Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Daigo Minami
FP/Refresh: 3/3 Hope: OOO

"I have secured...eyes elsewhere," he says uneasily, clearly not used to this 'not being there himself' thing. "If you could make their investigation into the matter easier, it would work out for all of us. Alternatively, if Your Majesty has the time, I will personally balance this month's council budget if you can secure more details from Lovelace that he would not allow us, as 'suspects.' Something is amiss, and he will tell you more than he will tell us." No title, even Principal. Hm.

The council budget is...a bone of contention. Nobody ever wants to do it, and it's usually assigned as a punishment; explaining to the school why $500 went toward "miscellaneous council goods," for example, for Kobushiyama to buy the newest Playstation for the council lounge on the school's dime. (Daigo personally can't see the difference between the Playstation 12 and the Playstation 13, but people swear up and down that the visuals are so much sharper.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

Jia breathes out briefly in place of swearing as she spots Azumi. Then she quietly starts darting from shadow to shadow around the edges of the room, trying to flank the straight-woman sukeban.

She's an obvious threat.

Threats to the Wudang are dealt with.
Words are just so much air; what matters is action.

She lurks in a shadow, ready to move. If words fail, there's always the fist...

Krysmbot KPrime, +//++2 = 4 Quick -> Sneaky to apply Flanked to Azumi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sebastian Albert

Sebastian, who had been quiet until now, speaks up. "Think about it, Kamiyama. We have things to do and you probably have things to do. The sooner we can clear our names, the sooner we can get out of detention and the sooner you can get back to...er...whatever it is you like to do. So how about it? Just let us look around for a bit."

Clever Approach
<Waffleman> !r fudge+2
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, +/-++2 = 3

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Azumi Kamiyama

"How did you even get here? ...Alright, alright, gently caress!" Azumi throws up her hands and grabs her bokken. "Fine. But only 'cause He'll get off my back if it's solved faster. And you'll owe me a favour. And I'm going with you. And it's gonna be fuckin' quick."

The door leads to a metal antechamber. There's not much here - just a bigger door behind a keypad and a camera, neither of which seem to be working. Azumi blows right through like it's nothing and into the Forbidden Sections proper.

Forbidden Sections

Secure, Contain, Protect; Everything Is Dangerous; Pretty Tantalising Though

The central part of this place is lined with shelves. Some of these tomes are actively dangerous, but a lot are just some old wizard's notes or books that publish information the Department of Magical Security censors from the general public. You could probably still read them just to be a rebel, but they're mostly dull and Azumi would hit you.

Every so often the shelves are broken up by doors. Some are wooden, some are steel, all are locked. They are marked with alphanumeric codes you don't know.

Azumi points across the main hall to a slightly ajar metal door. "He said it was that one. I think it's safe to go in."

Detention Hall

"Deal," Bobbi says. "I'll put the word out and talk to the Headmaster. I'll let you know as soon as I receive a reply."

Madoka leans on the window and grumbles. "Ask if she can find out why I'm here! Or if she can get a console in here. Maybe I could get my games and come back without anyone noticing..."

"You could if your legs worked," Fred says bluntly. "The chair stands out too much. How'd you do that, anyway?"

Madoka grips her chair a little tighter.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey
FP/Refresh 3/3 | Hope OOO

"Don't you know, Azumi? No jail can keep me locked up. I am an expert on escaping from detention." While she says this Laura immediately hides her burned hands behind her back, so as to not provide Azumi with proof that this might not be the case.

Upon entering the main hall, the girl's head turns and her eyes wander as she looks at all the things that the school has kept hidden here. All the things that students are not supposed to see, know about, or touch. Her hand reflexively reaches out to feel the spine of a black book on the shelf next to her. The feeling of forbidden knowledge stings a little bit. No, wait, that's just the feeling of irritating an injury.

Laura looks back at the others. Right now attention seems focused on that door. Maybe they wouldn't notice if she took a moment to sneak a peek at the other mysteries of the Forbidden Sections. With all of the grace and stealth of a teenager trying to shoplift, Laura lifts the book off the shelves and opens it up.

Being Sneaky to try and get some extra reading in without anybody noticing cause gently caress The System.
<Takanago> !r fudge+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, ++--+1 = 1

Takanago fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 5, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Aubrey Murphy FP XXO | Hope OOO | Passion X [Requisition Orders: XOOOO]

"Thanks Azumi! We definitely owe you one." Aubrey gives Azumi a quick hug, despite the other girl's probable protestations, then follows her inside. She takes a brief look around the antechamber, but her focus is on the room Azumi points out.

She nods, the pulls the scarf up over her face again and fishes a big black flashlight out of her bag. Aubrey flattens herself against the wall next to the door and slowly pushes it open, then shines the flashlight inside, checking the corners before she moves inside. Once she gets a good look at the place, she starts giving it a thorough examination, trying not to disturb anything too badly.

Careful look for clues (discover aspects?): 4dF+3 4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert FP: 2/3 Hope: OOO

Sebastian turns on his camera as he enters the Forbidden Section, hitting record and surveying his surroundings. "This way, we'll have something to show the others. Just tell me if you see anything suspicious, guys."

His attention then turns to the slightly open door. "That looks like it's our ticket. We should check it out."

Invoking This'll Make Great B-Roll! to get video evidence of the scene.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FP/Refresh: 2/3 Hope: OOO

Azumi throws the door closed behind her as she marches through the gate. Tom catches it just in time to get in behind the ones who presented themselves, then closes it much more quietly as he sneaks in. So this is what humans are so scared of? A bunch of dusty books and dusty shelves? Pfffft, this is nothing to be scared of! If it were a giant swirling vortex of eldritch energies that occasionally spat out cats and shantaks, maybe, but Zann made one of those in the music hall and she's still okay.

He sees one of the girls take a look at one of the books. Yeah, that's the spirit, Laura! Then he sees Azumi look her way with the bokken in hand. Nyat good! Without thinking he curls his hand into a fist--not the most familiar of actions--and scratches the knuckles of his hand across the nearest shelf's wood panels. Ordinarily he'd use his claws, but hey, no reason to give the Headmaster an ACTUAL reason to lock him up.

Let's try to quickly place the aspect "What was that noise?" to distract Azumi and give Laura some time.
[21:16:05] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[21:16:06] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /-+/+2 = 2

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I'll go ahead and tag that and pop my +1 up to a +3.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
<Krysmbot> Ettin, /+/+ = 2 so Laura wins! She can steal this book if she wants, which will give her an advantage with a free invoke, but if the wrong person catches her with it...

"Hey, who is that? Quit it," Azumi grumbles.

Laura grabs a book and finds a copy of A Study Of Iconographical Evolution Across The Silk Road With Reference To The Zanthu Tablets.

Skimming it suggests it's a book about how people from Europe and Asia traded occult knowledge and probably wrecked their lives with it. This is probably not the most riveting book Laura has read. Pretty pictures though!

Meanwhile, Inside

The first thing you notice: Paper lanterns all over the ceiling. They won't bite, though.

Along the walls of the paneled metal room are an old Chinese shrine cabinet, a heavy safe on an antique desk, a slightly newer-looking lockbox, a 1980s filing cabinet, and a modern but inert security camera above the door. An old carpet covers most of the central area.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 5, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

"A shrine... what is one of those doing in here? We have one at home..."

Jia looks at it curiously. "Tian, that is heaven, but what are the rest?"

She begins picking it over thoroughly. "Always treat these with respect. That is what my mother said."

KPrime, +-+-+2 = 2 clever to reveal something about the cabinet

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey

If the Forbidden Section was a trick by the Headmaster to use reverse psychology to get rebellious students to do a little extra learning, it almost worked. While looking through the totally-not-as-rad-as-she-thought-it-was book, Laura goes through various stages of excitement and disappointment, finally reaching acceptance as she skims all the way to the back cover. When she finishes, she closes the book, tucks it in the backside of her waistband, and hides it under her shirt. The book might not contain all of Lovelace's Darkest Secrets, but it's still worth something.

After pilfering the text, Laura follows the crowd into the Chinese room. "Oh, so is this what it's all about?" she asks, not quite sure herself. It's a neat room alright, but what in here could be the big deal? Ancient Chinese secret in the shrine perhaps? Well, looks like the Chinese girl would know. Something in the safe? Maybe. Something not in the safe anymore? Maybe that, instead. The filing cabinet? Probably not.

Laura stands in the front of the room, thinking about them all. If you really wanted to hide some extra-special dark secret in this room, where would you do it? Some of these containers are more likely than others, but... She finally looks down at her feet, and gives a small gasp as she instantly comes to a conclusion.

"Alright guys, move aside." She gestures for people to move to the sides of the room. "If there's a secret in this room, it's gotta be right... here!" Laura grabs the carpet and violently flips it over to reveal the floor space hidden underneath.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert FP: 2/3 Hope: OOO

Sebastian enters the Chinese room and goes once over the room with his camera. "Man, this place reminds me of Big Trouble in Little Innsmouth. So creepy. You think this might be the place that was mucked with? Doesn't look like anything's out of place."

As Laura flips up the carpet, Sebastian immediately jumps to the side of the room, almost dropping his camera. "Whoa! Watch it, this is expensive!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey Murphy FP XXO | Hope OOO | Passion X [Requisition Orders: XOOOO]

Aubrey skips away from the carpet and rolls her eyes at Laura, but her attention turns back to that antique desk and the safe upon it. She adjusts her gloves, then rifles through the desk's drawers and tries to handle on the safe.

"Did he tell you anything about what was in here, Azumi?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Still keeping out of Azumi's sight, Tom peeks through the ajar door, pressing one ear against the nearby wall as he looks at what little he can see. Paper lanterns...lots of paper lanterns...okay, this might be something better to keep out of sight. As Azumi enters the room behind the girls, he stalks forwards to see the rest of it. What is this place, nya? Some kind of...museum? Shrine? It kinda looks like something out of a Sarnath ruin. Maybe.

A few more moments of looking in from outside prove too much. This almost looks like something he'd find in the Dreamlands, and he wants a much better look! So he walks right on in. And then he locks eyes with Azumi.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Crime scene after I wake up! Daigo has suffered long enough though.

Detention Hall

Daigo hears scratching on the other side of the door, the sound of a post-it being carefully removed...

And then Konami proudly bursts the doors open and strides in.

"Got it!" She waves a satchel around. "Brought my console and everything. That's for later. Need help with anything, Daigo?"

You're free to go! :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
*wake up and be out all day

The Crime Scene

Azumi shrugs. "You think He tells me anything? He just said to watch the main entrwhere the gently caress did you come from."

Jia inspects the cabinet. The design is a little strange, but what really gets her attention is the symbols on the outside. Normally a shrine cabinet like this has a few symbols on it, summarising what the entity it's dedicated to is all about ("happiness", "determination", etc.). Some of these symbols are gibberish, and the others say things like "rule", "birth", and "ancient".

It was probably locked at some point, but it isn't now.

Jia reveals Shrine Of An Ancient One!

Laura flips the carpet over. Some dust, a few stray hairs and other unimportant bits of fluff drop onto the floor, and she also reveals a label attached to the carpet's underside:

quote:

PROPERTY OF MISKATONIC UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

G-M 258 Chinese rug, recovered from expedition, unknown meaning.

T. M. Freeborn, 1953.10.1

Aubrey opens things! The drawers are pretty empty, except for some old blank parchments and an antique calligraphy set. Everything has been tagged and numbered.

The safe opens easily. It has clearly been mandhandled recently. It's divided into two halves, and the bottom half contains only a few crumbling scraps of paper which suggest other papers used to be here. The contents of the upper half were opened and left behind, though:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert FP: 3/3 Hope: OOO

The film canisters immediately catch Sebastian's attention as he walks over to the safe. Good job, you've shown a film buff some old film and now he can't resist. "Oh my God, look at these. They're lovely. I wonder what's on them and why they're here. They're probably important."

Sebastian glances over to Azumi and turns to Aubrey, lowering his voice. "I could probably play these on the old projector in the cinema club room, but we're not gonna get them outta here as long as she's watching us. Someone's gotta keep her attention."

Compelling my passion I Think I Saw This In A Movie Once. Sebastian wants to see these films bad.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey

"Right... here."

An awkward silence fills the air as Laura's reveal is a bit less than impressive. "Aw come on!" She kicks the overturned carpet as if it has wronged her. "What's wrong with these people? This is totally where I would have hidden something cool. A magic circle, maybe, or a floor safe, or a hidden staircase down to the real hidden room... This sucks!" Laura crosses her arms and sighs as she is forced to reconcile her over-active imagination with reality. "Who the hell is T.M. Freeborn, anyway?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey Murphy FP XXO | Hope OOO | Passion O [Requisition Orders: XOOOO]

Aubrey sighs, then nods at Sebastian. She turns around, 'accidentally' shining her flashlight in Azumi's face. "Nothing in here. Not now, anyways. Hey, Azumi, can you help me with this filing cabinet?" She moves across the room to it, hooking the other girls arm as she goes by.

Sneaky approach to place the aspect Blinded By the Light on Azumi to distract her while Sebastian gets the film rolls.
[15:28] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/+++2 = 5
Also Careful approach the check out the cabinet while I'm at it.
[15:30] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /++++3 = 6

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Don't you knyow?" Tom smiles his cat smile at Azumi as he lazes into the shrine. "Cats go where they want!" Then he starts coughing as Laura kicks up some dust from the carpet. "*pffft* Nya, stop that! That was supposed to be my entranyce and you...!"

He hisses, sighs, and turns to the cabinet that has everybody else so interested. Then he turns back to Azumi and smiles again, perking up his ears to look taller and keep her eyes on him instead of Sebastian. "Well, Azumi? Sooner we open this thing, sooner we can figure out who did it, sooner we get of your hair, nya...?"

Tom's pretty much preening right now, so let's call this a Flashy attempt at distraction...Flashily keep Azumi's eyes elsewhere!: 4dF+1 0 Nya...

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

Jia bites her lip. On the one hand, opening random shrine cabinets at home never did anything except spray old dust everywhere if it was some stupid god no one liked. On the other hand, this is a forbidden shrine cabinet, which makes it different. The dust could be really old and awful, and that would be terrible.

So she does the sensible thing and stands off to the side and nudges it open with the tip of her foot, looking away as to not inhale terrible dust that is probably, like, as old as her dad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As the others work on distracting Azumi, Sebastian positions himself right in front of the safe and attempts to slip the film reels into his bag.

Sneaky approach to snag those film reels.
<Waffleman> !roll 4df+0
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, +++-+0 = 2

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 8, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Her Majesty Bobbi Shrewsbury of the Palace of the Soul

Bobbi finally finishes her meeting and texts Daigo, because sometimes you don't want to say sensitive information out loud.

quote:

Hello!
Sometime between 11PM and midnight, someone entered the Forbidden Sections, disabled the cameras and interfered with a shrine to a Chinese demon.
The Headmaster found a hacked keycard so he is assuming that is how they got in.
He didn't say why you're in Detention but some of you were seen nearby at the right time without an alibi.
Oh, and if detention doesn't work the Headmaster might get permission from Miskatonic to use a Truth spell tomorrow.
Good luck!!
PS: Don't tell everyone but they aren't investigating yet because they're still locking down the island

Keycards are issued to every student who needs to get into a restricted area - clubs get cards for their storage lockers, the Student Council gets cards for Council facilities, etc. New ones can be programmed in the Headmaster's office, the Computer Club's room or the Student Council lounge, and each group keeps a stack of spares around just in case. (Daigo and Konami have access to the Council one.)

If you have access to a computer with the software, it's not hard to program a blank "master" keycard that opens anything, or fiddle with the settings to make your personal keycard unlock areas it shouldn't. The latter is more popular because it's harder to catch. Hacked keycards shouldn't exist and everyone denies knowing anything about them, but people still get caught owning or trading once or twice a year.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami
FP: 2/3 Hope: OOO

A Truth spell, hm? That could be...bad news, for a number of reasons and a number of people. That in mind, Daigo thanks Konami, stuffs his phone back in his pocket, and slips out of the room to investigate. The library's most likely covered, so the next best thing, working from the information he has, is to check out the situation with the hacked card. He's no computer ace, but maybe there's a record somewhere of card creation or alteration.

Lovelace's office is right out, and he'd...rather not step into the domain of Jermyn if he has a choice, so the Council Lounge it is, for some investigation. Sinister, lordly investigation.

Using a Careful (+2) approach to check the council lounge systems for weirdness.

<Panic_at_Nabisco> !roll 4df+2
<Krysmbot> Panic_at_Nabisco, ///-+2 = 1
<Panic_at_Nabisco> i hate everything

Invoking Um, What Was That? to have no idea what he's doing, click some things, and stumble into more relevant information, bringing the roll up to 3.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Crime Scene

Aubrey places Blinded By the Light! Azumi tries to Cleverly spot Sebastian:
<Krysmbot> Ettin, -///+1 = 0 Nope!

While Sebastian stuffs the reel into his bag, Azumi moves with Aubrey to investigate the filing cabinet.

It is half-empty. Either it doesn't hold many files, or someone jacked a bunch of them. Aubrey can read a bunch, though, including one that looks full of diagrams of the shrine cabinet and very large warnings not to tamper with it.

She also finds a gold bracelet dropped in here.

Jia opens the shrine cabinet. It has probably been opened already - the decorative lock is unlocked, and the old dust seems pre-sprayed.

The interior walls of the cabinet have ancient symbols and talismans stuck to them. Sitting in the center of the cabinet is an elaborate, forearm-length black statue of a stylized kneeling man with a straw hat and ropy, branch-like limbs; if you squint it could be a statue of a holy man made by an idiot with a tree fetish. The statue sits on a round base, which almost overlaps a dust-free circle on the shelf beneath it.

There's also a name: "Shenshashen."

Meanwhile, Daigo heads to the Student Council's very restrained, necessary and not at all ridiculous rooms on the top floor of the club building.

Student Council Lounge

Aspects: Student Council Headquarters; A Little Ridiculous

Looks nice though.

Unfortunately, Daigo is headed to the tech office.

Council Tech Office

It's too bad Tech Officer Mojibake is in class because someone is going to have to answer for this antique-furniture-devouring technological wasteland one of these days. You're pretty sure most of this crap is in here just to make this place seem totally loving impenetrable. Whatever, though, you just need to borrow a computer for a sec.

Konami leans over Daigo's shoulder as he types. "You sure we shouldn't call Mojibake? No way we're gonna pull up the card records on our ow-- okay, you just pulled up the card records. I'll shut up."

The Council's card records are probably incomplete, but Daigo learns something interesting: Someone created a Suspicious New Keycard at the computer lab at lunchtime yesterday, but no other details were logged. It doesn't even have an official name or ID number. If nothing else, the computer club will be in massive trouble with Mei-Ling if it turns out they knew about it, so this could be leverage!

As well as creating that advantage, Daigo can poke around and choose one of these without taking much research time or rolling:

• Check two students' cards for recent alterations
• Check two students' cards for recent usage

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami
FP: 2/3 Hope: OOO

To be honest, Daigo hadn't really expected to be able to get the records. This room was a little bit like a black box he didn't open on account of it being loving terrifying, no thanks to Mojibake. Of course, when he used the trick his dad had taught him for dealing with computers...

("Remember, son. When it comes to computers, the best thing to do is open where the program files are kept and click for dear life until something sticks." The Minami clan: not techies. Not at all.)

...well, he'd found some weird freeware games Mojibake must have been playing in his spare time, and then he and Konami had sort of freaked out about why he'd opened "amtlib.dll" when that was clearly nothing good, and finally he'd found the records through a combination of trial-and-error and sheer dumb luck. He tried valiantly to hide how utterly mystified he was by the victory, and coughed.

"Of course, Commander. If I couldn't find the records when something dangerous happened, what kind of lord would I be? Let's continue investigating." He scoffs and starts looking through the history.

"If it's the computer club, then..." He pulls up the history of card changes for Fred Jermyn, and then one on Laura...for good measure. We all have our prejudices.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey

"Woah..." Laura stares at the interior of the shrine as it's opened. "Now this looks like some forbidden stuff. D'you guys think this might be like, haunted, or something?" She looks at everybody else like they've just gotten front row seats to a kick-rear end ghost story. Nothing in her tone or expression suggests concern with the possible great dangers that may have been unleashed.

"Look," she points to the the circular imprint in the dust. "Someone moved it. This is totally what the big deal is, isn't it."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey pulls out the bracelet and checks it over for inscriptions or anything, walking over to the others while she does so. "Yeah, I think that's what has everyone worked up. We should check that lockbox and then get out of here."

She pauses, then holds out the bracelet for everyone to see. "Does anyone recognize this?" She passes it around while she checks out the lockbox.

Careful examination of the bracelet
[17:25] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/+-+3 = 2
Careful examination of the newer lockbox
[17:26] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +//++3 = 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The cat smile turns into a cat frown, with droopy ears and tail, as Tom realizes that his distraction attempt isn't working on Azumi. Luckily, it doesn't need to, as she doesn't make too much of a fuss about opening the shrine cabinet! Smile, ears, and tail all perk up again!

"Nya, lemme see, lemme see," he says hurriedly as he peeks into the cabinet furtively. Bracelet, nyah. Dust, nyah. He does get a few quick and hopefully unnoted looks at the statue, though! The black stone and ropey arms look vaguely familiar... has he seen something like this in the Dreamlands? Something...Nyanlathotep-y?

Quickly and/or stealthily (same skill level) getting a look at that statue. Roll in a sec. Roll in rhod is +3.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Daigo

Fred is a junior member of the computer club, so it's not too surprising that he upgraded his card earlier in the year. It looks like it was supposed to be a routine thing to let Fred's card access the usual Computer Club rooms, but he also added most of the club rooms, the Locker Halls, most doors in Dunwich Hall (where you sleep), the Swimming Pool and the Science Block. He didn't feel the need to give himself access anywhere restricted to the Council, teachers or Miskatonic staff.

Laura's card has all-access privileges! They were sneakily added like a month ago by junior club member Dudley Buffington.

Crime Scene

Aubrey doesn't recognise the bling - it looks generic enough that it could belong to anyone.

The lockbox contains someone's personal possessions. They're super old - there's an ancient film camera, two sets of nice 1950s suits, some old wallets, a suitcase packed with things people in the 1950s thought you should take on a trip, and a fedora. Everything has been tagged and left to rot.

The statue doesn't ring any bells for Tom, but the statue is made of specially-treated jade which seems magical to Tom's senses. The statue is dead and inert now, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian walks over to the lockbox, documenting the contents with his own camera. "Well, now we know where the reel came from. That's a beaut, though. Real classic."

As his eyes lay on the fedora, he chuckles inwardly, imagining Fred attempting to put on one of those snazzy suits and failing.

"Looks like we've seen just about everything this room has to offer, haven't we? I don't wanna spend any more time in here than I have to."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

That's a nice statue, Tom thinks to himself. Good material. But nothing to do with bad old Golden Mask, at least not immediately. And then he sees the name. Shen...Shen-nya...Shen-shnya...agh! Stupid humans with their stupid unpronounceable names! He makes a mental note of the spelling and pipes up.

"Sounds okay to me. I want to look up that Shen-shnya-shen name somewhere. Maybe it'll tell us who likes this sort of thing, nya? And then...I'll get my 'guitar', talk to Prof. Zann about this, and have a nap. If I'm lucky, nya."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 9, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

Jia frowns. "Someone's been touching this. That's not just forbidden, that's rude and unhygenic." She reads the characters. "Shenshashen. Sounds familiar to me, but I can't place it." She closes the cabinet with care, and takes a little bow. "Sorry, Shenshashen." Then she turns back to the others. "I want to ask my dad about this. He's weird but he knows all about obscure shrine gods. Maybe he can tell us why someone would poke poor Shenshashen."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey shrugs at all the occult talk. "This isn't my area of expertise. I think I'm going to head up to the Locker Hall and snoop around. Whoever took this thing had to stash it somewhere, and that seems as good a place as any."

She puts her flashlight away - along with the bracelet. "Anyone want to come with?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian shakes his head and pats his bag. "Nah, I'm gonna head to the cinema club room to review some of my evidence." He's vague about the film reels, trying to make sure Azumi doesn't overhear him. "Maybe if there are any members there, they can help. They're probably in class, though."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Azumi starts shooing you out of the room, in too much of a hurry to make sure nobody jacked anything. "Alright, let's go!"

If you haven't posted where you're going yet do so! For now...

~10AM

Baskerville Woods (Jia, ???)

Aspects, If You Can See The School You're Okay; Unknown Depths; Jia's Dad's Shack

The woods around the school are safe enough to play in. Wouldn't recommend getting lost though.

Jia's dad lives in a shack somewhere between the nearest school gate to Dunwich Hall and Zephaniah's Beach. It's empty when Jia shows up, but she can see a kettle of tea left to brew outside; he is probably waiting nearby to ambush her or something stupid again. UGH.

Locker Halls (Aubrey, ???)

Aspects: Personalized Lockers; Echo Chamber To Crowded Hall In Sixty Seconds

You're between classes for now, so the place is empty. It might fill soon, though, so watch out! Konami seems to have left already, and Aubrey and co. are totally alone as they snoop around whatever lockers they want...

Or are they? Aubrey only manages to step into a row of lockers before a familiar face and an awful Boston accent poke up from the row behind her...

Tavleen Munroe, The Arcane Gazette's Cutest Reporter!

Aspects: Slippery Mind; Everybody's Friend; Yellow Journalism Is The Fun Kind, Right?

"Yo, what's up? I knew I felt a tingle in my scoop gland! What ah ya doing here, Murphy's Law? Aren't ya supposed ta be locked up?"

Tavleen is already halfway through tweeting this with her off hand.

Cinema Club Room

Aspects: Second Best Entertainment System On Campus

Just offscreen is a high-tech future entertainment system so amazing it cannot be expressed in mere art. Maybe if I found some though. Anyway, the moral of the story is nobody is here to annoy Sebastian yet, and there's definitely a projector that can handle film reels in the back somewhere...

(The best entertainment system is in the Council Lounge but bringing a reel from the Forbidden Sections there isn't the best idea.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian places his camera and bag on one of the desks as he moves towards the projector with the film reel. "Good, it's empty. Hopefully it stays that way. Now to put this sucker in..."

He takes the film reel out of its canister and loads it into the projector, pulling down the screen at the front of the room and turning the projector on.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey

"We're leaving already? But we just got here." As the group starts getting shooed out of the crime scene, Laura is still rummaging through the containers there. Showing very little apparent concern for school rules and for Azumi's insistence that they get the gently caress out, Laura dawdles at the back of the group as the students leave for the less forbidden sections of the school.

From there, the delinquent casually follows Aubrey to the locker halls. "Alright, I gotta-" Her words stop, and a look of exhaustion washes over the girl's face as soon as Tavleen springs her ambush. "...Aren't you supposed to be in class or something?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Well, if your dad can do the research on that nyame," Tom says, "fine by me! I'll go get my 'guitar' again. Where is it...oh, nyats! I left it in my locker!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom taps in the combination to his own locker, then pulls the door open. And there it is--the 'guitar' he left here last night after he decided he wanted to stretch by the cliffs and was too lazy to take back to his room first. It sits neatly on a little wire stand at the base of the locker, and thanks to the windows, the lacquer catches the light wonderfully. He idly wonders about the possibility of a "Still Life with Guitar, Nya!" picture as he picks up the neck...then very nearly drops the instrument when Tavleen yells a few rows down.

"Nya! Hiss!" he calls out, tail perfectly straight with tension and fear. "Where did you come from!?"

• Locked thread