Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Today started off pretty normal, for an occult high school on an island in the middle of the ocean. Sure, the location's unusual and the school's digital notice boards always make room for occult emergency evacuation procedures, but you're still senior high students and you still have a morning routine.

You got dressed, had breakfast, talked to your friends, and headed to homeroom. Before you got there, though, there was a school announcement. You and nine of your classmates. Study Hall A-3. Now.

Crap.

. . .

Detention Hall, 9AM
Aspects: Study Hall; Post-It, Ward It; Everyone Gets A Desk; Headmaster Is Watching

And that's how you ended up in a study hall at the edge of the library instead of somewhere interesting.

Ten desks have been dragged into a circle. Some of your classmates have already taken a seat. You only get a moment to decide whether to take one too before the door opens again, and he appears.

Headmaster Pleasant Lovelace

Aspects: Headmaster Of Occultar Academy; Every School Law Must Be Enforced; Keeper Of Occult Secrets; I Must Teach These Kids

The Headmaster lets himself in without a word. You watch in silence as he picks up the chalk and writes a single word on the board:

[DETENTION]

Then he turns to you. He's got his serious face on, not just his normal face that happens to look serious. This must be serious.

"Morning, kids. I'll make this quick. Last night..." he pauses to look over your faces in case someone reacts, "... someone got into the Forbidden Sections and mucked about. Now, I don't know who, but I am quite certain it was one of you ten. I'm looking into it, and I'm gonna keep looking until I know exactly whose fault this is. Until then, everyone is staying here for the rest of the school day."

He holds up his hand to silence complaints. "I'm sorry if you're innocent, but we can talk about that afterwards. I can't risk the culprit doing something else. You are staying here for the next eight hours and fifty-four minutes or until someone confesses, whichever comes first. If someone lies to get out earlier you're all coming back tomorrow, so don't bother."

Lovelace heads for the door, rummaging in his coat pocket for some Post-Its. He has a trick where he can write powerful runes of warding and seal a door with them. It's pretty funny, if you're not the one behind it.

"I'll leave you to think about it. Unless anyone wants to confess? No? Well, then. I'll be back later, with food."

Lovelace strides out the doors. You hear the smack of a Post-It being slapped into place, and then disappearing footsteps.

And that's how your day started.

. . .

Now you're sitting in a circle with ten of your classmates.

You don't know what actually happened, who did it, why Lovelace suspects you or when he's coming back, but it's not like you have anything else to do. Might as well start looking for answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sup guys! Please post your character sheets for quick reference later, crunch only. Rolls can be done in #persona using the !roll function if you have witnesses OR by rolling Fudge dice in Orokos if you don't want to IRC it up (use the campaign name Breakfast Cult A3).

It's up to you how to proceed - you've been thrown in the deep end with little starting information on purpose. Feel free to split up.

OOC thread: Here!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Sebastian Albert

High Concept: The Oscar-Winner Of Tomorrow
Trouble: Everything's Gotta Be Perfect!
Passion: I Think I Saw This In A Movie Once
Magic: The Art of Pyrotechnics
Aspects: Wait, Let's Do Another Take; Starving Artist; This'll Make Great B-Roll!

Careful: +1
Clever: +2
Flashy: +3
Forceful: +2
Quick: +1
Sneaky: +0

Stunts:
I Always Get My Shot: Once per scene, succeed at any action otherwise failed or tied.
A Flair For The Dramatic: +2 to Flashy attacks when an enemy is near death.
Let's Punch This One Up A Bit: Once per scene, use Flashy in place of any other approach for a roll.

Hope: OOO
Refresh: 3

This sucked. An entire day lost. Sebastian was certainly no stranger to discipline, having gotten in trouble a few times in the past for filming where he shouldn't, but never nine hours of detention's worth of trouble. If he stayed here all day, he wouldn't be able to film the final scenes of The Mall Of Cthulhu with Ayame and Mark. This was the only day this week they were both available to film! He leaned forward in his seat and held his head for a few seconds, thinking of how far back the production would be delayed.

"poo poo."

Who the hell would be stupid enough to even go into the Forbidden Sections? Even Sebastian wasn't reckless enough to go rooting around in there. No shot was worth being eaten by some unseen horror from beyond the cafeteria. Honestly, he wasn't interested in why someone did it, just that someone did. The sooner the culprit confessed, the sooner everyone could get out of here. Sebastian placed both hands on the table in front of him and surveyed the room before speaking up.

"So, who was it?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Takanago posted:

“Lunar Princess Laura Lovecraft”

High Concept: Burnt-Out Magical Girl
Invoke: Look pretty, fight evil
Compel: Deal with old enemies or friends again

Magic: Sparkly Moon Magic With A Dark Secret
Invoke: Shoot lunar lasers, summon sparkles
Compel: Fall prey to dark power, lose the Lunar Pendant

Passion: Juvenile Delinquency
Invoke: Cheat, break the rules, disobey authority
Compel: Get bad attention from teachers, underperform in school

Trouble: I Am Tired of Being A Hero...
Invoke: Protect myself, do what’s best for me
Compel: Ignore others in need

Aspect: ...But I Hate To See Bad Deeds Go Unpunished
Invoke: Get angry, do what’s right, give people comeuppance
Compel: Force a moral crisis, make her act out at a bad time, get too angry

Aspect: Act First, Think Later
Invoke: Be quick, take initiative
Compel: Be dumb, bring unintended consequences

Aspect: How The Hell Did I Get Secret Admirers?
Invoke: Utilize charisma, get help from a secret admirer
Compel: Get unwanted attention

Approaches
Careful: +0
Clever: +1
Flashy: +2
Forceful: +3
Quick: +2
Sneaky: +1

Stunts
Transformation Sequence: Because of the fascinating and dazzling magic of Magical Girl transformation sequences, Laura gets a +2 to flashily create an advantage while transforming from her mundane form to Magical Girl form.
I’ve Been Through Worse: Because she’s received more bruises than she can count and handles it well, Laura gets a +2 to forcefully defend a physical hit by simply enduring it.
Like A Wrecking Ball: Because of her magical power, her fondness for vandalism, and disregard for consequences, Laura gets a +2 to forcefully create an advantage by breaking something.

The blonde Laura Bailey, standing in the back of the room, walks to the chalkboard and runs her arm through the middle of the headmaster's writing. Only DET____ON is left legible and unsmeared. After taking a moment to appreciate the petty act of defiant vandalism, she finally joins the circle of detainee students and takes a seat. On her face is a bored, tired stare clearly marking both that she is not a morning person but also that she is not particularly disturbed by being here. It's not so surprising that the headmaster would lock her up. If the school administrators kept a leaderboard for most time spent in detention, she would definitely be at the top.

"I dunno," Laura answers Sebastian's question nonchalantly. "But it looks like we'll be here a while, so we might as well get comfortable." She then rests her feet on the desk in front of her, tilts her chair backwards, and produces a lighter and cigarette out of her pockets. Ignoring any objections the school or the students around her may have, she puts the cigarette in her mouth and lights it.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 2, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Daigo Minami, Super High School Level Evil Overlord

High Concept: Lawful Evil
Invoke: Exercise his power, bend the rules, command respect.
Compel: Rivals make trouble, teachers get sick of his poo poo, he must defend his domain.

Trouble: ...Lawful Good
Invoke: Have people overlook his weirdness, utilize his spotless reputation, cheer someone up or solve a problem by being absurdly nice to it.
Compel: Get called out, have trouble handling the politics of his position, not be able to reconcile his image with his actions.

Passion: Only You Can Prevent Eldritch Fires!
Invoke: Know how to avoid harm, be extremely familiar with the school's nooks and crannies, have a safety precaution on hand JUST IN CASE.
Compel: Get a little too intense about safety, have trouble taking an unsafe risk, be an insufferable nag.

Magic: Tendrils of Unfathomable Blackness
Invoke: Make something go away in a very painful fashion, make a big show of having powerful magic, actually do something subtle for once.
Compel: Subtlety doesn't work out too well, put people in danger with the collateral damage, get the attention of something unpleasant with his creepy powers.

Aspect: Strike A Pose
Invoke: Have the right costume for the job, pull off an intimidating or impressive display, be well-groomed and/or attractive.
Compel: Obsess too much about his image, go too far and look laughable, never not stand out.

Aspect: Um, What Was That?
Invoke: Stumble into something accidentally, be experienced using his other strengths to make up for lack of book-learnin', come up with an unusual solution from his weird brain.
Compel: Be terribad at research, have someone know he's not the sharpest and take advantage of it, not know something that probably should be common knowledge.

Aspect: You There! Yes, You! Get Me A Coffee!
Invoke: Have others cover for his weaknesses, leverage his popularity, use persuasion that borders on supernatural.
Compel: Trouble within the ranks, be horrible at subtlety on account of never needing it himself, be bossier than is really necessary.

Approaches
Careful: +2
Clever: +0
Flashy: +3
Sneaky: +1

Stunts
Make Way, Peons!: It's really kind of curious how popular Daigo is. When he encounters someone for the first time, he can spend a fate point to already have a positive relationship with them when it makes sense to do so, creating an advantage.
USE A RUNE WHEN YOU ATTUNE: Once per scene, Daigo can reveal that his obsessive safety precautions have negated the consequence of one of his or his classmates' failed or backfired spells.
Free stunt slot for later use

Daigo, who had previously been goggling at the sheer implausibility of him being put in detention of all places—it had happened before, but revisionist history is best history—stands up suddenly, slamming his palms down on his desk and looking at each of the room's denizens in turn. Plenty of the usual suspects, sure, but Aubrey is one of his most dedicated generals, and even she was picked up. (The class representatives usually didn't appreciate being referred to as his generals, but, uh...

...it seems he doesn't particularly care.)

Surely this is no mere detention, he thinks; how often were people put in detention for nine hours? No, this smells fishy. This smells of...foul play. Surely, some petty rival had planned this, and were now making their move as he sits there in detention. They would fail, of course, but picking up in the aftermath is tedious as heck. This is unacceptable.

"Peons, Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama, and General Murphy!" His loud voice penetrates to the corners of the room. People often wonder if Daigo is capable of an indoor voice. "Surely, while some of you can...make trouble from time to time," he eyes Laura with a little weariness, "none of you are truly blackhearted and foolhardy enough to peruse the Forbidden Sections and put the entire school, nay, the entire island at risk. There must be further circumstances behind our imprisonment, something we aren't being told. We must investigate, posthaste!"

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 2, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Wudang Jia

"Yes, sure, fine." The 235th Heir of the Wudang School uses her quick and practiced hand motions to accomplish the most important task in front of her.

http://wudanggirl.tumblr.com/

Hitting POST she finally looks up. "Investigate how, Minami?" she asks. "We're locked in here and unless you have the 36 instruments of truth-gathering stuffed down your pants I don't see how we're going to get anyone to admit they violated the secrecy of this place! If this was Wudang we'd take a staff to thei-"

She looks around.

"But this is not Wudang!"

K Prime posted:

Feix Wudang Jia

High Concept: Literal Wuxia Hero In Training

Trouble: Never Reveal the Wudang Secret

Passion: OMG TXTNG IS GR8

Magic: Wuxia Chi Bullshit

Aspect: Wudang Clan Ain't Nothin to gently caress With

Aspect: Queen of the Iron Age

Aspect: My Mentor Figure Hasn't Died Yet

Approaches
Careful: +1
Clever: +2
Flashy: +1
Forceful: +3
Sneaky: +0

Stunts
The Mystery of Chessboxing: Jia's training consists of mind and body cultivation in equal measure. When she creates a Clever aspect, she gets a +3 instead of a +2 when tagging it for a Forceful action, and vice versa.
Protect Your Neck: Wudang Sword Style don't mess around. Once per session on a successful hit, Jia can spend a fate point deal an automatic Severe Consequence to something that has a head.
Fast Shadow: Wudang Sword does not do subtle. But sometimes, one must be as the shadow- moving fast to evade the light. When evading someone's attention by moving around (metaphorically or literally- this can refer to changing the topic of conversation rapidly, for example) Jia may substitute Quick for Sneaky.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Aubrey Murphy

Aubrey covers her face when Daigo starts in on the General thing again, and then Jia jumps in. "Let's... let's not speculate on what's in Minami's pants." She takes a deep breath and looks around at the others.

"The Forbidden Sections are no joke. There's some really dangerous stuff in there. I can understand why the Headmaster is reacting this way but I don't know why he picked us out as the suspects!" Especially me!

"Look, why don't we each just say where we were last night? That seems like a good place to start."

Aubrey considers, then says, "After dinner I went to archery club, and then I took a shower, and then I talked to Konami about some student council stuff. And then I went back to my room, studied for an hour, watched a movie, and went to bed."

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Aubrey Murphy

High Concept: Delta Greenhorn
Aubrey Murphy is just a regular high school student focused on her classes, enjoying time with her friends, and her after school club activities - hunting down eldritch horrors from beyond time and space. Aubrey's parents happen to work for a shadowy rogue government department that has some experience with these things and a junior auxiliary wing, so she has the background to deal with it. Even if she doesn't particularly care for all this occult nonsense herself. Those same parents happen to be Occultar Academy graduates themselves, so there really wasn't any question about which school Aubrey would be attending.

Trouble: Badass But Normal
Facing off with Lovecraftian monsters and occult dangers and weirdos doesn't phase Aubrey. On the other hand, she doesn't really understand all of the magical stuff very well, and in the end she is just a mundane mortal.
Invoke: Face down terrible monsters without flinching, figure out mundane solutions to supernatural problems, interact with normal people normally
Compel: Get blindsided by supernatural things,

Passion: John Woo is My Spirit Animal
Aubrey doesn't like to admit it, but she really, really likes action movies. She likes to put on a front of being a very serious tactician and generally mature person, but she has an encyclopedic knowledge of the works of Chow Yun Fat and Arnold.
Invoke: Pull off some dumb action movie stunt, know all about action movies
Compel: Get talked into trying some dumb action movie stunt, waste time with action movies, be embarrassed about liking action movies

Aspect: Calm, Cool, and (Mostly) Collected
Aubrey is a straight forward and studious, a bit prone to snark and with a dry wit. She is still a high schooler so there are limits, though.
Invoke: Keep her cool during stressful situations, be taken seriously, put up with her classmate's weirdness, play the straight woman
Compel: Really go ballistic when she does lose her temper, miss the joke, laugh at dumb jokes

Aspect: Miss Class Rep
Aubrey doesn't remember running for the class rep position, but she ended up with it anyways, apparently due to some law of cosmic inevitability. It's a good fit, since she's a good student and something of a teacher's pet, but sometimes it means she gets stuck with responsibility.
Invoke: Be a good student, deal with teachers and other authority figures, get respect from other students
Compel: Get in trouble due to other student's weirdness because she's the responsible one, have to deal with class rep responsibilities

Aspect: Legacy Kid
There's really no question that Aubrey could have gotten in on her own academic merit, but her acceptance to Occultar Academy owes a lot to her parents being alumni, and also to their being part of an organization that the Miskatonic Foundation would really rather not have annoyed with them. And, of course, there's the dorm hall named after great-grandpa. And the numerous teachers with tales of her when her parents attended. Aubrey would really prefer just to be a regular student. Well, as regular as an Occultar student gets.
Invoke: Know things about Occultar Academy's history, have connections with staff and teachers from through family, be able to get official backup from the school sometimes
Compel: Have to deal with dumb things festering from when her parents were students, get bothered by the Administration on behalf of getting her parents to do something

Approaches
Careful: +3
Clever: +1
Flashy: +0
Sneaky: +2

Stunts
Designated Markswoman: When you use a firearm to to create an advantage, a tie counts as a success, a regular success counts as a success with style, and a success with style generates three free invocations.
Requisition: Because you can call in favors and get access to military/government grade equipment on short notice, once per scene you can spend a fate point to make a special Careful roll. For each shift you make on this roll you create a Requisition Order boost. Any character may invoke a Requisition Order, but only one per character per round. This stunt cannot be used again until all Requisition Order boosts have been invoked. Requisition Orders can be invoked to get access to special equipment or services.
SOP: When you have at least a few moments to prepare, you can use Careful in place of Quick to determine initiative.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

As Sebastian likewise finishes typing something up on his phone, he looks over to Aubrey with a smile. "It usually starts out like this, yes. The detective getting all the statements he can get before investigating the crime scene."

He closes his eyes and leans his head back. "As for me, after dinner I ran a cinema club meeting, then returned to my dorm and went over some script revisions with my girlfriend Ayame for the rest of the night. Both the club and Ayame can corroborate my story."

He then gives a soft chuckle. "The Headmaster must have his reasons for picking us as suspects even if nine of us are innocent. What's stumping me is why we have members of the student council here."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FP/Refresh: 3/3 Hope: OOO

Oh, so it wasn't for excessive sleeping in class? Tom stretches at his chosen desk, flicks his tail by the seat, and gives a little smile. It's fricking weird seeing a cleft smile on a human mouth.

"Yes, everybody suspects the Dreamlands one." His tone is snarky, but also tired. "But I don't need anything from your stupid forbidden section! I have all the magic I need! Ha! Ha ha h-*hack hack*"

Chastened by his sudden coughing fit, he mutters a reply to Aubrey's question. "Oh, very well. After dinner I took some time to play music under the stars with the drum circlers, and then I went for a stretch break mousing over by the cliffs, and then I went back to my room, brushed up on your histories and cultures, and catnyapped. And if that's all you need, I'd like to take advantage of nyat having to attend Geometric Sigiles 101 and do so again."

He folds his arms over the desk and sets his head down on it, waving his tail left and right as he tries to get comfortable.

Davin Valkri posted:

Thomas "Tom" Iranon D'Ulthar

High Concept: The Catboy of Ulthar
Invoke: Cat magic, remember the secrets of the Dreamlands
Compel: Be distracted by fish and string, not know stuff about Earth

Trouble: Red Eye Commuter
Invoke: Find simple but overlooked solutions (to get it done faster so he can sleep faster)
Compel: Can't it wait? It's warm and I want to sleep...

Passion: Samba de Guitar!
Invoke: Some music soothes savage cats and other such eldritch beasties
Compel: Some music pisses off humans, especially with the different ears

Magic: We are All Made of Stars
Invoke: Remote onieropathy or onieroscopy; smug cattiness at being inherently magic
Compel: Wait, wrong dream!; wait, magic doesn't work like that here?

Aspect: My Human, Erika Zann
Invoke: Arcane knowledge and staff connections
Compel: Putting her in danger, people who don't like Prof. Zann don't like Tom either

Aspect: Tails Do Nyat Work That Way!
Invoke: I'll let you scratch my ears if you do me a favor...
Compel: Stalked by the freaking anime club, of all things!

Aspect: Stray Cat Strut
Invoke: Worm his way into or out of places he shouldn't be in
Compel: Curiosity killed the...well, you know

Approaches
Careful: +0
Clever: +3
Flashy: +1
Forceful: +1
Sneaky: +2

Stunts
Predatory Instinct: Tom is a cat, of course he's going to know how to stalk prey with bare hands! When Sneakily Creating an Advantage using his catty intuitions, the resulting boost or advantage gets two free invokes.
Earfluff: Unlike every mortal otaku with a headband, the vaguely triangular things on top of Tom's head are not just for show. Tom can, simply put, hear better, not just things humans can't hear (like a whisper of leaves), but things humans hear but can't pick up on (like a vague undertone of malice in a fake reassurance).
Dreamlands Connection: In between scenes, Tom can spend an FP to have a prophetic dream in the Dreamlands. Somebody--maybe the pudgy Mei Lin, maybe the millionth-favored Aidan, or maybe just a friend from home--will talk to Tom and give advice or possibilities about the next scene.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

"After dinner I aaaaa...." Jia thinks for a moment. "I went to train with my dad. Just, y'know, the usual. Then I texted Feixue about how cool her music is- she never responds to me for some reason- and then I did my usual exercises and went to bed."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The NPCs

Unwritten law of blame games: Everyone eventually starts staring at whoever hasn't offered an alibi yet until they spill. Your other four classmates are forced to talk!

Konami Kobushiyama

Aspects: Iron Fist Of The Student Council; Clay Fighter; Street Fighter II Headstrong

Konami yawns and stretches. This is normally the kind of thing she drags other people into detention for at the behest of the faculty or the Council, but she doesn't look very fussed.

"Eh, not much. Whomped some kid who challenged me in the quad, went to the sick bay, played King Of Tekken in the council lounge for a coupla hours, bumped into Aubrey, played some more in my room, took a shower, went to bed round eleven. The usual! I thought I was here about the fight. Bobbi probably wouldn't bail us out, huh."

She smacks her fist into her palm and looks over you all. "Still gonna smack ya if you don't fess up!"

Kaiya Shibuya

Aspects: The Music Club's Rap Wizard; Every Characteristic Of The Egotistic

Kaiya swings her trendy sneakers onto her desk and leans back with surprisingly little jingling, considering even her capri pants are decorated with bling.

"Maaan," she complains to the ceiling, "this sucks! I can't wait until six! I need my me time! I even split it up throughout the day in careful allotments! He's covered all of them. This is prime cut bullshit marinated in bullshit sauce, right?"

"Oh, right. I was just doing, y'know, homework and poo poo. And freestyling in the music club room. Nowhere near the No-Go Rooms. How about you guys? Anyone even go to the library?"

Madoka Mawaru

Aspects: Optimistic Gamer Girl; ChairBound; Puzzle Game Junkie

Madoka pops her earbuds out and puts her handheld down for a few moments.

"Ah, you guys know me. I'm easy! I was playing games in my room all night." She grins. "Gonna do some more when we're done. I bet it's soon! It's cool, though, I'm set for the day. I've got my copy of New Super Mario Hyperborea somewhere in..."

Madoka rummages in her satchel. "... here? ... Oh em gee, I left it in my other handheld! I am screwed!"

Fred Jermyn

Aspects: Fedora Libertarian; Everything I Know, I Learned From The Net; Nice Guy

Fred has already set up his laptop and shifted position to turn it into a barrier between him and the rest of the world. He barely looks at you, except to glance at Konami and some of the other girls every so often.

He waves you off quickly so he can get back to the anime he's watching. "Computer club stuff. Pretty technical, you wouldn't understand."

It's up to you how you know these classmates, if you think it's relevant anyway. Remember to peep the stunts list in the OOC thread!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 3, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

Sebastian looks towards Kaiya. This was one good thing at least, he had wanted to talk to her today. She was helping him with the soundtrack of his latest movie. "By the way, Kaiya, how are those tracks you're putting together for me coming along? I'm hoping to start editing next week and I'll need the main theme of the movie then."

(x)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

As everybody else breaks out laptops and smartphones, and one rather obnoxious fat cotter-like creature plays something he can hear with his ears--no matter how tight he thinks his very loud headphones are--Tom sighs. He's not getting any sleep at all right now, is he. With a bit of an eyeroll, he produces an older phone of his own, a sort of "welcome to Earth!" gift from Prof. Zann, and hesitantly, with obvious lack of skill, types out a message to another fan of cats on campus.

Then he looks at Konami with a bit of arrogance, tilting his head up and looking down his nose. "I wouldn't, if I were you. I have claws!" He holds up a hand, which indeed has pointy nails, to emphasize.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey

"What is this, a police interrogation?" Laura puffs out smoke and sighs. "I mean really, asking people for alibis? Wouldn't the person who did it, if something happened and if they're even here, just lie about it?"

The girl stares back coldly at all those who are looking at her. There is an anticipation-filled silence as people realize she hasn't established her own alibi. "Oh, what." She is clearly not pleased by this. "You want to know what I was doing last night? Well I don't think the details of my private life are any of your business. I have too many stalkers, anyway; I like my privacy."

"One more thing." Laura takes another drag of her cigarette before sharing some of her wisdom. "If you guys were wondering why people like you were brought to detention, it's because Mr. Lovelace is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Do you really think he 'has his reasons' for sticking ten students in detention all day? I bet he doesn't know a thing."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

"What I did yesterday...hmm." Daigo, realizing that he's still standing up in a dynamic pose, sits back down and puts a hand to his chin in thought. "I was at Mr. West's office, seeking his assistance on his last chemistry assignment. Following that, I went to the council lounge and was beaten, thoroughly and repeatedly, by Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama—who takes advantage of infinite combos like a blackguard knave—at King of Tekken. After that I chaired a meeting with the Safety Committee, reported the results to Her Majesty Bobbi Shrewsbury of the Palace of the Soul, and spent the rest of the night in my room, watching movies on my laptop."

Generally, the more Daigo respects you, the longer and more obnoxious the title he will give you. Bobbi...Bobbi commands respect.

"None of us have others to corroborate where we were at all times yesterday, however, and thus there are holes during which any of us could easily have snuck down to the library, given that we do not know when the misdeed occurred. That is probably part of why we were chosen--or should I say, framed." He seems really sold on this theory of his.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey Murphy FP OOO | Hope OOO

Aubrey puts her head down on the desk and wonders what she did to deserve this. After a moment she takes a deep breath and gets up. "Look. We can either stay here all day and be bored, or we can try and figure out what's going on. I'm not particularly happy to get accused by the Headmaster either, but he does have the authority to keep us stuck in this room until he changes his mind. So, do we want to stay in here together all day?" she very obviously looks at Fred as she finishes her sentence.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Fred + Madoka

Fred decides to gainsay Laura first and not anyone who spoke before her for some reason, but doesn't bother looking away from his anime to do it.

"He could know nothing and still have a reason," he says with a dismissive wave of his hand that looked cool when he saw it on TV. "We could be known troublemakers, or someone said they saw us nearby, or something. You probably want to find out what the reason is."

Madoka nods. "Oh, yeah. That makes sense. Maybe someone saw me walking down the stairs to the Forbidden Sections, with my +5 walking feet."

If you've never seen someone pop a sarcastic wheelie in their wheelchair before, you have now.

Kaiya

"Oh, yeah, it's basically done. I'd show you, but it's in my dorms." Kaiya shrugs and waits for someone else to suggest a course of action.

Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama

Konami takes this as a friendly challenge and starts getting up.

"Yeah, sure, we can spar." She cracks her knuckles. "I don't mind the claws. No hitting below the belt, though. Any other rules you want?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

Sebastian nods at Kaiya as he pulls out his video camera and points it towards Konami and Thomas. "Not gonna miss this footage."

Turning his attention back to the rest of the students, he adjusts his hat and clears his throat. "I agree with Aubrey. Plus, we'll probably be in here every day until someone comes clean. We've got to figure this out. The Headmaster said he'd be back in a bit to bring us lunch. Maybe we can ask him for some information about what exactly happened."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey
FP 3/3 | Hope OOO | Blog

Laura simply rolls her eyes at Fred's helpful statement, before turning to the others.

"We don't have to wait in here all day..." Pushing her chair even further away from the desk, she makes her way to one of the outside windows and pulls it open. A half-grin forms on her face as she sits on the windowsill and throws her cigarette outside. "See? It's simple. Lovelace thinks he's so smart with his dumb door seal trick but it's actually pretty easy to get out of detention around here. He's probably not going to be back for a few hours, at least."

She swings her legs around to the outside of the window, and looks back into the classroom. "I don't care about playing detective, or about this whole detention thing, but who's up for going out and taking a look at happened? It'd be a lot more interesting than sitting, playing debate club, and waiting nicely for the headmaster to get back."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Oh good," Tom laughs as he produces another set of claws. "Nyice to see the canines aren't the only ones happy to fight for dominyance!" He suddenly retracts both sets as he flashes a pointy, fanged grin. "But cats are smarter. Cats know the causes of things. And you don't want to punch me, do you? No, nyo, deep down you want to take out your anger on the reason you're here and not playing the King of Tekken, nyah? So, since I won't be getting any sleep right nyow, let's go find this intruder so you can punch them in the myouth! Then you'll be happy and I can get some sleep, nyah..."

Cleverly overcoming this obstacle by suggesting Konami take that energy she wants to use to punch Thomas into figuring out who to punch for locking her in detention!
[21:50:27] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[21:50:29] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -+/++3 = 4

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Konami smacks her fist into her palm again.

"Weird cat guy is right! We need to look for a way out of here."

She peers out of Laura's window! It's only like the third floor of the building, no big deal for a bunch of magic people. There might be alternate routes if you suck at climbing!

Madoka shrugs and unfolds her handheld again with a flick of her wrist. "Guess I'll wait here."

"Alright, I'll stay just in case," Fred says.

Kaiya immediately swivels her legs to the floor and makes for the window. "I'm out. Time to run, NPCs!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey Murphy FP XOO | Hope OOO | Passion X [Requisition Orders: XOOOO]

Aubrey starts digging in her bag. "I think we can get the door open from the other side. We'll have to infiltrate back up the stairs, but I think we can do it." She pulls out a coil of black nylon rope and a bag of climbing gear, including a pair of thick gloves she pulls on. She looks around, and finds something to secure one end to, and steps up on the sill, looking down. Aubrey turns back to Madoka as she pulls her scarf up to cover the lower half of her face. "Can you pull this back up once we're down? Thanks!"

Then Aubrey jumps out the window, startling a small flock of doves who were happily ignorant of crazy high school students until just now, and fast ropes down to the grounds.

Rolling Careful for my Requisition stunt
<Krysmbot> Gorbash, ---++3 = 1
Boo, invoking my passion (John Woo is My Spirit Animal) to make that a +++-+3, so 5. Invoking one of the Requisition Orders for some tactical climbing gear.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey
FP/Refresh 4/3 Hope OOO | Blog

Laura leans forward from the window and looks down at the spec-ops student. "Fancy. Normally I just climb and jump down. Guess I have to step up my game if that's how you skip detention. Might as well start now..."

In one fluid motion she hops out of the window, grabs the rope with her bare hands, and imitates Aubrey's descent by sliding down. For a very brief moment in time, a sense of enjoyment and challenge can be seen in her eyes. This does not last past at all the second where it becomes apparent that she forgot that friction is a thing that exists.

What seems at first to be a totally cool idea instead becomes a literal descent into pain as the rope starts rapidly burning her hands. Laura's landing is marked with an ungraceful thud and a groan of pain, after she lets go and falls like a chump.

"Auugh..." After a moment of just wallowing on the ground in misery, Laura sits up and holds her shaking hands carefully in the air. "That was stupid."

Compelling Act First, Think Later.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami
FP/Refresh: 4/3 Hope: OOO

Daigo goggles down at Laura's, um, interesting choice of travel before stepping back and crossing his arms. That is definitely three stories, and he doesn't have gloves, and the landing isn't secured, and really it's all extremely unsafe. He keeps glancing out the window, and it's obvious he wants to go with and get his investigation on, but...it's detention, not the end of the world or something, right? It can wait.

"I will remain here until they can open the door, and I suggest those without gloves do the same, if they don't want a repeat performance of...that. I trust General Murphy and Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama to supervise, and someone must remain to oversee those remaining. Undoubtedly we will find a way closer to the truth while they are out."

So he says, but he definitely looks torn.

Compelling Only You Can Prevent Eldritch Fires! to be a stick-in-the-mud about safety.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

Jia giggles merrily at Laura's misadventure. "Really? You should have just let me go, watch..." With a deep breath, she leaps out the window, running briefly in midair with no sign of gravity mattering as she slowly drops to the ground. "Nothing unsafe about it at all. Just someone doesn't know- oop." She clams up. "Anyway, next time try asking."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

Sebastian sighs and picks up his camera. "I guess we're in enough trouble as it is. I'd better go so we can get video evidence of the place." He walks over to the window, takes the rope, and climbs out the window, learning from Laura's mistake and slowly rappelling down. "Are you, uh, okay there? We don't need to stop by the infirmary, do we?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright! So the compels are ~dramatic~, gonna set them up like this:

• Laura gets the aspect Burned Hands for the next scene, which might make doing stuff with them more difficult.
• The area outside the study hall will be a little crowded for the next twenty minutes, making infiltration difficult and forcing Daigo to either find an alternate exit or wait. Remember you still have Internet access and can use it to research or aid others from afar, if he wants something to do.

Occultar Library Exterior, 9:15AM

Remember when the book said the library was two stories tall? gently caress the book.

When your school is stuck on a remote island, your standard dinky little library isn't gonna cut it. This place needs every book you could possibly need, including fiction for when you get bored. It also needs enough computers to provide everyone with the delicious, safe-for-work fruits of the digital age. You need a big library is what I'm saying.

You slide down just around the corner from the main entrance, conveniently out of sight of passers-by. It shouldn't be too much trouble to walk around and into the Library popular, even try to sneak to the Forbidden Sections if that's your thing. Other than that, the library sits on one edge of the Quad - from here you can easily access the school via the Locker Halls, or walk over to the Club Building where all the school clubs (and the Council Lounge) can be found. The rest of the school is within running distance but slightly less convenient so it doesn't get a mention.

Konami salutes Daigo sloppily (she might be ribbing him in a good-natured way) and climbs down. "What's the plan? Sick bay isn't that far if you wanna go. I might go grab some games from my locker for later."

Kaiya sticks the landing. "I'm gonna go back to the dorms and stock up on essentials, get my mystery sneaks. Anyone want me to grab anything?"

Detention Hall

Madoka pulls up the rope. "I'll keep watch. If the Headmaster walks here from the school building I might be able to warn them in time."

"Heh," Fred says. "He'll probably come from another angle."

"Whatever, noob. That's about as useful as I can be right now, anyway..."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey
FP/Refresh 4/3 | Hope OOO

Laura winces and curses rapidly under her breath as she pushes herself off the ground, and shakes her head at the suggestion of going to the infirary. "Nope. Fine. Totally fine." The distressingly red marks on her palms, fingers, and forearms suggest otherwise, but her words are firm and serious.

"So now that we're out here, let's go sneak into that whole forbidden section of the library. The headmaster has already stuck us in detention cause he thinks we did it so it's no big deal, anyway. Someone just needs to get the doors and stuff for me..."

The girl disappears around the corner as she heads to the library entrance. "Oh wait." Those that follow her are treated to the sight of her stupid grin as she elbows the large handicap access button and one of the doors, slowly but surely, opening up and inviting the students inside. "Nevermind. So, who wants to go?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

For a moment, Tom briefly considers walking down the side of the building like nothing's wrong. Then he decides "nyah. Too much effort" and eases himself down by the rope. The slowness of his descent spares him Laura's injury, but between that, halfway falling asleep mid-rappel, and stretching slowly and obviously once his feet touch the floor, he looks almost impossibly lazy.

"So the headmyaster says somebody messed about in your 'forbidden sections'?" He shrugs as he follows Laura. "So what myakes them so 'forbidden'? And what did they do, anyway? Knyock over a stool, try to call on Nyanlathotep?" His ears flatten a bit. "It'd help if we knyew what we were supposed to confess to..."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jia

"So we solve a crime by committing it? Yet somehow nobody here can understand action-without-action. Aiya." Jia blows a strand of hair out of her face. "I do not think so. We should investigate the entrance instead of using it. Perhaps we can find some evidence? That is how things work here right? Back home, we generally use trial by combat but I do not think anybody would be happy with me if I suggested that."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey Murphy FP XOO | Hope OOO | Passion X [Requisition Orders: XOOOO]

"Kaiya, there's a black bag in the closet in my dorm room, I'll loan you the key." As she passes it over, she looks right into the other girl's eyes. "Don't touch anything else, I'll know."

Then she turns back to the others. "Checking out the entrance to the Forbidden Sections makes sense, but the Headmaster might be checking it out. Is there anyone we could talk to who might know what's going on but wouldn't turn us in?"

(x)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 4, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

Sebastian looks over to the club building, gesturing towards it. "Maybe we could head on over to the club building. Since we've got Konami with us, maybe one of the student council members could help us. Plus, I could stop by the cinema club room and pick up some stuff for my camera."

(x)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Or, you know..." Tom smiles cattily (how appropriate!) and swings his tail deviously. "If nya want somebody with actual PULL on our side, I can go down to the myusic room and see if Professor Zann can help us. I have a...contract with her, nya."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

Looking out the window with some mixture of impatience and petulance as the others walk away to do whatever investigating they are up to, Daigo taps his foot, paces a little, and gives an affected siiiiigh. Truly, the burden of the overlord is heavy, and even one such as he is sometimes hobbled by its weight.

Still, though, something Kobushiyama said earlier had piqued his interest, and rather than uselessly debating with the others in the room without any evidence to back anything up, he decides that he should be exercising the power afforded him to get to the bottom of this nonsense. He whips out his phone (decorated, of course, with an absurd black metallic case that looks like full plate armor for a phone) and searches through his address book, settling on the name he thinks is most appropriate for the situation. Then he pointedly hits "call" and raises it to his ear.

"Your Majesty of the Palace of the Soul? It is I. I suspect that I, along with several of your other followers, have been framed for intrusion into the Forbidden Sections. Yes, those Forbidden Sections. This is no laughing matter, Your Majesty; we have been placed in detention for the entire day, and I suspect several days further until someone confesses, which they won't. Who knows what havoc will be wrought with both myself and Commander Kobushiyama rendered impotent? I request your assistance, as obviously we are somewhat...indisposed."

It's time to bring in the big guns.

Invoking ...Lawful Good to leverage his position on the student council to get a line to Bobbi.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey
FP/Refresh 4/3 | Hope OOO

"Cmon," The automated door starts to close on its own, until Laura once again slams her elbow into the handicap access button. "Don't you guys want to actually see what happened that's got Lovelace's underwear in a knot? I mean, think about it, how are we really going to find out what the big deal is if we don't go inside? It's not just about the fact that someone went where they shouldn't, it's about the fact that there's something in there which must be really drat important."

She starts walking backwards into the library, motioning for people to join her. "If you guys are too scared to join me in a little trespassing, that's fine, but I'm going. The headmaster could be anywhere right now, and I don't see a point in trying to figure out a mystery when we don't even know what the mystery is."

And then, with a wave, Laura turns around and starts quickly making her way to the oh-so-scary "Forbidden Section".

(1) (2)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If anyone wants to name people they think could help (ones from the book or ones you made up), or ask me to make one up, go for it!

Also, if you're definitely going somewhere other than the Forbidden Sections, post it and I'll tell you what you find when you get there!

Forbidden Section Stairs

All you need to do to get to the Forbidden Sections is take an easy walk down these stairs, bust the keypad lock and sneak in without getting caught. Easy!

When you peer down, though, you see someone waiting...

Azumi Kamiyama

Aspects: Sorceror Sukeban Staying Straight; Foul Mouth, Fouler Temper; Cold Heart Of Gold

To be fair, as agents of the Headmaster go, Azumi is more of a punch-clock agent. She's probably down with you guys (especially any fellow delinquents), but she has to at least try to guard this place or she'll be punished harder than you guys. Right now she's sitting in a chair by the door and standing guard, texting people and watching movies on her data pad; this is boring, but it beats class. Her bokken is resting against the wall nearby.

If you want to get in you're going to have to either find a way past her or convince her to let you pass.

Azumi's Either Way I'm The Boss stunt lets her choose to place either Boss Girl or Right Hand Girl on herself this scene. Right now she's placed Boss Girl, which means anyone who isn't in the Student Council or some other position of authority fears her. (If it were Right Hand Girl it'd be the other way around.) This doesn't really impose penalties or restrictions on what you do, but it does make her seem scary!

Daigo

Daigo gets the ear of...

Her Majesty of the Palace of the Soul (Bobbi Shrewsbury)

Aspects: Council President With A Stiff Upper Lip; Ridiculous Influence; Keep Calm And Carry On

"Oh, my goodness," Bobbi says. Daigo hears her sip some tea. "I've heard of some of this. The Headmaster advised me you would be indisposed, as well. This is inconvenient. I suppose you'd like my assistance, yes? How can I help?"

Ettin fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 4, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

Sebastian sighs and gets his camera ready. "Fine, I'll go. Not like I can get in any more trouble as it is. We'll have to check it out anyway." He peers down the stairs and his face darkens when he sees Azumi. "poo poo, it's Kamiyama. I don't know if that's better or worse than the headmaster." Like many students, Sebastian had found himself on the receiving end of that wooden sword more than once in the past.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aubrey Murphy FP XXO | Hope OOO | Passion X [Requisition Orders: XOOOO]

Aubrey peers around the corner at Azumi, then consults with Laura. "Azumi is pretty tough, but she means well. I think if we explain what's going on and that we're trying to clear our names, she'll help us." She considers. "Otherwise, she'll probably pick me up and use me to wallop you. That's worst case." Aubrey considers again. "Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Aubrey pulls the scarf down so it isn't covering her face, and goes around the corner, holding her hands up in front of her, palms out, in the universal sign of 'I just want to talk' as she approaches.

"Hi Azumi. So, um, sorry you got stuck with guard duty. This whole mess kind of stinks. Which is why we came down here. We can't just sit up there cooped up in the study hall when something like this is going on. You understand, right?" Aubrey has a sudden flash of insight, and adds, "And besides, you know how Lovelace is! He's always got some weird scheme going on, I'm sure this whole thing is secret test of our capabilities. So really we're doing exactly the right thing by coming down here. But we need to find some clues, and fast. And you're the only one who can help us."

Clever approach!
<Krysmbot> Gorbash, --//+1 = -1
<@Gorbash> krymsbot you cur
Invoking Miss Class Rep to reroll.
<Krysmbot> Gorbash, +++-+1 = 3
Placing the aspect Azumi Kamiyama, You're Our Only Hope

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP/Refresh: 3-1/3 Hope: OOO

Tom follows the rest down to the library forbidden section, then immediately ducks behind a bookshelf and starts quietly hissing at the sight of Azumi. Cats, unlike dogs, do not like sticks on good days; when they're used to beat them, they REALLY hate them. And he cannot for the life of him understand why Aubrey decided to talk to her! His tail goes straight and tense at the sight of the bokken, so why is she just chatting her up like she doesn't use her stick like a cotter?

So he decides on a different course of action. At least Aubrey can distract Azumi...maybe? He hops on top of the bookshelf, then to the stair railing, then to the next bookshelf. Cats go where they want, nyah! And if he wants to get into the forbidden section, he's not going to wait on some stick-wielding twit to let him in!

Tom has a completely different option in mind--sneaky sneaky while Aubrey is talking!
[21:00:20] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[21:00:30] <Atlatl> drum roll
[21:00:33] <Davin_Valkri> ...
[21:00:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -+/++2 = 3
[21:00:49] <Davin_Valkri> Two above average rolls in a roll! I'm on a roll!
[21:00:57] <Davin_Valkri> But let's invoke Stray Cat Strut to make that +5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Laura Bailey
FP/Refresh 3/3 | Hope OOO

"poo poo." Laura frowns as soon as she spots Azumi from up the stairs. People who do not know the experience of being struck down like a peasant with that wooden sword and dragged back to the shackles of detention again and again and again would simply see a bored girl sitting in front of a door. But no, the true nature great aura surrounding the headmaster's pet is absolutely plain to Laura. A familiar feeling wells up in her throat -- the same sense of anticipation and hesitation she had every night when she protected the night streets of Tokyo from evils of all kind.

"Well, well, well," Laura saunters down the stairs, grinning. "'Sup, Azumi. Didn't realize the headmaster had you out of class today." She leans back and crosses her arms in a display of aggressively relaxed coolness. The look in her eye is much like one gang leader getting ready to challenge another to a fight. Or just saying hello. The two are actually very similar.

"Listen, we need your help. Something is going on, and it's gotta be big. Lovelace went and locked ten people in detention today, not telling us a drat thing, and he says he's gonna keep us in there until someone confesses. And it's not even just people like us, either; it's just a bunch of random people he thinks might have snuck in here and done something apparently so horrible."

"I mean, we got class reps like Miss Commando over here," she points to Aubrey, and then quickly tucks her hand back under her arm," and even that Great Safety Warlord Daigo guy in there. Oh, and that smelly fedora guy too. Can you believe that?" Laura chuckles, "Ten random people locked up all day, every day, for something that we know nothing about."

"So that's why we're here. We gotta find out what the deal is down here and you gotta let us in."

Not quite sure if this delinquent diplomacy falls better under Flashy or Forceful. I rolled with the former but if it's the ladder add another +1 to it.
<Takanago> !r fudge+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, ////+2 = 2
Invoking Azumi Kamiyama, You're Our Only Hope for free and spending a FP to invoke my Passion: Juvenile Delinquency, for 2 +2's, giving a final total of +6 (or +7)

• Locked thread