Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I always hated about MUA2 was how they only gave characters 1 alternate costume and it was usually garbage. Unlike MUA1 where everyone had 4 costumes altogether and one of the costumes was always different version of that same character. Thor had Beta Ray Bill, Captain America had US Agent and so on. The best one was how Magneto had an alternate Xorn costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I always hated about MUA2 was how they only gave characters 1 alternate costume and it was usually garbage. Unlike MUA1 where everyone had 4 costumes altogether and one of the costumes was always different version of that same character. Thor had Beta Ray Bill, Captain America had US Agent and so on. The best one was how Magneto had an alternate Xorn costume.

Also Spider-Woman had Spider-Girl as an alternate for...reasons. (I used it all the time once I had it).

I liked both MUA1 and MUA2, but I've lost my MUA1 disc. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This was just posted to the ASM 2 Video Game Facebook page.

Most of the comments consist of "Why are the blues so bright?" and "Is that Shocker?".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Most of the comments consist of "Why are the blues so bright?" and "Is that Shocker?".

"Why is my videogame based on comic book characters so colorful?" :rolleye: At least the ground action looks pretty good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

This looks good... but after Edge of Time and Amazing 1 i'm just gonna wait for this to get a few price cuts before playing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Disgraceful.

It's clearly Ox from The Enforcers :colbert:

Also in comic book talk I finally played the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and it's pretty good. Not as great as The Walking Dead from Telltale was, the action scenes in particular aren't great, but it sets up a nice noir story and knowing nothing about Fables the end scene twist/set up for the next episode was a good hook.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's a stronger first episode than either season of Walking Dead, but goddamn taking four months to put out the follow-up. It should be out tomorrow, at least.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's a stronger first episode than either season of Walking Dead, but goddamn taking four months to put out the follow-up. It should be out tomorrow, at least.

Yeah can't argue with that, probably not fair to judge episode one with comparison to an entire season. As much as I love The Walking Dead it's first episode wasn't exactly stellar given it's ridiculous "batteries puzzle".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah can't argue with that, probably not fair to judge episode one with comparison to an entire season. As much as I love The Walking Dead it's first episode wasn't exactly stellar given it's ridiculous "batteries puzzle".

Actually, I think it was a very smart thing that they put that specific puzzle in there. You have limited resources and you are trying to save as many people as you can. Now you are presented with a grown woman who doesn't know that a battery powered device requires batteries, how to "install" said batteries, and can't follow written directions ON THE THING ITSELF to turn it on. I don't think she's going to be bringing a lot to the table in terms of helping out other survivors.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Fables episode 2 is out, and I thought it was amazing. If they keep this up, I defintely think they'll outdo The Walking Dead.

It has such a great atmosphere - the art direction, the sound design, the colourization, the pacing of the dialogue, even the cinematography. There are some clumsy moments, but compared to most video games this is on a whole other level. Even compared to the comic, there's just such a strong identity here.

I really love the just constant pervasive feeling of dread throughout. That part with the memory wipe spell in the beginning gave me chills. It emphasizes my favourite parts of the comic, which I admittedly love despite itself; just how hosed up and regressive the Fables society really is. This game throws dark, man. In fact I'd say we're firmly in the horror genre now, it almost feels like a spiritual successor to something like Vampire: The Masquerade in tone.

This format is really a perfect fit for the Vertigo style. Imagine if they made a series based on Sandman or American Vampire. Goddamn, that would rule.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At this point, I assume their 'out' for the Game of Thrones game not impacting the show's narrative will be every single character in the game dying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

At this point, I assume their 'out' for the Game of Thrones game not impacting the show's narrative will be every single character in the game dying.

It's non-canon because it allows for making the right decision.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, Fables episode 2 is out, and I thought it was amazing. If they keep this up, I defintely think they'll outdo The Walking Dead.

It has such a great atmosphere - the art direction, the sound design, the colourization, the pacing of the dialogue, even the cinematography. There are some clumsy moments, but compared to most video games this is on a whole other level. Even compared to the comic, there's just such a strong identity here.

I really love the just constant pervasive feeling of dread throughout. That part with the memory wipe spell in the beginning gave me chills. It emphasizes my favourite parts of the comic, which I admittedly love despite itself; just how hosed up and regressive the Fables society really is. This game throws dark, man. In fact I'd say we're firmly in the horror genre now, it almost feels like a spiritual successor to something like Vampire: The Masquerade in tone.

This format is really a perfect fit for the Vertigo style. Imagine if they made a series based on Sandman or American Vampire. Goddamn, that would rule.

xbox or PC? My 360 still has episode 2 listed as "coming soon".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

xbox or PC? My 360 still has episode 2 listed as "coming soon".

Today for PC and PS3 in NA. Tomorrow for 360 and EU PS3.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Weird, I thought new games went up on Live Tuesdays.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, episode finished, and it's good, and kind of nice that they zigged instead of zagging with the Snow White thing, although as has been noted in the Games thread, it does raise issues for the mystery element, considering it means Telltale can cheat the reveal. And as someone who stopped reading Fables before even the Adversary arc ended, I'm constantly stunned by how they've found MAJOR characters Willingham hasn't touched. And on that note, I'm going to crosspost from my comment in the other thread, regarding one of those characters, specifically, The Little Mermaid

One neat detail that made sense once her identity was revealed was (club spoilers)Nerissa's stripping/pole-dancing. When you enter the club, she's kind of swaying her legs and holding on to the pole behind her. She's moving like she would've with her tail. Which makes double-sense, considering it's probably the most naturally 'sexy' thing she can think of, and walking around is supposed to be painful for her, so of course she'd try to keep her feet off the floor.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd really like an Astro City game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There's speculation Activision might be about to lose the Walking Dead (TV) license, given the sudden 80% off deal on the game on Steam (akin to the sudden fire sale on Deadpool before that got pulled).

On the other hand, this game is loving dire, so don't go near it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Activision, their final Spider-Man game just got another image thrown up on their Facebook:

Comments are less complaining about the colors now and more "Are those PS3 graphics?" "No, they're Wii. PS3 and 360 would be MUCH better." "I'm getting a feeling that the PS4 graphics will be the best!"

I don't think anyone has the heart to say "It's a crossplatform game. They developed it on the last gen and ported UP, not down. There won't be anything special in the PS4/Xbox One version." but hey, at least it's not "He's too bright!" :v:

If anyone's wanting more information on the game before buying it, this is Activision's typical "dry spell" period. Come late March or early April, they'll do a huge media blitz where there's a huge explosion of images and trailers and interviews. Some of these (if not all) WILL spoil the ending to the game/movie so be careful if you care about that.

I'll probably stop posting stuff here about the game around then too because I'd like to try my best to go into the game blind with no hype or expectations. I seem to like games a bit better that way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's been an exceedingly long time since Activision made a Spider-man game worth getting excited about.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's been an exceedingly long time since Activision made a Spider-man game worth getting excited about.

Pretty much, but they always sell well when they launch. Spider-Man 3 was their best selling game for a while before the new Call of Duty dropped. The same for Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions (which REALLY did well), and yes, even Edge of Time. ASM 1 also did well.

It's why I'm sure that Marvel/Disney had to step in with this licensing thing. Spider-Man is one of Activision's cash cows and I have a hard time believing they'd just be ok with the license ending 3 years before it was originally going to.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty much, but they always sell well when they launch. Spider-Man 3 was their best selling game for a while before the new Call of Duty dropped. The same for Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions (which REALLY did well), and yes, even Edge of Time. ASM 1 also did well.

It's why I'm sure that Marvel/Disney had to step in with this licensing thing. Spider-Man is one of Activision's cash cows and I have a hard time believing they'd just be ok with the license ending 3 years before it was originally going to.

Where did you get any sales numbers for those games? The cumulative sales for ALL spder-man games ever seems to be listed at 8 million.

Spider-man 2 seems to be listed at 2 million. Christ, ASM sold 250k the first month... I guess these things do make a lot of money.

Robot_Rumpus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 11, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Where did you get any sales numbers for those games? The cumulative sales for ALL spder-man games ever seems to be listed at 8 million.

Spider-man 2 seems to be listed at 2 million. Christ, ASM sold 250k the first month... I guess these things do make a lot of money.

No sales numbers were given to me, but I've been friends with the admins of HeroHQ ever since the M:UA 1 VIP website days (I don't know the current admins/mods though, they changed up recently).

Spider-Man games are extremely popular, even more so than the X-Men. When X-Men Destiny and SM: Edge of Time were coming out, more people spent time on the EoT boards than on X-Men Destiny...especially once people figured out that X-Men Destiny was going to flop hard.

Whoever gets the Spidey license will have to do very, very well because they'll have a LOT of fans looking at their work. Hopefully Disney picks someone good...someone that's not EA.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

No sales numbers were given to me, but I've been friends with the admins of HeroHQ ever since the M:UA 1 VIP website days (I don't know the current admins/mods though, they changed up recently).

Spider-Man games are extremely popular, even more so than the X-Men. When X-Men Destiny and SM: Edge of Time were coming out, more people spent time on the EoT boards than on X-Men Destiny...especially once people figured out that X-Men Destiny was going to flop hard.

Whoever gets the Spidey license will have to do very, very well because they'll have a LOT of fans looking at their work. Hopefully Disney picks someone good...someone that's not EA.

Destiny was a shovelware product though. A broke developer cut every corner imaginable and you could tell every step of the way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Destiny was a shovelware product though. A broke developer cut every corner imaginable and you could tell every step of the way.

It didn't look so at first (when Activision did their "Here's a teaser trailer for a teaser trailer" they always do). Before XMD came out, people had clamored on the forums for a game that let you "be your own mutant" so people thought that's what was happening. Activision even put some developers from SK onto HeroHQ to answer questions but when Denis Dyack stated that he did not believe in giving trailers or interviews or any images before the release of a game and when the developers on the forums stopped coming on, people noticed it wasn't a good sign.

Some people mostly liked the game, but it just wasn't good and was clearly unfinished. That fault mostly lies on Silicon Knights (mostly on Denis himself) for bouncing around on ideas so late in the development stage so it was a literally unfinished game. That and Activision told them to finish whatever they had so they could release it. That all came up on Kotaku a few months after the game released.

On the forums, Activision pretty much has acted like the game never existed by removing the giant banner art from being the first thing you saw when you loaded the site and the hype for the game died down (what little hype it had). Activision really kinda cared more about Spider-Man anyway. For EoT, they got Josh Keaton to come on the forums and hang out for a week or two, that boosted the hype for that game pretty well.

DrWorm
Apr 22, 2003

They call me Dr. Worm. Good morning. How are you? I’m Dr. Worm.
I know, Kotaku, but it really is a fascinating read. (it wasn't written by one of their staff writers)

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

Basically, Silicon Knights had been coasting on how great "Eternal Darkness" was to boost their clout, then just pocketed publisher money and instead worked on a demo for Eternal Darkness 2 for as long as possible until Activision publicly called them out by releasing that teaser trailer.

Really, the final game represents less than a year's worth of development time by a company hemorrhaging staff like you wouldn't believe. It's remarkable that it was even playable at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I actually really respect whoever at Activision finally decided to call Dyack's bluff and declared a release date, along with the ultimatum that whatever SK delivered by that date would get shipped, regardless of how playable it was.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will launch on PS4, PS3, 360, One, Wii U, PC, and 3DS on April 29, 2014.

GameStop has an exclusive Costume Pack which includes:

• Cosmic Spider-Man
  • Iron Spider
  • Symbiote Spider-Man (not "Black Suit" from the movie, the actual comic version of the suit)
  • Spider-Man NOIR

Each suit has different combat bonuses and can show up on the Daily Bugle's front page in-game.

The Costume Pack will only be on PS3, PS4, 360, One, and PC.

However, since Activision no longer has the rights to digitally distribute Marvel content (except for this game), I'm wondering if it'll remain exclusive or if it'll re-appear as DLC later on.

Last time this happened with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, the DLC was removed permanently. Meaning anyone who didn't preorder Juggernaut from GameStop OR get the DLC, would never be able to use him outside of online.

Who knows.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

No Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider costume, no sale :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

No Kaine Scarlet Spider costume no sale :colbert:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk of more costumes so this most likely won't be the only ones. :v:

However, 90s Scarlet Spider has a good chance of showing up since he appeared in Shattered Dimensions. I think the Kaine Scarlet Spider was in Edge of Time too.

Beenox could just go all out and give EVERY costume they've ever used.

EDIT: Also a "walkthrough trailer" is supposedly coming soon.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 3, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

No Kaine Scarlet Spider costume no sale :colbert:

No not made by Activision no sale :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Speaking of Spider-Man games, how's Shattered Dimension's PC port?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's talk of more costumes so this most likely won't be the only ones. :v:

However, 90s Scarlet Spider has a good chance of showing up since he appeared in Shattered Dimensions. I think the Kaine Scarlet Spider was in Edge of Time too.

Beenox could just go all out and give EVERY costume they've ever used.

EDIT: Also a "walkthrough trailer" is supposedly coming soon.

Not sure on Edge of Time, but I definitely played most of Amazing 1 wearing the Kaine costume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

I'm still so incredibly spoiled by the first playstation game, which had like 20 alternate costumes with inherent combat bonuses and special powers. Every time a spidey game comes out and doesn't live up to that, it feels like they half-assed it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Edge of Time had a pretty huge number of costumes. Too bad the rest of the game was so half assed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm still so incredibly spoiled by the first playstation game, which had like 20 alternate costumes with inherent combat bonuses and special powers. Every time a spidey game comes out and doesn't live up to that, it feels like they half-assed it.

The symbiot suit had unlimited web fluid.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The symbiot suit had unlimited web fluid.

Unlimited web fluid plus a phosphorous webbing pickup was good times in those symbiote invasion levels later on. Burn you pepto bismol bastards, burn.

fake edit: they really need to bring back What If?! mode. To like, every game ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

McSpanky posted:

Unlimited web fluid plus a phosphorous webbing pickup was good times in those symbiote invasion levels later on. Burn you pepto bismol bastards, burn.

fake edit: they really need to bring back What If?! mode. To like, every game ever.

Bringing a What if mode to a Spider-man game is a bad idea. He dies horribly in 90% of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So apparently the next Batman game is going to be announced today. Batman: Arkham Knight

• Locked thread