Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

So apparently the next Batman game is going to be announced today. Batman: Arkham Knight

Is it being farmed out to a 3rd party again? Did not like Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We should know more tomorrow. My guess is it's Rocksteady and what they've been working on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing we know at this point for sure is that Kevin Conroy has something to do with it. He mentioned on Twitter around the time of Arkham Origins that he would be doing another Batman game but had to clarify himself that it WASN'T Origins because then people were suspecting he'd reprise his role again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, it's more likely a true sequel to the Arkham series with Origins filling the same role Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations filled, as in keeping the franchise yearly with slight modifications for cash while giving the real team time to make a new game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Really have to keep that Arkham name don't they. Yeah I know franchise and all but come on, it's already been 3 games with that drat title.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's their brand that seperates them from all the lovely Batman games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Really have to keep that Arkham name don't they. Yeah I know franchise and all but come on, it's already been 3 games with that drat title.

Hey, it works for the call of dutys. Wouldn't surprise me if RockSteady up and announces a Justice League game, and WB makes them call it Batman: Arkham Alliance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dan Didio posted:

That's their brand that seperates them from all the lovely Batman games.

AKA literally every Batman game ever made before Arkham Asylum. Yes, even the NES one.

Maybe someday Superman will have his first good game. Some day... (Obviously I'm not counting Injustice)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't care at this point, unless they do something radically different (like that silver age thing they teased). I thought Origins was garbage, and didn't like City enough to have a ton of faith in Rocksteady just doing another open world Batman game.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah the rumoured Silver Age Justice League stuff would be great or even if they threw in some Justice League characters to spice it up a bit. The horribleness around Catwoman aside I liked Arkham City a lot when you could just bounce around Gotham beating up goons and then deciding to take down a recognised bad guy like Hush or Deadshot. The games could use a bit more variety because after Asylum, City and Origins fancier more of the same isn't too appealing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I actually liked Catwoman. Not the best, but an alright change of pace once in a while.

Just got the Lego Marvel game cause I wanted some low impact chill fun. Know nothing about it but I already think it's been fairly creative.

vv: not sure what I missed, but whatever it was I blame being up at 6 am with a cold.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 4, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I actually liked Catwoman. Not the best, but an alright change of pace once in a while.

Whoosh.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Chinaman7000 posted:

Just got the Lego Marvel game cause I wanted some low impact chill fun. Know nothing about it but I already think it's been fairly creative.

I meant more the fact that her costume was terrible with her boobs hanging out and bad guys were constantly shouting bitch at her :sweatdrop:

But the levelling with Catwoman was really poorly implemented since playing it on hard you would level Batman up 80% and then be switched back to Catwoman who would have like two upgrades but fighting the same goons where it would end up being one/two hit kills.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Oh. Haha. I thought it was just a complaint about having to play kinda differently as her and deal with her upgrades too. I don't like the character art or design for pretty much anyone in the Arkham games.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 4, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Oh. Haha. I thought it was just a complaint about having to play kinda differently as her and deal with her upgrades too. I don't like the character art or design for pretty much anyone in the Arkham games.

Riddler looked cool but good God was it a pain to get through his story.

I can understand why Catwoman would be more limited in her arsenal compared to Batman but she really needs an "oh poo poo!" button when enemies open fire like Batman's smoke pellets.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

AKA literally every Batman game ever made before Arkham Asylum. Yes, even the NES one.

Maybe someday Superman will have his first good game. Some day... (Obviously I'm not counting Injustice)

I love the NES Batman game, dammit. And it's a game that's frequently a candidate for a vidja game speed run

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

NES Batman is awesome. Batman should be able to always punch people and they explode :colbert:

Also stuff has leaked and Batman: Arkham Knight is next gen only and Scarecrow is the main bad guy*.

*the bad guy will end up being The Joker. It's always the Joker.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oy, that doesn't sound exciting at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's bigger than the one in Games and I still can't tell what the Harley preorder thing is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hope they know what they're doing with the Batmobile driving element.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

That's bigger than the one in Games and I still can't tell what the Harley preorder thing is.

I'd presume it's either a challenge room skin or Harley becomes like Catwoman in City.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if a driveable Batmobile means we might finally get a full fledged Gotham to run around in. Instead of the gimped versions of the last two games. It was mostly okay in AC since that was supposed to be just a walled off section of town but in AO it was just stupid seeing as you were still arbitrarily stuck just in one area and they didn't have a good excuse for nobody on the streets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder if a driveable Batmobile means we might finally get a full fledged Gotham to run around in. Instead of the gimped versions of the last two games. It was mostly okay in AC since that was supposed to be just a walled off section of town but in AO it was just stupid seeing as you were still arbitrarily stuck just in one area and they didn't have a good excuse for nobody on the streets.

That's what Gameinformer says. Much larger Gotham with wider streets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this? posted:

You say gimped as if open cities in other games are always well done. When I think of open world metropolises I think of huge mostly desolate city streets with content spaced so far apart you have to drive to it. And that's my fear, that they've built Gotham around the Batmobile.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This is the one game I might pre-order if there's a pre-order bonus that lets me drive anything other than literally the worst batmobile ever made.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Best Batman game was the Spectrum Batman game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's the Gameinformer article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/04/april-cover-revealed-2014-1039752374.aspx

Not a whole lot there right now, but it has a picture of the weird Batmobile from the side.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^Also the trailer
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/04/bak-debut-trailer-90348602352.aspx

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 4, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Harley looks kind of weird and not really a fan of Scarecrow being the big bad of this game (the plot description sounds way too similar to Arkham War, actually) but the trailer looks cool as hell. I'm gonna play it until 2015 or later (since I need to get a PS4 first) anyways.

Unless they put Jason on the game, then it will be day one buy :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Harley's probably going to basically be Origins' Deathstroke or Asylum's Joker. Playable in the challenge rooms so you never really get comfortable with her moveset. That's what set Catwoman apart (and Robin to a lesser extent), you had the opportunity to run around and experiment in the open world.

On the other hand, if the whole pseudo-Titanfall 'jump in and out of the Batmobile while hitting sweet ramps' gimmick is possible in-game, then I'm down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be nice if they don't have you fight the same boss three times (Ie. Bane in Origins).

I thought Origins was better as the game went on, but it was still a lot worse than the Rocksteady games.

I liked how Arkham City took a more obscure but interesting villain and made him the main antagonist, instead of the Joker.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked how Arkham City took a more obscure but interesting villain and made him the main antagonist, instead of the Joker.

Yeah for like two scenes, until The Joker winds up being the main antagonist

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I just hope they re-do the Mr Freeze boss fight properly in this one, instead of the mess we got with Bane.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The fact that it appears to be next gen only and that we haven't seen any actual gameplay, and that they felt it was necessary to add a drive-able batmobile, makes this the least excited I've ever been for a Batman game.

Also, I just want to point out a little something. Riddler trophies. Remember those? Remember how there were about 300 of them strewn about in Arkham City? And that was too many for some people?

So now, you probably get a Gotham City that is the size of your average GTA tri-city game world. The last GTA I played was 4 and I think the collect-a-thon for that one was pigeons. 500 IIRC. Now imagine 500+ Riddler trophies. Or worse, only 100-200 trophies, but spread all over a GTA sized world.

And I really liked the puzzles in all three games.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

The fact that it appears to be next gen only and that we haven't seen any actual gameplay, and that they felt it was necessary to add a drive-able batmobile, makes this the least excited I've ever been for a Batman game.

Also, I just want to point out a little something. Riddler trophies. Remember those? Remember how there were about 300 of them strewn about in Arkham City? And that was too many for some people?

So now, you probably get a Gotham City that is the size of your average GTA tri-city game world. The last GTA I played was 4 and I think the collect-a-thon for that one was pigeons. 500 IIRC. Now imagine 500+ Riddler trophies. Or worse, only 100-200 trophies, but spread all over a GTA sized world.

It was 200 pigeons in GTAIV, so 100 less than Arkham City.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

CzarChasm posted:

I wouldn't fret too much over the no gameplay trailer, that's the way all Arkham games are. Remember the whole Hugo Strange sending SWAT dudes after Batman trailer they had for ages for City.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Has a Spider-man game ever had the Spider-mobile?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I loved both Asylum and City but held off on Origins due to 1) it not being by Rocksteady, and 2) XCOM EW came out around the same time and that sucked my life away. I was going to hold off on a GotY version with all the DLC packed in, and while I've read that it's not quite as good as Asylum/City were, is it really that bad? You've all got me wondering. If a GOTY version with all DLC came out for around $40, would it be worth it to play through?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man I didn't care too much but that trailer has me so hyped now...

CzarChasm posted:

There is no God :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man's movie game has 700 comic covers to collect. Every 10-20 pages, you unlock a full comic you could read. They were only slightly easy to collect since once you found one, you could be sure that 2 or 3 were nearby.

Rocksteady couldn't be THAT cruel though...could they? :ohdear:

• Locked thread