Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Knight Corgi posted:

My mother doesn't want Blacks and Asians either.

Either your mom is Asian or married an Asian so how does that even work in your mind. In any case, why are you even acquesizing to your parent's preference unless it's out of sheer expedience. I mean, it's just flat out racism.

Anyhoo, to contribute. Sometimes things just go smoothly in an interacial relationship. I'm Chinese-American dude dating an Italian-American girl. Had no trouble with my parents, they loved her on sight. Was a bit worried about meeting her extended Italian family on Christmas which was nice. They even got me presents, which was unexpected and a little embarassing since I only got her immediate family gifts. Her grandmother got me a set of Axe body products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

As far as I know it's never disqualified me from dating anyone, but I live in LA where that kind of thing isn't very acceptable publicly.

That's so weird. LA is a big city, not the boondocks. I'm Asian, dating an Italian girl and white/asian pairings here in NY would elicite less interest than say, protestant and catholic.

Maybe, it's like a class thing. Everyone I know here falls in the hipster-yuppie continiuum so basically have the same cultural touchstones.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 27, 2014

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I'm just of the opinion that, at least in most major metropolitan cities, Asian are like a decade away from joining "White" America. We'll be like off-white, eggshell, like Irish, Italians, and Jews. Like there will still be seriously offensive portrayals in the media, but in the corridors of power, finance, and the creative sectors it'll be a non-issue.

My Asian-American friends are surprisingly, not thrilled with the idea.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I have some friends who lived in Manhatten, and they got a lot of grief. Some of it was minor, just rude stares. Other incidents were truly threatening to their safety. She was a red head of Irish decent, he was Chinese. They said the amount of poo poo they got was very unexpected. It was one of the reasons they moved back to California.

That's totally weird. Like who was threatening them, white people or chinese? I've never experienced anything like that here

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

PT6A posted:

People who have a self-defeating attitude like that are always going to find out they're correct, though. It's the bad attitude, not the race, that people are reacting to. Being insecure is very unsexy, no matter what race you are.

Being a regular gawker in E/N, being an insecure defeatist male is truly something that crosses all racial barriers

In any case, the idea that you "win" women with wealth, biotruth or not, is gross to me on all levels. Having grown up around the Irish, the only proper way is to charm her with the gift the gab. :D

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Kessel posted:

While this is correct, the point is that, because of stereotypical attitudes towards races and cultures,
1) an insecure white male will have an easier time finding a partner despite his insecurity, compared with a similarly-insecure minority male;
and 2) discrimination, real or perceived, is likely to have an impact on the insecurity level of the individual perceiving the discrimination.

Yes, insecurity is sexy. But there are insecure males of all races. The point is that, ceteris paribus, a majority male will find things easier.

I mean, this sounds logical due to how racism in America plays out. But realistically, is it true? All my Asian guy friends are in relationships, like I think literally everyone I know, whereas I know a lot of lonely white dudes.

Experiences may vary, anecdotes not statics, but I think it might be too easy to let the narrative overide reality

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Kessel posted:

Here's another great paper from researchers at Princeton University analysing the data from over a million dating site exchanges, just as many as OKCupid:
http://paa2008.princeton.edu/papers/80046

I've seen that study before. Won't argue the numbers, but like in econometrics I have a feeling (no proof though) that there's an inherent bias in the data in terms of only measuring what's able to be collected.

I think my point is really that, if there's a skewed populaton of lonely Asian American males out there, I'm not really seeing it personally. Like, off the top of my head I can't even think of a single one of my friends who's single. But then again, I'm fully willing to admit that my own experiences do not reflect the majority in America, and also maybe it's due to my age (thirties) that it might look differently for the younger set.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Kessel posted:

Anecdotal evidence doesn't disprove the significant bias because it's possible for the two to coexist - there can be significant bias present AND people can still anecdotally know other people who go against the grain. It doesn't change the fact that on the whole, significant bias appears to be present.

In reflecting, I think the easiest way to explain this is that the study is true across the country, but in regions where there are significant numbers of Asian Americans it's probably much less true.

Like if 10 years ago, you surveyed America you'd see it as incredibly homophobic, but in areas where gay culture actually thrived like San Fran and NY it'd be far less so.

In any case, I'm optimistic that it's a problem that's pretty much going to solve itself within a short amount of time. Growing up in my hometown it was pretty racist, but now there's a much of interacial couples from my high school. There's even more of a ripple effect in that due to facebook everyone can see everyone else's relationships, and even if you aren't dating someone outside your race it's much easier to be exposed to it, and not have it be a complete mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, the Yes-No-Let-Me-Pay game infuriates me, especially when it gets down to actually physically wrestling money out of each others hands in a public resturant. I just don't bring it up at all, ask for the check and give my card in one swift motion to avoid this nonsense.

• Locked thread