Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I got one of the red models and it starts humming when you turn phantom power on both channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

So I'm going back to school for music composition and have to get a new Macbook Pro. Is it worth investing in a clarett2 interface now when I have a Akai Pro EIE and a Firewire Solo I could adapter into working with thunderbolt or just deal with the slow usb 1.1 speeds of the EIE? Should I try to sell them at this point since I hardly use more than an interface or two and the clarett would last me a while and can be upgraded to have more inputs? And hell I just thought about compatibility issues man I should probably sell some stuff and get new gear.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm it's able to use USB-C (cable is a seperate purchase) and has a specific driver for that that I see some mention as helping the latency but I can't imagine that'd you'd see a huge change from gen 2 to gen 3 for latency otherwise.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Focusrite says it can use USB C but yes except for the low latency driver (which says it’s for the USB c) you won’t notice a big difference.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Like bluntly, buy the gen 3 if you want the air boost, otherwise who gives a poo poo.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

chippy posted:

Where do they say this? I'm failing to see why there would be a different driver for a USB-A <-> USB-C cable vs USB-C <-> USB-C. It's just a different form factor for the physical connector. Unless your device supports USB 3.0, which the new interfaces don't, USB 2 over USB-C cables/connectors is still just USB 2.

Well I do if the latency is lower as they claim. Live performance/looping is one of the main things I use Ableton Live for and I'm really sensitive to latency while playing keys (not so much with guitar and vocals, not sure why, but I'm a much more competent and technical pianist than I am a guitarist, so maybe that's it) so I want it as low as possible.

I misread something on the protoolsexpert review about the driver being because of the USB-C (although all the reviews all talk about the USB-C being a factor for better speed which is nonsense to me). So there is even less of a reason to get it for latency.

Like seriously your buffer and sample rate will do more for latency than the device driver. Like I said, get the new one if you want the air boost or I guess the direct monitoring since that's also new. Or wait until someone puts numbers out but that might be a long wait since most of these reviewers won't do that.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Oh huh, i didn't have much experience with the gen 1s, they didn't have the control software until gen 2 I guess.

Also I only got to look at a solo for a minute a couple weeks back before it was gone, is the control software how to activate the pad and air boost and it's just lights on the physical unit?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Just a warning that I’ve been finding some interfaces don’t play well with adapters. The clarett 4 pre (thunderbolt) driver doesn’t seem to work with a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

It's weird. I revisited the topic last year, in a test that includes the Novation Audiohub (which is more or less a re-skinned Scarlett 2i2 that uses the 1.x drivers) amd the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB, which uses the newer drivers.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2018/04/comparing-usb-audio-interface-latency.html

I found that the Clarett driver performs notably better than the original Scarlett USB driver on smaller buffer sizes, but gets exponentially worse with increasing buffer size- to the point where latency is worse than even the original 2i2 drivers, once the buffers reach a certain size. After doing that work, I learned of a theory that the new Scarlett drivers internally double the buffer size selected by the user/reported by the driver, which would explain the exponentially-increasing lag if true. But why they did that, I don't know... could be they were focusing on reliability/stability over performance when doing comparative testing at different sample rates and that was a quick hack to make it seem like they're reliable as RME at the same settings, for example.

Again, this was April 2018. Focusrite might have tightened things up since then. But yeah, on Windows at least, with ASIO, driver quality might be the #1 factor in low latency performance.

I would give up an arm for more testing for audio interfaces that do shoot outs like that.

chippy posted:

Well that's kind of annoying, I asked around when I was researching my last purchase and everyone told me the same thing, it makes very little difference, it's down to your computer.

I ended up with a 3rd Gen Scarlett 18i20 and I'm happy with it so far, so I'm glad to hear they have improved. It's definitely better than the Mbox 2 Mini it replaced, with that I couldn't play certain instruments live in Ableton with a buffer size of 64 without getting crackles and popping, and i can with the Scarlett, so there obviously is some difference.

Yeah that was last page, I had mentioned reports of the USB-C driver helping with latency on the gen 3s but being unsure if that would be a significant difference because someone saying, "It's better than before!" without quantifying it means so loving little. Sorry if I gave a bad impression on that.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I wonder if it's something to do with how it does monitoring. Is the sound when you do tracking/recording the direct input sound or the processed sound? Are you setting up garageband to do input monitoring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I think the response was just because it's a newer product that is very similar to the original except for it's gimmick of having sounds built in which is a weird one. Either that or someone has never been to a non-english Amazon before? I dunno.

So cable wise get a 1/8 inch trs/stereo/headphone to 1/4 inch ts/mono/guitar/instrument/patch and you're set yeah.

From searching: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Hosa-CM...88583053&sr=8-1