Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Personally, I can see that these modern soundtracks have their strengths, such as emphasizing the mood without drawing attention to themselves, but I prefer music with a more memorable character, something you can listen to on its own merits without a film to prop it up.
I believe the same in regards to game OST's (and like a proper nerd, I do in fact have everything from Quest for Glory to MGS to [obviously] Final Fantasy in my playlist).

J.theYellow posted:

Maybe you'll like Alex's updated remix of that track, which incorporates a bunch of other sounds from the game. "Siren" is a handle he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOddfPsN_70

There's also the "Sonic Augmentation" project Alex collaborated on with OCRemix. Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3dr13cSgY
These seem overtly busy and full of stuff just for the sake of being full of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010
I think what I love most about this game is just how much you can find if you look around. There's just so much dialogue, so much writing, and so many hidden little details all over the maps. Even the tutorial has the secret holocaster room, assorted goodies hidden everywhere, and the guards who take your equipment between sections will start chatting with you if you hang around them long enough (The LAM guy has a lot of unique dialogue). And despite playing this game so many times, I always find another cache of supplies or another keycode to a door I never knew how to open legitimately. :allears:

Really glad to have you LPing this, Bobbin. The Alpha Protocol LP was wonderful, and it's great to have someone delving into the stuff that got cut or skimmed over.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

bman in 2288 posted:

Post-modern philosophy, I think. That, and Trenchcoats 402.
You don't even know how ridiculously complex and difficult a 400 level Trenchcoats class is :eng99:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Xander77 posted:

I believe the same in regards to game OST's (and like a proper nerd, I do in fact have everything from Quest for Glory to MGS to [obviously] Final Fantasy in my playlist).

The majority of my playlist is nothing but game music.

Xander77 posted:

These seem overtly busy and full of stuff just for the sake of being full of stuff.

Yeah I wasn't too sold on the DX OC Remix album either, seemed all to jumbled and noisy most of the time.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I keep being amazed by this game; every time I play it I find some new equipment or snippet of dialogue that I've never heard before. Especially if you take the time to keep questioning NPCs after the 'useful' conversation is over etc.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
In light of The Deus Ex Curse:

I think we need a running total of how many people re-install or re-start Deus Ex thanks to this thread.

So far: I'll confess. I reinstalled Deus Ex today. I just finished the warehouse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I confess that I just started up another gimmick run of Deus Ex because of this thread.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I have never played this game, nor watched it being played beyond Bobbin's first video. :v: I enjoyed playing the sequel though. :shobon:

Ah, some kind of poison...!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I have never played this game, nor watched it being played beyond Bobbin's first video. :v: I enjoyed playing the sequel though. :shobon:
I'd say the original is bigger, greater harder faster stronger and more ambitious in every way. IW is basically a smoothed out, scaled down version that brings little of value to the table. Once we get around to (the infamous) Liberty Island, you should get a rather illuminating glimpse of the difference in design, as exemplified by their respective first levels.

Hammer Floyd posted:

In light of The Deus Ex Curse:

I already mentioned replaying through everything Deus Ex just before this thread popped up, but in other news - is that an assault shotgun? I never knew you could get one on Liberty Island.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

I already mentioned replaying through everything Deus Ex just before this thread popped up, but in other news - is that an assault shotgun? I never knew you could get one on Liberty Island.

I don't think you can't get some of those augs on Liberty Island either, so I'd guess that whoever took that screenshot is using console commands.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I wasn't too sold on the DX OC Remix album either, seemed all to jumbled and noisy most of the time.

Unfortunately that's a lot of OCR's albums as of late. That, and a sort of...blandness, that's becoming common with the submitted remixes. But maybe that's just me.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I think we need a running total of how many people re-install or re-start Deus Ex thanks to this thread.

Joke's on you, I never uninstalled it :v:

Junior G-man posted:

I keep being amazed by this game; every time I play it I find some new equipment or snippet of dialogue that I've never heard before. Especially if you take the time to keep questioning NPCs after the 'useful' conversation is over etc.

The amount of hidden dialogue in this game is truly mind-boggling sometimes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Unfortunately that's a lot of OCR's albums as of late. That, and a sort of...blandness, that's becoming common with the submitted remixes. But maybe that's just me.

Nah I've noticed that as well, the lastest album of theirs I really enjoyed was the Gunstar Heroes one, the rest just came off as incredibly samey and bland.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Yeah most of Sonic Augmentation doesn't come close to the originals but this one is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCa6fTSjOtk. Bonus main theme remix near the end.

We will all be playing DX as soon as this LP starts for real, it's inevitable. I'm at what is probably my favourite mission already (VL corporate espionage).

Amebx fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 10, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kirinith posted:

and the guards who take your equipment between sections will start chatting with you if you hang around them long enough (The LAM guy has a lot of unique dialogue).

Could someone point me to a recording or script of this or something? I never knew about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sunshine is a recent-ish movie with a soundtrack so good everybody stole it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

I'd say the original is bigger, greater harder faster stronger and more ambitious in every way. IW is basically a smoothed out, scaled down version that brings little of value to the table. Once we get around to (the infamous) Liberty Island, you should get a rather illuminating glimpse of the difference in design, as exemplified by their respective first levels.

You ordinarily couldn't get what looks like a plasma rifle, a full suite of augs, and the ability to fly in Liberty Island, either.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It's pretty much the same in IW in many ways - just has a lot more loading screens in silly places around the island because it was made for consoles.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

unfair posted:

It's pretty much the same in IW in many ways - just has a lot more loading screens in silly places around the island because it was made for consoles.
"Their respective first levels" were Liberty Island, which lets you loose to play as you will, and Tarsis Academy, which is very much a mandatory tutorial zone. Hence the bit about "exemplifying the relative design philosophies".

(IW's Liberty Island is still far less intricate and interesting than the original, as is the general IW tendency)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 10, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
My favorite part of IW's Liberty Island is that the engine couldn't handle swimming, so they froze all the water.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

"Their respective first levels" were Liberty Island, which lets you loose to play as you will, and Tarsis Academy, which is very much a mandatory tutorial zone. Hence the bit about "exemplifying the relative design philosophies".

As I recall, IW's tutorial segment is actually very similar to HR's, with the whole corporate lab under attack shtick. Plus it's also important to remember that the IW and DX came out during the period where thick, comprehensive manuals were being done away with. When the original came out, you could be reasonably sure that PC gamers would read the book that came in the case. Xbox gamers when IW came out would be getting a much a slimmer booklet and it wasn't a given they'd read it. Tutorials aren't done to frustrate players who've played the game 20 times, they're there because new players need some way of receiving the basic information needed to play the game and to contextualise the mechanics.

Invisible War is NOT a perfect game, but I think it suffers a lot in reputation for trying to be accessible.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gaz-L posted:

As I recall, IW's tutorial segment is actually very similar to HR's, with the whole corporate lab under attack shtick. Plus it's also important to remember that the IW and DX came out during the period where thick, comprehensive manuals were being done away with. When the original came out, you could be reasonably sure that PC gamers would read the book that came in the case. Xbox gamers when IW came out would be getting a much a slimmer booklet and it wasn't a given they'd read it. Tutorials aren't done to frustrate players who've played the game 20 times, they're there because new players need some way of receiving the basic information needed to play the game and to contextualise the mechanics.

Invisible War is NOT a perfect game, but I think it suffers a lot in reputation for trying to be accessible.

Of course you could always just separate the tutorial from the main game instead of making people play through the whole thing every time they want to replay the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeees, hence the "exemplifying their design philosophies". I didn't say I disliked that change specifically (though I do :)), just that it's a good indication of where the game is coming from, just like you said.

Keeshhound posted:

Of course you could always just separate the tutorial from the main game instead of making people play through the whole thing every time they want to replay the game.
But then people might - gasp - not play the tutorial and complain! Good heavens, the consequences would be unfathomable!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Which I think was a really 90's/early 00's thing to do if you look at other games such as Half-Life.
And then you had other games like the first Halo game that had the tutorial built into the first mission but then just skipped it whenever you played at higher difficulties.
Something which games almost should do more.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Slimnoid posted:

The amount of hidden dialogue in this game is truly mind-boggling sometimes.

This one is another. I hadn't seen a couple of those.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

J.theYellow posted:

This one is another. I hadn't seen a couple of those.

:aaa: I didn't even know you could jump like that, I must be some kind of scrub. Real dedication even to check up there, let alone on IS's part to have a reward waiting.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Smoky Bandana posted:

:aaa: I didn't even know you could jump like that, I must be some kind of scrub. Real dedication even to check up there, let alone on IS's part to have a reward waiting.

You might also dig Sunglasses at Night, an anti-walkthrough.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Smoky Bandana posted:

That's not a reward, and you can't quite jump like that. Although level 4 leg augs can get you out of the levelbox in a frighteningly large number of places, I'm 95% sure those jumps down were survived with invulnerability or healing after each fall. Max Chen is up there for technical reasons. (As he shows up on that map later in a cutscene) In any case that's not special dialogue, he'd say the same thing if visited in his club.

The grenade climbing, however, is legit.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 11, 2014

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
An edutainment LP of one of the greatest game of all time? And one that will include philosophy?

I am looking forward to this. :munch:

Can't wait for the chatty bartender in Hong Kong. I don't even remember what politics they talk about, but I remember being impressed both by the intelligence and relative believability of the conversation, and the fact that it was in a frigging video game, and most of all, that all that effort was put into something seemingly optional.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The talk with the surveillance prototype way later in Paris is seriously pretty danged good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Night10194 posted:

The talk with the surveillance prototype way later in Paris is seriously pretty danged good.

Bobbin could easily devote an entire episode of the LP just to the talk with Morpheus.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
This thread lacks hiphop. Deus Ex gonna give it to ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BodNRjVCHjU

Hong Kong version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEJ6fURMUg

Fresh Prince of Deus Ex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQooP5z8qw

And an actually competent rap about Deus Ex. "Suuure."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFVJhJlzfl8

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Magnetic North posted:

Can't wait for the chatty bartender in Hong Kong. I don't even remember what politics they talk about, but I remember being impressed both by the intelligence and relative believability of the conversation, and the fact that it was in a frigging video game, and most of all, that all that effort was put into something seemingly optional.

There will be an episode devoted to a book report on Last and First Man, along with what's essentially its sequel, Star Maker. Star Maker, by the way, has the broadest timescale I have encountered in any work of fiction ever, and that includes such things as Scientology's "trillions of years" of mythology.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 11, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Magnetic North posted:

Sometime after that, JC becomes a borderline obnoxious sociopolisci nerd, at least when he's arguing with AIs about How Things Ought To Be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

J.theYellow posted:

Sometime after that, JC becomes a borderline obnoxious sociopolisci nerd, at least when he's arguing with AIs about How Things Ought To Be.

He's a lot worse in Invisible War.

Of course, Invisible War is worse in so many other ways, it's hard to notice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

It's a really good parallel to a poli-sci majors development - from "I'm not gonna stand here and listen to you badmouth the greatest democracy the world has ever known :cry:" to "blow it all up? Suuuure."

Why do I always find out about celebrity deaths from the forums? :/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Will Smith died?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arglebargle III posted:

Will Smith died?

James Avery

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Star Maker, by the way, has the broadest timescale I have encountered in any work of fiction ever, and that includes such things as Scientology's "trillions of years" of mythology.

I think this is my favourite summing up of Olaf Stapledon's abilities at this:

quote:

The more recent 'Xeelee' stories of Britain's very own Stephen Baxter are in several ways reminiscent of Niven, and are thickly studded with enigmatic alien artifacts. I always enjoy a good old enigmatic alien artifact myself, but Baxter has determinedly Thought Big about it all. As a result he's saddled himself with such a vast, sprawling, cosmological overplot (something to do with retrospectively landscaping the entire universe) that a godlike and disembodied point of view is required to explain all its complexities to the increasingly bemused reader -- which duly happens in 'The Baryonic Lords' (in Interzone, 1991). Only Olaf Stapledon ever succeeded on this kind of scale, and Olaf Stapledon is dead.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

J.theYellow posted:

Hey, as a philosophy nerd, I find that offensive. You shouldn't offend people... let me tell you How Things Ought To Be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I found these crawling through a bunch of Deus Ex videos. The first one might be slightly spoilers but the second one is pre-game stuff and should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJo3jdtcjWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswN_iDkx8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWvGRTdACNo

They're not terriffic graphics-wise, but pretty great idea-wise, I think. Kind of like the game.

• Locked thread