Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea the starter still sucks rear end but at least now I know I'm close now. It started 2 times, that video being the second and then it wouldnt start again. I'm actually going to check the windings next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
IT'S ALIVE! Well done sir. Here's hoping you can get that starter figured out soon. Sounds like you might be making progress with the solenoid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At least you have a known-good starting point so you can stop worrying about whether it's the ignition timing or something else making it so hard to fire.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Exactly. I feel a lot better about it now. Left the battery on the charger overnight and it started right up this afternoon. My gf and I were standing right next to it while it was idling and she asked if I had named the truck yet. I jokingly said something like "stupid bitchface shitfucker" or something like that and I poo poo you not it immediately stalled as I said it. The gas can it was running on ran out, haha.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Some vehicles have a soul. Some do not.

I think you've already figured out this one.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

No kidding. She just started again a few minutes ago so it might be time to name the old girl.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hey guys, GUESS WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DwXo6rx9DE

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Complete with Granny Clampett chair.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Haha, my gf said the same thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

This is how a truck should start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622w5W4EvdE

Also got all the lights working, I had to time it just right to get that left blinker in the picture

The generator still isn't working but that shouldn't be a big deal. If I cant fix it myself I'll bring it back to the electrical shop.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
CONGRATS MAN! Its good to see the old girl under her own power.

PS, you've been shorting us on cattespix.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Did you polarize the generator?

Awesome project! What a great feeling when something moves under it's own power.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I already tried polarizing it. I think I have to take it apart and clean paint off the grounds and stuff like that. I had to take the carb apart and check it out because it wouldn't idle. I think I got it so Ill check out the genny next.

It was definitely the best feeling to finally be driving it after all that work. All those late nights and dreaming about driving down the road.

I have been slacking on the cat pics. Ill fix that soon.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got a few little things done today since it was raining. Floors back in, PTO lever and driveshaft hooked up, parking brake works, put the proper clevis pin back in the clutch rod and put the running boards back on. I need to order a new float and sending unit for the gas tank. Luckily there is one for a Ford that will work on my truck that is still available. Its starting to look like a truck again.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its purely a parts availability question....

But is converting it to 12 volt operation completely out of the question? Or are the parts that much of a bitch to find?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its not that big of a deal to change it but I want to see how well the 6 volt works for a while. I'd like to keep it as original as possible if I can.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So Ive been doing some tweaking, I think I got it just right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0agA3Sj1N8

Here it is at idle now. I just have to adjust the valve lash when its warm. One rocker is way off but I had to do it cold to get it started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb7H8ogEdE

Also the dump bed works!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

So Ive been doing some tweaking, I think I got it just right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0agA3Sj1N8

Here it is at idle now. I just have to adjust the valve lash when its warm. One rocker is way off but I had to do it cold to get it started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb7H8ogEdE

Also the dump bed works!

GET OUT CHAIR AND CARPET.

I am surprised that you didn't have any hydraulic issues to go with the bed.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

When I hooked the dump up the other day I didn't know it was in the "on" position so when I let out the clutch yesterday it started going up. I didn't realize it until the truck started shaking and I thought there was something wrong with the engine. Luckily I saw it before I took out my garage door and ceiling, haha.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Put the doors back on yesterday

Corn Chips looking away as soon as I took the picture

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I drove it around a little today. I think I need to brush up on my crashbox driving skills. That grinding is normal, right :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BngklzWAIc

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That gearbox sounds so awesome. I want to drive it!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its sooo much fun. I cant wait to get tags and drive it on the road.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
How many horsepower did that thing have when it was brand new?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bhp was 131 at 3600 rpms, 208.5 ft/ lbs of torque at 2000.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Bhp was 131 at 3600 rpms, 208.5 ft/ lbs of torque at 2000.

Gross, of course, not net.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Gross, of course, not net.

True, its 60 years old but it has massive amounts of torque, it would drag my 86 GMC dump truck all over the road.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Listening to the gearing in the video, I am not surprised to hear it has tremendous applied torque.

Does it have an external overdrive, an auxillary transmission or a variable final drive? Just a little interested as to how fast it'll be turning over at highway speeds.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Those were options but all this one has is a 4 speed and 6.16 gears in the rear. I dont think it will go much more than 50 mph.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did some work on the flathead this weekend. Put the studs in and checked the height of them with the head on. Apparently they are different lengths and my buddy had to take some of them out and put them in the right spots.

I got all the wheel bearings re-packed with grease and the brakes adjusted so I took the generator off to see why it wasn't charging. I think I found the problem. A bunch of broken windings, for some reason they were rubbing on the front plate. Hopefully the electrical shop has a spare armature I can buy and then figure out why the spacing was wrong. I'm not sure what happened, I put the generator back together the same way it came apart.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That truck sounds amazing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

88h88 posted:

That truck sounds amazing.

Im considering an unmuffled stack for just that reason, it sounds amazing.

So I went back to the electrical shop today to see if they had an armature to fit my genny. They didn't have a used one but were able to get me a brand new one for 75 bucks and will have it tomorrow. A good deal so I went for it. I just have to figure out why it wasnt shimmed right.

I put the gas tank in the other day and it was working fine. Then today for some reason there was a pinhole leak in it. I just got done soldering it up and Im gonna see how it holds once the water dries out.

Almost there!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Gas tank and generator fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA2H4HlfD_Y

Put the hood back on and washed it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I said it before and I'll repeat it. That fucker looks amazing and you did a fantastic job.

Also: we need video of that flatty v8 running with one head off.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thanks man, its been an adventure for sure. This is the most work Ive ever done on one vehicle. Feels good, man

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

We pulled the flathead on my buddies 48 F1 today

Its gettting a new flatty with a cam and a synchronized transmission. Movin on up

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Been tearing down the old flathead to put some of the stuff on the new on

Oil lines and sender cleaned and RPMed

Thermostat housings and timing cover cleaned and painted, timing cover is now black too

Road draft tube cleaned

and primered

One of the water pumps and the other part of the road draft tube primed

and of course the CHIPS looking all smug

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive been slaving over a hot stove my grinding wheel while my friend is out getting drunk with his friends :qq:

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Fart Pipe posted:

Ive been slaving over a hot stove my grinding wheel while my friend is out getting drunk with his friends :qq:

:argh: Would his initials be 'JD' by any chance? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yessir. You havent seen that truck yet? Itll be here on Friday if you guys stop by.