Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
In this thread we play an exciting round of Finchley Central.

But what is Finchley Central and how do you play it I hear you ask? Well, it was a game described in the Spring 1969 issue of the mathematical magazine Manifold, edited by Ian Stewart and John Jaworski at the University of Warwick. Douglas Hofstadter referred to the article in his book Metamagical Themas. The game is referred to as an "English game" in an article on "non-games" and the rules are as follows:

'Two players alternate naming the stations of the London Underground. The first to say "Finchley Central" wins. It is clear that the "best" time to say "Finchley Central" is exactly before your opponent does. Failing that, it is good that he should be considering it. You could, of course, say "Finchley Central" on your second turn. In that case, your opponent puffs on his cigarette and says, "Well, shame on you".'

I'll kick things off then, shall I?

Cockfosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Platform 9-7/8's to Howgorts School for Warlocks and Wazardry.

Do I win yet?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Platform 9-7/8's to Howgorts School for Warlocks and Wazardry.

Do I win yet?

Controversial move going straight for Kings Cross, did you account for delays on the Northern Line?

Kentish Town.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
Bluckburn Station

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Dylan-D posted:

Bluckburn Station

Not a genuine station I'm afraid, have you not played this game before?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Cockfosters

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Well played sir! Well since there's currently engineering works on the Jubilee Line and my ticket is for all zones...

Chalfont & Latimer

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
Bluckburn Station

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Finchley West motherfuckers! BOOYA! Didn't see that move did you?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

SymfonyMan posted:

Finchley West motherfuckers! BOOYA! Didn't see that move did you?

A classic manouvre!

You've left me with no choice but to take the replacement bus service to Pimlico

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Dylan-D posted:

Bluckburn Station

This may be of some assistance.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

A classic manouvre!

You've left me with no choice but to take the replacement bus service to Pimlico

Throwing down a Pimlico this soon? I'll admit that I wasn't prepared. I'll bow out of the game with a Jedward Memorial Station for any good it will do.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Heathrow Terminal 4

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Heathrow Terminal 4

poo poo's getting real.

I don't think there's really anything I can do here except for the obvious Shepherd's Bush.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Mornington Crescent

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Penge West

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

If this was a Tuesday and after rush hour, that would have been a pretty good move, however...

Tooting Bec

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
El Cerrito Plaza

Or are you not using the Old Bohemian Ruleset?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

El Cerrito Plaza

Or are you not using the Old Bohemian Ruleset?

Oh! I didn't expect that if I'm honest, you sly dog.

Well yes we're using the abridged Old Bohemian Ruleset with Appendix A through to F so my next move will come as little surprise.

Theydon Bois

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Oh! I didn't expect that if I'm honest, you sly dog.

Well yes we're using the abridged Old Bohemian Ruleset with Appendix A through to F so my next move will come as little surprise.

Theydon Bois

Oh well if it's the abridged one than let me confound you further: Herschel Crater, Mimas.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh well if it's the abridged one than let me confound you further: Herschel Crater, Mimas.

Well that's gotten me in quite the pickle! There's only one way I know to get out of this although I'm certain you'll counter with Tooting Broadway...

Kokkai Gijidō-mae Tameike-Sannō (Tokyo Metro)

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Well that's gotten me in quite the pickle! There's only one way I know to get out of this although I'm certain you'll counter with Tooting Broadway...

Kokkai Gijidō-mae Tameike-Sannō (Tokyo Metro)

You ruffian. Very adroit of you, but it seems you've overlooked a very dangerous move indeed.

Olympus Mons Tunnel.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

You ruffian. Very adroit of you, but it seems you've overlooked a very dangerous move indeed.

Olympus Mons Tunnel.

Actually I'll retract my previous move and sit this turn out (as I believe is allowed in a situation like this under the Livingstone Ruling 1974 Van Buren vs. Nimrod) because this would seem like a more sensible way to go, given the circumstances.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
On second thoughts...

Bibliothèque François Mitterrand (Paris Metro - Zone 1)

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Actually I'll retract my previous move and sit this turn out (as I believe is allowed in a situation like this under the Livingstone Ruling 1974 Van Buren vs. Nimrod) because this would seem like a more sensible way to go, given the circumstances.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

On second thoughts...

If I'm not mistaken--and I'm certain I'm not--the Livingstone Ruling only allows you to retract your move if the station used during the move is located within a triangular area consisting of Warren Street, Royal Victoria, and The Lost City Of Atlantis. You're out of bounds, old chap, and will have to live with the consequences of your poor planning.

Following up on Kokkai Gijidō-mae Tameike-Sannō:

望京西

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

On second thoughts...

drat, all that leaves me with is Jamaica Center – Parsons/Archer.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

If I'm not mistaken--and I'm certain I'm not--the Livingstone Ruling only allows you to retract your move if the station used during the move is located within a triangular area consisting of Warren Street, Royal Victoria, and The Lost City Of Atlantis. You're out of bounds, old chap, and will have to live with the consequences of your poor planning.

Following up on Kokkai Gijidō-mae Tameike-Sannō:

望京西

I was certain you wouldn't catch me out, perhaps I will have to use a better moustache next time?

Well in that case I'll pay my 85 Yen and hide in the ladies toilet in 望京西 (platform 4)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I was certain you wouldn't catch me out, perhaps I will have to use a better moustache next time?

Well in that case I'll pay my 85 Yen and hide in the ladies toilet in 望京西 (platform 4)

Well fine, I didn't want to do this to you but: VDNKh

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Well fine, I didn't want to do this to you but: VDNKh

And your ticket is valid also on the Moscow underground network?

The Bronx.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Finchley Central.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Kukash posted:

Finchley Central.

Well, shame on you...

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Well, shame on you...

i thought you took a puff before saying shame on you these rules are so confusing

wait that cig doesn't even look lit what kind of sham is this

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

i thought you took a puff before saying shame on you these rules are so confusing

wait that cig doesn't even look lit what kind of sham is this

I'm on the frickin' e-cigs now, true story, new years resolution and all that so it's the best I can manage.

Anyone care to start us off for another round?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I learned this opening off a drunk Russian in the park.

South Ealing.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Gato posted:

I learned this opening off a drunk Russian in the park.

South Ealing.

loving beautiful opener, I am literally sat here weeping as a result.

:tipshat:

Walthamstow Central

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New round aye? I'm back baby! Walthamstow Central? Nice try, but I know you were hoping the ONE person that wouldn't show up would be me. WALTHAMSTOW WEST! Predictable? Maybe... but it's effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thank you for the tube map that is just small enough to be uncomfortable to read, OP

• Locked thread