Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

He Who Wears Pants posted:

I guess the only interracial downside(?) to this relationship is that American Chinese food has been completely ruined for me.

The trick is to completely divorce it conceptually from Chinese cuisine. It's American food and so long as you think about it like that, it's fine. Just ignore any dishes that you can actually get in China (like Kung Pao Chicken) and stick to the things that don't exist on a real Chinese menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Depending on where you are in Asia, you might get an angry grandparent or the occasional racist dad who don't want their daughter involved with a white guy, more so if the white guy is "one of those English teachers they heard about on the news". I noticed this way more in Korea than in Taiwan or China, but it happens in every country.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

I used to work for a company in China that employed a lot of Japanese people, and "Taiwanese people are really materialistic/obsessed with new devices/LV bags/etc, don't you think?" came up a whole lot when I mentioned to them that I studied there for some time. I have never heard that before or since, so I thought it was just a weird thing I ran across.

I got my MA in Chinese and my cohort had more than a few white, western women and one gay dude who had a real and very overt thing for East Asian dudes, so I guess they're in the minority. Most people who do graduate degrees in languages are pretty far from the norm though.

I've run into this a few times, though I think it stereotypes a very specific type of Taiwanese girl. The ones that are "supposed to be" materialistic are either ABCs who've returned to the island, foreign educated, or those that aspire to be. It's more that they've been "corrupted" by western/foreign influence than anything else. "True" Taiwanese girls just want to work hard and support their parents.

So Japanese people or westerners living near Asian diaspora communities might run into this stereotype more often, but again it's all about selection bias.

In Taiwan itself, the easiest place to see this cultural divide is in the night club scene. The places that are all you can drink tend to be populated by local Taiwanese who went to local schools and universities and a handful of foreigners who want to get drunk at a low price, more often university students than foreigners with jobs. Then you have the expensive downtown clubs with a cover and dress code where everyone speaks English with an American accent. Foreigners, be they western or Asian, who hang out exclusively in these places would get a very different impression of "Taiwanese women" than if they were "slumming it" at clubs or bars that catered to a local crowd.

But all this really says to me is that there is an economic divide. If you only hang out with rich people, of course you're going to think they're materialistic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Eej posted:

If you wanna believe Wikipedia, there's the Women and Offspring section of this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitutes_in_South_Korea_for_the_U.S._military

Which kinda says all you need to know about that kind of relationship in South Korea.

From my time there, I saw a lot more soldiers with Filipinas than I did with South Korean women. The stigma and racism against interracial relationships is very, very strong there. I would ride the subway with a Chinese-Canadian girl and she was bound to get yelled at by an old drunk man for being a whore (despite not being Korean).

• Locked thread