Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

AmiYumi posted:

I don't know the details/contents - like I said, I never saw the book until I'd stopped playing - but from all the cross-references I'd assume it's the "infernalists, devils, & hells" book, yeh. I'm pretty sure the Nephandi/Marauders were covered in a seperate book, which of course also referred to/assumed you owned a copy of Path of Screams in several places.
It's about the various groups of Nephandi, what they do, how you join up and what special powers they have. Infernalists are treated as a subgroup of those. Marauders are covered in Path of Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Spoilers Below posted:

It fostered a lot of my early interest in philosophy
Now that's just sad. I wonder how many people who didn't get a philosophy degree got stuck at that point?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Also nMage, because every setting that has loving Atlantis as its primary conceit is retarded by default.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Why? Atlantis is a a classic concept.
Because it is a cliché so ancient it's literally pre-Christian and played out in just absolutely every sense imaginable. Anybody who uses it is scraping the bottom of the creative barrel hard enough to make a hole in it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

It's (possibly not very good) German for "consumes blood".
It doesn't actually mean anything, because German grammar doesn't work like that, but the closest thing would be "tastes blood." By way of funny coincidence, it's a pun on "tastes good" in exactly the same way as it would be in English. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tasoth posted:

Need an alarm clock? Coax an already existing one to reproduce. Want a oven with a stop top? Try to breed your currently existing ovens into it.
That would be a pretty hilarious idea for a setting all by itself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm just disappointed you can't play in the Prussian Sky Empire, fighting the evil french Sorcerer-King. That sounds like a great game right there.
Really. Why would you want to play in "boo hoo everything sucks" London when you could be a Prussian Sky Pirate instead?

Man, I am having Seventh Sea flashbacks all of a sudden.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strictly speaking, the Lovecraftian meme occupies a place in the King in Yellow's mythos. Robert W. Chambers precedes Lovecraft by a good thirty years. The cloud waves and the black stars are a nice little bit of attention to detail.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The scenario examines all that; House Tytalus actually isn't the primary opponent of the plan. House Bonisagus is.
Dollars to donus that Tytalus is 'yay' just because Bonisagus is 'nay.' It's the kind of contrarian thing they would do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Majuju posted:

I just went looking for a mirror of Buttlord GT and it breaks my heart that it seems to have been scoured from the internet :(
Rejoice!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It would be nice if you actually explained what each of the skins is. I have no clue what the chosen or the mortal do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dead Inside is a surprisingly fun and optimistic game for having the premise that you're a soulless abomination and life sucks and is sad and boohoohoo. :qq: I've never actually played it, but it's a fun read just for how many of your expectations it subverts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Apparently she flirts with muscle men and magic men all the time, and when spurned, she'll punish them, but often feels bad about her temper and goes to tries to make up. Fickle women never know what they want, amirite? When she has an affair, she usually gives a bunch of aid to her beau, but eventually gets bored and moves on. She has had affairs with dozens of major gods, and if people knew just how many gods she's hosed, there would be scandals.
Accurate to the myth, for once. Mythological Ishtar was notorious for her many lovers and how they always seemed to come to bad ends. She famously tried to murder Gilgamesh with the Bull of Heaven when she came on to him and he turned her down, citing how being loved by her was usually detrimental to your health.

quote:

Listen to me while I tell the tale of your lovers. There was Tammuz, the lover of your youth, for him you decreed wailing, year after year. You loved the many-coloured Lilac-breasted Roller, but still you struck and broke his wing. You have loved the lion tremendous in strength: seven pits you dug for him, and seven. You have loved the stallion magnificent in battle, and for him you decreed the whip and spur and a thong. You have loved the shepherd of the flock; he made meal-cake for you day after day, he killed kids for your sake. You struck and turned him into a wolf; now his own herd-boys chase him away, his own hounds worry his flanks."

Her response? Give me that bull or zombie apocalypse.

quote:

If you refuse to give me the Bull of Heaven then I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be mixing of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of the dead will outnumber the living.

Sumerian myth is the most hardcore myth.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes. The thing is, when you go through toe pantheons there's a.... let's say a dearth of respectable female deities even amongst the "good" pantheons. And you can point to myth, but Pantheons of the Megaverse isn't shy about changing what it wants to change, so it gets a wearying when you've gone through the whole book.
I know, I just think it's a cool myth and I wanted to tell people about it. :shobon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

I always figured that the Butlerian Jihad referred to the robots themselves- it was a holy war to purge robotic servants- a Jihad against -Butlers-.
If you ignore the stuff written by Herbert's son, that's pretty much accurate. The Jihad originally wasn't supposed to be an actual war, it was an ideological battle against humanity's complete dependence on thinking machines for every task.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kult is kinda like that, by way of being a Gnosticism-flavoured setting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Interesting thing is that Set is specifically a god of Foreigners, and his demonization came after several countries conquered Egypt.
Set is a pretty old god even by Egyptian standards, so it's natural that he changed substantially over the thousands of years he was worshipped. Originally, Set was the chief god of Upper Egypt, which was a separate country from Lower Egypt for quite a long time before they where eventually unified. He became identified with foreigners after a number of outside rulers conquered Egypt and identified him with their own chief god, Sutekh, which is incidentally also where that particular name comes from.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I figure it's the logical conclusion to the ridiculous balance issues and power creep the game has. Can't find any decent enemies anymore for your party of godling-dragons in glitter armour? Send them after all of mythology! We'll even make everybody a giant rear end in a top hat so your players won't have to feel bad as they butcher their way through religion after religion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghurka Burger, Jesus Christ. How is this not the most popular game ever?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I would really like to do Wraeththu some time, but there's no PDF version available and I'm not about to spend $40 on a joke.

I win!
It has already been done in the last thread in some detail, anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't that basically the premise of every RPG heartbreaker ever, though? :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

We're told the "Hindu's term for demons is 'asuras'", basically hey hate mortals and are always fightin' the Indian gods, though sometimes the war is cold. It notes the Rakasha (from the Rifts Conversion Book) are also demons. Of course the real Asuras are more complicated in mythology, more akin to earthly or material spirits who were later demonized as sort of a force opposed to the gods. But yes, here they're just generic evil, genericing it up.
Asuras are always angry at the gods because Vishnu cheated them out of Amrita, the nectar of immortality, after they did the most dangerous part of churning the Sea of Milk. They haven't been on good terms with the devas ever since.

Dairy products are really important in Hindu mythology.

They're often called the "jealous gods," because they are celestial in nature but not above the pettier passions of human nature the way the greater gods are.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

That’s probably enough for one long post. Those three are pretty major in Norse myth and Rifts hasn’t really done them any wrong.
Do they mention that Thor is a fertility god, not a god of war, and that Mjöllnir is a metaphor for his penis? Because that's what everybody gets wrong.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

a "Sword of Truth" that does 1d6 x 10 to demons and 1d6 x 100 to gods and alien intelligences
It also gives +3 to flying kicks against toddlers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Go with Ancient Enemies. Everything about the metaplot has been stupidly boring to read so far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

As always, you bought the book. It's your game. Play it however you'd like.
But don't you dare have Tagers pilot mechs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ettin posted:

You know that thing where you start telling a joke and then someone yells out the punchline, or waits until you're done then makes the same joke but spells out the punchline?

That's you guys.
What are you even talking about?

[edit] Just to be clear, I wasn't spoiling anything. I was making a joke about that one time a CthulhuTech dev posted angry posts on RPGCodex about how mixing Tagers and Mechs meant you weren't playing CthulhuTech anymore. I was kind of a lame joke but I didn't expect anyone to start making GBS threads their pants over it. If you were planning to make the same joke later that's hardly my fault.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 8, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

:rolleyes: Yeah, whatever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

"Hey dudes, let's not talk about the bits the book hasn't covered yet."

And somehow people can't even do that, Jesus.
I haven't read the book. It was a completely unrelated comment. Sorry I can't look into the future, Jesus.

wdarkk posted:

Hasn't "you can't be a mech-piloting Taeger" been covered in the corebook? Because it doesn't seem to be new information.
It isn't, they keep saying that literally every time Tagers or Mechs come up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's the reason fundies hate everything to do with hippies, so why not?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

These are "dimensional adventurers and mercenaries" who come from a low-G planet with a thick atmosphere that lets them "swim". Can that really happen?
On Titan a human being could fly just by flapping their arms vigorously. Doesn't even take an alternate universe.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

7th Sea? Although I don't know about the sailing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

It was a flagship (OH HO!) system for many intolerable 90's concepts, chief sin among them being spend exp as cool benny points ie do cool things or advance.
It was also really cool, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's actually pretty cool and flavourful. I like that the fake seals mesh really well with the real seals, I almost can't tell them apart.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if we've actually encountered any 'fake' vestiges yet. But they did put a lot of work into the ones they had to make... at least with the published books.
A few of them. Savnok and Karsus definitely are, they obviously have a whole different style. The others might be using seals from the Goetia that I just don't recognize, I only leafed through a copy for fun once.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Chosen really is so Buffy it hurts, up to and including the sex move. It's hilarious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The idea that some creepy-crawlies like vampires and fairies are so superhumanly sexy that they transcend sexual orientation is something of a genre convention, so I don't fault Monsterhearts for going there. It's trying really hard to be faithful to its source material, so reproducing that part of it was kind of unavoidable.

Besides, it's not like I haven't seen people from either side of the fence act against their stated preferences for someone who's "just that special" first-hand.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Libertad! posted:

In regards to sexual orientation, it is regarded as something people do and not a part of a person's identity. Even people who exclusively prefer partners of the same sex are expected to marry the other gender and raise a family, with discreet same-sex relations being overlooked as long as they can provide for their spouse and children. Homosexual and bisexual people are not seen as monstrous or evil, rather they're viewed as excessively lustful. Same-sex activity is not illegal, but on the other hand they are not recognized as valid marriages.
From what I've read, this is a fairly accurate representation of how sexual orientation was dealt with at the time of the great African empires.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

2nd Ed was definitely more fun to read, but 3rd Ed is much better at explaining how it wants to be played. I also like what they did with Hell for 3rd Ed, it's a very novel idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nobilis is awesome because one of the most important and powerful Nobles is canonically the Power of Blankets. As in bedsheets. Because they're omnipresent, are with you in your most intimate moments and can easily strangle a bitch, the Power of Blankets has become one of the most useful tactical assets in the war on Earth. He does espionage and assassinations of troublesome mortals and low-Aspect Nobles both.

Sure, you can play the Power of Explosions or whatever if you're into that sort of thing, but you can do that anywhere. Being the god of bobbleheads and making a competely serious career out of that is what really makes the game for me.

• Locked thread