Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mexcillent posted:

But, with all the weird TG baseless hostility toward perceived threats in White Wolf writing I wouldn't expect someone to have ever really thought about Sorceror's Crusade all that much.

Ahaha, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's nice that Iron Man became a capitalist war profiteer instead of a Psych Major, I guess?

Also the leaves metaphor for the beauty and death of childhood is hilarious and they need to keep riding that fucker to the bank and back. Talk about knowing your audience.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 13, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Anyone who thinks kids don't take things seriously has never had the fortune of actually dealing with children.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It helps to remember than there really aren't good concepts in C:tD.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
White Wolf has moved on to the more fertile fields of not making poo poo games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the expanded story is pretty racist trash where the unwashed pagans attempt to accelerate global warming because apparently gods are climate powered. There is a nazi plan to create a literal nuclear winter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

GimpInBlack posted:

By the way, looking at the TechNoir book, it looks like the first post of my review will cover character creation. So if anybody has a concept for a hard-boiled cyberpunk private eye or an avenging street samurai wandering the Sprawl with her deadly Hanzo steel, go ahead and post it now and I'll do up some example characters. Pics would be even better--TechNoir is even lighter on artwork than Aletheia was.

EDIT: Whoever got me the avatar and custom title, you rock.

Oh man, make a Peter Riviera. An artist with a bad habit of theft and a tendency to hurt more than necessary. For the art, you understand.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Majuju posted:

This is the most understated reading of Peter Riviera I have ever seen. The dude's a god-drat psychopath! That said, excellent suggestion, stat the poo poo out of him.

Well, presumably he needs to be PC Playable.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
TechNoir is astounding if only for allowing you to create the UrGoon method of internet browsing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

InShaneee posted:

(if you're looking for game balance, avoid the name "Mike Pondsmith").

Castle Falkenstein, buddy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Lets be honest, we barely learn poo poo about our own country except the highlight reels of all the wars we won/lost until undergraduate classes.

This certainly isn't a US problem alone, either.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's actually Chapter Three.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What kind of fly by night philosophy system neglects the wonderfully complex system of the Buddhist afterlife. You don't just pop right back up in a new body, dang it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sad they couldn't incorporate more of the source material and have Transhumanist as the class that is Best At Everything.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bieeardo posted:

I think it was someone around here who pointed out that the 'jotunblut' power of the Norse group as written up was shockingly insulting to Norse culture-- blood was something you shared with a man that you felt confident calling 'brother', not lesser bodies who might qualify as minions, and certainly not animals.

That was Rulebook Heavily in I think the Murphy's Rules thread.

Edit: Yep

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Sharing blood is a way to make someone as close as family. And that's quite literal: After a blood sharing rite, the people saring blood would be brothers. Period. You could know if it was by birth or by blood, but it didn't make a shred of difference. It's sacred, not in the sense of "a god made it so" but in the "this is a big loving deal" sense.

So when Scion posits that the Norse gods are regularly sharing their blood with animals, or worse, using this blood power to horrifically mutate things into fight-beasts, that's essentially saying that they take animals for brothers and that their blood is twisted, which is like calling them sheep-fuckers whose blood is so inbred and impure that it's a wonder they can talk and even the crows won't pick at their corpses when they're dead. That's not a fighting insult. That's a killing insult.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 6, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm pretty sure part of Gen's whole gimmick is that fireballs and Psycho Power and sonic boom kicks are party tricks you learn in your pursuit of ULTIMATE FIGHT MASTERY but eventually you surpass the need for them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The DM's Word, which is obviously law.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently they stop cloning dudes between movies, possibly because being a scary totalitarian state makes it cheaper to conscript than have your own locally grown artisanal clone jackboots.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like the dude in stripey Moebius pants. Hopefully there's more Giraud lookin' stuff in the book.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ixians are dudes from Planet Ix, who are the most advanced producers of "machine culture" and are just short of violating the ideals of the Butlerian Jihad.

The Bene Tleilax are the genetic engineers who make poo poo like Gholas and Face Dancers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They bred themselves to look super nonthreatening to other people. Tleilaxu are scary as hell.

The worst the Ix ever did was accidently unleash a horde of self learning self replicating pre-Butlerian hunter seeker drones and killed all of humanity in a possible future prevented by Leto II.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

occamsnailfile posted:

maybe Hank Pym shouldn’t feel so bad. Just kidding. Hank Pym doesn’t feel bad.

It says something that this is what irks me most out of that entire section, GMPCs and weakass thunderbolts included.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah that is some pretty mythically accurate Hades. Dude was probably the least worst of the three brother gods, because he just didn't give a gently caress about anything but playing post-mortem Sim City.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Forget Arachne, the pinnacle of Athena being petty is Medusa.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Chains of binding are from Sisyphus. Thanatos is told to go take the dude to Tartarus with the bling'ed chains directly instead of having Hermes be the psychopomp, which tips Sisyphus off. Thanatos is tricked into chaining himself up (because Sisyphus is heroically crafty or Thanatos is a dink, the world may never know) and nobody dies until either Ares or Sisyphus himself lets him go.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Set is my favorite god in the egyptian pantheon because, yeah, he's a dick. But he's also the fiercest defender of Ra during the 12 hours of the night when everything gets crazy and Apep comes around. And then his brother dicks over the boss (in some cycles. Egyptian myth is pretty messy because it is old old old) who Set is buddies with and he's calling himself king of the gods.

Except for the versions where it's not Set, it's Typhon. And instead of Horus Heracles shows up and helps Isis superglue her husband back together.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Castle Falkenstein is not only probably one of the top ten games in the hobby, it's also probably the best use of regular playing cards in a trad-game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All PDQ modifiers are by powers of two, so it's using the same notation.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The last thread was goldmined, so any review on the wiki can be read at your leisure!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Holy poo poo Adam X, where is your ballcap?

To be fair, the ability to set blood on fire by yelling the word burn at the top of your lungs is RIFTS as hell.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
"Hey dudes, let's not talk about the bits the book hasn't covered yet."

And somehow people can't even do that, Jesus.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Kurieg posted:

Wasn't 7th Sea pretty good before it moved to d20?

It was a flagship (OH HO!) system for many intolerable 90's concepts, chief sin among them being spend exp as cool benny points ie do cool things or advance.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Andras is possibly my favorite vestige story, although it's a tough competition. Just dropping the mic and walking off into the void because the new boss is pretty much the old boss.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Count Chocula posted:

Nobilis set my brain on fire like nothing since Unknown Armies and Exalted's Shaping Combat is how I see the world sometimes - it's a narrative that we tell ourselves.

Not the world's most ringing endorsement.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If a dude says you just have to think harder at a thing while also admitting his real life thinking has been altered by reading elfgames you can probably assume his advice won't help that much.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A Harlem Globetrotter but for Euro-Football instead of Basketball.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A perfectly normal father of one of your friends who certainly isn't an octopus at all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The best part of Dark Force powers is that IN CANON one of the Jedi Elders campaigned to have Force Lightning recognized as a not-evil use of the force. He called it Force Justice or something similarly EU.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How do you multiclass in OctaNe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Davin Valkri posted:

Did proper mechanically-backed genre emulation really only happen in the 2000s? It feels weird hearing about stuff like that Indiana Jones example in an age where Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Leverage, Atomic Robo, and Double Cross are all readily available.

(Not saying those are the only ones, but they've all been noted, here or elsewhere in TG, as being very good at thematic reinforcement.)

Turns out people learn things over two decades. If this wasn't nerd poo poo we would have learned it earlier, but them's the breaks.

• Locked thread