Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I'm from London, my girlfriend from Stafford/Birmingham. I've been trying to convince her that given it's past the Watford Gap, Birmingham is either the Northern South or the Southern North. However she insists that it's neither of these. Please advise, and help me win domestic bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
it's called the midlands you loving sped

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I deny the existence of such a place. And anyway, if you look at a map it's /way/ further south than the middle of the country.

Also it annoys her in funny ways to lump her in with either the south or north.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Southern-North deffo mate.

the worst of both worlds really.
No money like Northerners & no personally like Southerners.

Unlucky sods really...

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Getting back to Manc today. Sound Control is ace that guy was right.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
taking my friends from back home round Chorlton tonight cos we are so loving cool.

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.

britishbornandbread posted:

taking my friends from back home round Chorlton tonight cos we are so loving cool.

Ohh chorlton... Your friends are in for a treat!

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

The Saurus posted:

Megadyptes and GoodbyeTurtles let's have a southwest goonmeet where we silently drink cider and real ale in an empty pub

Drinking too much Cornish rattler in a quiet pub is pretty much my life.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
scones with clotted cream and jam to soak up the alcohol? why yes i think i will

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

The Saurus posted:

it's called the midlands you loving sped

and it is the best

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

shabutie posted:

and it is the best

Not true. The midlands if they existed would beat out even Scotland in the 'poverty and stupid accents' stakes.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

fort boyard had tits in it sometimes jfyi

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Thirteenth Step posted:

fort boyard had tits in it sometimes jfyi

evidence? these are my two fav things

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I love how everyone from Birmingham seems to have left Birmingham yet when you encounter them in Weston-Super-Mare or wherever they still just complain about loving Birmingham all the time.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Tortuga posted:

I love how everyone from Birmingham seems to have left Birmingham yet when you encounter them in Weston-Super-Mare or wherever they still just complain about loving Birmingham all the time.

This. A thousand times this.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Fort Boyard is French. French!

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Prenton posted:

It's time for an important scientific survey

a) Where did you grow up
b) Do you know who Purple Aki is
c) How surprised where you to find out he is actually real

quote:

Arobieke was released on licence from prison on 26 October 2006. Unusually, Merseyside police applied to Liverpool Magistrates' Court for an interim Sexual Offences Prevention Order against him, although he was never convicted of a sex offence. Under the terms of the order, Arobieke was banned from touching, feeling, or measuring muscles; asking people to do squat exercises in public; entering the towns of St Helens, Warrington, or Widnes, without police permission; and loitering near schools, gyms, or sports clubs.[6] The ban was later overturned as "draconian" [12] but remained in force after a successful appeal by police.[13]

On 25 May 2007 Arobieke approached a man in a shopping centre in Preston and commented upon the size of his biceps before "touching them without permission". He was arrested shortly afterwards, on suspicion of breaching his Sexual Offences Prevention Order, and remanded in custody.[13]

He was later convicted of breaching this order[14] and jailed for a further 15 months,[15] with the muscle touching ban being made permanent.

Lol what a mentalist.

Lol touching muscles is against the law.

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.

Tortuga posted:

Weston-Super-Mare is about a million times more tragic a place than Birmingham could ever be.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Tortuga posted:

They probably regret moving and are trying to convince themselves they made the right decision.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Darse posted:

Weston-Super-Mare is about a million times more tragic a place than Birmingham could ever be.

It's poo poo, but it's like Saint Tropez to the Birminghams.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Tortuga posted:

It's poo poo, but it's like Saint Tropez to the Birminghams.

in what way?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ponce de Le0n posted:

in what way?

It's not Birmingham.

Anywhere seems amazing in comparison.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Camrath posted:

It's not Birmingham.

Anywhere seems amazing in comparison.

Clearly you haven't been to London or any big city up north lol

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

I've seen Brummie dads moved to tears at the beauty of the sight of their kids kicking through the mud and syringes under Weston Pier.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Darse posted:

Seriously. Is there any coastal town in the UK that isn't a complete shithole praying for the day it finally slides under the waves?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Lyme Regis is cool and literally like Saint Tropez

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I live a few miles from lyme regis and it has a pretty nice cobb and you find fossils literally everywhere you can dig out

west bay is the beach where the locals go, though it's pretty boring

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I went to Blackpool once. A drunk dude on the seafront called me a twat. Probably the most enjoyable seaside experience the UK has to offer.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Clearly you haven't been to London or any big city up north lol

gently caress you, london born bred and raised here. Barring a 5 year soujourn in Aberdeen that nearly drove me to suicide. Seriously, colour is loving illegal in that city.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Camrath posted:

Seriously, coloureds are loving illegal in that city.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Vitamins posted:

Seriously. Is there any coastal town in the UK that isn't a complete shithole praying for the day it finally slides under the waves?

southwold is pretty nice but its full of people from London, same with places in north Norfolk being Chelsea-Next-The-Sea.

but yeah, great Yarmouth and Lowestoft are shitholes, especially the former

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Jakabite posted:

Getting back to Manc today. Sound Control is ace that guy was right.

Going tonight! All you mancs that aren't going to sound control are losers.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vitamins posted:

Brighton is pretty awesome

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Coming from the black country is kind of annoying because

1) stupid southerners think you're from birmingham and

2) stupid americans (ie all of them lol) think you're being racist when you say that's where you're from

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009

Vitamins posted:

Welsh beaches are nice if you don't mind freezing your tits off for the five seconds there's a break in the 'welsh rain' to justify shorts.

Also too many English, you are the worst.:colbert:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Studied in Brum for 4 years, thought I'd escaped the place when I finished uni but ended up getting a job down in Coventry.

It seems you can't escape the West Midlands once you are tainted

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Vitamins posted:

Plymouth is... Okay, you're right.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Vitamins posted:

Deal is pretty much the best place.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vitamins posted:

I live in Southport the only hope I have is that when it slides in to the sea it takes me with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I live in Southport the only hope I have is that when it slides in to the sea it takes me with it.

Oh god I'm so sorry. :smith:

I've always wanted to go to the Welsh beaches but that means driving through dead ex-industrial/mining towns and if I wanted to do that I'd just stay in the North.

• Locked thread