Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First episode airs: 9pm, Friday 10th January on FOX.

From the network that brought easily the best new sitcom this year, Brooklyn 99, comes another show that looked great from it's teaser at the up fronts this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpZ79FXs-eI

So Who is Involved and Why Do I Know Them?

Geoff Stults plays Sgt Pete Hill, and you know him from Ben & Kate, The Finder, Happy Town and October Road.

Parker Young plays Randy Waits, and you know him from Suburgatory

Keith David plays Cody Wallace, and you know him from The Cape, as well as being a voice actor in seemingly every animation/video game ever made.

Chris Lowell plays Derrick Hill, and you know him from Private Practise and Veronica Mars.

Angelique Cabral plays Jill Perez, and you probably only know her from small bit roles so far.

Executive Producer Kevin Biegel has had writing/production roles on Scrubs and Cougar Town, which should give a good idea of what to expect.

Executive Producer Mike Royce has similarly had writing/production roles on Everybody Loves Raymond, Lucky Louie and Men of a Certain Age. We forgive him for his involvement in 1600 Penn as long as he doesn't bring it up.

It's been pushed back into the midseason, it only has a half season booked and it's starting out life at 9.30pm on a Friday? Someone up there doesn't like Enlisted, so luckily other people do!

Maureen Ryan:

quote:

"Enlisted" is essentially a workplace comedy, and it's rare to see a comedy come out of the gate with this many specific -- and amusing -- supporting characters. The members of the platoon aren't on screen merely to set up jokes for the core trio; these goofballs and their camaraderie are funny in their own right. These actors may not get much screen time, but they make the most of what they get, and I look forward to seeing their personalities develop over the course of "Enlisted's" first season.

Between the broad comedy of the prank war in an upcoming episode, the subtle reactions and dry delivery of Pete and Derrick and the loosey-goosey moments of levity provided by the platoon, "Enlisted's" humor has a pleasing variety and density. The show is never content to settle for one kind of comedy, but "Enlisted" never feels tonally jarring or indecisive, nor does it feel frantic or overstuffed. This is simply a comedy with a well thought-out premise and nicely sketched characters; the pilot is solid, and the show only gets better from there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/enlisted-review_b_4561973.html

Alan Sepinwall:

quote:

Mixing humor with pathos is a tricky business, and more often than not, sitcom scenes that try to deliver a heart-warming moment ring false. Even the drama on "Scrubs" didn't always feel earned. Through four episodes of "Enlisted," though, the emotions flow smoothly together with the jokes — and, at this early stage, are probably the stronger part of the show — and the characters (also including Angelique Cabral as the friendly but competitive leader of a rival unit) are instantly likable.

"Enlisted" is so charming, so quickly, that it probably deserves better than a Friday at 9:30 timeslot — but then, lead-in "Raising Hope" is arguably too funny to be airing Fridays at 9. Hopefully, FOX's expectations are realistic, because they've got a potential gem here.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-foxs-enlisted-finds-laughs-and-heart-in-army-life#kA3OlC1wioKWc1xM.99

So watch it, if you want.

e: Oh yeah, Ron Funches is in it... he's a pretty funny dude.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keith David! I would follow his silky voice into battle.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

To add to the good portents, the showrunner is Kevin Biegel. Biegel joined Scrubs in its fifth season and later became a key member of the Cougar Town writers.

Plus, the EP is Mike Royce who's most known for Men of A Certain Age. Which is way, way better than it sounds.

Basically, if this were any other creative team I'd be worried about the challenges in trying to write a sincere yet funny sitcom. But these guys' resumes are nothing BUT shows that have blended drama and comedy to incredible results.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The previews for this looked really good, but Fox looks like they don't have a ton of courage in it. It and RH really shouldn't be in death spot Fridays. But, I'm still remaining hopeful!

I'm a sucker for incompetence where discipline is expected(e.g. Reno911! and other federal agency comedies)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

Keith David! I would follow his silky voice into battle.

Narcissus1916 posted:

To add to the good portents, the showrunner is Kevin Biegel. Biegel joined Scrubs in its fifth season and later became a key member of the Cougar Town writers.

Plus, the EP is Mike Royce who's most known for Men of A Certain Age. Which is way, way better than it sounds.

Basically, if this were any other creative team I'd be worried about the challenges in trying to write a sincere yet funny sitcom. But these guys' resumes are nothing BUT shows that have blended drama and comedy to incredible results.

Cheers guys, I added a little blurb about cast/crew into the OP now so people know what roughly to expect from the feel of the show.

I don't want to jinx anything, but the group nature of the show gives me the same kind of vibe I was expecting from Community before that aired, and while the timeslot won't make this a hit, I'm hoping that RHs audience stay true to that show and then stick around for this. A not awful premiere rating would help a lot, I'm sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This starts in about 90 minutes. I'll be asleep but looking forward to seeing how right I am in the morning. Prove me wrong, suckers.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Starting up now

Edit: First scene was a bookend to the week
AH had a sucker punch, and so did Enlisted

Edit 2: Bradley Cooper-R.I.P.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 11, 2014

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Oh good, there is a thread.

First thought: This looks dumb, then I laughed most of the way to the first commercial break. It may just be the right kind of dumb for me.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Chubowski. And those jumping jacks. And Park, from Always Sunny. And the Italians, who look like they don't suck!

:swoon:

I'd say the brothers are so-so, but the recruits are so great. SOOOOOOOOOO great.

Edit: Aww, gently caress Randy.

Edit 2: Aww, 3 cute puppies this week. B99 and enlisted :3:
Pretty good start. I'm already like the recruits, and the brothers grew on me a bit. Waiting for next week to really decide.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 11, 2014

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I give it a B. See ya next week.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That was pretty entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the gag where they decided not to look for the lost dog, and there it was in the very next scene.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, that pretty met expectations (the up front trailers are always so long you know pretty much what to get). Looking forward to going forward, but I'm dreading when the viewing figures came through. Quite a few critics/twitter people were trying to push it over the last few days at least.

One thing I noticed... they sprung for Thunderstruck to use at the beginning (never a bad thing), but settled for a really bad Sigur Ros soundalike for the end?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Davros1 posted:

That was pretty entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the gag where they decided not to look for the lost dog, and there it was in the very next scene.

The dog actually appears a few times. I think I saw it like 3 times before they actually find it.

I really liked the show. It was pretty fully formed coming out of the gate. Sure there's other things they could maybe improve, but the jokes were definitely there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It pulled in a 0.7, worst of the big four all night. Dead in the water :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

It pulled in a 0.7, worst of the big four all night. Dead in the water :(

Poor Geoff Stults. He's such a fun actor, but he just can't get a show that lasts. I loved The Finder, liked him on October Road (which was a terrible show, I'll admit, but he was good on it) and so far I love this.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I really cant get over how they refer to the infantry fighting vehicle as a tank.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Hizawk posted:

I really cant get over how they refer to the infantry fighting vehicle as a tank.

I thought that too, but on the other hand: rear detachment joke?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7X56C_cnMQ

They mentioned the tank thing here.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

It's loving shameful how much was wrong in the Pilot. However, the show just wasn't funny. I don't really understand what they are trying to accomplish with the comedy. It doesn't make for a good workplace comedy when the source of the workplace comedy is usually R or X rated to begin with. This show would probably be much funnier if on HBO or other network where the hosed up nature of soldier comedy can be shown.

Being on Fox diminishes the potential. And it just wasn't funny.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

EL BROMANCE posted:

e: Oh yeah, Ron Funches is in it... he's a pretty funny dude.

Glad you made that edit. I did a complete 180 as soon as I read that.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

thrawn527 posted:

Poor Geoff Stults. He's such a fun actor, but he just can't get a show that lasts. I loved The Finder, liked him on October Road (which was a terrible show, I'll admit, but he was good on it) and so far I love this.

Yeah, I was one of like 3 other people that loved The Finder and Geoff Stults is the only reason I decided to watch this. I'm glad I did. I thought it was really funny and the hands on heads thing was kinda adorable :3:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Are we cancelled yet?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sereri posted:

Are we cancelled yet?

Don't be surprised if FOX sticks with this one.

I mean, certainly don't be surprised if it's yanked off the air within the next couple of weeks, but don't be surprised if FOX lets this season play out. They're not participating in Pilot Season this year (and they don't intend to do so ever again), which is going to leave their cupboards a little slim for some time. They'll need to hang with whatever they've got because they won't have a whole hell of a lot waiting in the wings.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Parker Young is an absolute treasure and his character here is basically the same personality as on Suburgatory, except in Army form instead of Perfectly Built High School Wrester form. Ron Funches is awesome, too, so I'm gonna be doubly pissed when this inevitably gets cancelled.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Really liked it. This year is great for new comedies, still watching 5 new ones with Enlisted. A too really liked the Finder and am still sad it got cancelled (and that we lost Michael Clarke Duncan).

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Wow, Top Chef: Army

Edit:
And we have created a new mass murderer who has been drilled hard

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 18, 2014

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The IMDB reviews for this show are fucken hilarious:

some dumbass posted:

As much as people love to bash "Two and a Half Men" and "Anger Management", those shows have real written jokes that are actually funny to many people. This show tries some prop/physical comedy and fails utterly. Where M.A.S.H. writers composed many a plot based on the lunacy of the army, this show tries and fails miserably when it gives the misfits a silly task to pursue. Not only is it not believable, it's not funny.

army dumbass posted:

As an Army vet, there's plenty to make fun of about the Army, and military in general.

I have no special place in my heart for the Army, nor keep it sacred in any way. I love making fun of Soldiers, the military experience, and patriotism in general.

But this is show is just dumb, and a cheap cash-in on the Army.

I can assure anyone watching, there is nothing even remotely authentic about this depiction of a platoon of losers.

Stripes probably even did a better job than this.

Get this garbage off the air, or do your drat homework, Fox.

Every one of the reviews by ex-military pissed that its not an accurate portrayal of army life is amazing - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741950/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Qmass posted:

Every one of the reviews by ex-military pissed that its not an accurate portrayal of army life is amazing - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741950/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

It's not that it's inaccurate (obviously is inaccurate) it's just not funny at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's inaccurate (who cares) and it's funny.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Qmass posted:

I was in the Army from 1994-2000, it was a fun time to be in the military before poo poo got serious after 9/11. The show is exaggerated, but rings mildly authentic to some of the antics we got involved in. When the Stinger missile platoons were off playing war games, we hung out in the back and partied (motor pool) until something needed fixing. When we did have to play laser tag with everyone else, our platoon sergeant got us the key to turn off the sensors, it was like playing a game in God mode; the wrenches win again! That guy sleeping on his rifle? I did that. I like the show, hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Sgt. Bilko was somewhat accurate to my experience too.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 21, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I hope this show makes it across the pond, it looks pretty great. I really liked Bluestone 42, so this sounds right up my alley.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If 'across the pond' you mean the UK - it does feel like the kind of thing that E4 would pick up if the price is right (and it gets enough episodes made).

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Fox is moving the show to a new timeslot on Friday. Now on at 9pm, after Bones! :dance:

Everyone seems to think this is a good sign for the future of the show, and I hope it is, because man, I dig Geoff Stults, I enjoy this show and I'm another one of the few people who actually watched The Finder.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

SilentChaz posted:

Fox is moving the show to a new timeslot on Friday. Now on at 9pm, after Bones! :dance:

Everyone seems to think this is a good sign for the future of the show, and I hope it is, because man, I dig Geoff Stults, I enjoy this show and I'm another one of the few people who actually watched The Finder.

Oh, someone else who watched Finder :hf:

This is good-ish news. It could be Fox showing hope for it...or it could be Fox trying to get rid of both shows at once. We'll see.
I like the show, so I hope it lives

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amended the OP to reflect the new timeslot, lets hope both people who watch the show are aware its moved!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This show does a lot of stuff right with the military. Of course it stretches some, but I find it hilarious, and it reminds me a lot of that time in my life. And those people.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I haven't watched this show yet because it looks really stupid, but have the show's writers explained yet why none of the soldiers have regulation haircuts?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because why in the world would anyone care? It's not a documentary, the setting is an excuse to make jokes that haven't been done on network TV in a while.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I guess that makes sense, I just have to view this show as being about the military about as much as The Simpsons is about nuclear energy policy, and then I can watch it without feeling confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Eh, because regulation haircuts look loving stupid an it's a comedy?

• Locked thread