Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So Ive made a couple threads over the years with mostly a passing mention of my 56 IH S130 dump truck but never finished it or a thread for that matter. My only new years resolution this year was to get this truck done. THIS TIME I WILL. Some people that have been around a while have probably seen it but I'll go through the history for any new AIers.

Back in 2009 my great uncle, lets call him B for the thread, ran a small landscaping business passed away. Before he died he asked if I could run the business while he was sick but he died before I could get back from Florida where I was living at the time. Since he still had obligations I went ahead and ran the business for a year and ended up liking it a lot. That and B had been in business for 55 years and never got rid of a piece of equipment or a truck. He kept EVERYTHING. Most of the stuff that was outside was ruined but a few things that were in the garage survived like this here poo poo spreader. Being the car guy that I am I wanted to fix up everything I could.

He used this truck for many many years. From what I gather from A, my still alive uncle, he used it all during the 70s and 80s for work. Then in 1990 the engine locked up over the winter and the truck literally just sat around gathering dust until I got here in 2009. Its completely rust free and in unbelievable condition. It was even painted not too many years before the engine got stuck, it was red originally.

First thing I did was pull the head off to see if I could get the engine freed up. I found the rear cylinder full of coolant and tried everything I could beat on it with but had no luck getting it free. I think I first messed with it in 2010. I had a guy that knows a lot about these trucks come out to help me and we unbolted that rear cylinder from the crank and were able to turn the other 5 cylinders over. Still no luck getting it free so I decided to pull the engine out and just get it rebuilt.

Here is where the old girl sat in quiet slumber since the first Bush was in office.

This is the first daylight it saw in 20 years

55 years of International rust prevention caked onto the engine.

Stay tuned for more sexy straight six action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I can't wait to see it running!

Also don't forget to post Corn Chips photos.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
YES! A thread for this beast. I'm stoked to see this thing run since I've only ever seen it in various states of dismantled.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Last time I saw it your uncle was standing in the engine bay. Can't wait to see the progress!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Hell, I haven't seen the truck in person, but I'm drat excited to see an old truck get some love.

#neai

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Less truck more Corn Chips

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The head off the stuck engine of sadness

So I pulled it out. Its kind of a pain to take the engine out because for one it weighs 600-650lbs and is long. At some point I smashed my finger nail with a hammer, hard. Like drop to my knees and dont make a sound because I coudnt breathe, hard. My finger nail turned purple instantly and fell off a few weeks later. The worst part was that night when I had to drill into the nail with a tiny drill to relieve the pressure under my finger nail. Anyway, here I am taking the monster out

Disassembled the floor to try to get the transmission separated only to find that the only way to get the bellhousing off is to lift it over the flywheel and that floor joist was directly in the way and unboltable. Mind blowing that they made it so you can remove most of the floor but not the one important thing thats in the way. I ended up just unbolting the trans from the bellhousing.

This was scary with all that weight up so high in the air

Bonus Corn Chips EXTREME CLOSE UP!!!!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
This thread is great, looking forward to more Corn Chips updates soon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You finally made a thread. AWESOME.

I also like how most of the neai crew posted first. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sweet. You plan on using it for work when it's done? It would be cool to see an old truck like that still in service.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Even if he didn't wanna use it for work duty, it'd be good advertising to slap your logo on both sides and cruise around in it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I definitely plan on using it for work. Just light duty pulling the trailer for mowing. I won't be hauling dirt and mulch with it since I can just use the 86 for that. I worry about using up the brake drums because they are NLA so until I can find some I'm stuck with what I have.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Surprisingly though I was able to get a new all aluminum radiator for it from radiatorexpress.com. I just have to paint it so it matches.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We still need to hit up those yards in East Brookfield and Southbridge to see if they have any. It's the goofy 6xhuge pattern and 14" diameter, right? I read through half of the service manual you have while taking a break from welding on Ace's truck one day but can't remember how the backing plates were set up. I know there were like 9 different designs and none of them have compatible parts and it made my head spin.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its nice to see these old trucks get a new lease on life.

Though I never did get to see what your Flat Head V8 go into yet....

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea we do. You probably know more than I do so far since you would know what to look for on the setup. It is 14 inch iirc.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its nice to see these old trucks get a new lease on life.

Though I never did get to see what your Flat Head V8 go into yet....

The flatty is going into my friends 48 F1. It's still in there but we have to finish the dump truck first so you haven't missed anything yet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

I definitely plan on using it for work. Just light duty pulling the trailer for mowing. I won't be hauling dirt and mulch with it since I can just use the 86 for that. I worry about using up the brake drums because they are NLA so until I can find some I'm stuck with what I have.

What is the drivetrain like? Two speed rear end?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nope just a single with 6.16 gears. 4 forward gears but I don't know if first is a granny gear or not yet. Its a crash box too so I'm going to have to brush up on my double clutching.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fart Pipe posted:

The flatty is going into my friends 48 F1. It's still in there but we have to finish the dump truck first so you haven't missed anything yet.

There are a million F1s, F2s, F4s, Fwhatevers in that yard too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

There are a million F1s, F2s, F4s, Fwhatevers in that yard too.

No poo poo, we should have Joe come with us.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Nope just a single with 6.16 gears. 4 forward gears but I don't know if first is a granny gear or not yet. Its a crash box too so I'm going to have to brush up on my double clutching.

Wow. At 55mph that's like completely wrapped out eh? Assuming a 30" tire around 3600 RPM.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I think top speed is about that because I was told that 3600 is the absolute red line for the engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

Between "front drums" and "no longer available drums", I'd be looking into my options for a disc swap if I were you.

Either way, this is awesome.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Between "front drums" and "no longer available drums", I'd be looking into my options for a disc swap if I were you.

Either way, this is awesome.

Yea that is a thing to think about too. I have some time to figure it out though as the truck only has 42k on it so the drums are fine and I'm just planning ahead.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
What would you say the likelihood is those drums are full of asbestos?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right, hold your breath when you take those things off. Might wanna have a shop vac handy too :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sandbagger SA posted:

What would you say the likelihood is those drums are full of asbestos?

You have a better chance of winning the powerball than those drums do of NOT being asbestos.

The only way I'd use a shopvac for old brake dust is with a brand new HEPA filter... honestly the best route to go with doing those brakes would be to park it on jackstands, place an oil drain pan lined with 6 mil poly under each brake assembly, then use brakleen to flush all the dust, grime, grease, and everything else off into the poly. Then seal it up and double bag it before the brakleen puddle dries up.

That being said, basically every old shop is going to be full of asbestos dust, lead paint dust, chromate based corrosion prevention coatings, and basically every other nasty carcinogen under the sun. To say nothing of the mass quantities of carcinogens in gasoline :suicide:

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 9, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder how many old shop mechanics died of cancer :ohdear:

Being exposed to all that poo poo is one of the reasons I decided to not be a mechanic for a living. It's not as bad these days but still no picnic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

I wonder how many old shop mechanics died of cancer :ohdear:

Being exposed to all that poo poo is one of the reasons I decided to not be a mechanic for a living.

Paint guys die really early and they seem to go downhill pretty fast before they do.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

That truck is in fantastic shape! Looking forward to watching where this one goes :)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

SPOILER ALERT: Ive already fixed the brakes. When I took each drum off I rinsed everything in brake cleaner onto a cardboard box underneath until everything was spotless then I burned the box in the burn barrel later on and didn't stick around to breathe the fumes. I cant get new shoes for it without sending them out to get them re-lined so I put the ones that were on there back on. So far all Ive done is replace the wheel cylinders and put everything back together. There was still plenty of asbestos on the shoes for them to stop the truck for another 30k or so I just put them back on.

Here are some pictures from when the engine was at the machine shop. The block after disassembly and hot tank

The head all cleaned up. This engine actually had hardened valve seats on the exhaust side from the factory. I had asked them to put them in and was very surprised that something this old already had them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This truck is beautiful, it just so 'America'.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

you know the ash in the bottom of your burn drum is now full of asbestos now, right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ferremit posted:

you know the ash in the bottom of your burn drum is now full of asbestos now, right?

I think we need to keep in mind that he's dealing with asbestos - once - in his life. He's not a miner in Libby Montana pulling it out of the ground every day for 20 years.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea that burn barrel is long gone anyway and has been replaced.

Check out my huge crank

And here is the engine back from the machine shop. They ended up having to smash the piston out of the cylinder. Its been bored .40 and rebuilt with NOS parts. I had the machine shop do just the bottom end and head because it was getting pretty expensive and I could do the rest.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I love old iron, so seeing this come together is awesome.

How hard is it to find water pumps and stuff like that for this beast?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I was able to find a new water pump, radiator, wheel cylinders and rubber brake lines so far. All of it from rock auto except the radiator.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Yay Pipkin! I've been seeing that car for years and now it 's a real project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fart Pipe posted:

The head all cleaned up. This engine actually had hardened valve seats on the exhaust side from the factory. I had asked them to put them in and was very surprised that something this old already had them.

That's IH for ya. When they switched the Scout to unleaded fuel the some total or modifications IH made to the truck was a sticker that said "Unleaded Fuel Only" on the dashboard.