Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

https://robocraftgame.com

Robocraft is a game in Alpha about constructing physics-based, destructible vehicles, also known as Robos, which you can use in battle against other players.

Steamgroup:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/robo-goons

Robos are made of Cubes, which consist of:

Cubes, Cones, Prisms, and Helium Tanks: These come in 10 levels of armor, not including the default light, heavy, helium and windshield Cubes.
  • Windshield Cubes are the same as light-chassis Cubes, but they cost slightly more CPU. They're mostly just for aesthetics.

• Heavy Cubes are the same as light blocks, but they weigh as much as 3 blocks. They do NOT provide any more armor than light Cubes. Generally used for keeping your Robo balanced.

• Helium Cubes are usually used on aircraft for the purpose of making the craft lightweight and balanced. With enough helium Cubes, you can literally float up into the air.

Weapons: There are several kinds of weapons split into 10 levels for each type, with S-Class weapons occupying the even-numbered levels which are superior versions of each level of weapon, having more damage and a higher CPU/Ranking cost. A Robo can only have one kind of weapon. No mixing SMGs and plasma launchers. Weapons can be zoomed-in using the right mouse button.
  • Laser SMGs come in two variants: Front, and Top.

• Front-mount SMGs are generally mounted on the front of your Robo, and can only fire in a limited angle.

• Top-mount SMGs on the other hand, can be placed just about anywhere, and can fire omnidirectionally.
    ---
  • Plasma Launchers are AOE weapons that launch globs of plasma that explode in a radius. They fire slower than lasers, but do more damage per shot to compensate, and the damage spreads throughout the hit Robo. Launchers costs slightly more Ranking than lasers.
    ---
  • Rail Cannons are sniper-class weapons that take several seconds to charge. Once fully charged, they fire with perfect accuracy. Rail Cannons have a much longer scope range than SMGs and plasma launchers.
    ---
  • Nanotech-Disruptors are a recent introduction that allow you to repair your teammates, as well as lock onto enemies to drain their health. Holding right-click will lock the disruptors onto the closest target, whether that be friend or enemy.
---------

Electroplates: Electroplates are a little complicated. They function basically as shields; Electroplates have different shapes for different tiers, which currently consist of tiers 3-10, and every tier has a left-facing and right-facing variant.

Electroplates have two stages of health: The first is the shield stage, which absorbs damage. When shield health runs out, the electroplate will take damage like ordinary blocks. If the shield receives no damage for 15 seconds, the shield health will regenerate.
More details here: http://robocraft.wikia.com/wiki/Electroplating

Despite what the wiki claims, electroplates seem to be most effective against SMGs.

Wheels: There are two types of Wheel blocks; Regular wheels, and Steering.
  • Regular wheels are used to move your Robo, but you CANNOT steer with regular wheels alone.

• Steering wheels are used to, of course, steer your Robo, but cost slightly more CPU/Ranking. They CAN be used to move your Robo alongside steering.

• Headlamps, which are used primarily as headlights.

• Enemy Radar, which comes in three levels. The first level has a range of 50m, the second 75m, and the third 100m.
    The radar will mark detected enemies on your mini-map. Very useful for flanking, but remember, the enemy probably has a radar too.

• Radar Jammers, Which come in 5 levels. These disrupt the enemy's ability to detect your Robo with their radar, causing you to intermittently disappear from their mini-map. The effect becomes stronger at higher levels, causing you to appear less often.

• Radar Recievers, which allow you to mark enemies that your ally Robos' radar detects.

• Alignment Rectifiers, which can be used to flip your Robo over in case it flips upside-down.

• Pilot Seat: Your Robo HAS to have a pilot seat, you can't send your Robo into battle without one. You can only have one pilot seat per Robo.

A video describing each Block and what it does: (currently outdated, but gets the general idea across)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hc_URCyDoA

Matchmaking, Robo Tiers, and Robot Ranking:
Robos are sorted into tiers for matchmaking based on their total Robot Ranking. There are 10 tiers total.
Higher tier Robos are generally matched with equivalent tier Robos.

Every Block has a Robot Ranking and CPU cost associated with it; Chassis blocks, being the primary construction material of your Robo, have a very low Robot Ranking depending on their armor level, with higher level armor contributing a much higher Robot Ranking.

Hardware, Movement, and Special Blocks contribute to a significant amount of a Robo's total Robot Ranking and CPU. Having lots of Blocks on your Robo, especially lots of the higher level stuff, will result in a much higher Robot Ranking, which in turn places you in a higher Robo Tier.

Starting out, players are limited to around 400 maximum CPU. This number increases as players gain Player Levels, which are earned as you play. As mentioned before, all Blocks contribute a certain amount of CPU pFlops, with chassis blocks contributing only 1 pFlop. The more Blocks you have, the more CPU you will require.

Robos:
Robos are bound by physics. They can be damaged as combat ensues, causing them to grind along the ground as their wheels and chassis are blown away, aircraft/hovercraft can spiral wildly or fall out of the sky as they become unbalanced from their thrusters/hover-blades being destroyed, etc.

You start with three Bays, or Motherships. Your Bays can be accessed from the Garage screen, where you can rename your Robos. The Garage screen also shows the tier of your Robos and how many Blocks your Robo consists of.

Each Bay comes with a starter vehicle that you can either use to practice/fight with, or erase entirely to begin your own, better design.

(Robos in the bays are NOT templates. Blocks are not shared between designs. If you only have two guns, and you put one of those guns on one of your Robos, you cannot use it on any other vehicle. You'll have to buy more guns, or take that gun off of the other Robo. I'd prefer a template system, but what can you do.)

Currency:
Robocraft has two primary currencies: Robo-Points(RP), and Tech-Points(TP). Both are earned after battles. Robo-Points are used to purchase more Blocks, and Tech-Points are used to unlock more types/higher levels of Blocks, which can then be purchased with Robo-Points.

As you rise in tier, the RP and TP payout increases. By tier 5, you could be earning up to 1000-2000 RP each battle if you're doing particularly well.

As of a (not so) recent update, Tech Points have been split into tiers. You can only earn TP appropriate to your tier. This means that if you fight in, say, tier 3, you'll only get tier 3 TP, and can only unlock parts from that tier.

TP can be spent in the Tech Tree(T), where you can unlock higher level Blocks.
RP can be spent in the Cash Depot(C), where you buy Blocks for your Robo after you've unlocked them. Spend it wisely, as higher level Blocks get increasingly expensive.
After purchasing your new Blocks, you can use them from your Inventory(Q).

There IS a cash currency called GC that can be purchased to buy Blocks at a lower price, as well as a premium membership that lets you earn 100% more RP/TP after a battle, but it's not that bad, really. You can only unlock gear with TP, not GC, so you still have to play as much as everyone else to unlock Blocks. As a plus, for every premium user in a match, everyone in that battle earns 5% more RP. So if there's, say, 5 premium users, everyone will earn 25% more RP.

As mentioned before, the game IS in Alpha, so it's not feature-complete. But what is there right now is more than enough to have a lot of fun with it, and currently there are tons of people playing in nearly every tier.

The game is also decently optimized. My laptop can run it pretty decently on Normal or Fast graphics settings. (Last few patches have reduced performance somewhat, but it's still playable.)

Here are a series of new player guides by Spilledchemicals, which go much more in-depth. You can listen to his Robo construction suggestions if you want, but I'd suggest making your Robos in whatever way is more fun for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVrp6rZRLNQ

Controls:

Screenshots:

More tipz:

Cake Bandit posted:

1: Balancing a floater: PUT YOUR WEIGHT UNDER YOUR LIFT. IT'S NOT HARD. It's like balancing a broom in your hand. It's a lot easier if you put the heavy side down.

For the next person you hear say "Why does my hovercraft keep flipping?"

Thor-Stryker posted:

A few tips on wheels,
-Attach two wheels to the block your pilot seat is on so you can zoom haphazardly around after the rest of your tank gets blown up. (Or use a thruster) Edit: F, b.

-it's better to make the front wheel base wider for stability on big tanks, even if they get shot off, you can still push the tank around with the rear dual-power tires. Just make sure you don't have pointed edges on the front end.

-if you have extra space in your current tier, add some thrusters pointing down on one side so you can flip back over if you roll.

I Greyhound posted:

Everybody get up, it's time to slam now
We got a real jam goin' down
Welcome to the Space Jam
Here's your chance, do your dance at the Space Jam, alright

Gunktacular posted:

Also, here is a Google sheets page for posting your username if you want to link up with other goons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tspfEGfZSqHkT71B7DL1obWkUwi-xblA6tmgAsOEXEs/edit?usp=sharing

Its set to anyone can edit, so go crazy. No google sign-in required.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy crud this sounds amazing. One can only hope that people dont make too many giant dong-bots.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Downloading now. Is it possible to set up battles between specific people?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

This sounds like a multiplayer combat-based PC take on Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. Would that be a fair description?

Either way, colour me interested.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Icedude posted:

This sounds like a multiplayer combat-based PC take on Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. Would that be a fair description?

Based on what I've seen, yes, just so. Although it's pretty early in development so I'm not sure how much part variety there is so far.

I was watching some crazy Polish stream of this earlier today and it looks awesome. Completely hilarious when his over-elaborate machines get blasted to like 10% of their original size and he's still trying to hap-hazardly fly around and shoot stuff with them. Can't wait to try it out.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Icedude posted:

I've heard the comparison made before a few times.

Music Theory posted:

Downloading now. Is it possible to set up battles between specific people?

Not right now, unfortunately. The way matchmaking works now is, battles occur every 3 minutes, and everyone who's ready to fight gets sorted into matches for their appropriate tier. I believe the maximum amount of players in a match is 16.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The starting rover thing is pretty good, but after a few rounds of it I decided to start trying to build a helicopter kind of thing. Right now it's pretty much just a cylinder with guns and rotors attached, but hopefully it will become the scourge of the skies one day.

However, right now, it's really hilarious when someone shoots the wings off and I have to stay afloat with the single thruster on top.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

This looks pretty awesome, but the download servers are hella bogged down.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
You can try using this instead.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/robocraft/downloads/robocraft-build-drive-fight-alpha

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yeah. That gets you the patcher which then connects to the Robocraft servers for the rest of the game. That part is bogged down.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Can somebody please put up a mirror of the game files? The downloader keeps dying on me.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 7, 2014

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Nuts and Bolts was an awesome concept, so I'm definitely giving this a shot. Is this related at all to that in-development game which was basically the same thing but only with cars? I think a goon was making that one too.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

hosed around a bit making a bunch of really dumb stupid poo poo and it's pretty fun

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This game is pretty great. It still needs a lot more content and polish, but I can see this thing going places.

After a few hours I'm pretty happy with my tier 1 robot, the Rad-Scorpitron.

Might upgrade the components a bit, but the overall form feels right. I've gotten very adept at dragging this thing to the enemy base with a single engine and prop intact.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Is there a way to mass-delete? Loving the game so far but it's annoying to manually scrap a design to get the parts back.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

This game is pretty great. I managed to build some kind of bizarre near-neutrally buoyant hovercraft that can climb up perfectly vertical walls and then glide down over the opposition. Now I just need to armour it, since the amount of dense cube ballast I used has a shitload of armour blocks as its equivalent!

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

BlueDestiny posted:

Is there a way to mass-delete? Loving the game so far but it's annoying to manually scrap a design to get the parts back.

Bit of a roundabout way of going about it, but I have an autoclicker set up for my right mouse button. I just set it up to clicker every millisecond, and it completely tears apart my robo.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Yeah the lack of a button to delete everything is pretty dumb and the blocks not being shared between garages is pretty annoying too, still a fun game though.

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
The designs people come up with in this game are incredible, can't wait for them to release more content.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've enjoyed what I've played so far, but I really can't wait for more variety of weapons and other parts. Balancing fliers is hard, too.

Also, is anyone else unable to join games today? I was joining games fine last night, but today I just get network errors every time I get into a match, and a 50/50 chance of being disconnected from the servers entirely when I'm forced back to the garage.

EDIT: Huh, it seems its only when I use my near-CPU-limit robot. When I use a smaller bot I can play just fine. Weird
EDIT 2: Well that didn't last long. That stopped working too.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 7, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
This is pretty good for a cash shop game, and a block game, but from playin a bit you can tell it'll take about 200 hours to unlock all the good parts much less buy and place them on your robot. On the other hand this applies to everybody so I just uparmored Robo1, added more guns on the roof, and blast a lot of scrubs that way.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Icedude posted:

I've enjoyed what I've played so far, but I really can't wait for more variety of weapons and other parts. Balancing fliers is hard, too.

Also, is anyone else unable to join games today? I was joining games fine last night, but today I just get network errors every time I get into a match, and a 50/50 chance of being disconnected from the servers entirely when I'm forced back to the garage.

Same here.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They can only handle a few thousand players at once right now and it just recently started to snowball in size.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

gently caress the ROW posted:

This is pretty good for a cash shop game, and a block game, but from playin a bit you can tell it'll take about 200 hours to unlock all the good parts much less buy and place them on your robot. On the other hand this applies to everybody so I just uparmored Robo1, added more guns on the roof, and blast a lot of scrubs that way.

Considering the upgraded parts function exactly the same as lower tier ones just with bigger numbers I don't see this as a huge issue. It's not like high-tier gameplay is any different aside from people making better designs maybe.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I really wish rolling around in a tiny bicycle-esque jalopy was a viable strategy. :smith: Guess I'll be saving up for Helium blocks to make a tiny mosquito craft covered in forward-mount lasers for when I don't feel like playing a tank simulator.

Seriously though, this game rocks. With some careful gun placement and distribution of armor blocks along the drive-train and under weapon mounts, my tank remains fight until I'm down to roughly 10 blocks on average. Holdout weapons and armored wheelhouses are the best. :getin:

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 8, 2014

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Apparently, according to the devblog, plasma cannons and rail guns will be a thing at some point. The cannons will fire in an arc, and the rail guns will allow you to zoom in and will have a much higher range than other things. Both will shoot slower than regular lasers.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I really wish rolling around in a tiny bicycle-esque jalopy was a viable strategy. :smith: Guess I'll be saving up for Helium blocks to make a tiny mosquito craft covered in forward-mount lasers for when I don't feel like playing a tank simulator.

Seriously though, this game rocks. With some careful gun placement and distribution of armor blocks along the drive-train and under weapon mounts, my tank remains fight until I'm down to roughly 10 blocks on average. Holdout weapons and armored wheelhouses are the best. :getin:

Your T1 creations will be slow as poo poo when you're using stock parts. Make a beeline for some tech 2 wheels and drives for a much more zoomy experience. Also, don't underestimate the value of a low centre of gravity in your wheeled vehicles!

I wish that the game let you put parts in more unconventional locations and do stuff like switching on and off parts. That and a visual aid for the centre of gravity, thrust, and a total mass gauge would be the bees knees.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This game kicks rear end but the match timer is annoying and the amount of times I get kicked out before a match is aggravating.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I'm going to get in on this tonight. Looks like a blast!

ostrich160
Jan 8, 2014
This looks pretty fantastic, I had a similar idea a while back for a top gear game but it looks like you've got this covered, I'll probably get this tonight

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's pretty fun! Still very much a work in progress and has some wonky rear end issues, but it's fun.

The would-be grief crowd has found a way to gently caress with tier one matches by making a four block hoverflier with a top tier gun on it, which flops around on the floor until it gets to your base and one shots you when you come near. Which has added annoyance because of the weird range everything has.

Past that, though, the game could use some improvements. The way money is dealed out specifically; kills give you jack all, most of your money is by living to the end of a victory. Being that it's easy for you to lose all your efforts on someone by someone else getting a kill shot, the real way to make money is apparently being a coward and running around to cap after the fighting starts up. Needs to have some sort of damage done system, with a killshot getting the most by way of destroying all that's left.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Looks a bit like the cult classic Robot Arena 2 but with better physics and guns. Nice to see the custom robot fighting game genre isn't dead.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Downloading now, this looks like it could be tons of fun. I love building stupid stuff and than murdering (in) it.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Needs to have some sort of damage done system, with a killshot getting the most by way of destroying all that's left.

I think it does, but it doesn't give enough and it doesn't give any for killing someone and thereby destroying every block they had left.

Robocraft Blog posted:

Friends & Platoons

We have additional programmers helping us at the moment. One of them is working on the Friend \ Platoons system. We get several requests for these features every day. The Friends system will allow you to invite friends who will need to accept the invite in order for you to form a friend relationship. Once you have done that you will be able to see when they are online, or in battle, etc. You will also be able to form platoons with your friends and the match-making will ensure you enter the same battle on the same team.

Oh hey, looks like we're gonna get our wish. Also, they're apparently working on an ice planet and they're going to make weapons and higher-tier armor more powerful.

http://robocraftgame.com/robocraft-news/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=robocraft-news

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 9, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Seems like Tier 1 is filled with creative folks putting extremely high level guns attached to one block and a seat. Apparently the recoil from firing the higher end laser can propel the chair around the map.

Also helium + thusters = battle blimp.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Blimps are a massive pain in the rear end to balance. Got any tips for making something that's more or less neutrally buoyant?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
You get much higher rewards at higher tiers, so rushing to T3 by using all the starting materials can get you a jump start. Don't keep doing this though as it is unfun.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Currently I've been having an absolute blast just making a rectangle, throwing thrusters on it, an drifting around at high speeds.

Anticheese posted:

Blimps are a massive pain in the rear end to balance. Got any tips for making something that's more or less neutrally buoyant?

I usually use a nice flat layer of helium blocks at the top of the robot. Each helium offsets 7.5KG so use that as a guide when building and try to distribute 5KG standard blocks evenly. Generally thrusters for forward motion are placed lower rather than higher. You'll also need 2 thrusters for turning left and right, and I like to have a pair of thrusters aimed downward (use the shift key to activate these) near the front of the craft in case my blimp tries to fly away.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Hiel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Did you just take a picture of your monitor?

• Locked thread