Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I will spend tonight getting outrageously drunk and playing games and return with some semblance of a plan, just like Don Draper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are you hoping to cleave closer to actual X-characters from that era, or should we go hog wild? I'd rather aim for something closer to what you're thinking of in the first place than to try to sell you on Mr. Sinister as a nemesis of Austin Powers.

Also, is Fantomex cheating?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Then what about...Reverse Raccoon Man?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ironically, two of the characters that interest me were supposed to be published in the War of Kings book which, if I’m not mistaken, never saw the light of day. I couldn't even find an unofficial one, so I'll run this one up the flagpole. If you don't dig it, I'll bug out.

quote:

Thunderbird (John James “Jim” Wakiya)

AFFILIATIONS
Solo d8
Buddy d6
Team d10

DISTINCTIONS
Apache and Proud
Warrior Born and Bred
Thousand-Yard Stare

THUNDER WARRIOR
Superhuman Strength d10
Superhuman Durability d10
Enhanced Stamina d8
Enhanced Speed d8
Enhanced Senses d8
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more THUNDER WARRIOR powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Berserk. Spend 1 PP to add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you’re done.
Limit: Mutant

SPECIALTIES
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Menace Expert d8

MILESTONES

On the Warpath
1 XP when you discuss your war experiences.
3 XP when you butt heads with a teammate in a heated situation.
10 XP when you renounce violence as a solution, or throw yourself at a mission objective with absolutely no restraint.

Apache X
1 XP when you speak out on civil rights to a new audience.
3 XP when you expose yourself to defend your people from bigotry.
10 XP when you abandon your current cause in disillusionment, or take command of a team to fight for liberation...by any means necessary.

Jim Wakiya has a long history with Charles Xavier. His older brother, Proud Star Wakiya, would have been part of Xavier's first class of students if he had gotten past the initial interview without flying into a tantrum. Xavier, truth be told, was concerned that the boy's extreme behavioral issues would lead to him dying on his watch before Xavier could help him. Instead, Proud Star died in Korea, where his burgeoning mutant powers were not enough to save him from an exploding ammunition dump.

Jim shared his brother's desire to prove himself as a warrior. He blamed Proud Star's death on all the people who might have saved him but didn't--including himself and Charles Xavier, but not the United States Marine Corps. Jim lied about his age and joined up, and was attached to the Military Assistance Advisory Group that Eisenhower sent to train the Vietnamese. His powers came to light during an insurgent bombing, and for his second tour of duty he was assigned to a covert "X-team" consisting mostly of other mutants.

During this second tour, Wakiya slowly came to belief that the US government had no more sympathy for mutants than the Soviets, but were keenly aware of the potential to use mutants as living weapons. Under the codename "Warpath," Wakiya participated in black ops missions throughout Southeast Asia, foiling Soviet and Chinese attempts to not only foment communist rebellion but coopt and even create superpowered agents of their own. He clashed violently with his own teammates, who included a Canadian assassin, a German special forces agent, and a Native American serial killer, among others. After bombing a laboratory which had been conducting experiments to enhance and even induce mutant abilities, Wakiya returned to America convinced that he had contributed to nothing but a mutant arms race.

Disillusioned, Jim Wakiya joined Charles Xavier at his Westchester academy. Although he considers Xavier patronizing and is dubious of his vision, he believes there must be a better future than race war. He has shed the button-downed military look and returned to social activism for both mutant and Native American rights. Jim has the instincts of a warrior, not an organizer, but his heart is in the right place. Time will tell if that's enough.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No, for God's sake, don't actually read the book! It's terribly written. To actually understand how the system works you should read the TG thread about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Morand posted:

No no. Reading the thread and actual game, not the sourcebooks. I tried to read the trad game thread and I was still lost. If I could ever sit down and play it I'm sure I'd get it, but as it stands all I know is you roll alot of dice
It's actually pretty simple. The way it works is:

1. Take one die from each of your categories (Affiliation, Distinction, one from each Power Set, Specialty). Roll 'em.
2. Add the numbers on any two dice (your choice) to get your total. Pick another you rolled to get your effect die. (It doesn't matter what you rolled on the effect die, so if you rolled a 1 on a d12, you'd choose that.)
3. The total determines whether or not you succeeded. The effect die determines the power of whatever you were trying to do. So if you your effect die is d8, you can create a d8 Asset (advantage) for your allies, inflict a d8 Stress die (damage) on your enemy, etc.

Now the problem with the book is that before it gets to step 3, it goes into all the ways you can use Plot Points and SFX to push, combine, split, increase, and keep extra dice before and after you roll them, and using Plot Points to alter Stress and Assets before you know what those are and why they matter. So it's a RPG that takes 22 pages to explain its basic rolling mechanic, and it's a superhero game that takes 22 pages to explain how to punch Tiger Shark in his stupid goddamned face.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, you're right about opportunities. Hi, I'm Margaret Weis, let's talk about opportunities before you learn how your powers work...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If they're introduced, Thunderbird is wearing his under a buckskin jacket.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What about a barbarian queen and a wizard?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just want to say that I never wanted to play a racial caricature, I've just been reading Vine Deloria and it turns out Native Americans are the most self-consciously funny people on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, I wasn't sure if you were going to do another post with defense rolls and/or detailing exactly what happens as a result of the attack mechanically; I didn't realize the attack itself pretty much takes care of it. I'm a post from the office, since I know exactly what I planned to do.

• Locked thread