Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
I'm myself half-Asian (China) and half-White (northern Europe), born and raised in Australia and in the United States, and then finally in Europe. So in every case, unless I date an Eurasian guy, I will end up in an interracial relationship. I've never seen myself as an Asian, despite my genetics really making me look like kind of Asian.
Now, my parents are not that open. My father dislikes Jews so Jews are a no-no. My mother is scared of Arabs (even if they're not muslims) since she has seen a movie about some Iranian guy beating his American wife (yes and Iranians are not even Arabs to start with). I have few Middle-Eastern friends and she doesn't really want me to hang out with them.
My mother doesn't want Blacks and Asians either. So there are only White people left. Living in a country with mostly White people, it's not a very big issue but it still bothers me. The rest of the world can't be that bad.
I've dated for a couple of months a smart French guy. She didn't know that I was dating him but she knew him. My mother didn't like him because he was too short (180 cm at least, she said) and he was kind of unusual for a guy (he worries a lot). Nothing bad happened between us, but he's just too busy with his job so we're having a small "break" for maybe half year.

So what I'm doing right now is that I'm not dating anyone for some time. I don't let myself go easily, anyway. I hope that my mom will get tired with her own bullshit after couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Stitch Lich posted:

In my case, my mother did not want me ending up with a Filipino man because she associates them with the culture of machismo she saw her father and brothers engage in - having multiple mistresses, illegitimate children, leaving the family for weeks at a time to party and whore around etc.

Yep. My mom is indeed Asian. And she sees Asian men in the exact same way. In her eyes, only White men are the closest to perfection (which is mostly associated with gentleman-like features).

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
My mother has seen Not Without my Daughter (long story made short: Iranian husband being awful with his American wife, and yes, Iranians are not Arabs). I remember how she told me to stay away from Arabs (and Blacks) when I was a little kid. On the other hand, I don't think it might bother my (Scandinavian) father at all. He just doesn't like Jews.

Edit: personal stuff a little more hidden.

Knight Corgi fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 19, 2014

• Locked thread