Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just started reading this and am caught up. I think the robot girl (Ichigaya Teruru -- if I got that correct) will be the next harem member. I expect she'll be moving into the house soon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

A few things I appreciate about this manga, other than the gripping harem aspects are:

1. Sidonia has enough resources. They never seem to be worrying about material resources. In fact, we don't see the manufacturing facilities, but they exist, and how. They're making new stuff all the time, and their tech is pretty drat sweet. That big ball of ugly stuff surrounding the ship appears to be a resource blob, and they get new resources all the time. I appreciate this fact as the story can focus on harem antics (and ancillary, humanity's quest for survival) rather than whining about how they're running out of titanium, etc.

2. Sidonia itself is over a 1,000 years old, but it's not some broken down hulk limping along. The ship is quite nimble for its size, and it has an active, working and wide range of weapons -- including planet busters. It's not that the people of Sidonia can't make new weapons, it's that they can't make weapons that'll kill the Guana because the Guana are just that hard to kill. They are making progress though through the series and have gotten a lot better at killing Guanas.

3. Humanity's versatility -- over a thousand years have passed and we have a ton of transhuman capabilities. Ageless (immortals, but they can be killed), intersex people, cyborgs, bears, and so forth. Pretty cool. Why isn't everyone "immortal" though, if they can make one person, why not everyone?

4. While we don't hear much about the pilots and their battle with g-forces as they pilot their mechs, Sidonia itself suffers from g-forces when on the run from Guanas. I just wonder how the oceans fared when they blasted their engines to escape that one Guana early on.

Some thoughts:

1. Seii Ichiro -- gave up his position as XO to Yuhata because he recognized her talent and realized she would do a much better job than he would. He probably wanted to get back to piloting a mech anyway. I like the way her talent was recognized early on and used. I do wonder how he noticed this. She had to be just one junior trainee among hundreds of trainees.

2. I didn't know that Kunato was responsible for Hoshijiro's death. I reread the manga for that, and it's not apparent to me. Kunato flips a switch and something shows up on a screen, and I guess Tanikaze is supposed to do something, and doesn't because he didn't realize he was supposed to, and Hoshijiro dies? Can anyone explain that further?

3. Seems to me the Guana "eat" a human and then "learn" the ability to mimic that human. But, they vacillate between wanting to use this newfound ability to destroy more humans or maybe communicate with them? So far, it seems like destroying is more the norm except for when Benisuzume/Hoshijiro tongue-tentacle frenchs Tanikaze a few chapters back That's a kiss to remember! (Tanikaze gets all the girls, doesn't he? Was this his first kiss?) I do wonder if they're trying, in some way, to communicate.

4. We don't know much about the Guana, but they seem to have some sort of society as they travel in large groups. Right? It'd be nice to learn more about them. I feel like this is Attack of the Titans where we have no idea what the Titans are about. We have no idea what the Guana are about either. Except, the Titans seem more threatening to me. I don't know why I feel that way, though.

5. Shiraui Tsumugi is the best. There were a couple of scenes where I actually burst out laughing while reading the manga. One for sure is when she just appears while Izana and Yuhata are taking a bath at Tanikaze's house. The other was when she opened the door and met Yuhata for the first time at the same house. Tanikaze is like, "Where's Tsumugi? We have to hide her, quick!" and she's opening the door like she owned the place.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm not sure if it was really tasty or not, but I get the impression it did taste good. Tangerine and all.

That arm is bothering me. Get it fixed already!

Apparently, robots don't like bears.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

trucutru posted:

Clone-girl. soon.
Immortal-girl. give it time.
Bear-girl. not so likely
Who is the clone girl? I'm drawing a blank. The Immortal is obviously the Captain. She has all the time she needs as she's immortal and so is he. Give it a few centuries and she'll be moving in with the rest of them.

Yeah. The bear needs to keep out of this.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

First off, gas giants are like a dime a dozen in any galaxy. Plus, they have no life on them since life only ever existed on Earth and then there's Guana. So, blowing the poo poo out of a gas giant is nothing. Right?

Second, (youtube video somewhat relevant to the last episode) big girls are beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSK91mUNLU

Third, I always thought you needed four-hundred-plus people to have a viable survival population. Apparently, not.

I guess Sidonia was never in too much trouble. I would imagine that repopulating correctly over the next 100 years still took some serious effort. What concerns me is that they don't seem to have any "normal" humans left. They're all either photosynthesizers or some other type of hybrid (transgendered, immortal, and who knows what else -- robots and even half-guana).

Haven't we learned, time and time again, that not keeping some kind of pure genetic base-stock will ultimately bite you in the proverbial rear end in the late game of genetic engineering? Look at what happened to those little gray aliens on Stargate SG-1, for example!

• Locked thread