Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Thor-Stryker posted:

So who's clever idea was it to allow a team of 5 T3s go up against 8 T1s? that poo poo isn't balanced at all.

I've had two matches like this where the T3 team literally just melts our team as they rush to our base and capture it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is hilariously broken.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Got into this yesterday, doing a pure booster jet with a podracer style design. So far I just fly in and cap, hardly kill anyone.

How does top speed work? Will adding more boosters keep add more speed or is there a sweet spot? Does mixing levels of boosters gimp you?

The mechanics and physics seem pretty solid for an alpha! Is there a screenshot button, printscreen doesn't seem to work in this for me (takes a picture of my desktop).

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

kalstrams posted:

It's less hilarious and more broken when the gunchair goes under the cap point and makes it impossible to cap the point or even attack him. And then everyone has to wait 5 minutes or give up because the guy apparently has nothing better to do but sit around wasting everyone's time in a free-to-play video game

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Easiest way to fix it is adding fall+momentum damage if they ever do.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Easiest way to fix it is adding fall+momentum damage if they ever do.
I don't see why it's not like when in combat. If you have no propulsion linked up to your chair, you die.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Croccers posted:

I don't see why it's not like when in combat. If you have no propulsion linked up to your chair, you die.

It's technically any 'functional' item. So I guess you could survive with a radar attached to your seat-cube as well?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What're you guys using to take screenshots? Fraps or something like it? Plain old Print Screen just gets a picture of my desktop with a small black rectangle in the top left corner.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minorkos posted:

It's less hilarious and more broken when the gunchair goes under the cap point and makes it impossible to cap the point or even attack him. And then everyone has to wait 5 minutes or give up because the guy apparently has nothing better to do but sit around wasting everyone's time in a free-to-play video game

How do you do this, it's important.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mark posted the following in another thread about upcoming changes Friday morning:

38955 posted:

So we’ve been working hard on rebalancing things and we will release a whole bunch of balance changes with this weeks release – probably Friday morning UK time.

These are the headlines:

- You will earn a lot more RP for Damage, Kills and Base Caps
- And less RP for Victory and Bravery (i.e. defeat)
- Robot Ranking for high levels weapons has been increased
- Robot Ranking for high level armor has been significantly increased
- You will not be able to get into a T1 match with a single L5 weapon
- Tier boundaries will be altered to compensate for these RR increases
- Getting to T10 will be harder, there will be less T10′s in the game
- You will only be able to achieve T10 with high powered gear, so you will need L5 stuff to get to T10 (and lots of it)
- You will probably need to be quite a high level player to have enough CPU to build a T10

NB: These changes will mean that placing a load of low powered Lasers on the floor of your Mothership to ‘Tier Up’ will only raise you a small amount and won’t earn you stacks of RP

NB: These changes will make Helium Chairs and Macro Bots earn a lot less RP, and players who actively get in the fight earn a lot more RP

These changes are also designed to even up the matches along side the new – and fixed – MM.
Just to summarize what this does to the game:
- Due to the fact that actually getting into combat will now be rewarded, repair bills will stunt progression to higher tiers and general player wealth.
- Players will be forced to grind more levels to get enough CPU to get anywhere near tier 10.
- Players will have to build extremely large, bulky ships with lots of unnecessary parts that are very expensive to get into tier 10.
- Combat at tier 10 will consist of whittling down a single opponent's gigantic ball of armor and guns for 3 minutes.
- Players who are in tier 10 will continue to use high end components to make twinks for lower tier matches and ruin lower tiers for anyone who doesn't have the disposable income generated by Tier 10 or the disposable CPU generated by poopsocking.

Other changes:

- Helium is getting a CPU nerf, encouraging more blimps and jets.
- Tier 5 guns are banned from tier 1.
- Gear not attached to your ship will not count toward tier rating.

quote:

You’ll also get boss battle match-making where if you’re high Tier you might find yourself in a 1 vs. 15 T1 match, which will earn you a LOT of RP, if you can get your kill chain high.

I sometimes wonder if these guys make a dart board of random game balance decisions and just start throwing.

One player's reaction to the changes:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 17, 2014

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014

Arrath posted:

What're you guys using to take screenshots? Fraps or something like it? Plain old Print Screen just gets a picture of my desktop with a small black rectangle in the top left corner.

I'm loading it through Steam and taking advantage of the overlay for it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

REALLY satisfied with how this thing turned out, all thats left really is to upgrade the wheels and thrusters (when I have the CPU and patience to do so), and maybe add some guns to the sides, barring that and some extra cosmetic blocks it's pretty much baked. Completely impressed by how well it's performing

Any idea as to what to name it?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 17, 2014

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Its good that heliums getting a cpu reduction everytime I play around with blimp making im surprised at how high it gets. Well I almost got my big project robot done it will prolly end up as tier 5-6 its taking forever getting all the armour blocks for it. I'm guessing the high tier game is overrated and most of the fun occurs in lower tiers before it turns into a massive gunbed contest.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So patch changes are out, here's what actually happened in a nutshell:

- Extreme increase in the amount of rating it takes to reach higher tiers. Each tier takes progressively more rating to go through.
--- For instance I have 10 Tier 5 S-Type Top Guns, 28 Tier 3 S-Type Top Guns, and I'm only Tier 8 now.
- Extreme increase in the amount of rating high level weapons count for in lower tiers.
- Slight increase in the amount of rating high level movement items count for in lower tiers.
- Lower level armor ratings have stayed the same
- Higher level armors have increased in rating significantly
- Being a coward all fight now yields poo poo for rewards.
- Helium now uses 8 CPU (big freakin' woop)

In a nutshell today's changes were made to heavily increase the grind required for higher tiers and high level items, eliminate twinks/gimmicks in low tier matches, and widen the advantage of higher level players with more CPU using bloated gunbeds. Stay in lower tiers if you want to have fun.

These changes also support cash shop transactions by making players more likely to just buy higher tier items instead of grinding RP for them. Especially due to the entrenched old guard of tier 10 players who have built insane robots using pre-patch systems. These old guard make earning RP for an entry level high tier player (T7-9) nigh-impossible as combat is the only way to earn reliable RP. Said combat will mean the entry level high tier players are paying high repair bills against the tier 10 players they are matched against.

Considering the vast majority of RP is now tied to combat, more tanky robots with lots of guns will be the obvious choice for grinders. All in all the Gunbed has become even better with this patch.

Here's what you get for a tier 8 win with little combat:

Repair times and costs increase heavily based on how many bricks and items are used on your bot. It's very possible that by trying to earn more RP by making a more survivable bot with more guns on it, you're completely negating anything you would earn via more combat due to the repair costs. (I earned about 300RP for actively engaging in combat and dying in a tier 8 match, my repair bill was 900 RP)

Despite a lot of the good common sense changes like helium's reduced cost and making high level items unviable for low tiers, this patch does some major damage to the game in terms of the grind and makes high tier gameplay worse. Movement items aren't penalized for much and neither are low-tier armors so I would say the fun in terms of bot design and gameplay is solidly in the low to mid tiers. Especially since the gimmick bots have been largely eliminated.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 17, 2014

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Did they said anything about character wipes?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Since high end armor counts for far more rating I'm thinking thruster armor should be even more viable with this patch.

evilentity posted:

Did they said anything about character wipes?

No wipes planned, especially since they're charging money for RP.

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, repair bills?
gently caress.

Alternatively in high tier matches you can wait 6 minutes+ for it to repair. The more complex the bot, the longer the repair time. If you get blow up at the start of a match you will probably lose money if you don't wait for the repair.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 17, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, repair bills?
gently caress.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Repair bills were always present, you'd either wait until you got your stuff repaired for free, with the time taking longer depending on damage and tier, etc.. or you pay for instant redeployability.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Feindfeuer posted:

Repair bills were always present, you'd either wait until you got your stuff repaired for free, with the time taking longer depending on damage and tier, etc.. or you pay for instant redeployability.

People paid for that ever? I guess if your bot would take something like 5 minutes to repair maybe, but even at low-tier the cost seemed insanely high vs missing maybe one match.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
With today's changes and the fact that all weaponry in the game is hit scan based I don't see much life left for small flyers. Huge gunblimps may be viable though. Air speed just doesn't serve as that big of an advantage in Robocraft (I'm using a tiny craft with the best thrusters in the game). Players can pretty much point in your direction, hold M1, and hit something if they're in range.

Inzombiac posted:

Ohhhh, yeah I never used that mechanism. Seemed like a total waste.
I suppose it is in place to encourage purchasing and building new crafts in your hangers.

It's in place to encourage people to buy RP, especially at high tiers. If you have a small bot in low tiers repair bills are a non-issue.

Welp...

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 17, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohhhh, yeah I never used that mechanism. Seemed like a total waste.
I suppose it is in place to encourage purchasing and building new crafts in your hangers.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I for one quite like the new rewards. This is about twice as much as I'd earn from a good game before. Without the incentive to bloat into higher tiers to get better rewards, I feel like it's easier to maintain small high quality robot designs.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

7c Nickel posted:

I for one quite like the new rewards. This is about twice as much as I'd earn from a good game before. Without the incentive to bloat into higher tiers to get better rewards, I feel like it's easier to maintain small high quality robot designs.

What tier was this? I'm a big fan of rewarding good combat play.

Edit: paying repair bills is dumb. Alt tab and watch YouTube

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TwingeCrag posted:

What tier was this? I'm a big fan of rewarding good combat play.

I'm still in mid tier 4. I decided to go ahead and completely deck out my hover scorpion in black armor. Also made a few more minor changes.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I seriously feel that tiers 2-5 are the best part of the game, it doesn't seem varied or interesting at all any higher than that.

But that's my anecdotal experience so ymmv

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It sounds kind of like MechWarrior Online that way. Good at the start, but then changes came in so that if you want to do well at the high level, you can't use anything less than The Best, and there is a very clear Best to use.

Maybe that'll change once plasma cannons and railguns are in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was try a novel symmetrical armoring for hover fans and well... I'm much happier with my small lightly armored hover dart.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ran with this for a while. It worked decently. What happened is I could shoot my L5-S laser out of the ring but they have to break away the armour to shoot the gun.
The biggest problem was that I was always losing the front wheels. :argh: Most of the time I'd still be left with the main cannon, I just couldn't move at all.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm eager to try the new patch, haven't played it yet, but it appears it's now beneficial to optimise in a tier where you are competitive rather than stick a bunch of junk on to get into a higher tier. That is a good change, it's a shame that the changes made high level play worse, though I hear it was pretty crap to begin with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh drat this game, it's like crack to me! Help!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
With the latest patch there's a known bug with RP gains due to the new server side validation of robot tiers.

You should be getting the following victory bonuses per patch per tier:
T1: 100 | T2: 150 | T3: 220 | T4: 315 | T5: 441 | T6: 603 | T7: 804 | T8: 1046 | T9: 1325 | T10: 1634

According to the devs the fix is to save each Robot in every garage slow you have, i.e. to save your Robot, make a change to it, then load a different garage slot. I’m hoping this will re-initialize the Tier data for your Robot and you will begin to get the rewards you deserve.

Many players have reported mixed success with this method so YMMV.

There may also be some interesting exploiting (having your T1 count as a T8) you can do using this bug if you can reproduce it consistently.

Splode posted:

I'm eager to try the new patch, haven't played it yet, but it appears it's now beneficial to optimise in a tier where you are competitive rather than stick a bunch of junk on to get into a higher tier. That is a good change, it's a shame that the changes made high level play worse, though I hear it was pretty crap to begin with.

Yeah low and mid-tier play are still boat loads of fun and even more fun than they were before. High end weapons and armor are worth way more rating than they used to be so high end players trying to build awesome min/max bots doesn't really work.

Also you're completely right high tier play was nothing to write home about before so overall I think this patch is a positive thing for Robocraft.

There's also some welcome changes that were implemented shortly after the patch hit.

Mark (Design Jammer, Freejam) posted:

Based on the feedback I just did a few tweaks:

- Repair costs reduced by 20%
- Reward for damaging armor increased, particularly for killing high level armor, so you now get 40% more RP for damaging L5 armor for each cube you destroy

The armor bonus tweak is especially important in boss fight balance where players often face tanky enemies with lots of high end armor.

The lead developer on the game seems extremely receptive to community feedback and does not hesitate to tweak the game based on community feedback so that's a big plus in my book. He is also not afraid of admitting when bugs exist and working to fix them.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 18, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So currently, there's a bug going on where when you join the queue for a match, the timer will count down to 0, then just hang there not connecting anyone to a match at all. Practice still loads though.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Does the game open up a bit as you unlock parts?

I want it to be Nuts and Bolts so bad but it's just missing so much. I know it's Alpha though so hopefully the stuff they add really mixes things up instead of just being bland weaponry and blocks with incrementally more armor.

And more mass should equal more armor :colbert:

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

field balm posted:

Got into this yesterday, doing a pure booster jet with a podracer style design. So far I just fly in and cap, hardly kill anyone.

How does top speed work? Will adding more boosters keep add more speed or is there a sweet spot? Does mixing levels of boosters gimp you?

The mechanics and physics seem pretty solid for an alpha! Is there a screenshot button, printscreen doesn't seem to work in this for me (takes a picture of my desktop).

As far as I can tell, mixing boosters doesn't gimp your speed. However, the powered wheels will set a maximum speed for your bot, which applies even if you aren't on the ground. Adding helium blocks will also slow you down. The fastest bots I've seen all had tons of thrusters with steering wheels only. I think air blades do the same thing, but I'm not sure.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

The Royal Scrub posted:

Does the game open up a bit as you unlock parts?

Improved thruster engines and the helium blocks make flying bots increasingly viable.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This game has a windowed mode but I can't seem to adjust the resolution. Any tips? Trying to run the game at 2560x1600.

Edit: oh man you can't even adjust the mouse sensitivity. 1994 or whatever called.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 18, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can't adjust sound levels, can't adjust mouse sensitivity, character/vehicle constantly moves forward-left if the VJoy drivers are present in the system. At least this coding abomination is free.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kalstrams posted:

Can't adjust sound levels, can't adjust mouse sensitivity, character/vehicle constantly moves forward-left if the VJoy drivers are present in the system. At least this coding abomination is free.

Don't be a little bitch. It's not even in beta yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Don't be a little bitch. It's not even in beta yet.

Everything is beta or alpha these days. Anyways why they had to be hardcoded, reading settings from some .cfg file takes maybe 5 mins to code.

Edit: anyways here's my pimpwagon, just got tier1 armor cubes!

Any pro tips with vehicle design? Add more guns? :black101:

Any way to fit the chair to a smaller space? Currently it is 3 blocks tall so my wagon is 1 block higher than I'd want it to be.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread