Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Daigo Minami, Super High School Level Evil Overlord

High Concept: Lawful Evil
Invoke: Exercise his power, bend the rules, command respect.
Compel: Rivals make trouble, teachers get sick of his poo poo, he must defend his domain.

Trouble: ...Lawful Good
Invoke: Have people overlook his weirdness, utilize his spotless reputation, cheer someone up or solve a problem by being absurdly nice to it.
Compel: Get called out, have trouble handling the politics of his position, not be able to reconcile his image with his actions.

Passion: Only You Can Prevent Eldritch Fires!
Invoke: Know how to avoid harm, be extremely familiar with the school's nooks and crannies, have a safety precaution on hand JUST IN CASE.
Compel: Get a little too intense about safety, have trouble taking an unsafe risk, be an insufferable nag.

Magic: Tendrils of Unfathomable Blackness
Invoke: Make something go away in a very painful fashion, make a big show of having powerful magic, actually do something subtle for once.
Compel: Subtlety doesn't work out too well, put people in danger with the collateral damage, get the attention of something unpleasant with his creepy powers.

Aspect: Strike A Pose
Invoke: Have the right costume for the job, pull off an intimidating or impressive display, be well-groomed and/or attractive.
Compel: Obsess too much about his image, go too far and look laughable, never not stand out.

Aspect: Um, What Was That?
Invoke: Stumble into something accidentally, be experienced using his other strengths to make up for lack of book-learnin', come up with an unusual solution from his weird brain.
Compel: Be terribad at research, have someone know he's not the sharpest and take advantage of it, not know something that probably should be common knowledge.

Aspect: You There! Yes, You! Get Me A Coffee!
Invoke: Have others cover for his weaknesses, leverage his popularity, use persuasion that borders on supernatural.
Compel: Trouble within the ranks, be horrible at subtlety on account of never needing it himself, be bossier than is really necessary.

Approaches
Careful: +2
Clever: +0
Flashy: +3
Forceful: +2
Quick: +1
Sneaky: +1

Stunts
Make Way, Peons!: It's really kind of curious how popular Daigo is. When he encounters someone for the first time, he can spend a fate point to already have a positive relationship with them when it makes sense to do so, creating an advantage.
USE A RUNE WHEN YOU ATTUNE: Once per scene, Daigo can reveal that his obsessive safety precautions have negated the consequence of one of his or his classmates' failed or backfired spells.
Free stunt slot for later use

Hope: OOO

Refresh: 3

Daigo, who had previously been goggling at the sheer implausibility of him being put in detention of all places—it had happened before, but revisionist history is best history—stands up suddenly, slamming his palms down on his desk and looking at each of the room's denizens in turn. Plenty of the usual suspects, sure, but Aubrey is one of his most dedicated generals, and even she was picked up. (The class representatives usually didn't appreciate being referred to as his generals, but, uh...

...it seems he doesn't particularly care.)

Surely this is no mere detention, he thinks; how often were people put in detention for nine hours? No, this smells fishy. This smells of...foul play. Surely, some petty rival had planned this, and were now making their move as he sits there in detention. They would fail, of course, but picking up in the aftermath is tedious as heck. This is unacceptable.

"Peons, Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama, and General Murphy!" His loud voice penetrates to the corners of the room. People often wonder if Daigo is capable of an indoor voice. "Surely, while some of you can...make trouble from time to time," he eyes Laura with a little weariness, "none of you are truly blackhearted and foolhardy enough to peruse the Forbidden Sections and put the entire school, nay, the entire island at risk. There must be further circumstances behind our imprisonment, something we aren't being told. We must investigate, posthaste!"

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami
FP/Refresh: 3/3 Hope: OOO

"What I did yesterday...hmm." Daigo, realizing that he's still standing up in a dynamic pose, sits back down and puts a hand to his chin in thought. "I was at Mr. West's office, seeking his assistance on his last chemistry assignment. Following that, I went to the council lounge and was beaten, thoroughly and repeatedly, by Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama—who takes advantage of infinite combos like a blackguard knave—at King of Tekken. After that I chaired a meeting with the Safety Committee, reported the results to Her Majesty Bobbi Shrewsbury of the Palace of the Soul, and spent the rest of the night in my room, watching movies on my laptop."

Generally, the more Daigo respects you, the longer and more obnoxious the title he will give you. Bobbi...Bobbi commands respect.

"None of us have others to corroborate where we were at all times yesterday, however, and thus there are holes during which any of us could easily have snuck down to the library, given that we do not know when the misdeed occurred. That is probably part of why we were chosen--or should I say, framed." He seems really sold on this theory of his.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami
FP/Refresh: 4/3 Hope: OOO

Daigo goggles down at Laura's, um, interesting choice of travel before stepping back and crossing his arms. That is definitely three stories, and he doesn't have gloves, and the landing isn't secured, and really it's all extremely unsafe. He keeps glancing out the window, and it's obvious he wants to go with and get his investigation on, but...it's detention, not the end of the world or something, right? It can wait.

"I will remain here until they can open the door, and I suggest those without gloves do the same, if they don't want a repeat performance of...that. I trust General Murphy and Commander of Heaven and Earth Kobushiyama to supervise, and someone must remain to oversee those remaining. Undoubtedly we will find a way closer to the truth while they are out."

So he says, but he definitely looks torn.

Compelling Only You Can Prevent Eldritch Fires! to be a stick-in-the-mud about safety.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

Looking out the window with some mixture of impatience and petulance as the others walk away to do whatever investigating they are up to, Daigo taps his foot, paces a little, and gives an affected siiiiigh. Truly, the burden of the overlord is heavy, and even one such as he is sometimes hobbled by its weight.

Still, though, something Kobushiyama said earlier had piqued his interest, and rather than uselessly debating with the others in the room without any evidence to back anything up, he decides that he should be exercising the power afforded him to get to the bottom of this nonsense. He whips out his phone (decorated, of course, with an absurd black metallic case that looks like full plate armor for a phone) and searches through his address book, settling on the name he thinks is most appropriate for the situation. Then he pointedly hits "call" and raises it to his ear.

"Your Majesty of the Palace of the Soul? It is I. I suspect that I, along with several of your other followers, have been framed for intrusion into the Forbidden Sections. Yes, those Forbidden Sections. This is no laughing matter, Your Majesty; we have been placed in detention for the entire day, and I suspect several days further until someone confesses, which they won't. Who knows what havoc will be wrought with both myself and Commander Kobushiyama rendered impotent? I request your assistance, as obviously we are somewhat...indisposed."

It's time to bring in the big guns.

Invoking ...Lawful Good to leverage his position on the student council to get a line to Bobbi.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

"I have secured...eyes elsewhere," he says uneasily, clearly not used to this 'not being there himself' thing. "If you could make their investigation into the matter easier, it would work out for all of us. Alternatively, if Your Majesty has the time, I will personally balance this month's council budget if you can secure more details from Lovelace that he would not allow us, as 'suspects.' Something is amiss, and he will tell you more than he will tell us." No title, even Principal. Hm.

The council budget is...a bone of contention. Nobody ever wants to do it, and it's usually assigned as a punishment; explaining to the school why $500 went toward "miscellaneous council goods," for example, for Kobushiyama to buy the newest Playstation for the council lounge on the school's dime. (Daigo personally can't see the difference between the Playstation 12 and the Playstation 13, but people swear up and down that the visuals are so much sharper.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami
FP: 2/3 Hope: OOO

A Truth spell, hm? That could be...bad news, for a number of reasons and a number of people. That in mind, Daigo thanks Konami, stuffs his phone back in his pocket, and slips out of the room to investigate. The library's most likely covered, so the next best thing, working from the information he has, is to check out the situation with the hacked card. He's no computer ace, but maybe there's a record somewhere of card creation or alteration.

Lovelace's office is right out, and he'd...rather not step into the domain of Jermyn if he has a choice, so the Council Lounge it is, for some investigation. Sinister, lordly investigation.

Using a Careful (+2) approach to check the council lounge systems for weirdness.

<Panic_at_Nabisco> !roll 4df+2
<Krysmbot> Panic_at_Nabisco, ///-+2 = 1
<Panic_at_Nabisco> i hate everything

Invoking Um, What Was That? to have no idea what he's doing, click some things, and stumble into more relevant information, bringing the roll up to 3.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

To be honest, Daigo hadn't really expected to be able to get the records. This room was a little bit like a black box he didn't open on account of it being loving terrifying, no thanks to Mojibake. Of course, when he used the trick his dad had taught him for dealing with computers...

("Remember, son. When it comes to computers, the best thing to do is open where the program files are kept and click for dear life until something sticks." The Minami clan: not techies. Not at all.)

...well, he'd found some weird freeware games Mojibake must have been playing in his spare time, and then he and Konami had sort of freaked out about why he'd opened "amtlib.dll" when that was clearly nothing good, and finally he'd found the records through a combination of trial-and-error and sheer dumb luck. He tried valiantly to hide how utterly mystified he was by the victory, and coughed.

"Of course, Commander. If I couldn't find the records when something dangerous happened, what kind of lord would I be? Let's continue investigating." He scoffs and starts looking through the history.

"If it's the computer club, then..." He pulls up the history of card changes for Fred Jermyn, and then one on Laura...for good measure. We all have our prejudices.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

"Hmm...I haven't even heard that name before," he mumbles, disconcerted. How is it that there is a student who has escaped his notice? (There are plenty.) He runs one more quick check on this Dudley Buffington before standing up and addressing Konami.

"Commander, how much time would you estimate we have before Lovelace returns? I would like to get some more investigation done, but I fear the consequences if he comes back to an almost empty detention hall."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

Returning from the council lounge to the main school building, Konami in tow making sure he doesn't make too much noise on his way back, Daigo passes by Madoka and Jia meeting by the lockers, implicitly assuming he is both welcome and invited, and joins the conversation, answering Madoka's question meant for Jia without so much as a "hello." Though, really, everyone should probably expect this from him by now.

"The Commander and I took a look at the keycard records in the Council lounge; some insubordination has occurred which must eventually be dealt with, but I cannot be sure how much is related to the matter at hand. The computer club is, however, suspect nonetheless, and should be subject to further investigation." He nods his head sagely, crossing his arms.

e: Got it!

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 21, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Daigo Minami

Daigo stands tall and scowls. "Peon Kaiya, this behavior will NOT be tolerated," he thunders, darkness beginning to coalesce around his fingertips. You, uh...it's not a very good idea to attack Daigo, generally. Especially if you're just a student and not some kind of unknown horror from beyond the pale.

With a genuinely kind of scary look and a swipe of his hand, Daigo concentrates and creates sharp spears of crystallized darkness which soar through the air toward the tsukumogami, making a really rather demoralizing screeching, keening noise as they do so.

Flashily attacking with terrifying dark magic!

<Krysmbot> Panic_at_Nabisco, ++--+3 = 3
<Panic_at_Nabisco> I'll take it

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Hey yeah sorry I've been quiet, it is on account of Troublesome Real Life Things

Daigo Minami
FP: 2/3 Hope: XOO

"Commander, we have spoken about this." Daigo puts a hand on Konami's shoulder; they've known each other for quite a while, if not too closely, so he at least knows that it would be bad if she got too riled up. "Effective rulers must remain calm, and you are one of my best."

He isn't too happy about people having gone through his locker, but he can forgive it if it's for the investigation.

Carefully trying to calm Konami down, -/-++2 = 1, whoops. Oh well.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

FP: 2/3 Hope: XOO

"Is nobody else...worried by peon Madoka's wardrobe of mysterious origin? If we are all going to have our belongings rifled through," he says with a touch of regal annoyance, "I believe it would be prudent to have another look with its defenses disabled. My lord father always said that nothing good comes of shops which disappear when one wishes to become a repeat customer." He taps his foot, slightly impatient at Fred's ridiculous antics and how everyone else is overreacting to them. He is annoying, true, but not to the point where everyone has to dogpile on him; that will only make him more defensive.

"...Besides, having such a thing around is a flagrant violation of school safety rules, so it is my duty to investigate such." He shoots Madoka a glare.

Not sure what aspect applies to invoking the school rules to get what he wants, so I'm gonna go ahead and say Carefully trying to convince Madoka to let them have a look. -/+/+2 = 2.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

FP: 1/3 Hope: XOO

Uh, no, sorry, that's not happening to anyone ever nope nope nope nope nope nooooooope

"Even without considering the fact that a fair trial is necessary even for the most heinous of crimes--even without considering that you wish to murder a student in this school, under my protection, for trespassing in a goddamn library," he takes a breath, "I will not and cannot allow that. I would be a poor ruler indeed if I allowed those I watch over to kill each other, and I am sure the Commander and Her Majesty agree with me."

He gives Madoka the staredown. "There will be no attempts made on lives here, culprit or no, am I correct?"

It's, uh...it's kinda loving terrifying. Daigo is usually a mild, harmless sort of crazy, so this is new.

Flashily convincing Madoka that killing will not happen here, and there will be severe and unpleasant consequences if it does. +-+/+3 = 4, invoking Lawful Evil to make that a 6 because ain't no way he's letting that stand.

e: hahaha forgot to actually link my roll

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Yo, phoneposting at nearly 3 AM, I make no promises of quality

FP: 1/3 Hope: XOO

"Wong." Daigo takes the handshake warily, as if expecting it to be somehow poisoned. Or rigged to register him in a database of sex offenders or something. Computers!

There is little he has to discuss with CAS members, mostly because he sort of shares Konami's stance on computers: beyond internet browsing and word processing, they are sort of strange and powerful things that he does not really think he will ever fully understand beyond sort of clicking around and hoping things work. Command prompt control may as well be a school of magic in and of itself.

"We have reason to believe members of your club have been granting all-access privileges to student cards. ...More than usual, I suppose." He puts his hand to his chin in thought. "This would be of little consequence if it weren't for the recent Forbidden Sections breakin. We would therefore request from you permission to investigate this matter with members of your club."

• Locked thread