Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Imapanda posted:

Lol, I just found out prince is a Jehovah's Witness

Holy cow this video is creepy weird http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NCLZBixxYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Prince cannot do wrong.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
The New Girl episode with him was boss.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
i made eye contact with prince once

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

ashgromnies posted:

I'm a prince fan but what do you mean genres he created?
Minneapolis Sound :cmon:

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Growing up my Aunt and Uncle lived just outside of Chanhassen Minnesota where Prince had his Paisley Park. To me as a child it was like a citadel of purple as we drove by. It was an event to drive by it at night, dozens of purple spot lights lit up every inch of it's facade. Like a musical Mecca I could orient myself depending on how close or how far away we were from Prince's recording studio.

It is strange to think that the Minneapolis area was once a center for pop music. All the greats in the late 80s pop scene recorded in Minneapolis at some point.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kid Gloves posted:

i made eye contact with prince once

How did you manage to keep your eye sockets from burning out due to pure awesomeness

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
I just downloaded the concert film Sign 'o' the Times and holy poo poo it is one of the most amazing piece of musical film I've ever seen. In particular, "Housequake", "If I Was Your Girlfriend", "Play in the Sunshine", "Forever in my Life", "Hot Thing", all amazing. Drumming by Sheila E and wild dancing by Cat Glober, and a full band working it. It's so incredibly well-choreographed and expertly produced, you won't forget it.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Is prince gay?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
4 pages in and not one mention of Raspberry Beret?

Seriously?

Faster
Oct 5, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

4 pages in and not one mention of Raspberry Beret?

Seriously?

Great song off a decent album; what's there to say? In his vast catalog "Raspberry Beret" is just a solid single, which says a lot about how many classics he has. Personally I love it but the production is a little lacking, it feels cold and lacks punch to it.

New Topic: BATMAN THE SOUNDTRACK.

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-prince-electric-chair-snl-1989/a528943aaed639b51cba

New Topic Part II: Sign 'O' the Times (Concert Film)

If you ever get a chance to see this, it's one of the greatest concert films ever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093970/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IFLrb5xBFA

Highlights: Housequake, Hot Thing, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Play in the Sunshine
Low point: The freeze frame during Hot Thing

Faster fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 3, 2014

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
Shockadelica

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
raspberry beret is a poo poo nugget compared to his vast body of work and live musical prowess

i've seen him live like 8 or 9 times now and just holy poo poo

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
regarding the new topic of the batman soundtrack: when i was a kid i liked to listen to soundtracks so i ended up with it and that was my first prince album.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Pro-click.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
is prince gay?

Faster
Oct 5, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayte_Garcia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2014/04/18/304572413/prince-fans-prepare-for-the-deluge

"Prince fans are accustomed to not getting what they want. That's one reason Friday's news came as a shock — that Prince has re-signed, for the first time in 18 years, with Warner Bros. Records, and that an expanded edition of Purple Rain, in time for its 30th anniversary, as well as a new album and unnamed "other planned projects" to come, are all on the way (including , released late last night). Oh — and Prince now owns the master recordings of his iconic '80s recordings, the bone of contention behind his very public, very acrimonious split with the label in the mid-'90s.

Nice as it is to see people let go of long-held grudges, this was actually less surprising than it might have been. Exactly two weeks earlier, a different press release announced that Prince had gained control of his publishing. ("How 'bout them publishing rights? What a laugh," he sang on 1996's "White Mansion." "I don't know Bo but I do know math.") Not only does Prince now administrate his songbook via his own NPG Music Publishing, the latter "is now actively seeking placement for some of Prince's best-loved songs in film, television, video games and the commercial realm."

In short, we are likely in for a blitz. Frankly, it's about time. Prince's music hasn't necessarily gone anywhere, but in an era when even Interpol receives a deluxe, bonus-laden reissue, his are almost the only recordings in their league not to have been given at least a brush-up. And just to be clear about which league that is, for prolificacy, popularity, range, and sustained quality, the only pop catalog to come near Prince's '80s work belongs to the Beatles.

And make no mistake: The catalog can use it. Not because Dirty Mind and 1999 and Purple Rain and Sign 'O' the Times require further validation as masterpieces, but because for many younger listeners, a reissue given the push of a new release is generally the clearest path to attention in an increasingly cluttered and ahistorical array of listening options."

• Locked thread