Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The last thread was really old and since nobody else made a thread here's the ALL NEW COMIC VIDEO GAME THREAD. Thankfully for all involved video game adaptations of comics are actually pretty good at the moment so you can usually end up with something decent without having to look too hard.

UPCOMING RELEASES
As more information is available I'll update the below. For ease I'm ignoring iPhone and Flash games in the OP.

The Walking Dead: Season 2
Season 1 of The Walking Dead from Telltale is probably the best thing to come from the property and Season 2 is currently chugging along with the same quality. Episode 1 was release late last year with the remaining episodes to be released over the next few months. It's available for pretty much every system that isn't Nintendo.

The Wolf Among Us
Following on from the success of The Walking Dead Telltale have taken Fables and given it the fancy adventure/quick time game update. Again it's probably the best thing to come from the series and will be released over the next few months for everything that isn't a Nintendo console.

Batman: Arkham Origins - DLC
Batman: Arkham Origins will be getting some new single player story DLC in 2014 to bridge the gap until the next game is officially announced. Details are limited at the moment but it looks to be Mr. Freeze related.

New Rocksteady Batman Game
You know it's coming, I know it's coming. All rumours point to Rocksteady announcing a next Gen Batman game possibly for release at the end of the year. Details are scarce but it may branch out to the rest of the DC Universe and Kevin Conroy is probably back.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
A new film means a new video game. As Activision runs out it's licensing deal with Marvel you can pretty much expect more of the same though a lot of people seemed to enjoy the first Amazing Spider-Man game so that might not be too bad.

RECENT RELEASES
Ignoring the still ongoing Telltale games there have been a number of video games released in the last year or so.

Batman: Arkham Origins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pnK8akbd2M
The non Rocksteady Batman game. A prequel game set around the first interactions between Batman and The Joker the game pretty much gives you more Batman. Light on originality, if you have played Arkham Asylum and Arkham City to death and are looking for more of the same this is exactly it.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLxmeIPITjA
A portable Arkham game that's also a Metroidvania from some of the people that worked on Metroid Prime. It should have been great. Should have been. While not terrible it doesn't really justify not just getting the console version instead.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPEfHlC1IA

The nine millionth Lego game. Have you every wanted to play as pretty much any character in the Marvel Universe? Well this is your chance. For the most part if you've played one Lego game you've played them all but LEGO Marvel Super Heroes has the added bonus of throwing pretty much every hero at you and given you a chunk of collectables and Easter eggs to collect in an open world. There's even more characters on the way with the Asgard aka Thor 2 Characters pack on the way.

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYCoiTwU6yw

As with the LEGO games if you've played one you've pretty much played them all but Scribblenauts Unmasked let's you use nearly any character from DC as well as create your own. Want to see Darkseid and Superman punch it out? Want to use Stephanie Brown to solve every problem? Want to constantly just spawn The Main Man? All problems solved.

Injustice: Gods Among Us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFw0QOuIT2A

Improving greatly on Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, Injustice is pretty much what you expect. A very good DC version of Mortal Kombat 9 with a story as ridiculous and dumb as only NetherRealm can offer up. As with all fighting games there's already an "ultimate" version which includes all DLC.

Marvel Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jELGFhFRFj0

Marvel Heroes didn't start as a great game. The free to play Diablo-esque MMO has had a number of updates since launch and is a pretty fun dungeon crawler which is actually even worth putting in a few dollars to get some fancy costumes/characters. There's a dedicated Games thread for those looking for in depth character builds and even more characters and costumes on the way in future updates.

Deadpool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ee85buPiE

Let's get this out of the way Deadpool is not a good video game but in regards to Activision phoning it in it isn't as bad as X-Men: Destiny. Very short, very cheap looking and not a whole lot of fun gameplay wise you may find a cheap copy of it somewhere.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4soQ-rzB2w

Speaking of Activision phoning it in Out of the Shadows is a pretty ugly turtles beat em up which you can probably safely avoid unless you're really itching for turtles fun and even then maybe just bust out the SNES version of Turtles in Time.

Young Justice: Legacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEmE52tN9b8
A game arguably worthy of the tv show Young Justice is pretty much only worth it if you're really, really desperate for a Young Justice game. And somebody gives you a free copy.

FAQ/QUICK RECS

I would like to play the best Batman game!
Try Batman: Arkham Asylum. If you're still itching for more Batman: Arkham City is as good if not arguably better.

I would like to play the best Spider-Man game!
Opinions are split on this but try out Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Ultimate Spider-Man or The Amazing Spider-Man. At least one of those should fill your need to websling around a city.

I would like to play a good Superman game!
There are top men looking for a good Superman game and well...

I would like to play a good X-Men game!
Marvel Heroes should give you a good feel for going around punching bad dudes as X-Men. If you've got a PS2/Gamecube lying around X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends 2 are pretty much the best X-Men game. If you want to put your nostalgia to the test there's also X-Men: Arcade.

I would like to play the best Wolverine game!
Despite being attached to one of the worst superhero films X-Men Origins: Wolverine is actually the perfect Wolverine game and allows you to run around and bloodily hack apart bad guys.

I would like to play the best TMNT game!
Grab some friends, bust out your SNES and slam in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time cos other than that you're out of luck.

I like my fighting games with superheroes in them!
Both Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 should fill your Marvel Heroes fighting needs. As far as DC goes the earlier mentioned Injustice is as good as it gets.

I like shooters!
Despite negative reaction when it first came out Gotham City Imposters is a fun team based shooter if you want to play TF2 but with Batman knockoffs.

Hulk Smash!
You want to play The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and make boxing gloves out of cars.

Carnage is the greatest character and the 90's never ended!
From the creators of Ultimate Destruction comes Prototype. It's as close to a real Carnage game will ever exist as you glide around a city absorbing and cutting up people.

OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Js72d-LpEI

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Reserved.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

As usual let me know if you think there is something missing. As mentioned in the last thread a lot of Marvel licenses are expiring so if you're looking to get something digitally grab it while you can.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's probably worth mentioning that the handheld versions of Arkham Origins (Arkham Origins: Blackgate) is a Metroidvania Starring Batman. I haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to be a pretty ok game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The remake of Turtles in Time isn't actually available to buy anymore I think I should mention.

irlZaphod posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that the handheld versions of Arkham Origins (Arkham Origins: Blackgate) is a Metroidvania Starring Batman. I haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to be a pretty ok game.

It's really really not.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The remake of Turtles in Time isn't actually available to buy anymore I think I should mention.

It's really really not.
Well some people in the 3DS thread said it wasn't bad so YMMV.

e: Wait it's really really not good or it's really really not a Metroidvania?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Updated the OP.

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably for the best as it really wasn't a great version of the game.

irlZaphod posted:

It's more that it's just a mediocre game and there aren't really great, long Metroidvania's on the 3DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

It's a Metroidvania kind of but it really isn't a good one. I played the Vita version at least and it just has a bunch of awful design decisions. Like imaging having to 'scan" an object every single time you want to interact with it. To phrase it like Metroid, imagine if you had to pause and scan a missile door every time before you could shoot a missile to open it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Do any of the Lego Marvel console versions have online co-op? Or is it local only?

ImpAtom posted:

It's a Metroidvania kind of but it really isn't a good one. I played the Vita version at least and it just has a bunch of awful design decisions. Like imaging having to 'scan" an object every single time you want to interact with it. To phrase it like Metroid, imagine if you had to pause and scan a missile door every time before you could shoot a missile to open it.
Ah ok. That sounds quite painful actually. I wonder why they didn't just do it like Metroid Prime where you scanned something once and that was it (and it wasn't really mandatory for most things iirc).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Do any of the Lego Marvel console versions have online co-op? Or is it local only?

Local only.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I still say that Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is one of the top 3 superhero games of all time and was one of my
favorites from the GC/PS2/XBOX generation.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
As posted at the end of the last thread, all of Activision's Marvel games, save the Spider-Man movie tie-ins, have been delisted from digital stores. Looks like a bunch of Activision's licenses lapsed - possibly voluntarily, as they were supposed to retain the Spider-Man and X-Men licenses until 2017. Hoping that this comes in advance of Disney signing a big licensing deal (like they did with EA and Star Wars) with a publisher that will treat their IPs better.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I bet that sometime this year Marvel is going to roll out a Disney Infinity/Skylanders type game and Disney wants to get all their licenses in a row so that they can proceed to collect all the money on earth.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I bet that sometime this year Marvel is going to roll out a Disney Infinity/Skylanders type game and Disney wants to get all their licenses in a row so that they can proceed to collect all the money on earth.

It's not impossible, but I don't think Activision's licenses would have preempted anything of that ilk, if LEGO Marvel is anything to go by.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know how I missed this thread (well, its previous incarnation) for so long. Comic books and video games, what's not to love??

I wish they would make another Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. The first one was awesome. Never played the second one as it got poo poo reviews and was apparently a step back from the first one. A next-gen MUA would be terrific.

I know it's not an objectively good game but I had a lot of fun with the Deadpool game. It was quite challenging on the hardest difficulty level, especially the balls-hard final battle which I couldn't beat for two days until I figured out how to cheese it. I actually enjoyed the game enough where I ended up getting all the achievements for it, only the second game I've ever done that for. If you can pick it up for $10-15, it's not so bad.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

The Midniter posted:

I wish they would make another Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. The first one was awesome. Never played the second one as it got poo poo reviews and was apparently a step back from the first one. A next-gen MUA would be terrific.

Well then, have I got good news for you. Marvel Heroes will certainly itch that scratch that you've got for a new M:UA. You should go check it out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eckertmania posted:

Well then, have I got good news for you. Marvel Heroes will certainly itch that scratch that you've got for a new M:UA. You should go check it out.

Ah, sadly, I am a console peasant and don't even currently own a PC.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

You may like Lego Marvel then. I'd say to at least give the demo a shot.

And yeah Ultimate Alliance 2 is a gigantic step down from the first but might be worth it if you can get a really cheap copy for 5-10 buxs. It's kind of fun playing as the Thunderbolts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only odd thing is Lego Marvel is missing Scarlett Witch.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

As one of the few who didn't hate MUA2 (in fact, I liked it more than the original), I'm actually not feeling Marvel Heroes at all. Maybe it's because part of the joy of the MUA games were playing it couch co-op, I dunno.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FoneBone posted:

As posted at the end of the last thread, all of Activision's Marvel games, save the Spider-Man movie tie-ins, have been delisted from digital stores. Looks like a bunch of Activision's licenses lapsed - possibly voluntarily, as they were supposed to retain the Spider-Man and X-Men licenses until 2017. Hoping that this comes in advance of Disney signing a big licensing deal (like they did with EA and Star Wars) with a publisher that will treat their IPs better.

Not just Activision's, but Capcom's as well.

I have to imagine that Disney will re-up with Capcom, though. MVC4 would be a license to print money.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

twistedmentat posted:

The only odd thing is Lego Marvel is missing Scarlett Witch.

No Vision, either.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Not just Activision's, but Capcom's as well.

I have to imagine that Disney will re-up with Capcom, though. MVC4 would be a license to print money.

Right, that may well be related (though MvC Origins is apparently still available). However, Capcom (unlike Activision) had announced in advance that those games would be removed from sale.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I loved the X-Men Legends game and M:UA (to a lesser but still good extent, I loved M:UA2). I'd love to play Marvel Heroes but I have either a Mac, chromebook or console to play on and it's not available for anything but PC.

I have been digging Lego Marvel though, but I hate that if you play through the story, at the end you've only done like 15-20% of the game. I'm sure there are people that love that but the other 80-85% of the game is mostly just grind stuff. There's a couple 5-10 minute single room story missions after but you can't just get to them, you have to grind to get to them. Makes the game artificially longer.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Marvel Heroes is doing the internal beta thing for their Mac version right now and they're supposed to release it within the next couple months, if it goes well. You shouldn't have to wait too long.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The X-men Origins: Wolverine game was a pretty good third-person melee action game, in addition to being a better version of its story than the movie it was based on (like that was hard). The game dialed Logan's regeneration factor up to "just shy of Organic T-1000" for some outrageous you-vs-this-army action, had these hilarious slow-mo camera zooms whenever you (frequently and gorily) decapitated/disarmed an opponent, and the bombastic Sentinel level should scratch that itch nicely until DoFP comes out. And compared to the movie's versions of things, the boss fights are sublime.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Marvel Heroes is doing the internal beta thing for their Mac version right now and they're supposed to release it within the next couple months, if it goes well. You shouldn't have to wait too long.

Glad to hear this -- is it an internal beta or closed beta? is it something I can apply for?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really need to get Lego Marvel, I always loved those games; also Marvel released some fun little shorts based off the Legoverse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrolo3HdN9A

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is there a lot of information released about The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Considering that the story for the first game took place a month or so after the movie and Manhattan Island is a disaster zone after the end of the game I am very curious if this game will just ignore the previous one or actually continue on from the universe they built.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The X-men Origins: Wolverine game was a pretty good third-person melee action game, in addition to being a better version of its story than the movie it was based on (like that was hard). The game dialed Logan's regeneration factor up to "just shy of Organic T-1000" for some outrageous you-vs-this-army action, had these hilarious slow-mo camera zooms whenever you (frequently and gorily) decapitated/disarmed an opponent, and the bombastic Sentinel level should scratch that itch nicely until DoFP comes out. And compared to the movie's versions of things, the boss fights are sublime.

Goddamn gently caress that last Sentinel level in Wolverine Origins. Seriously, it was so bad, it's probably bugged as it's almost impossible to do the QTE for it and win. I know multiple people on Activision's old forums (where I was a regular) who almost broke their controllers trying to beat it because you have to press the buttons that loving hard for it to register.

Aces High posted:

is there a lot of information released about The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Considering that the story for the first game took place a month or so after the movie and Manhattan Island is a disaster zone after the end of the game I am very curious if this game will just ignore the previous one or actually continue on from the universe they built.

Right now, there's no new info that I've come across. It's pretty much a dry wasteland until probably March. That's how Activision does their games mostly. Release a "teaser trailer" and then absolutely nothing for months until another trailer and maybe a magazine nod.

Expect a HUGE explosion of information (containing pretty much every spoiler from the movie and game you'd ever want...including the end boss of the game in one of the trailers) around April and leading into May.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

As one of the few who didn't hate MUA2 (in fact, I liked it more than the original), I'm actually not feeling Marvel Heroes at all. Maybe it's because part of the joy of the MUA games were playing it couch co-op, I dunno.

I didn't hate MUA2, but I definitely felt it was an inferior sequel. Didn't help that I just really dislike Civil War as a whole so I think basing a game off that wasn't a good idea. But it was still an alright game...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Waterhaul posted:

Let's get this out of the way Deadpool is not a good video game but in regards to Activision phoning it in it isn't as bad as X-Men: Destiny.

To be fair to Activision: X-Men Destiny was a disaster you couldn't really pin on Activision. (If you have not read this story, you really ought to, it's amazing.)

Little Mac posted:

I knew I liked you. I preferred MUA2 to MUA, where the only REAL issue I had with the sequel was that the saves didn't track your choices so well (at least on the PS3 version). I kept trying to get the drat perks for diplomatic or aggressive responses and it wouldn't ever keep the bloody things straight if I turned off the console.

Meanwhile, Marvel Heroes... I dunno. Maybe it's burnout on the ARPG genre lately but I tried it after one of the major patches recently and it just still felt so drat dryyyyyyy. Those opening chapters, man. People keep telling me the game improves but I have to play through some real slogs to get there, and every time I try it with someone new I get told "NO YOU PICKED THE WRONG CHARACTER TO HAVE FUN" when I gripe about them not really feeling heroic and ugh. Screw it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is a better game, warts and all, than Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1, warts and all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dan Didio posted:

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is a better game, warts and all, than Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1, warts and all.

UA2 is still a friend and my's all time favorite drunken game. We beat it through the course of a few weekends while getting blackout drunk. Any time we did a fusion move, we'd yell FUSSSSIIIOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN at the top of our lungs and jump around the room, often putting couch cushions on our heads and punching the wall.

For that reason alone the game will always have a place in my heart.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Syrg Sapphire posted:

To be fair to Activision: X-Men Destiny was a disaster you couldn't really pin on Activision. (If you have not read this story, you really ought to, it's amazing.)

You weren't kidding. That's a hell of a story and an amazing read. It's like a step-by-step on what not to do when making a game.

While you can fault Activision for some of the lovely games they put out, you can't fully fault them with XMD. They picked a developer who's last game may have been mediocre but had a known label of quality. They gave them a tonne of slack until they couldn't anymore, and even then it sounds like they still were as accommodating as possible until the very end when they just got frustrated. They did everything a quality publisher would do thinking they'd have a really good game.

Outside of shovelware publishers, I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher basically telling a dev "whatever we have from you on this date is getting shipped, working or not" but I can't say I blame them at all for saying it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RevKrule posted:

You weren't kidding. That's a hell of a story and an amazing read. It's like a step-by-step on what not to do when making a game.

While you can fault Activision for some of the lovely games they put out, you can't fully fault them with XMD. They picked a developer who's last game may have been mediocre but had a known label of quality. They gave them a tonne of slack until they couldn't anymore, and even then it sounds like they still were as accommodating as possible until the very end when they just got frustrated. They did everything a quality publisher would do thinking they'd have a really good game.

Outside of shovelware publishers, I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher basically telling a dev "whatever we have from you on this date is getting shipped, working or not" but I can't say I blame them at all for saying it.

The worst part is that there's the kernel of a good idea in Destiny. The idea of playing as a newly emerged mutant, having to pick which side you feel has your interests at heart, gradually having your powers and costume evolve as you become a bigger part of the X-Men or Brotherhood... There's a solid Bioware-lite RPG framework there. What you get is a sub-par brawler cobbled together with bits and pieces left over from Too Human (He got the drat challenge rooms put in, though not explicitly in a boss fight, I don't think.)

And yes, this does mean I own Destiny. I had store credit and took a chance. I chose... poorly.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 3, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For the OP, might want to edit The Wolf Among Us section to mention that it's based on Fables (I think it was supposed to in the text section, but says The Wolf Among Us instead). And speaking of the game I'm very pleased with it so far. I only read the first five (I think) volumes of the comic before I couldn't stand any more, but I think it captures the spirit of those early comics really well, and I think their Bigby is perfect. I'm hoping that if it does well enough Telltale might do a game based on the Cinderella spinoffs next, since I think that sort of spoof theme would be perfect for them.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
If you haven't already, you NEED to play "The Punisher". It's Xbox 360 compatible and still looks and plays great today. The gameplay is great, and the storyline is absolutely perfect.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Jace Madan posted:

If you haven't already, you NEED to play "The Punisher". It's Xbox 360 compatible and still looks and plays great today.

There was a PC release as well... I wonder if anyone ever patched it to not punish you for executions.

The game had all these unique executions set up, but actually using any of them caused you to LOSE points. If I recall correctly, the game wasn't even going to get an M rating unless they made the executions black and white (pretty cool) and punished the player for using them (not cool).

Still a really fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fumaofthelake posted:

There was a PC release as well... I wonder if anyone ever patched it to not punish you for executions.

The game had all these unique executions set up, but actually using any of them caused you to LOSE points. If I recall correctly, the game wasn't even going to get an M rating unless they made the executions black and white (pretty cool) and punished the player for using them (not cool).

Still a really fun game.

They did, eventually all the censorship fixes (full-color executions, no camera turn-away from executions, no point loss for executions) were bundled into one megapatch. I think I still have it if anyone's interested.

• Locked thread