Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's fun to see the geographical spread of football, from the Ivies to the midwest, then to the south. Most southern college teams didn't pick up the game until the late 1880s/early 1890s. Florida had an awkward start at small colleges, then the Buckman Act created Florida and Florida State as single-gender schools.

There is also The Ghosts of Herty Field. It's about the University of Georgia's early days and pretty fascinating because the author was able to talk to several players of that era, as it was originally printed in 1966.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Either that is not from 1938, or they're missing some teams. TTU had a bunch of good seasons starting in 1932, in the border conference with Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, and UTEP (along with a few current lower-division schools).

TTU's first bowl was the 1937 Sun Bowl (a 7-6 nail-biting loss to WVU). Tech lost their first Cotton Bowl the next season to St. Mary's.

Mercer was still playing in 1938 and I just noticed that Miami (Fla.) was considered insignificant back then. They were playing because the local junior college boasts of beating them in that era.

It's also missing HBCUs. The SIAC was definitely active back then. I'm regretting not having done much research on them when I was looking up other stuff in the Atlanta Daily World.

Georgia State (now Savannah State), Fort Valley State, Albany State, Morris Brown, Clark, Paine College, Rust, Xavier (La.), Tuskegee, Edward Waters, Tennessee State, FAM-C (FAMU), South Carolina State and a ton of others were playing football.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

bewbies posted:

Is there more information on the...bodycount...from the turn of the century? How were the players dying? Did games just go on if someone was killed on the field? How many more players were permanently crippled? What was it about the game that was causing such...massive casualty numbers? Were catastrophic injuries happening with the same frequency?

Through possibly as late as the 1920s, some newspapers printed body counts.
1897 from the Kansas City Journal. Several areas considering banning football.
1909 from the Rock Island Argus

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Look at what I found

http://www.poniesfootball.com/page/show/541862-ponies-in-1895

:coal: Football records from 1895. High schools playing colleges? Apparently!

Let me introduce you to the University of Washington.
1900-09 and 1910-19.

There wasn't much of a difference between small universities and high schools. Some were actually no more than prep schools or little better than them as education was really just beginning to catch on as public schools.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My favorite piece of vintage equipment: the "executioner's" helmet/facemask combo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

Has the 1-point safety ever actually happened?

These are the only two known occurrences in college football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp4TeP4rw0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLKbpWLHJ8

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wheez the roux posted:

if you want to watch old football games, Wazzu has a shitload of stuff I helped digitize on youtube http://libraries.wsu.edu/masc/footballfilms

there's one from 1916 and another in the 20s but the collection really picks up in the 30s

I picked the 1937 Gonzaga game because I wanted to see someone who didn't currently have football.

I'm mesmerized by it. It's at Gonzaga. I have no idea which team is which, but someone has frequently been shifting the quarterback (#35) to right of center, so they can direct snap it to a 77. Both sides have tremendous pants designs.

The down markers are downright snazzy. You can get a good view of it at 6 minutes in.

Passing is pretty rare, but there is a great play at 17:30. Also, no one is any good at passing or receiving.

The biggest issue for filming are the light poles, which are right by the field.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It is snowing in Idaho in 1938 and the fumbles are great. No one knows just what to do here, so they just keep punting, especially in the 3rd.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

How many colleges actually had big stadiums at this time? With big being, say, 25,000 seats?

Wikipedia does have this list of current Division I stadiums, with Grant Field being the oldest, but I know that Harvard Stadium existed at this point. Was anyone else regularly playing games in a stadium of size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's so strange to think in that direction that I've been seeking out pictures of the lack of endzones.

Here's Yale Field in 1905, with the grid layout:

Also from 1905, North Carolina-Virginia:

The Library of Congress, by the way, has some pretty cool photos of early football.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread