Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
:frogout: What did I just tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's only got hover things because wheels are lovely. :colbert:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Tier 1 Sniper flying-hoverthings can gently caress right off. Using a gently caress-off sniper laser should jump you right into Tier 2.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Orv posted:

It's only got hover things because wheels are lovely. :colbert:

make the center of the lowest level out of black blocks, they are the same as the white, but are heavier so you end up flipping a bit less. Also moving the hover 'wheels' one notch above the black center would further stabilize the plane, but that would need a armor layout redesign. Cause the things in the nice tutorial picture are still true, even if you use them only as wheel stand-ins

Orv
May 4, 2011

Feindfeuer posted:

make the center of the lowest level out of black blocks, they are the same as the white, but are heavier so you end up flipping a bit less. Also moving the hover 'wheels' one notch above the black center would further stabilize the plane, but that would need a armor layout redesign. Cause the things in the nice tutorial picture are still true, even if you use them only as wheel stand-ins

Oh yeah I know. I was seeing how much I could get away with with dumb fan setups. The answer is not a lot, but it did inspire me to make this monstrosity to keep messing around in T1 while I redesign the Su-5 for T2.

It's basically a flying carnival game that shoots back. One good hit and I'm out, but I can ruin anyone not paying attention.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A taste of Tier 10:

That's 24 Level 5 S-Type guns fully covered in Level 5 armor. This guy's bot is pretty much unstoppable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That really just kind of makes me want a space expansion so we can play Battlefleet Gothic with Minecraft.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always considered myself a creative type. Nope.

I've been using this bad boy for a while. It's surprisingly effective, just not pretty.

Actually, I highly recommend playing with the flying cube. It's easy to make, and its a hardy motherfucker. I've gotten several kills while I'm shot down like this.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 12, 2014

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The most fun I've gotten out of the game is flying a hoverchair with some ridiculous gun strapped to it. It's a thing of beauty to one shot snipe badly designed vehicles.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are a ton of Polish people playing this, apparently. In the range of 98% of the people I've played with/against this morning. :v:

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
I've been rolling with this bad boy for a few rounds and it's currently undefeated somehow!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

If you guys want to talk ROBOCRAFT outside the thread I just made #robocraft on synIRC.

This game is ridiculously fun despite being still in development; I couldn't stop playing last night.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Squido posted:

I've been rolling with this bad boy for a few rounds and it's currently undefeated somehow!

One of my mates made an actual chair.
For the most part it worked ok, most people would target the guns and wheels on the extremes instead of targeting center-mass so it broke apart and died.

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013

Squido posted:

I just saw that 2 games ago and was discussing with a friend how on earth that thing could possibly work! I'm no Robo Engineer, but aren't you pretty much screwed if you lose a single block?

Squido
May 21, 2005

Dumlefudge posted:

I just saw that 2 games ago and was discussing with a friend how on earth that thing could possibly work! I'm no Robo Engineer, but aren't you pretty much screwed if you lose a single block?

Yeah but its quite hard to aim for it seems, plus normally the main column stays intact so I can continue firing! And as a last resort there's the ejector seat!

I think I just seem like not a real threat and a bit annoying to shoot at so people go for other targets first.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dumlefudge posted:

Use Helium as the base for the Pilot seat and put some hover-things on the side. They'll wizz off into the sky if you don't shoot out the pilot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Squido posted:

This is your fault, so we're clear.

I call it The Car Wash.

E: Maybe too much helium.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2014

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I feel so stupid with my little Jagdrobot now that everyone is doing the skinny builds. I'll never be one of the cool robot kids. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Car Wash wasn't working out because of the whole L5 lasers in T1 thing, which is honestly pretty stupid. So I made The Maw instead.

Also I seem to reliably be on the team without L5 lasers, which is a tad frustrating.

Squido
May 21, 2005
This guy wasn't very stable on his feet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feindfeuer posted:

I feel so stupid with my little Jagdrobot now that everyone is doing the skinny builds. I'll never be one of the cool robot kids. :smith:

Don't worry about it dude, I've been doing pretty well with my tank that's just a wall of heavy blocks with a gun turret on top. Having something tough enough to limp away from a fight is great.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone been rolling with air/land robots? I've seen a couple of people with jet tanks that can fly and drive, it cracks me up everytime.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I often end up dropping the Rad-Scorpitron to the ground and power sledding around like a swamp boat if I think I'm gonna become too unstable to fly and fight at the same time. It makes such a horrible grinding noise when you do that on the cap points.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

I copied Cake Bandit's layout earlier, and it's pretty great.

Also, there's a guy in tier 1 with a 2 block, pilot seat, huge thruster, and like tier 4 laser running around in tier 1. He just zooms right to your base, and if he manages to score a hit on you it's half of your craft taken out.

This game is hilarious.

edit: here's an easy link to the irc, for the lazy.

http://mibbit.com/#robocraft@irc.synirc.net

Kevlar Beard fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 12, 2014

Squido
May 21, 2005

mirarant posted:

It's a thing of beauty to one shot snipe badly designed vehicles.

You son of a bitch!

You do know shooting ejected pilots is against the Geneva convention

Squido fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 12, 2014

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

So I've decided to post some screens of the tier 2 speedster I've made, if I manage to flank the enemy team with it I can usually come out of fights unscathed/missing one of the front corners but still operable. I've been getting 4 kills per match pretty often with this thing.

E: Not exactly "Slim" though, I should probably rename it.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Streamin' dis dum game, watch me blow up mans.

http://twitch.tv/kevlarbeard

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014

Kevlar Beard posted:

I copied Cake Bandit's layout earlier, and it's pretty great.

Also, there's a guy in tier 1 with a 2 block, pilot seat, huge thruster, and like tier 4 laser running around in tier 1. He just zooms right to your base, and if he manages to score a hit on you it's half of your craft taken out.

This game is hilarious.

edit: here's an easy link to the irc, for the lazy.

http://mibbit.com/#robocraft@irc.synirc.net

I've since reduced that layout to having only two L4 lifters in a line. It's pretty wibbly-wobbly side-to-side, but it still doesn't roll over because most of my armor is on the bottom half.

A note about this.

I'm seeing a lot of you make hover builds, but there's only one layer of cubes on the bottom, like the cube ship. If you put just one more layer, or move everything down one, you're going to have a bit more survivability, because the goal is to disconnect the pilot chair from anything that serves to move or shoot.

Floating above people gives them a pretty good shot at that weak point, so layer that poo poo up. Will post updated pictures of my floating green lasertwinkie in a bit.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Cake Bandit posted:

I'm seeing a lot of you make hover builds, but there's only one layer of cubes on the bottom, like the cube ship. If you put just one more layer, or move everything down one, you're going to have a bit more survivability, because the goal is to disconnect the pilot chair from anything that serves to move or shoot.

I dunno, my flier build uses a single layer of armor blocks at its thinnest, but I make up for it by being able to climb like a rocket thanks to the 8 tier one thrusters and its weight being just high enough for it to fall naturally. When a pubbie notices me I just take off and come back when they're distracted.

E: When faced with a gun-covered brick, target any exposed wheels, the parts they're attached to usually aren't armored and are liable to cause catastrophic damage.

The Droid fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 12, 2014

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Squido posted:

You son of a bitch!

You do know shooting ejected pilots is against the Geneva convention

In your honor I have to say that shooting you down in your emergency seat was extremely frustrating.

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
That's beautiful.

Most of what I use my hoverstuff for is rock climbing. I'll climb up the cliff walls or the plateaus of the maps and wait for my teammates to engage, then I Leeroy Jenkins into the back arc of the enemy team for ludicrous damage.

On another note, what do you guys think of the internal vs. external armor debate? I've been having great luck armoring up from the inside out. It seems like whenever I try to put armor on just the outside I end up losing the white blocks they're attached to and might as well not have brought them at all.

Though that might just be a side effect of my ludicrous zeppelineering. :jeb:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hahaha. "Congratulations you've leveled up!" is all over my screen and I just get torn apart by a guy I can't see. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hovers are awful and I dont see why anyone ever uses them. I prefer using a ton of thrusters to fly super high, annoy people by flying ever so slightly above them and then drop on them.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Cake Bandit posted:

On another note, what do you guys think of the internal vs. external armor debate? I've been having great luck armoring up from the inside out. It seems like whenever I try to put armor on just the outside I end up losing the white blocks they're attached to and might as well not have brought them at all.

I'm in favor of internal, because otherwise if someone opens a hole in you they can just make the rest of your armor fall off. External white blocks can act as a buffer.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

On armor,

i started with armor on the outside, but like mentioned i started getting sniped from positions a bit lower/higher and ended up losing the connections holding the actual armor. So now I start at the center and go outwards from there. Though I still use overhanging outer armor to get at least some protection on wheels without having to expand the chassis around them.

Parts that are less exposed to enemy fire, like the rear, are only covered by ablative basic blocks to give them some protection from stray shots and to maximize my frontal armor within the point limit i set myself. The 'construction' on the top serve as shot traps that catch lasers coming from the oposing side to cut off the armor on the other side while also having the benefit of increasing protection from top attacks.

The lights are there to give my frog-tank some makeshift eyes so he can see all his tank friends. :unsmith:

works rather well for me, unless someone snipes off my single gun I tend to survive the whole match accumulating quiet some kills. The little frog hetzer takes quiet some punishment before going down.

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
Behold the Floating Green Laser Sky Twinkie! Notice the helium tanks are set up to balance, as well as provide lift. You'll also notice that those particular UPGO BLOCKS are on the TOP.

I've updated its hover-dealies from the 6 part arrangement that involved an i-beam of L1 lifters and two L2 lifters overtop to this setup with a couple of L4 lifters. It's arguably a little more fragile, but my topseed is way up, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

It's afforded me a much slimmer profile, albeit I don't have the redundancy I had before. It makes getting close enough to broadside effectively a might bit easier.

You'll also note that MY UPGOERS ARE ABOVE THE BOTTOM HALF OF MY VEHICLE.

It's a little wibbly-wobbly at present, but you can pretty clearly see that MOST OF MY DOWNGO IS ON THE BOTTOM. It'll get less-so when I start gearing up with the next level of armor down there. Gotta' get heavy, yo.

My escape pod has also been updated to keep with the times. When it doesn't get shot off, that cannon on the bottom provides admirable recoil assistance for steering. When it does get shot off?

:jeb: :jeb: :jeb:

The upgraded armor is going to leak inward to outward along the path of most important connections along the bottom. So strengthening the structure, then affording ballast/defense to the most commonly blasted areas. I'm also starting to use wedge/delta pieces to try to shave as much weight as possible. It's making me much faster/more nimble while reducing my silhouette, so it's a pretty good deal so far.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I'm totally going to put some frog-eyes on this thing, too.

Wobbly Python fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 12, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Frijolero posted:

Anyone been rolling with air/land robots? I've seen a couple of people with jet tanks that can fly and drive, it cracks me up everytime.

I tossed some UPGO and a pair of hover fans on a basic tank design, and the net effect is that most of the time it drove about like normal, but the helium and hover fans gave it enough lift that it could climb any surface and glide down at its leisure.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Yeah, the t3 front lasers in t1 is pretty uhhhh.

Special.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game in T1 has kind of become how to outsmart the assholes with L5s until I get my own at this point. It doesn't always go swimmingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Orv posted:

The game in T1 has kind of become how to outsmart the assholes with L5s until I get my own at this point. It doesn't always go swimmingly.

Honestly I would try to rush to higher tiers asap, even if outgunned. Tier 2 and 3 payout significantly more just for surviving a match even if you lose. Also rush to L5 cannons they really are the bee's knees.

• Locked thread