Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
wait, this sitcom isn't a nonfiction documentary? Count me the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I love the Ft. McGee logo, "Yes We're Soldiers."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nobody expects gin!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Nobody expects gin!

Why do we keep drinking beer? It's awful

Yay, more free beer!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The sinkhole joke at the end was hilarious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show doesn't deserve to exist, but as a vehicle to hear Keith David's dulcet tones I hope it gets 5+ seasons.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Good News!
Enlisted got a a 1.0 in the ratings. A huge rise from the .6s it had been getting. Possible renewal if it keeps this up? Probably not, but keep hope alive

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Postal Parcel posted:

Oh, someone else who watched Finder :hf:

This is good-ish news. It could be Fox showing hope for it...or it could be Fox trying to get rid of both shows at once. We'll see.
I like the show, so I hope it lives

'sup fellow fan of The Finder? :hf:

How did a show this funny, touching and good end up on Fox?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Anyone else get "Blue Mountain State" vibes from this show? It's a fun, silly show that you definitely don't have to think too hard about. Good for the Saturday morning hangover.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure I see the comparison, but I did like BMS too so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some crossover appeal.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
He took out the medic for the
TOUCHDOWN

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This show is amazing, I wish it wasn't basically DOA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently this week's episode was supposed to air later which is why the relationship stuff felt like it came out of nowhere.

Also the ex-husband was played by Brandon Routh which probably means the character is going to be sticking around for a while.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

This show is amazing, I wish it wasn't basically DOA

It's true, it's all true.

Ah hah, arson.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love this show. Too bad it was given so little a chance.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Postal Parcel posted:

He took out the medic for the
TOUCHDOWN

I have a bruised rib and that stiff arm made me laugh so hard I wanted to cry.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

I love this show. Too bad it was given so little a chance.

Friday night fox comedy? That seems like a place to put something to burn off whatever episodes were produced before the network weighs the cost of paying for more just to fill the timeslot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An actual opening?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Hey little boy. I've been watching you for a long time.

...Let me start that over

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bahaha I don't know how you could not like this show. I just watched all the episodes in a row and it's hilarious. If this show could gain some traction, Park would definitely become a breakout character. I've only ever seen Tania Gunadi as the Korean waitress in that one episode of It's Always Sunny but drat I hope she gets more roles she's hilarious.

Although I do have to wonder where the fat black solider went after the first episode :tinfoil:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just when I thought I already loved the show they go and throw in some Andy Daly? Alright show you've got me more hooked somehow.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

drunken officeparty posted:

Although I do have to wonder where the fat black solider went after the first episode :tinfoil:

Must be a sick call ranger. Just like the rest of second platoon who were all in good shape and well disciplined in the pilot but for some reason not a single one except Perez (their platoon Sargent) was available to play in the football game.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cyks posted:

Must be a sick call ranger. Just like the rest of second platoon who were all in good shape and well disciplined in the pilot but for some reason not a single one except Perez (their platoon Sargent) was available to play in the football game.

Real answer is that he went to another show. It happens sometimes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Real answer is that he went to another show. It happens sometimes.

See:Damon Wayans on New Girl prior to Happy Endings cancellation

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

drunken officeparty posted:

Sinkholes are real!

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I really love this show.

Since Rake is pretty much dead I hope they try and move it on Thursdays at 9pm instead I really think it could grow in audience if they gave it a chance

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even though it was written quite early on in the season, I think Uproxx got this years comedies about right in their listing: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/shtcom-watch-5-new-comedies-deserve-second-season-pick/

I was thinking about where I'd put Enlisted based on other shows that had only aired a handful of eps, and it really has to be up amongst the top. Maybe not as good as Goldbergs (which took a little while to get really going but now is great), but maybe a little better than Trophy Wife to me, albeit pretty different shows. Hoping Fox look past the ratings and realise they've definitely got one of the more quality titles, and if it wasn't for Dads their average would be excellent this year.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know, I think the list is terrible. There's no reason for The Millers to be higher than The Crazy Ones, or the Michael J. Fox show to be so high.

I would agree with you that it's slightly better than Trophy Wife too. If i had to give my top 5 new sitcoms of the year, it'd probably be:

Brooklyn 9-9
Enlisted
Trophy Wife
The Crazy Ones
The Millers

Both Enlisted and The Millers are on that thin line where it could get really corny and too broad, but while The Millers crosses that line way too often, Enlisted manages to avoid ever crossing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I personally hate The Millers, but I also watched about 5 or 6 episodes of The Crazy Ones and saw no real reason to keep going on that either. I thought MJF was a good chunk better than those shows, even if it's nothing ground breaking and I've not watched the last 3 or 4 episodes.

I quite liked Back in the Game, I'd have liked to have seen that at least complete it's season.

But yeah it's the top of the list that matters... B99, Goldbergs, Enlisted, Trophy Wife are worthy of second seasons, the rest I don't really care about their fates.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

I personally hate The Millers, but I also watched about 5 or 6 episodes of The Crazy Ones and saw no real reason to keep going on that either. I thought MJF was a good chunk better than those shows, even if it's nothing ground breaking and I've not watched the last 3 or 4 episodes.

I quite liked Back in the Game, I'd have liked to have seen that at least complete it's season.

But yeah it's the top of the list that matters... B99, Goldbergs, Enlisted, Trophy Wife are worthy of second seasons, the rest I don't really care about their fates.

I like The Millers only because I love the cast so drat much. I pretty much like to love all of them, so I am purely watching to see these people act in something even if the material barely rises above tolerable. I like them enough because I find that the actors are good enough to rise about the material.

The problem with MJF show for me is the fact that it's just bland and univen. It doesn't have a firm grasp on its characters and they really change personalities from episode to episode. Some days they are very close and clearly care for each others, others they are almost a Always Sunny-level of dysfunctional.

His sister might be the worst example in the cast. One episode she's just a lazy woman who refuses to grow up and writes article for cosmo but is otherwise just a normal human being, and in another episode she literally believes she's having an affair with a ghost.

The material is ok, all the actors are usually solid actors, it just doesn't do it for me. It just feels bland and boring. I mean I'll watch and enjoy it but ultimately just don't care. It's been cancelled, so I just deleted all the episodes from my dvr and deleted that season pass

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Twee as gently caress posted:

I like The Millers only because I love the cast so drat much. I pretty much like to love all of them, so I am purely watching to see these people act in something even if the material barely rises above tolerable. I like them enough because I find that the actors are good enough to rise about the material.

I like the cast a lot too, which is why it utterly pains me to see them in something so bad. Same with Tom Lennon in Sean Saves The World. I can't put myself through that much awful just to see people I like on TV.

quote:

His sister might be the worst example in the cast. One episode she's just a lazy woman who refuses to grow up and writes article for cosmo but is otherwise just a normal human being, and in another episode she literally believes she's having an affair with a ghost.

Have you written that in another thread here before? I swear I've read those exact same words in the last few days somewhere...

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 11, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like the cast a lot too, which is why it utterly pains me to see them in something so bad. Same with Tom Lennon in Sean Saves The World. I can't put myself through that much awful just to see people I like on TV.

Yeah I love Tom Lennon too but SSTW was so terrible I couldn't bring myself to watch more than about 2 minutes before I turned it off.

Still better than Dads, I don't think I made it past 30 seconds before rage quitting.

quote:

Have you written that in another thread here before? I swear I've read those exact same words in the last few days somewhere...

I think so yeah, because that was the tipping point for me to stop caring at all about this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And they all lived happily ever after, I assume.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
A totally not Keith David retrospective
but then he got the worst news ever :shock:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, this episode is really awkward out of order seeing we had the episode where Derrick was already dating the bartender.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yeah I love Tom Lennon too but SSTW was so terrible I couldn't bring myself to watch more than about 2 minutes before I turned it off.

Still better than Dads, I don't think I made it past 30 seconds before rage quitting.

I think so yeah, because that was the tipping point for me to stop caring at all about this show.

Wait, do you mean this as meaning enlisted or MJF?

e:Keith David with Kid'N'Play
It's like the 90s except only one is still relevant

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
You'd be surprised what you can Afghanistan, it's so true. I got out of so many speeding tickets just by keeping my Bagram badge in the car.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even though it was written quite early on in the season, I think Uproxx got this years comedies about right in their listing: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/shtcom-watch-5-new-comedies-deserve-second-season-pick/

I was thinking about where I'd put Enlisted based on other shows that had only aired a handful of eps, and it really has to be up amongst the top. Maybe not as good as Goldbergs (which took a little while to get really going but now is great), but maybe a little better than Trophy Wife to me, albeit pretty different shows. Hoping Fox look past the ratings and realise they've definitely got one of the more quality titles, and if it wasn't for Dads their average would be excellent this year.

1-2-3 are the only shows that I kept up with, list checks out.

It doesn't seem to include the mid-season shows right?

edit: of course not, it was from early in the season :downs:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh poo poo! I didn't realize we had a thread for this! I love this show and I think it's a great lead-in to my favorite sitcom, Raising Hope.

I was really afraid this was going to be "Stripes - the TV show" but I'm happy it's much more than that. Like Raising Hope, it's often very sweet while being pretty drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This show gets weird sometimes.

"I found a man sized bird cage."

"He trapped me in it!"

• Locked thread