Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

njsykora posted:

MOTY: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Hirooki Goto - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

John Cena posted:

Yep, they had to follow Ishii/Naito and loving delivered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Cena posted:

I'd hesitate to even call it an HM to be honest, except that the finish delivered in spades and elevated the rest of the match. So I guess I'd say:

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Hirooki Goto - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Leaving for work. Had to miss this show. Sounds rad, will watch replay immediately.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

I'll third this, that was as good as could possibly be expected after that last match which was ***** in my book.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Leaving for work. Had to miss this show. Sounds rad, will watch replay immediately.

ishii/naito was a full five.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

Do yourself a favor and skip the last match of the first half and the first match of the last half.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Yeah, it's tough to evaluate Okada/Goto right now, in the aftermath of an instant classic gem like Naito/Ishii. It's PROBABLY a low-tier MotYC match, because I think it's on a level above "nifty tag team juniors match" but it's definitely not as good as Goto/Shibata or even Okada/Naito in my opinion.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

MOTYC
  • Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan (WWE Royal Rumble 01/26)
  • Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW Road to The New Beginning 02/02)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (NJPW The New Beginning 02/09)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW The New Beginning 02/11)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto (NJPW The New Beginning 02/11)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

golden oldies pete posted:

MOTYC

those things

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

drat, gotta buy that replay when I get home

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Adding nods for

Ishii/Naito and Goto/Okada for MOTYC and Desperado/Ibush for HM.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I would also like to nominate Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito(c) competing for the NEVER Openweight Championship and Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Hirooko Goto competing for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, both of which took place at the New Japan Pro Wrestling event "The New Beginning in Osaka" from the 11th February 2014 as Match of the Year Contenders.

If the Ishii/Naito match had taken place last year, I would seriously be throwing it in there with the two Okada/Tanahashi ***** matches as another match to consider when voting for my personal MOTY last month. Just a loving spectacular show of professional wrestling. The Okada/Goto match wasn't quite as good, but it's still leaps and bounds ahead of almost everything I've seen this year so far and needs to get the nomination just to make sure it gets its due and the eyeballs and replay buys it deserves.

gently caress I love this hobby sometimes.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MOTYC
  • Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan (WWE Royal Rumble 01/26)

• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (NJPW The New Beginning 02/09)
Nthing all of these.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Posting to say I liked the main event more than Naito/Ishii.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MOTYC

Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 02/11 NJPW The New Beginning
Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto - 02/11 NJPW The New Beginning

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

John Cena posted:

ishii/naito was a full five.

The only thing that could have made it better is a more impactful finisher. I don't really like Ishii's brainbuster that looks like a suplex. Match totally ruled though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MOTYC

nth

holy gently caress

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
nth to Naito/Ishii and Okada/Goto for MOTY

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
MOTYC: Naito/Ishii, Okada/Goto

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

The IWGP title match was better than the NEVER title match imo, both great though. Shibata squaring up to Okada was hype as gently caress too

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

MOTYC - Volador Jr vs Mascara Dorada - NJPW/CMLL Fantasticmania 1/19

Bringing this one back because I thought to nominate it for a MOTYC when it happened but assumed a lot more people were going to mention it before me but didn't. Thought this was a good match with tons of crazy dives on a show that was very fun.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I never bothered to do MOTYCs last year and then when the PSP awards came about I was kind of dismayed to see that a lot of my favorites weren't on the ballot because they got zero nominations or seconds, so this year I will TRY to do something about it.

MOTYC: Masaaki Mochizuki vs Masato Yoshino (c) - 01/16 Dragon Gate: Open the New Year Gate

It is goddamn insane that Mochizuki at age 44 (roughly Triple H/Batista age), working the style that he does, can still absolutely bring it the way he does here. This match is to commemorate his 20 years of wrestling, and he's going up against the much younger champion Yoshino. This is right up there with the MOTYCs New Japan has put on this year, and more people should go check it out because Dragon Gate's been on a really good streak too for a while now.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 13, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Daryl Surat posted:

MOTYC: Masaaki Mochizuki vs Masato Yoshino (c) - 01/16 Dragon Gate: Open the New Year Gate

Second

MOTYC: Ishii/Naito 2/11 NJPW The New Beginning
MOTYC: Okada/Goto 2/11 NJPW The New Beginning
HM: Desperado/Ibushi 2/11 NJPW The New Beginning
MOTYC: Tanahashi/Nakamura 2/9 NJPW

ChampRamp fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 13, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Daryl Surat posted:

I never bothered to do MOTYCs last year and then when the PSP awards came about I was kind of dismayed to see that a lot of my favorites weren't on the ballot because they got zero nominations or seconds, so this year I will TRY to do something about it.

It is goddamn insane that Mochizuki at age 44 (roughly Triple H/Batista age), working the style that he does, can still absolutely bring it the way he does here. This match is to commemorate his 20 years of wrestling, and he's going up against the much younger champion Yoshino. This is right up there with the MOTYCs New Japan has put on this year, and more people should go check it out because Dragon Gate's been on a really good streak too for a while now.

Absolutely agreed. Seconded.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

Yeah this was great. 4th'd.

I really want to watch more Dragon Gate but I don't have any idea when they do iPPVs or other major shows. Is there a resource for this because the ones I've found don't make any distinction between house shows and big supercards I could actually pay to watch like the Kobe festival?

oatgan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 13, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

http://www.openthedragongate.com/ has a lot of stuff.

As far as schedule I think maybe Puro Love has that down?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 13, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Another vote for Ishii/Naito 2/11 NJPW The New Beginning, Match of the Year Candidate.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've been sitting on this for a while; I've got to get it off my chest.

HM: Bobby Roode vs. James Storm, TNA One Night Only: #OldSchool

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Yes to Ishii/Naito for MOTY. That was insane.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
WMOTY - Bully Ray vs Ken Anderson Casket Match - Impact Wrestling 2/13/2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
HM - Bully Ray vs. Mr. Anderson - Impact Wrestling, 2/13

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

CaptainYesterday posted:

Is there a comedy section for HMs?

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Batista posted:

Second.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Batista posted:

CaptainYesterday posted:

Both of these, simultaneously. It was amazing in its awfulness.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

please don't troll

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

please don't troll

I swear to god I'm not trolling, it was an awful, ridiculously stupid match, but at the same time, it was quick, it was exciting, and it had some kind-of-clever stuff. It was fun, and also awful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now admittedly I haven't watched Impact in quite some time, but why on Earth would Bully Ray and Anderson have a casket match? How does it fit in with either of their gimmicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Jerusalem posted:

Now admittedly I haven't watched Impact in quite some time, but why on Earth would Bully Ray and Anderson have a casket match? How does it fit in with either of their gimmicks?

Bully Ray is the Costco Undertaker now.

• Locked thread