times on FF9 between PS3 and Vita (Vita is faster).

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pegnose Pete posted:

An FFXII International HD Vita release would make me cry. I gotta believe!

Just you wait. You'll get a weird FFXII-2.5 novel to go with it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Squallege posted:

As long as I don't get that instead I'm good.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Kind of tempted to figure out how to get 5 euro into my UK account to buy Driver:SF. I know it's had a mixed reaction but still, seems like a solid bet for ~$5.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Yechezkel posted:

From Coupons:
Trade in $20 worth of games to Amazon, get a $20 bonus credit usable on PlayStation Digital Content on Amazon

The bonus credit will work on digital games, add-ons, and PS+ subscriptions. The bonus cannot be used on funding cards.

Promotion ends January 31.

Well poo poo. I sent a trade-in on Dec 27th that was confirmed and processed on the 5th. I wonder if whining to Amazon customer service would help...

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Squallege posted:

We already got Revenant Wings. That's enough for me to no longer care about any continuity in FF12.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Unnecessary sequels have been going on as far back as the Final Fantasy V anime. I don't know what it's like, but the story is the last thing anyone should be interested in about V.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

Unnecessary sequels have been going on as far back as the Final Fantasy V anime. I don't know what it's like, but the story is the last thing anyone should be interested in about V.

Good thing it had almost nothing to do with the original's story, then!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Ape Agitator posted:

Kind of tempted to figure out how to get 5 euro into my UK account to buy Driver:SF. I know it's had a mixed reaction but still, seems like a solid bet for ~$5.

Do it. It is an amazing game if for nothing but careening around the city jumping over everything.

Get bored, switch to movie camera and see how far you can drive without totaling your car.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Shh, nobody remembers that and we try to keep it that way.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fix posted:

Ugh. Even for free, DmC is just bad. 30 minutes investment left me hating practically everything about it. Done, thanks.
What's it like to hate fun

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Syrinxx posted:

What's it like to hate fun

The thing about DmC is that it's neither a great game nor a terrible game, but is so perfectly mediocre that the entire range of human reactions become valid.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

The thing about DmC is that it's neither a great game nor a terrible game, but is so perfectly mediocre that the entire range of human reactions become valid.

No, this is 2014; only superlatives are acceptable descriptors for anything.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
As a fan of the series, I started playing DmC on hard mode. I find it very enjoyable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, this. I liked DmC overall, but it's a game with about as much to like as there is to dislike. In the end it will all depend about your preference. That being said, I think everyone that's getting the game owes it to themselves to at least play until the Raptor News boss.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
The OP said that PS4s are supposed to come with a $10 voucher and a PS+ trial card, but mine didn't have one in the box? Live in the USA and ordered from Amazon, is this a thing or did I just get shafted?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cute as heck posted:

The OP said that PS4s are supposed to come with a $10 voucher and a PS+ trial card, but mine didn't have one in the box? Live in the USA and ordered from Amazon, is this a thing or did I just get shafted?

It should be a 4-5 segment folding card in the bag with the manuals.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It should be a 4-5 segment folding card in the bag with the manuals.
Yeah, all I have is 2 quick start guides (EN and FR) and the safety guide.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was only a launch promotion, or at least their initial batch of consoles.

Don't take it as gospel, but every article that talked about it made it sound like it was a launch bonus.
VVVVVVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 10, 2014

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

abagofcheetos posted:

I think it was only a launch promotion, or at least their initial batch of consoles.

Ah, oki doki. Thanks ya'll!

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

Cute as heck posted:

Yeah, all I have is 2 quick start guides (EN and FR) and the safety guide.

I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and it was the same way. Original seal on the box too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ape Agitator posted:

Well, if you bought a Euro code, it won't work. UK accounts use £s. :v:

I understand that GAME's UK website will let anyone buy PSN (and Xbox) money in £s.

• Locked thread