Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Midniter posted:

I loved both Asylum and City but held off on Origins due to 1) it not being by Rocksteady, and 2) XCOM EW came out around the same time and that sucked my life away. I was going to hold off on a GotY version with all the DLC packed in, and while I've read that it's not quite as good as Asylum/City were, is it really that bad? You've all got me wondering. If a GOTY version with all DLC came out for around $40, would it be worth it to play through?

It's not terrible really, it's just a weaker version of City. It all depends on how cheap you can get it and how much you like "more of the same". If you can get it for cheap and feel you won't be burned out on Batman games by the time Arkham Knight comes out there are worse things to spend money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Origins has it's problems (mostly that there are some really bad bugs, one or two game breaking ones/ ones that prevented DLC from being downloaded. That being said I think they patched most of those.)

But it's by no means a bad game. It's Arkham City again, and that's by no means a bad thing. The timing on the Combat feels different (this was reported a lot, but no concrete proof of it) but it's still the same great gameplay.
I will argue that it's got a better story than Arkham City (in my mind "Mob boss hires 8 super villains to kill Batman in the space of one night" is a perfectly fine story, as compared to the hodge podge of different elements we got in City.)
There are a load of good boss fights in Origins (Firefly, Bane and Deathstroke were all really fun fights.) Nothing as good as the Mr. Freeze boss fight from City, but I think the overall boss fights were better.

The Riddler stuff was there and I loved that. (Plus they had a load of other really cool side quests like the Spirit of Gotham quest.)
The actual Detective Stuff in Origins was Light Years ahead of anything in the previous games, and I hope that they carry that across to Arkham Knights.

And it had some fantastic dialogue/ cutscenes in the game. The story between Bruce and Alfred (and Batman and Gordon) was excellently done.
Like the game goes from big dramatic back and forths like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExA6FGH1KXU

To having a tiny, non-scripted sequence where you swing around Gotham, Alfred reports that it's turned midnight and they wish each other Merry Christmas.

So yeah I had a lot of fun playing Origins. And I hope that Rocksteady can combine the best bits from all the Batman games to deliver an ultimate Batman game...with properly done Batmobile driving fun. And good Detective puzzle solving.
Who knows, they may finally take the title of best Batman game from the Amiga Batman movie tie-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_loWZS9Jg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

The Riddler stuff was there and I loved that. (Plus they had a load of other really cool side quests like the Spirit of Gotham quest.)

While I agree with most of your post, I'd like to counterpoint with: gently caress the Riddler oh wait I'm sorry "ENIGMA" sidequest in Origins. It just really made me mad that there was no resolution there. Riddler gets away and the only thing you get for collecting all his poo poo is the revelation that *gasp* he was the Riddler, in case anyone hadn't figured that out like... from his introduction. In City you got to punch him, in Asylum, you got to hear cops take him down over the radio, just give me some catharsis for solving those puzzles. It wouldn't be breaking some sort of "continuity" to put Eddie in Arkham/Blackgate, I mean, it's not like Gotham doesn't have a jailbreak every other weekend that would put him back on the streets for the first game.

Oh, but I do really like the music in Origins. That remix of Carol of the Bells was great.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 4, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

While I agree with most of your post, I'd like to counterpoint with: gently caress the Riddler oh wait I'm sorry "ENIGMA" sidequest in Origins. It just really made me mad that there was no resolution there. Riddler gets away and the only thing you get for collecting all his poo poo is the revelation that *gasp* he was the Riddler, in case anyone hadn't figured that out like... from his introduction. In City you got to punch him, in Asylum, you got to hear cops take him down over the radio, just give me some catharsis for solving those puzzles. It wouldn't be breaking some sort of "continuity" to put Eddie in Arkham/Blackgate, I mean, it's not like Gotham doesn't have a jailbreak every other weekend that would put him back on the streets for the first game.

Oh, but I do really like the music in Origins. That remix of Carol of the Bells was great.

True, it would have been nice to have some full resolution to the Riddler stuff. Still he didn't get away 100% free. You do stop his Blackmail plot and you oust his Secret Identity, so he can't operate from within GCPD anymore.
Like perhaps they went in the direction that ending every game with you punching the Riddler in the dick, would have made it less satisfying each time. I don't agree with this view, but I am attempting to understand why they didn't put in a bigger payoff for that quest.

On the other hand, Origins did wisely include a cutscene where you could just keep pressing Square to punch the Joker in his stupid face. That was an incredibly cathartic sequence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Question IRL posted:

True, it would have been nice to have some full resolution to the Riddler stuff. Still he didn't get away 100% free. You do stop his Blackmail plot and you oust his Secret Identity, so he can't operate from within GCPD anymore.
Like perhaps they went in the direction that ending every game with you punching the Riddler in the dick, would have made it less satisfying each time. I don't agree with this view, but I am attempting to understand why they didn't put in a bigger payoff for that quest.

On the other hand, Origins did wisely include a cutscene where you could just keep pressing Square to punch the Joker in his stupid face. That was an incredibly cathartic sequence.

The thing with Enigma I saw it like they being tied to the previous depictions of the character by Rocksteady and therefore, gimped the story a little. Or maybe I'm just bitching for the bullshit they pulled on Bane at the end :argh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so pissed the rumour of the silver age Rocksteady follow up I've been pumped about for like, two years was a bunch of baloney :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Crossquoting a crosspost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cross posted from the PS4 thread:

poo poo from Game Informer Batman Preview:

NO MULTIPLAYER
3 Islands, 5 times the area of Gotham City
Streets wider for the Batmobile, which is an integrated part of the game (like gliding or the grapple)
Buildings generally taller, too
Better hang time, longer glides
Game set one year after Arkham City
Joker's death has shifted the balance of power (he's still dead)
Batman starts with his Arkham City suit but quickly gets into a more armor-plated, higher-ability suit
Gotham has been evacuated and only criminals remain
Kevin Conroy remains as Batman, all the other villains are still voices by their respective actors
50 dudes on screen at once
Individual raindrops run down Batman's cape and suit
Line launcher can be fired in mid-air to create a line between two buildings and instant perch point
All quickfire gadgets can be used during flight, in fact
Batman now uses weapons that he gets from counters, can beat thugs with a baseball bat until it breaks on their faces
A new throw counter that counters and throws a thug into another thug
Batman can summon the Batmobile and it drives to him remotely
Batmobile shoots EMP missiles that immobilize targets without harming occupants
Batman can eject from the Batmobile at full speed into a glide
"Arkham Knight" is actually the name of Batman's main rival in the game
Riddler challenges now include deadly races
Oracle exists in-game and can be visited
Batman can now chain stealth takedowns together, up to 3 times. So pop out of a grate and bam-bam-bam get three thugs
No loading screens

Sounds pretty good but it's Game Informer.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I am going to be soooo shocked when Joker is Arkham Knight.

And I just know those Riddler trophies are going to be awful to do or ridiculous to pin down on higher difficulties :negative:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just got an ad email from WB that confirms Harley will be 4 challenge maps.

Also says "THE EXPLOSIVE FINALE TO THE ARKHAM TRILOGY" which is kind of a weird gently caress you to whoever developed Origins

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
50 dudes? 50 dudes? Holy gently caress I am not good enough at AC combat for that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Opopanax posted:

Just got an ad email from WB that confirms Harley will be 4 challenge maps.

Also says "THE EXPLOSIVE FINALE TO THE ARKHAM TRILOGY" which is kind of a weird gently caress you to whoever developed Origins

To be fair, Origins is kind of a weird gently caress you to whoever played Origins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

*the bad guy will end up being The Joker. It's always the Joker.

I will seriously skip this game if I hear the loving Joker is in it again. Him biting it at the end of Arkham City kinda justified him hijacking the plot, even though it still kinda hurt the overall story, but then they did it again.

Opopanax posted:

Everyone knew Origins was a placeholder side-game, especially the devs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

50 dudes? 50 dudes? Holy gently caress I am not good enough at AC combat for that.

It sounds like a lot, but honestly Origins had a part where there were like 30 dudes, and it doesn't really make a ton of difference, since not everyone is going to be attacking at once. If they were, it would be the most bullshit thing ever designed.

Just, this sounds like it's going to be the exact same loving game as City, only larger, which is the opposite of what I want, since I don't think making the switch to open world added anything meaningful to the gameplay other than travel time and more pointless collectibles. Now there's going to be driving, too? That sounds awesome, you guys :thumbsup:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dear Warner Brothers, thank you for putting Oracle in the game.
Now please go one step further and include either Cassandra Caine or Stephanie Browne as Batgirl.
Yours Sincerely,
The Question IRL.

As for the open world elements, I think they added a huge amount to the game. Arkham Asylum is a fantastically atmospheric game.
But it's incredibly linear. City's open element allowed it to break away from that and put in the side quests along with a feeling that you were in a city with a thousand disasters all going off at once, and you were the only person who could stop them.

On top of that, Asylum ended up being a whole lot of "Batman runs down a corridor to another room." And backtracking to get a hidden trophy after you got a new gadget often meant minutes of just walking/ running.

City and Origins gave us the ability to grapple everywhere, speedily get to zones where hidden items were now accessible. And few feelings can top flying around, hearing some low-lives talk trash about you, only for you to drop into the middle of their group, hear them yell "It's the Bat!" and then you proceed to start snapping arms. That never gets old.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I actually liked how Asylum worked. It was like one of those Metroid/Castelvania type dealies I enjoy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Dear Warner Brothers, thank you for putting Oracle in the game.
Now please go one step further and include either Cassandra Caine or Stephanie Browne as Batgirl.
Yours Sincerely,
The Question IRL.

As for the open world elements, I think they added a huge amount to the game. Arkham Asylum is a fantastically atmospheric game.
But it's incredibly linear. City's open element allowed it to break away from that and put in the side quests along with a feeling that you were in a city with a thousand disasters all going off at once, and you were the only person who could stop them.

On top of that, Asylum ended up being a whole lot of "Batman runs down a corridor to another room." And backtracking to get a hidden trophy after you got a new gadget often meant minutes of just walking/ running.

City and Origins gave us the ability to grapple everywhere, speedily get to zones where hidden items were now accessible. And few feelings can top flying around, hearing some low-lives talk trash about you, only for you to drop into the middle of their group, hear them yell "It's the Bat!" and then you proceed to start snapping arms. That never gets old.

I don't know, I thought that got real loving old a couple of hours in, and then they did it all over again in Origins, where it got even older. No thanks, it's all just filler. I definitely prefer the tighter, more atmospheric experience of Asylum.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

quote:

Gotham has been evacuated and only criminals remain

Ah, there it is. A huge massive sprawling metropolis of... a ghost town. Kind of funny how deathmatch-y or arcade style the Arkham games generally are. Anything that moves is an enemy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lobok posted:

Ah, there it is. A huge massive sprawling metropolis of... a ghost town. Kind of funny how deathmatch-y or arcade style the Arkham games generally are. Anything that moves is an enemy.

They're beat em ups with really good stealth gameplay.

Anyways, I wouldn't want Batman to interact with civilians unless it's an Adam West or Brave and the Bold game. At least he'd come off really hammy trying to direct the people away from danger instead of being really distant.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Better have some alternate/unlockable Batmobiles in there, I wanna drive the poo poo out of the '66. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

It sounds like a lot, but honestly Origins had a part where there were like 30 dudes, and it doesn't really make a ton of difference, since not everyone is going to be attacking at once. If they were, it would be the most bullshit thing ever designed.

Just, this sounds like it's going to be the exact same loving game as City, only larger, which is the opposite of what I want, since I don't think making the switch to open world added anything meaningful to the gameplay other than travel time and more pointless collectibles. Now there's going to be driving, too? That sounds awesome, you guys :thumbsup:

Hell, one of my favourite set-pieces from City is Catwoman versus like 30 guys in the museum. And half the appeal of a good superhero game is feeling like the hero. Batman doesn't run down linear corridors, he stalks and patrols. It's why most Spider-Man games with strict levels feel a little off. It stops New York from being a character, and if you confine a Batman game, you're limiting how much Gotham's personality is on show.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sentinel Red posted:

Better have some alternate/unlockable Batmobiles in there, I wanna drive the poo poo out of the '66. :colbert:

It'll all be ok, as long as there's a TAS skin for the Batmobile.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the new Batmobile looks fine, its kind of a mix of the comic version and the Tumbler.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Scarecrow's cool and all, but after Origins, I have no interest in playing another edition of "Arkham City, but with new paint!". It sure will be exciting when the big twist at the end is that it was all The Joker all along again.

Edit: Maybe he'll show up with his face cut off, because that was a good plot line, right guys? Guys?

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 4, 2014

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
When Thomas Wayne was telling Bruce not to invest time in fast cars, was he actually telling Bruce this or the game designers? I ask this because most of the features revolving around the batmobile sound absolutely boring. Besides, what's the fun in riding the batmobile if the only reactions I'll get will be from random goons who'll shout variations of, "LOOK OUT IT'S THE BAT".

Also CGI trailers for video games with no gameplay haven't gotten me excited since 2007. This is no exception.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Crowetron posted:

Scarecrow's cool and all, but after Origins, I have no interest in playing another edition of "Arkham City, but with new paint!". It sure will be exciting when the big twist at the end is that it was all The Joker all along again.

Edit: Maybe he'll show up with his face cut off, because that was a good plot line, right guys? Guys?

I don't think it's fair to write it off when Orgins wasn't made by Rocksteady at all. It was the B team. Also I really doubt they will bring him against after what happen in City.

At least I really hope they don't do it. Call me optimistic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, one of my favourite set-pieces from City is Catwoman versus like 30 guys in the museum. And half the appeal of a good superhero game is feeling like the hero. Batman doesn't run down linear corridors, he stalks and patrols. It's why most Spider-Man games with strict levels feel a little off. It stops New York from being a character, and if you confine a Batman game, you're limiting how much Gotham's personality is on show.

I'd argue Gotham had no personality in City, though. It was just a bunch of foul talking thugs in-between "set piece from the comics". Also Asylum had plenty of stalking.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Where does it say Scarecrow is the main villain? I guess the scary voice over is what people are reading into? I had heard a rumor that it was going to be Hush.

Arkham Knight kind of works for him, maybe.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sturm posted:

Where does it say Scarecrow is the main villain? I guess the scary voice over is what people are reading into? I had heard a rumor that it was going to be Hush.

Arkham Knight kind of works for him, maybe.

WB posted:

Batman faces the ultimate threat against the city he is sworn to protect. The Scarecrow returns to unite an impressive roster of super villains, including Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, to destroy The Dark Knight forever. The game introduces Rocksteady's uniquely designed version of the Batmobile---drivable for the first time in the franchise. Batman: Arkham Knight offers gamers the ultimate and complete Batman experience as they tear through the streets and soar across the skyline of the entirety of Gotham City.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

When Thomas Wayne was telling Bruce not to invest time in fast cars, was he actually telling Bruce this or the game designers? I ask this because most of the features revolving around the batmobile sound absolutely boring. Besides, what's the fun in riding the batmobile if the only reactions I'll get will be from random goons who'll shout variations of, "LOOK OUT IT'S THE BAT".

Obviously the feature will be building up a shitload of speed then jumping out and grappling up some building to watch the Batmobile plow into some building, wrecking a bunch of thugs. You know, like the joy of wrecking cars in any open-world game, only with this one, it'll have the hi-larious part where the Batmobile never blows up, it just auto-stops itself like in the trailer, and mows down 10 guys but never kills them because it's Batman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Obviously the feature will be building up a shitload of speed then jumping out and grappling up some building to watch the Batmobile plow into some building, wrecking a bunch of thugs. You know, like the joy of wrecking cars in any open-world game, only with this one, it'll have the hi-larious part where the Batmobile never blows up, it just auto-stops itself like in the trailer, and mows down 10 guys but never kills them because it's Batman.

This the kind of stuff I was expecting from the Crackdown sequel: integrating the cars into the combat and building-leaping.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Shindragon posted:

I don't think it's fair to write it off when Orgins wasn't made by Rocksteady at all. It was the B team. Also I really doubt they will bring him against after what happen in City.

At least I really hope they don't do it. Call me optimistic.

Best case scenario, Joker never shows up, but between the fact that Harley's still around and the word "Batman" is in the title, they will still spend at least one whole subplot talking about him, with at least 3 flashback cut-scenes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

I'm hoping for you gliding down and then it just speeds in under you and you land in. Batman style

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Action Tortoise posted:

They're beat em ups with really good stealth gameplay.

...and with driving and an open world, though? I wouldn't put this in Double Dragon territory when it's clearly turning more into a Spider-Man or Crackdown.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, I'd rather have the Brave and the Bold batmobile and have it beat up guys in giant robot form rather than just getting the boring open world experience with hitting guys with my car.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lobok posted:

...and with driving and an open world, though? I wouldn't put this in Double Dragon territory when it's clearly turning more into a Spider-Man or Crackdown.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing with you I was just oversimplifying the games. They're beat 'em ups in an open world system. Beat 'em up combat has become a component of games nowadays instead of being the sole feature, just like stealth mechanics.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I hope the Batmobile is like the Titans from TitanFall
"Bruce, the Batmobile will be there in 10 seconds!"
"Batmobile is in defense mode!"
"Batmobile is in follow mode!"
More importantly I hope it goes up walls like in Batman Forever

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I'm hoping for you gliding down and then it just speeds in under you and you land in. Batman style

Hot drat, we need a modern TAS/BatB game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting frim the Batman Arkham thread.

Huge wealth of information here. Too much to copy/paste it all:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/452194/batman-arkham-knight-detailed-batmobile-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more

The PC version is going to be insane...they're truly making this for the new consoles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

goldenoreos posted:

Honestly, I'd rather have the Brave and the Bold batmobile and have it beat up guys in giant robot form rather than just getting the boring open world experience with hitting guys with my car.

Dammit I need to watch Brave and the Bold again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crowetron posted:

Best case scenario, Joker never shows up, but between the fact that Harley's still around and the word "Batman" is in the title, they will still spend at least one whole subplot talking about him, with at least 3 flashback cut-scenes.

Actually, totally flipping the double bird would be the best thing. Treat it kind of like a cross between the Hush missions in City, the idea of the Joker Gang from Beyond, and the little girl clayface episode of B:TAS.

There's a side mission where you encounter a small contingent of Joker thugs, like you would see random Penguin and Two-Face thugs in City. Except they aren't working for Harley. A cult of sorts has sprung up in the wake of the Joker's death, where he was seen as the true king of Gotham - Batman's greatest foe, and a giant middle finger to death itself.

You follow leads and investigate specific crimes that seem to point to a return of the Joker. Maybe a couple of eyewitness sightings, but from goons that are strung out on fear gas.

People start going nuts. Everyone knows that the Joker is dead. Twenty cops, plus the Commissioner himself saw Batman carry Joker's broken lifeless body out of the walled off city last year. But he's come back before, hasn't he? Every other time he's come back from certain death. Shady figures that look like Joker pop out of the shadows causing mayhem all over the city, and the trademark laugh seems to follow Batman wherever he goes.

Following leads brings you to some appropriately themed deathtrap where you are taunted (one last time?) by the Joker. Do the voice (Have Hamill record one last set of lines) and have the Joker watch as Batman has to escape.

The trap is a fake, the taunting is a recording, the Joker that watches Batman is some kind of anamatronic puppet. It's his last joke, a deathtrap that doesn't kill. One last laugh.

• Locked thread